Darrelle Revis: I did not enjoy my time with Patriots

jackhuntr

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why do you think Revis was more talented than Curtis Martin?

Because Martin as good as he was in the long term, his consistency and dependability was never the most dominant back during his 10 year run.  Revis for a number of years was the best DB in the league and a contender for for offensive player of the year while Revis was not only a contender but got screwed when they gave it Woodson.  

Add to that Revis was a drafted, home grown great.  

And I absolutely loved Martin which led to some fun debates with my buddy, the late @Savage69

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He was an all time great.  Curtis was an all time very good.  It's like comparing Harry Carson to Lawrence Taylor.  Both are HOF linebackers.  One was very good for a very long time.  One was the greatest linebacker in NFL history.

You're entitled to your opinion.  I'd take a number of historic DB's over Revis personally.  

Revis was an elite player, for a relatively short period of time (5 years, maybe less tbqh) and an "all-time great" for maybe a couple of years or three (2008, 2009, 2011).

Martin was an elite player, as a far more physically demanding, punishing and brutal position, for a vastly longer period of time.  (Man I miss Savage, RIP Bro).

And I like and enjoyed rooting for Martin far more than watching the annual contract drama with Revis, and wondering how much time he'd miss, and how bad that might hurt us this time round.

I'd take Martin over Revis.  You'd clearly take Revis. 

Happily, it's an opinion question, there is no "right" answer or proof to show who is right, just different ways of looking at things.

• Upvote 2

On 10/13/2021 at 8:52 PM, Ghost said:

Revis is unappreciated. You guys forgot how great the man used to be. 

Meh.  It was for 1.5-2 seasons, really.  An unbelievable 1.5-2 seasons, yes.  Unlike we've ever seen out of a CB.  But it was all too fleeting, and he gave Jets fans absolutely no reason to continue to support him after 2010.  So I can understand both sides on this one. 

• Upvote 2

"they've been to ten Super Bowls. You see the hustle and the grind of it, but at the end of the day, there's other philosophies to win and it doesn't have to be that way.” " 

The other philosophies who have had that kind of 10 Super Bowl appearance type success? Take all the time you want, Darelle. We'll wait. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Was I talking to you?

I didn't realize other posters needed you to defend them.  

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You choose to make nasty comments with a "quote" directly to me - there's plenty of opportunity to add a new comment that isn't directed at me.    So I replied to you about a direct comment you made to me.  

You view everything said as one generic message.  I don't see it that way.  We'll just have to disagree on that too.

I'm not interested in fighting....Just don't enjoy sarcasm and nastiness pointed at me.

Again, I'm not telling you not to be nasty or sarcastic, it's certainly your right, I just won't respond any longer.  

Why you talking to @Warfish now bruh?  Weren't you talking to @JiFapono previously?

11 hours ago, JiFapono said:

He then said, "he paved the way for shutdown corner" -  the **** you did.  Rex Ryan made your sorry ass. 

No he absolutely did not.  Rex Ryan's system depends on great CB play to work.  Meaning that's the one area of the field Rex did very little coaching here.  It was all about what he was doing with the front 7.  Hence why Rex also wanted to spend enormous money at CB on a Revis and Asomugha duo, while the team also used a 1st round pick on Kyle Wilson during Rex's tenure.  He wanted to have CBs on the field that he didn't worry about in man-to-man coverage so he could concoct different ways to get after the QB.

The system on defense worked for a bit while Rex was here in large part because Revis was great, and at least part of the time, Cromartie was very good as well.  We didn't have a natural pass rusher and often the pass rush failed to get to the QB, so Revis being left on an island was a real thing and he was great at it.  When Revis was injured and then gone, its no surprise that everything else on D also went to sh*t for Rex.

Revis made Rex Ryan look good far more often than the other way around.  Similar to the way all the elite talent Rex had in Baltimore made him look great as a DC over the years, too.  Why do you think the Ravens were so unwilling to give Rex the HC job?  They knew the talent Ozzie Newsome had brought in over the years made Rex expendable.  And low and behold, they were still very successful without Rex.

On 10/13/2021 at 10:00 PM, Larz said:

Mevi$$$$$$$$

Disinclined to blame Revis for a system that is designed to supress player salaries. They have short careers. Don't set up a system that protects the owners and then get mad at the palyers for treating it like a business.  Why do I as a fan care even for 10 seconds about how much money a millionaire pays his athletes? No pro sports franchise in the US's 4 major sports has gone out of business in almost 50 years(NHL's Cleveland Barons). No NFL team has, since the 1920s. Why do I need to worry about whether the Johnson brothers or the Wilpons get silly with their checkbooks? If it's that bad, sell the team. SALARY CAPS ARE BULLSH___t. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If he's in, I'm out!

