Jump to content

Darrelle Revis: I did not enjoy my time with Patriots


Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

Revis will make the HOF as a first time nominee and it will be based largely on his Jets play. He's getting into the Ring of Honor, folks. It is a given.

All very likely to be true.

The human mind is a wonderful thing, it can hold more than one thought or feeling within it at the same time. 

One can acknowledge that Revis was a very good player, can understand why an NFL player like him would be so cutthroat mercenary in the way he clearly was, and yet, still not like him, think of him as a "Jet", or want him to represent our team.

8c8a1fe2f14ade35246c0cd56f7b76fb--new-en

This is how I see Revis. 

/shrug, maybe I'm just stubbornly old school, an outdated relic before Free Agency, endless holdouts and Fantasy Football made so many fans not care about rivalries.  

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TL;DR   Bill Belichick,  scumbag

I couldn't possibly care less what Revis enjoyed. He's a Patriot for life.  Don't want the Jets to have anything to do with him.

F Revis...

Posted Images

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Was I talking to you?

I didn't realize other posters needed you to defend them.  

I am man of the people and loved by all.  I treat everyone with respect until they've lost it,.  It's my job to defend the oppressed and attacked by internet bullies, like you

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Was I talking to you?

This might be news to you, but when you post on a forum, you're posting to "everyone", not just whomever you quote.

You want a 1 on 1 private convo, you take it to PM. 

Otherwise, yes, in fact you were talking to Jif.  And Me.  And everyone else.  That's what a forum is.

  • Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Revis numbers are really, really paltry even outside of interceptions(which are very low) compared to some of the guys who haven’t even made it yet. Revis had 2 career sacks 4 forced fumbles, and 9 tackles for loss. Charles Woodson for example had 20 career sacks, 33! Forced fumbles and 54 tackles for loss. 
 

Revis was a great man to man corner perfect for Rex’s defense, but the overall impact is far short of some of the other premier guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This might be news to you, but when you post on a forum, you're posting to "everyone", not just whomever you quote.

You want a 1 on 1 private convo, you take it to PM. 

Otherwise, yes, in fact you were talking to Jif.  And Me.  And everyone else.  That's what a forum is.

You choose to make nasty comments with a "quote" directly to me - there's plenty of opportunity to add a new comment that isn't directed at me.    So I replied to you about a direct comment you made to me.  

You view everything said as one generic message.  I don't see it that way.  We'll just have to disagree on that too.

I'm not interested in fighting....Just don't enjoy sarcasm and nastiness pointed at me.

Again, I'm not telling you not to be nasty or sarcastic, it's certainly your right, I just won't respond any longer.  

 

  

  • Thumb Down 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You choose to make nasty comments with a "quote" directly to me

I don't see anything "nasty" about my comment.  It's simply a statement of fact as to how forums operate.

Perhaps you meant that for JiF, who knows.

Quote

You view everything said as one generic message.  I don't see it that way.  We'll just have to disagree on that too.

Nothing to disagree about, opinions are irrelevant in terms of how forums work.

Everything you post publicly is open to the comments of everyone. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm really not sure of that...especially if you look at this thread.

It seems to be about half the people here can't stand the guy.  

Is that really what the Jets want? Inducting a guy into the ring of honor over a chorus of boos?

 

Happy to make any bet you'd like on this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

All very likely to be true.

The human mind is a wonderful thing, it can hold more than one thought or feeling within it at the same time. 

One can acknowledge that Revis was a very good player, can understand why an NFL player like him would be so cutthroat mercenary in the way he clearly was, and yet, still not like him, think of him as a "Jet", or want him to represent our team.

8c8a1fe2f14ade35246c0cd56f7b76fb--new-en

This is how I see Revis. 

/shrug, maybe I'm just stubbornly old school, an outdated relic before Free Agency, endless holdouts and Fantasy Football made so many fans not care about rivalries.  

 

Los Angeles Rams sign Joe Namath in 1977 - New York Daily News

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I've said this before, the posters here are a really poor representation of Jets fans.  Go to games and see how many hate Revis like some here do.  No one carried on about his holding out other than get it done.  Not even close to half the fans in the stadium hated him.  

 

Yeah most fans don't have such stringent purity tests for players. But this forum is a highly passionate subset of a highly passionate fan base.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

All very likely to be true.

The human mind is a wonderful thing, it can hold more than one thought or feeling within it at the same time. 

One can acknowledge that Revis was a very good player, can understand why an NFL player like him would be so cutthroat mercenary in the way he clearly was, and yet, still not like him, think of him as a "Jet", or want him to represent our team.

8c8a1fe2f14ade35246c0cd56f7b76fb--new-en

This is how I see Revis. 

/shrug, maybe I'm just stubbornly old school, an outdated relic before Free Agency, endless holdouts and Fantasy Football made so many fans not care about rivalries.  

 

I agree with you on all of it, who votes for Jets ring of honor?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

You choose to make nasty comments with a "quote" directly to me - there's plenty of opportunity to add a new comment that isn't directed at me.    So I replied to you about a direct comment you made to me.  

