Darrelle Revis: I did not enjoy my time with Patriots

jackhuntr

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

“No, I did not,” Revis said plainly, with a laugh. “You know, I'm happy for the grind and the hustle of winning Super Bowl 49, but you know waking up every day and walking into the facility and having to deal with the tension, you see why they've been to ten Super Bowls. You see the hustle and the grind of it, but at the end of the day, there's other philosophies to win and it doesn't have to be that way.”

There are always other ways. Some are just more effective than others. (Brady was probably 90% of it though) As pro athletes it should be a professional atmosphere. It's why some teams win and others are consistently sh*t. Maybe some guys are more interested in a comfy lifestyle off the field, and a chill work environment, as opposed to winning on the field. To each their own, but as a fan I know which player I prefer.

MIAMI – The quote is what everybody keeps coming back to with Ruben Sierra.

When he was traded from the Yankees in 1996, the talented switch-hitter issued this infamous gripe: “All they care about is winning.”

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Is that really how you saw the situation?

It's certainly not the way I did - I guess that's why we view him and the situation so starkly different.

Doesn't matter how I see it. Hating a player for maximizing his earnings is just not a position I understand. I side with the millionaires over the billionaires every time.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Does he?

He would have a place in the ring of honor.  That might be better...and they are connected, especially the hall of fame ones.

Look at guys like Mangold, Chrebet, Gastinaue, Klecko, Bart Scott even Damien Woody. 

Of course they are connected, beloved by the fan base and clearly enjoy the connection.

A spot in Jets ring of honor beats a lombardi? I dunno... FYI he will get both anyway. After the butthurt fades and calmer heads prevail he will be rehabilitated and recognized for his period of absolute dominant play as a Jet. This is doubly true if he goes into the HOF as a Jet. I wonder if there has ever been a HOF'er not in the ring of honor of the team he was inducted as.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

A spot in Jets ring of honor beats a lombardi? I dunno... FYI he will probably get both anyway.

I will tell you this and I mean it sincerely, the day he's in the ring of honor is the day I'm no longer a Jet fan.

And yes, for me - I would prefer Ring of Honor over a championship.  I don't think it's as far fetched as you might believe.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Doesn't matter how I see it. Hating a player for maximizing his earnings is just not a position I understand. I side with the millionaires over the billionaires every time.

Well, you made a claim that he had no choice because the Jets traded him.  From my view that's not what happened. 

After that, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the player and the man.  I don't like the guy, you do.  That's totally fine.  

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, you made a claim that he had no choice because the Jets traded him.  From my view that's not what happened. 

After that, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the player and the man.  I don't like the guy, you do.  That's totally fine.  

Did I say he had "no choice?" No. I said once he was a FA do people think he should've told the Pats he wasn't interested because he played for the Jets once? That's ridic.

I wonder how many of us would pass our own purity tests with our employers.

The hate for a dude wanting to maximize his earnings is really lame.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Did I say he had "no choice?" No. I said once he was a FA do people think he should've told the Pats he wasn't interested because he played for the Jets once? That's ridic.

I dont like him because he completely dogged it his second go around here. Also one of the more overrated players of all time. No beef on the financial side. He was able to con the Jets and that's the Jets fault.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I will tell you this and I mean it sincerely, the day he's in the ring of honor is the day I'm no longer a Jet fan.

And yes, for me - I would prefer Ring of Honor over a championship.  I don't think it's as far fetched as you might believe.

Start scouting for a new team then because if he goes into the Hall as a Jet (which seems likely)  he's definitely going in the Ring of Honor. 

And yes, I do believe that well over 50% of players would take a championship over a team honor. Can it be proven? Nope. So I guess no reason to debate it. Anyway it is moot he's got the ring, he's getting the HOF, and he's getting the Jets honor. All while maxing his earnings. The dude won. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Just now, Matt39 said:

I dont like him because he completely dogged it his second go around here. Also one of the more overrated players of all time. No beef on the financial side. He was able to con the Jets and that's the Jets fault.

Ok that's different. I was responding to the folks who said they hate him because "he's forever a Patriot."

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

"Jets traded him... What was he supposed to do"

Are we really going split hairs on intent.  

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

"Jets traded him... What was he supposed to do"

Are we really going split hairs on intent.  