It's one thing to continue to make mistake after mistake and put out a sh*tty product for your fan base - but I know they're trying.

It's totally another to glorify a person that, IMHO, publicly sh*t all over your fans and franchise. 

A franchise that purposely makes that choice is one I just won't be able to support.

When Revis gets put in the Ring of Honor please make sure you give us a solid farewell thread, please.  You'll owe us that.

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I have no idea how it's determined- but If it's the fans voting Yay or Nay - then, if the fans want to accept that indignity - I would stick around.

It would sicken me seeing his name in the stadium but I can live with that.

I will tell you this though - I will go to the game he's inducted and boo as loud as I can.

LAME

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Disinclined to blame Revis for a system that is designed to supress player salaries. They have short careers. Don't set up a system that protects the owners and then get mad at the palyers for treating it like a business.  Why do I as a fan care even for 10 seconds about how much money a millionaire pays his athletes? No pro sports franchise in the US's 4 major sports has gone out of business in almost 50 years(NHL's Cleveland Barons). No NFL team has, since the 1920s. Why do I need to worry about whether the Johnson brothers or the Wilpons get silly with their checkbooks? If it's that bad, sell the team. SALARY CAPS ARE BULLSH___t. 

Revis Jets “greatness” is half he was really good for a bit and half the Jets haven’t had many great players.

Revis is an afterthought as a Patriot and was a long for the ride during their Super Bowl.

In terms all time great DB’s who did it all he’s no where near that list.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

16 Games, 6 INT, 1 TD, 31 Passes Defensed, 54 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 TFL.

Hard to fully compare historically, as PD's weren't counted till 1999 I believe, and is the real key stat here.

10 hours ago, jgb said:

It was a sublime season but also a nuanced one that does require one to "look beyond the numbers." There were games where QBs barely looked in the direction of their WR1 because they were so intimidated by Revis.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Sadly, "passes thrown their way" is not a stat I can find on Pro Football Reference, but that number would address that question if it were available for players across time.

Almost every on-field sports question can be answered by numbers.  Including this one.  We just don't have those numbers easily available to evaluate.  If we did, the "they didn't throw his way" aspect is easy to factor in, and compare vs. other great DB's greatest years.

First off, i found this:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2020/07/15/15-darrelle-revis-stats-that-capture-his-all-time-dominance/

2009 season

Throwing at him was a futile proposition

Trying Darrelle Revis in 2009 was a downright foolish idea.

Including his three playoff games, on targets in his direction, Revis allowed 48-of-127 passes to be completed (37.8% completion rate) for 502 yards (3.95 per target), two touchdowns, and eight interceptions. That’s a passer rating of 29.1, which remains the lowest mark allowed in one season by any qualified cornerback as far back as coverage data is available (since 2006).

How awful is a 29.1 passer rating for a quarterback? On September 8, 1991, former Jets franchise quarterback Ken O’Brien had a game in Seattle where he completed 13-of-29 passes (44.8%) for 128 yards (4.4 per attempt), no touchdowns, and two picks – a 29.1 passer rating. That was the fourth-worst passer rating O’Brien ever posted out of 112 career starts.

I also compiled this for you.  Here's how the WR1 for each team the Jets faced fared that season.  Revis may not have covered these guys every snap, but its at least a decent snapshot as to how each WR1 fared in games against Revis and the Jets in '09.  For teams without a clear WR1, I listed their top 2 options:

• Week 1 (HOU)
    • Andre Johnson:  4 catches on 7 targets, 35 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 2 (NE)
    • Randy Moss:  4 catches on 7 targets, 24 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 3 (TEN)
    • Nate Washington:  2 catches on 9 targets, 25 yards, 1 TD
    • Justin Gage:  4 catches on 10 targets, 37 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 4 (NO)
    • Marques Colston:  2 catches on 6 targets, 33 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 5 (MIA)
    • Ted Ginn:  2 catches on 2 targets, 57 yards, 1 TD
  • Week 6 (BUF)
    • Terrell Owens:  3 catches on 8 targets, 13 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 7 (OAK)
    • Louis Murphy:  4 catches on 10 targets, 58 yards, 0 TDs
    • Darrius Heyward-Bey:  2 catches on 4 targets, 28 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 8 (MIA)
    • Ted Ginn:  0 catches on 1 target, 0 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 10 (JAX)
    • Torry Holt:  2 catches on 6 targets, 24 yards, 0 TDs
    • Mike Sims-Walker:  3 catches on 7 targets, 49 yards, 1 TD
  • Week 11 (NE)
    • Randy Moss:  5 catches on 11 targets, 34 yards, 1 TD
  • Week 12 (CAR)
    • Steve Smith:  1 catch on 6 targets, 5 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 13 (BUF)
    • Terrell Owens:  3 catches on 9 targets, 31 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 14 (TB)
    • Antonio Bryant:  2 catches on 6 targets, 22 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 15 (ATL)
    • Roddy White:  4 catches on 10 targets, 33 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 16 (IND)
    • Reggie Wayne:  3 catches on 7 targets, 33 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 17 (CIN)
    • Chad Johnson:  0 catches on 4 targets, 0 yards, 0 TDs
  • Wild Card Round (CIN)
    • Chad Johnson:  2 catches on 6 targets, 28 yards, 0 TDs
  • Divisional Round (SD)
    • Vincent Jackson:  7 catches on 9 targets, 111 yards, 0 TDs
  • AFC Championship game (IND)
    • Reggie Wayne:  3 catches on 5 targets, 55 yards, 0 TDs
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

You're entitled to your opinion.  I'd take a number of historic DB's over Revis personally.  

Revis was an elite player, for a relatively short period of time (5 years, maybe less tbqh) and an "all-time great" for maybe a couple of years or three (2008, 2009, 2011).

Martin was an elite player, as a far more physically demanding, punishing and brutal position, for a vastly longer period of time.  (Man I miss Savage, RIP Bro).

And I like and enjoyed rooting for Martin far more than watching the annual contract drama with Revis, and wondering how much time he'd miss, and how bad that might hurt us this time round.

I'd take Martin over Revis.  You'd clearly take Revis. 

Happily, it's an opinion question, there is no "right" answer or proof to show who is right, just different ways of looking at things.

I'd take a number of running backs that played in Martin's era over him.  I would not take any DB over Revis that played in his All pro years period.  

Martin didn't have contract drama because Parcells put a poison pill in his contract to keep the Pats from resigning him.  Martin was grossly over paid so what exactly was he going to complain about?

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

First off, i found this:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2020/07/15/15-darrelle-revis-stats-that-capture-his-all-time-dominance/

2009 season

Throwing at him was a futile proposition

Trying Darrelle Revis in 2009 was a downright foolish idea.

Including his three playoff games, on targets in his direction, Revis allowed 48-of-127 passes to be completed (37.8% completion rate) for 502 yards (3.95 per target), two touchdowns, and eight interceptions. That’s a passer rating of 29.1, which remains the lowest mark allowed in one season by any qualified cornerback as far back as coverage data is available (since 2006).

How awful is a 29.1 passer rating for a quarterback? On September 8, 1991, former Jets franchise quarterback Ken O’Brien had a game in Seattle where he completed 13-of-29 passes (44.8%) for 128 yards (4.4 per attempt), no touchdowns, and two picks – a 29.1 passer rating. That was the fourth-worst passer rating O’Brien ever posted out of 112 career starts.

I also compiled this for you.  Here's how the WR1 for each team the Jets faced fared that season.  Revis may not have covered these guys every snap, but its at least a decent snapshot as to how each WR1 fared in games against Revis and the Jets in '09.  For teams without a clear WR1, I listed their top 2 options:

• Week 1 (HOU)
    • Andre Johnson:  4 catches on 7 targets, 35 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 2 (NE)
    • Randy Moss:  4 catches on 7 targets, 24 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 3 (TEN)
    • Nate Washington:  2 catches on 9 targets, 25 yards, 1 TD
    • Justin Gage:  4 catches on 10 targets, 37 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 4 (NO)
    • Marques Colston:  2 catches on 6 targets, 33 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 5 (MIA)
    • Ted Ginn:  2 catches on 2 targets, 57 yards, 1 TD
  • Week 6 (BUF)
    • Terrell Owens:  3 catches on 8 targets, 13 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 7 (OAK)
    • Louis Murphy:  4 catches on 10 targets, 58 yards, 0 TDs
    • Darrius Heyward-Bey:  2 catches on 4 targets, 28 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 8 (MIA)
    • Ted Ginn:  0 catches on 1 target, 0 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 10 (JAX)
    • Torry Holt:  2 catches on 6 targets, 24 yards, 0 TDs
    • Mike Sims-Walker:  3 catches on 7 targets, 49 yards, 1 TD
  • Week 11 (NE)
    • Randy Moss:  5 catches on 11 targets, 34 yards, 1 TD
  • Week 12 (CAR)
    • Steve Smith:  1 catch on 6 targets, 5 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 13 (BUF)
    • Terrell Owens:  3 catches on 9 targets, 31 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 14 (TB)
    • Antonio Bryant:  2 catches on 6 targets, 22 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 15 (ATL)
    • Roddy White:  4 catches on 10 targets, 33 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 16 (IND)
    • Reggie Wayne:  3 catches on 7 targets, 33 yards, 0 TDs
  • Week 17 (CIN)
    • Chad Johnson:  0 catches on 4 targets, 0 yards, 0 TDs
  • Wild Card Round (CIN)
    • Chad Johnson:  2 catches on 6 targets, 28 yards, 0 TDs
  • Divisional Round (SD)
    • Vincent Jackson:  7 catches on 9 targets, 111 yards, 0 TDs
  • AFC Championship game (IND)
    • Reggie Wayne:  3 catches on 5 targets, 55 yards, 0 TDs

I don’t think anyone’s disputing his 2009 as anything other than great.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

LAME

We haven't had a lot to celebrate recently yet Jets fans still need to dig deep to find ways to hate the last player who deliver HOF performance. Boy do I have my fingers on the pulse of this fanbase, or what?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

C'mon.  Namath was 34, very clearly washed, and started just 4 games with the Rams.  Revis was solidly in his prime years when he went to New England and won a title.  You have to see a difference there.

Namath threatened to quit if Jets didn't release or trade him to the Rams. Revis said "pay me and I'll stay." Namath said "you can't pay me enough to stay" and went on Carson to announce it to the world.

Yet, he is not considered a traitorous turd.

Mevi$ was indeed a mercenary. Namath told the Jets to go eff themselves.

Neither should be villainized I am just pointing out the inconsistency here.

20 years from now, Revis will be completely rehabilitated in Jets fans minds. Time heals all wounds. 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Namath threatened to quit if Jets didn't release or trade him to the Rams. Revis said "pay me and I'll stay." Namath said "you can't pay me enough to stay" and went on Carson to announce it to the world.

20 years from now, Revis will be completely rehabilitated in Jets fans minds. Time heals all wounds. 

I'm just saying Namath's demands to leave and all that would carry a lot more weight if he wasn't washed in his age 33 season.  I'm sure at that point Jets fans were like "Thanks for all you did Joe but you can go now."  I wasn't around then though, can you honestly say a lot of Jets fans hated Namath for that at the time?  If so I'd adjust my view a bit.

But either way, Namath won a SB with the Jets.  Revis won a SB with the Patriots.  You can't dismiss that as a reason why Jets fans would treat the situation differently.  Time heals all wounds in Namath's case because of what he did for the Jets' franchise.  Revis played great at CB for 2 years then headed to the Pats and won a SB.  It's 2 tremendously different situations because of that.  And because of that, I'll always view Namath very differently than I do Revis.  Can't speak for anyone else.

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm just saying Namath's demands to leave and all that would carry a lot more weight if he wasn't washed in his age 33 season.  I'm sure at that point Jets fans were like "Thanks for all you did Joe but you can go now."  I wasn't around then though, can you honestly say a lot of Jets fans hated Namath for that at the time?  If so I'd adjust my view a bit.

But either way, Namath won a SB with the Jets.  Revis won a SB with the Patriots.  You can't dismiss that as a reason why Jets fans would treat the situation differently.  Time heals all wounds in Namath's case because of what he did for the Jets' franchise.  Revis played great at CB for 2 years then headed to the Pats and won a SB.  It's 2 tremendously different situations because of that.  And because of that, I'll always view Namath very differently than I do Revis.  Can't speak for anyone else.

I absolutely dismiss it because it's based on emotion and not reality. So he's not punished for leaving but for winning elsewhere -- that's bizarre and not logical. I guess he should picked a loser team after the Bucs didn't re-sign him (to whom the Jets traded him in the first place) to avoid pissing off Jets fans. The counter argument could easily be made that it's much worse when a bona fide team hero bails rather than a dude we all knew was a mercenary from Day One.