You view everything said as one generic message.  I don't see it that way.  We'll just have to disagree on that too.

I'm not interested in fighting....Just don't enjoy sarcasm and nastiness pointed at me.

Again, I'm not telling you not to be nasty or sarcastic, it's certainly your right, I just won't respond any longer.  

 

  

northwestern GIF

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I'll believe it when I see it - I still highly doubt it.

I know plenty of Jet fans - none of them are on JN....and none of them like Revis.

Either way, not worth debating this - we will have to wait and see.

Remember theres a huge difference between not liking him and thinking he wasnt one of out best players and worthy of the Ring of Honor.'

Sorry but cant get how hes not better than 99% of the players who are already up there.  Theres no doubting he's better than most of them and had a better career

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Namath in Rams Jersey Pic

In my view, Namath to the Rams =/= Revis to the Pats.

1. The Rams are in no way shape or form a Jets Rival.  The Patriots are our modern day most hated rival.

2. Namath didn't win any Super Bowls with the Rams.

3. Namath did not have the history of holdouts that hurt the Jets the way Revis did.  Nor did Namath come back to the Jets fat and lazy and milk us for tens of millions after being with the Rams.

To each their own.  If one wishes to love Revis or think him some "Great Jet", have at it. Probably the same kind of guys who still love Key Johnson.  I make a distinction between a "great player" and a "great Jet".  Revis was, for a brief period, unquestionably an all-time-great player.

My kind of great Jet is Mangold, Brick, Chrebet.  

Again, to each their own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Biggs said:

My perspective on Team loyalty and the NFL has changed dramatically over my life time.  I started rooting for the Jets when there were 2 leagues and real competition for players.   I continue to root for the Jets but I look at NFL football as a single brand.  When the Jets suck I watch them but when I want to watch good NFL football I watch other games.

THe NFL is simply a single brand monopoly.  The Jets and the Pats are like going to Macdonalds when you're on a road trip.  In NE the NFL is called the Pats in NY it's called the Jets and Giants.

Revis is an interesting guy because he was one of the few that figured out how to bust the trust and maximize his income.  At the time I hated him as disloyal.  I realize looking back that what made him a great CB is the same thing that made him a great trust buster.  He was smart.

This is the question I would ask Revis - "You made > $100 million in your career.  You and your Uncle Sean were smart and used the system to maximize your earnings.  Are you better off now, or would you be happier with $75 million in the bank and 90% of the fan base not thinking you're a greedy a$$hole?"

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In my view, Namath to the Rams =/= Revis to the Pats.

1. The Rams are in no way shape or form a Jets Rival.  The Patriots are our modern day most hated rival.

2. Namath didn't win any Super Bowls with the Rams.

3. Namath did not have the history of holdouts that hurt the Jets the way Revis did.  Nor did Namath come back to the Jets fat and lazy and milk us for tens of millions after being with the Rams.

To each their own.  If one wishes to love Revis or think his some "great Jet", have at it. Probably the same kind of guys who still love Key Johnson.

My kind of great Jet is Mangold, Brick, Chrebet.  

Again, to each their own.

It only feels different because time heals all wounds. Here is the NY Daily News headline from back then:

Joe Namath done with Jets: Vows to quit playing pro football if he can't play for Rams

And he went on Johnny Carson to tell the world he would quit if Jets didn't trade/release him.

The situations are a lot more similar than people want to believe. In fact, Joe's was "worse." He wouldn't accept any amount of money to stay. Revis would've been glad to stay with the Jets if they would pay him.

And just like with Joe, people will be cheering when Revis is announced as a Ring of Honor member.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jgb said:

It only feels different because time heals all wounds. Here is the NYT headline from back then:

Joe Namath done with Jets: Vows to quit playing pro football if he can't play for Rams

Before my time, so I'll take your word on that.

Still, this was late in his career, he was pretty well done anyway, and again, my other points still stand.  

Keep in mind, I'm not particularly a Namath guy, so I've no reason to defend the man. 

Toss him under the bus with Revis if you like, won't hurt my feelings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

This is the question I would ask Revis - "You made > $100 million in your career.  You and your Uncle Sean were smart and used the system to maximize your earnings.  Are you better off now, or would you be happier with $75 million in the bank and 90% of the fan base not thinking you're a greedy a$$hole?"

The money never bothered me.  It was the attitude.

This dude called arguably the GOAT at WR a slouch and then proceed to get burnt by him like toast and fake a hammy in the process.

He then said, "he paved the way for shutdown corner" -  the **** you did.  Rex Ryan made your sorry ass. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Before my time, so I'll take your word on that.

Still, this was late in his career, he was pretty well done anyway, and again, my other points still stand.  

Keep in mind, I'm not particularly a Namath guy, so I've no reason to defend the man. 

Toss him under the bus with Revis if you like, won't hurt my feelings.