Yes, he was traded by the Jets. People are saying he should have rejected the highest offer (from the Pats) because he played for the Jets once? I didn't say he "didn't have a choice," I am saying it's ridiculous to insinuate making that choice makes him a POS.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Start scouting for a new team then because if he goes into the Hall as a Jet (which seems likely)  he's definitely going in the Ring of Honor. 

I actually thought that wasn't a thing in football like Baseball - I'm certain I was told that on this board.  But I've never been to Canton so not sure if that' true.

But if he's in the ring I'm out.  I won't need a new team - I'll just be done with a NFL.  Only thing keeping me around this awful league is this unhealthy passion for the Jets.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I'd say his comments about the Patriots caring about winning first makes me dislike him too. 

Well he was the greatest Jet player during my lifetime and he put on an absolute clinic on how a player can actually buck a system constructed to greatly benefit the owners. But feels win in today's society. I get it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I actually thought that wasn't a thing in football like Baseball - I'm certain I was told that on this board.  But I've never been to Canton so not sure if that' true.

But if he's in the ring I'm out.  I won't need a new team - I'll just be done with a NFL.  Only thing keeping me around this awful league is this unhealthy passion for the Jets.

I don't get it but if you choose to die on that molehill, good on ya.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Yes, he was traded by the Jets. People are saying he should have rejected the highest offer (from the Pats) because he played for the Jets once? I didn't say he "didn't have a choice," I am saying it's ridiculous to insinuate making that choice makes him a POS.

I have a hard time you're believing what you're saying.  Honestly, we're talking about 3 hold outs in three years...This is not taking a higher offer situation.  

This is a guy that was out for himself far beyond anything I've ever seen from a professional athlete..again, that's fine, but I don't have to like the guy.

then he does go to the Pats - which I don't love but the least of my concerns - it's when he came back and literally didn't even try.  I mean there were times he would just step out of the way of tackles.  Not a little bit but an obvious - I'm not getting hit for this sh*tty team.  

Again, his prerogative, Jets stupidity, but I don't have to like him for it.  You're welcome too.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

I have a hard time you're believing what you're saying.  Honestly, we're talking about 3 hold outs in three years...This is not taking a higher offer situation.  

This is a guy that was out for himself far beyond anything I've ever seen from a professional athlete..again, that's fine, but I don't have to like the guy.

then he does go to the Pats - which I don't love but the least of my concerns - it's when he came back and literally didn't even try.  I mean there were times he would just step out of the way of tackles.  Not a little bit but an obvious - I'm not getting hit for this sh*tty team.  

Again, his prerogative, Jets stupidity, but I don't have to like him for it.  You're welcome too.

Good thing I don't have to convince you. I wrote what I believe. Your go-to is to scream "bad faith" when people disagree with you. If you think I'm lying, than good day.

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Good thing I don't have to convince you. I wrote what I believe. Your go-to is to scream "bad faith" when people disagree with you. If you think I'm lying, than good day.

When did I say "bad faith" (see I can do that too.  :-))

Seriously though, I didn't mean  "I have a hard time believing..." - in the bad faith way. the way you're reading it - or to be honest the way it reads..  It was meant as a colloquialism - but I guess it didn't translate - my bad on that.

When did I say "bad faith" (see I can do that too.  :-)

Seriously though, I didn't mean that - I have a hard time believing you're being serious - in the bad faith way. the way you're reading it - or to be honest the way it reads..  It was meant as a colloquialism - but I guess it didn't translate - my bad on that.

If that's an apology, I accept.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, jgb said:

A spot in Jets ring of honor beats a lombardi? I dunno... FYI he will get both anyway. After the butthurt fades and calmer heads prevail he will be rehabilitated and recognized for his period of absolute dominant play as a Jet. This is doubly true if he goes into the HOF as a Jet. I wonder if there has ever been a HOF'er not in the ring of honor of the team he was inducted as.

You know I read this and it struck a tone with me.  I feel we are in the early innings of the Darrelle "Jet for Life"  rehabilitation tour.  All with one thing in mind, fame/recognition/personal gain for the post-football "Revis Inc." 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

You know I read this and it struck a tone with me.  I feel we are in the early innings of the Darrelle "Jet for Life"  rehabilitation tour.  All with one thing in mind, fame/recognition/personal gain for the post-football "Revis Inc." 

Can't speak to any of that but I do not see a scenario where Revis is not a Jets Ring of Honor member.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Does he?

He would have a place in the ring of honor.  That might be better...and they are connected, especially the hall of fame ones.

Look at guys like Mangold, Chrebet, Gastinaue, Klecko, Bart Scott even Damien Woody. 

Of course they are connected, beloved by the fan base and clearly enjoy the connection.

Yes, Fido he literally has a ring.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Is that really how you saw the situation?

It's certainly not the way I did - I guess that's why we view him and the situation so starkly different.

Yes, Fido he literally was traded.

FYI: Profound, try-hard takes on actual facts don’t make you sound like an intellectual.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, jackhuntr said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/afc-east/new-england-patriots/nfl-world-reacts-to-darrelle-revis-patriots-admission/amp

Play Video

By Jordan Cohn, Audacy Sports
WEEIFM.jpg?width=60&height=60&crop=1:1
October 12, 20219:18 am

Not too long ago, LeGarrette Blount joined a podcast and discussed how the locker rooms of two teams he had spent time with — the Eagles and Patriots — were like “night and day,” though he enjoyed both of them in different ways. In New England, he said he appreciated and thrived on the hard-work and no-nonsense environment that Bill Belichick instilled.

RELATED

How did another former Patriot, albeit one who had a shorter stay, feel about the locker room?

“Nobody likes it in the locker room. Just being honest, nobody likes it.”

70306cab02134d02858e9408b4d8ac5d96bb9bd1
Podcast Episode
I AM Athlete Podcast
Darrelle Revis | Who Was Responsible For The Success In New England, Tom Brady or Bill Belichick?

Listen Now

Well then. Apparently Darrelle Revis didn’t speak to Blount about his opinion of the locker room, but the main point here is that Revis is not all too fond of his time with the Patriots, despite picking up a Super Bowl ring in his lone season there. He joined the “I AM ATHLETE” podcast and spoke about why he liked Rex Ryan during his long stint with the New York Jets, but was not a huge fan of Bill Belichick once he landed in New England.

“It's just, it's two different cultural philosophies,” Revis said (2:59 mark). “You know, Rex is a little bit more loose. He likes dogs, he wants you to go out there and play hard, run into a wall, that's fine. But there’s a lot of news going on right now with Bill, in terms of him and Mr. Kraft, and there's a lot of stuff surfacing right now. At the end of the day, the way that he runs his ship is a little bit different. But I do give him credit for winning so many Super Bowls and having the longevity to do it.

“...When you play with the New England Patriots, there’s a lot of pressure every time you walk in the door because it's a lot of tension, it's a lot of noise going on in the background where, [with] how the team is [run], it's unknown. You don't know what Mr. Kraft is doing, you don't know what Bill's doing, you just don't know…”

Listen to sports talk now on Audacy and shop the latest NFL team gear

But winning is what people want, right? That's why co-host of “I AM ATHLETE” Channing Crowder wanted to at least see whether or not he enjoyed his time there. Maybe even a little bit?

“No, I did not,” Revis said plainly, with a laugh. “You know, I'm happy for the grind and the hustle of winning Super Bowl 49, but you know waking up every day and walking into the facility and having to deal with the tension, you see why they've been to ten Super Bowls. You see the hustle and the grind of it, but at the end of the day, there's other philosophies to win and it doesn't have to be that way.”

Check out the full interview embedded above or here for more on Revis’s time with the Jets and Patriots, his locker room fight with Brandon Marshall, whether he thinks Tom Brady or Bill Belichick is more responsible for the Patriots’ success, his post-playing struggles with PTSD and much more.

RELATED
GettyImages1027503318-1-4abc08ed-680e-449f-bd1d-16b968bc012e.jpg?crop=16:9

Who cares??

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Winning was never a priority for Revis, which is why he hated playing for Eric Mangini, who drafted him.

Except Mangini won f*ck all when Revis was here. 

Everyone despised Mangini except you. He took one of the most talented rosters in the league, was given a HOF QB and could only muster 9 wins. If you like winning you would be especially inclined to dislike such an absolute loser. Chad Pennington’s bitch.