He went on Carson also and said he would quit if Jets wouldn't trade/release him. For you youngins, Carson was like the pre-Internet version of Twitter.

Goes without saying you are entitled to your opinion. And the point is you don't have to defend Namath, or Revis, or anyone. As time moves on, people will remember the great play more than the shenanigans. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

The money never bothered me.  It was the attitude.

This dude called arguably the GOAT at WR a slouch and then proceed to get burnt by him like toast and fake a hammy in the process.

He then said, "he paved the way for shutdown corner" -  the **** you did.  Rex Ryan made your sorry ass. 

There were many more impactful DB’s throughout football history than Revis. There was more to the position than just locking your man down really well for 3 years. He didn’t create turnovers, didn’t play special teams, didn’t tackle etc.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The money never bothered me.  It was the attitude.

This dude called arguably the GOAT at WR a slouch and then proceed to get burnt by him like toast and fake a hammy in the process.

He then said, "he paved the way for shutdown corner" -  the **** you did.  Rex Ryan made your sorry ass. 

Mangold made $40 million.  Brick closer to $60 million.  They'll never have to buy a beer in the Tri-State area for the rest of their lives...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

All I know is Darrelle Revis was a thing of beauty at his peak in 2009 and 2010.  I have the same mixed feelings about him.  But he was the best player at his position for several years, absolutely dominant playing a premier position, mostly as a Jet.  He is a HOF lock and I expect him to go in as a Jet and I'm proud of that.

It's rare we've had elite players that made the Jets relevant.  It was an exciting time that I look back at fondly and a rare bright spot for this org.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jgb said:

He went on Carson also and said he would quit if Jets wouldn't trade/release him. For you youngins, Carson was like the pre-Internet version of Twitter.

I'm not 80, but I'm old enough to know who Johnny Carson was, mate.

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

Goes without saying you are entitled to your opinion. And the point is you don't have to defend Namath, or Revis, or anyone. As time moves on, people will remember the great play more than the shenanigans. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

Some, perhaps. 

Revis, to me, will always be more about his contract holdouts, his showing up late and hurting the team, his Super Bowl win with the Pats, and his 2 year milk-the-Jets return than about the few years he was a truly elite cover corner (one who didn't force many turnovers for such an elite talent).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Remember theres a huge difference between not liking him and thinking he wasnt one of out best players and worthy of the Ring of Honor.'

Sorry but cant get how hes not better than 99% of the players who are already up there.  Theres no doubting he's better than most of them and had a better career

Oh, I completely agree.

He's the best player in my lifetime and I've been around a long time.  I just think there's something more to the ring or honor than just his skill.  IMO, he was the best defensive player in football for a 3 year span on the Jets..

My opinion, and it's just my opinion, is that you should also be beloved by the fan base to be in "The Ring of Honor" 

I think he CLEARLY covers the first criteria but I believe he falls FAR SHORT in the second.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Warfish said:

I'm not 80, but I'm old enough to know who Johnny Carson was, mate.

Was a joke. :)

Just now, Warfish said:

Some, perhaps. 

Revis, to me, will always be more about his contract holdouts, his showing up late and hurting the team, his Super Bowl win with the Pats, and his 2 year milk-the-Jets return than about the few years he was a truly elite cover corner (one who didn't force many turnovers for such an elite talent).  

You hate the dude and you're entitled to it. But at least you aren't like @FidelioJet who claims he will quit being a Jets fan if (more like when) Mevi$ is voted into the Ring of Honor. Cause he is gonna be.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Was a joke. :)

You hate the dude and you're entitled to it. But at least you aren't like @FidelioJet who claims he will quit being a Jets fan if (more like when) Mevi$ is voted into the Ring of Honor. Cause he is gonna be.

If he's in, I'm out!

It's one thing to continue to make mistake after mistake and put out a sh*tty product for your fan base - but I know they're trying.

It's totally another to glorify a person that, IMHO, publicly sh*t all over your fans and franchise. 

A franchise that purposely makes that choice is one I just won't be able to support.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jgb said:

You hate the dude and you're entitled to it.

No.  I just don't like him. 

I respect his talent (not as much as many here, but that aside).  

But as a Fan, when I think of "Great Jets" he never enters my mind, because being a "Great Jet" to me is more than just on-field play.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

But at least you aren't like @FidelioJet who claims he will quit being a Jets fan if (more like when) Mevi$ is voted into the Ring of Honor. Cause he is gonna be.

Oh absolutely he will.  Hall of Fame too, I agree.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If he's in, I'm out!

It's one thing to continue to make mistake after mistake and put out a sh*tty product for your fan base - but I know they're trying.

It's totally another to glorify a person that, IMHO, publicly sh*t all over your fans and franchise. 

A franchise that purposely makes that choice is one I just won't be able to support.

After the years of indignities suffered as a Jets fan and to remain standing, this seems a weird hill to die on but more power to you :)

FYI -- fans vote on the nominees so... him getting in would be on us as much as on the team.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...