Rex Ryan is the best coach Revis played under which is probably why he liked him. They were the best defences he ever played for and brought the best out of Revis individually. BB’s record without Brady is terrible, now imagine it with Sanchez/Geno lol.

Brady won those Superbowls. Imagine him with Rex omg.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I'd say his comments about the Patriots caring about winning first makes me dislike him too. 

but it backs up with Brady said. its not fun playing in NE. all they had was winning SBs and now they dont have that.

Bills boot camp style has to change or nobody good will play there.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

Revis is unappreciated. You guys forgot how great the man used to be. 

He is arguably the best player to ever play for this team, has done everything he can to ingratiate himself to jets fans (including bashing on the patriots)yet some here can't let go of the fact that he was greedy........like 99pct of all athletes are today. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Except Mangini won f*ck all when Revis was here. 

Everyone despised Mangini except you. He took one of the most talented rosters in the league, was given a HOF QB and could only muster 9 wins. If you like winning you would be especially inclined to dislike such an absolute loser. Chad Pennington’s bitch.

Rex Ryan is the best coach Revis played under which is probably why he liked him. They were the best defences he ever played for and brought the best out of Revis individually. BB’s record without Brady is terrible, now imagine it with Sanchez/Geno lol.

Brady won those Superbowls. Imagine him with Rex omg.

F7FBAF62-295D-4FCE-AC5F-0AF927A6AAE5.png

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He didn’t dog anything his legs where shot. Between that injury and the years in rex man to man system. He was never the same athlete. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jackhuntr said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/afc-east/new-england-patriots/nfl-world-reacts-to-darrelle-revis-patriots-admission/amp

Play Video

By Jordan Cohn, Audacy Sports
WEEIFM.jpg?width=60&height=60&crop=1:1
October 12, 20219:18 am

Not too long ago, LeGarrette Blount joined a podcast and discussed how the locker rooms of two teams he had spent time with — the Eagles and Patriots — were like “night and day,” though he enjoyed both of them in different ways. In New England, he said he appreciated and thrived on the hard-work and no-nonsense environment that Bill Belichick instilled.

RELATED

How did another former Patriot, albeit one who had a shorter stay, feel about the locker room?

“Nobody likes it in the locker room. Just being honest, nobody likes it.”

70306cab02134d02858e9408b4d8ac5d96bb9bd1
Podcast Episode
I AM Athlete Podcast
Darrelle Revis | Who Was Responsible For The Success In New England, Tom Brady or Bill Belichick?

Listen Now

Well then. Apparently Darrelle Revis didn’t speak to Blount about his opinion of the locker room, but the main point here is that Revis is not all too fond of his time with the Patriots, despite picking up a Super Bowl ring in his lone season there. He joined the “I AM ATHLETE” podcast and spoke about why he liked Rex Ryan during his long stint with the New York Jets, but was not a huge fan of Bill Belichick once he landed in New England.

“It's just, it's two different cultural philosophies,” Revis said (2:59 mark). “You know, Rex is a little bit more loose. He likes dogs, he wants you to go out there and play hard, run into a wall, that's fine. But there’s a lot of news going on right now with Bill, in terms of him and Mr. Kraft, and there's a lot of stuff surfacing right now. At the end of the day, the way that he runs his ship is a little bit different. But I do give him credit for winning so many Super Bowls and having the longevity to do it.

“...When you play with the New England Patriots, there’s a lot of pressure every time you walk in the door because it's a lot of tension, it's a lot of noise going on in the background where, [with] how the team is [run], it's unknown. You don't know what Mr. Kraft is doing, you don't know what Bill's doing, you just don't know…”

Listen to sports talk now on Audacy and shop the latest NFL team gear

But winning is what people want, right? That's why co-host of “I AM ATHLETE” Channing Crowder wanted to at least see whether or not he enjoyed his time there. Maybe even a little bit?

Check out the full interview embedded above or here for more on Revis’s time with the Jets and Patriots, his locker room fight with Brandon Marshall, whether he thinks Tom Brady or Bill Belichick is more responsible for the Patriots’ success, his post-playing struggles with PTSD and much more.

RELATED
GettyImages1027503318-1-4abc08ed-680e-449f-bd1d-16b968bc012e.jpg?crop=16:9

I didn't enjoy his last season here.  So there.