I'm in a post-emotion situation with the Jets in a way I envy those who remain emotionally invested, although I think that biases their takes in a nonproductive way. Note that the Jets themselves got over it and took him back. Fans have the luxury of living in a black and white world, which is their right, just as it is mine to call opinions based on emotion flawed.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I absolutely dismiss it because it's based on emotion and not reality. So he's not punished for leaving but for winning elsewhere -- that's bizarre and not logical. I guess he should picked a loser team after the Bucs didn't re-sign him (to whom the Jets traded him in the first place) to avoid pissing off Jets fans. Odd take. I'm in a post-emotion situation with the Jets in a way I envy those who remain emotionally invested, although I think that biases their takes in a nonproductive way. Note that the Jets themselves got over it and took him back. Such is a realm of fans.

Fan is short for "fanatic".  Emotions are part of the deal. 

I'm not supposed to hate LeBron James, because every day I'm told by nearly everyone that he's great.  But I still do.  

If logic were a bigger part of the equation than emotion when it comes to fanhood, we'd all be Steelers or Giants fans.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fan is short for "fanatic".  Emotions are part of the deal. 

I'm not supposed to hate LeBron James, because every day I'm told by nearly everyone that he's great.  But I still do.  

If logic were a bigger part of the equation than emotion when it comes to fanhood, we'd all be Steelers or Giants fans.

Yep it is part of the deal until one reaches Zen like me ;) 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yep it is part of the deal until one reaches Zen like me ;) 

A state only few are able to reach.  

But to finish my thoughts on Revis:  I don't hate or love him.  I appreciate the 2 great years he had here, and merely wish it lasted a lot longer.  But beyond that I owe him no allegiance.  And I don't care that he tried to get as much money as possible; in an ownership-driven league he played the game perfectly. 

Reminds me a bit of Bill Parcells in a way.  Yes, he did great things in his short time here.  But he didn't finish the deal.  He could have built something great over a fairly lengthy period of time, even in his old age.  He and Revis both did what they thought was best for them, and I can't really begrudge that, but I don't have to love either of them, either.  Had Parcells and/or Revis won a SB here, either/both would have been Jets legends forever to everyone.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A state only few are able to reach.  

But to finish my thoughts on Revis:  I don't hate or love him.  I appreciate the 2 great years he had here, and merely wish it lasted a lot longer.  Beyond that I owe him no allegiance.  

Reminds me a bit of Bill Parcells in a way.  Yes, he did great things in his short time here.  But he didn't finish the deal.  He could have built something great over a fairly lengthy period of time, even in his old age.  He and Revis both did what they thought was best for them, and I can't really begrudge that, but I don't have to love either of them, either.  Had Parcells and/or Revis won a SB here, either/both would have been Jets legends forever to everyone.  

That I agree with. Neither allegiance nor scorn. Just recognition of HOF-caliber seasons (including arguably the best CB season ever) untainted by his mercenary ways.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Namath was completely washed up and wanted to be in LA because he wanted to have an acting career.   He was done the year before.  He went 1 and 7 in 8 starts and his legs were gone.  He started 4 games for LA.    The Jets were a dumpster fire in his last 2 years here and he was shot as a QB.  Everyone knew he wanted to get into the movies.  

Namath came to the Jets on a broken knee and put every ounce of juice he had into it.  He self medicated on alchol and took an absolute beating.  He was the most exciting player we every had.  You couldn't take your eyes off of him when we had the ball.   The guy was absolutely loved by Jets fans and nobody wanted to deny him an acting career in LA.

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Namath was completely washed up and wanted to be in LA because he wanted to have an acting career.   He was done the year before.  He went 1 and 7 in 8 starts and his legs were gone.  He started 4 games for LA.    The Jets were a dumpster fire in his last 2 years here and he was shot as a QB.  Everyone knew he wanted to get into the movies.  

Namath came to the Jets on a broken knee and put every ounce of juice he had into it.  He self medicated on alchol and took an absolute beating.  He was the most exciting player we every had.  You couldn't take your eyes off of him when we had the ball.   The guy was absolutely loved by Jets fans and nobody wanted to deny him an acting career in LA.

It's called "a comparison" not "an exact." Hell hath no fury like a Jets fan scorned but just watch, in a couple years Revis will be universally considered an all-time great Jet. 

Sox had a Bill Buckner day.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

It's called "a comparison" not "an exact." Hell hath no fury like a Jets fan scorned but just watch, in a couple years Revis will be universally considered an all-time great Jet. 

Sox had a Bill Buckner day.

Revis is an all time great Jet.  Anyone denying that ia a moron.   Curtis Martin, also a great Jet was the most overpaid player in NY Jets history and he's revered.  He's career earnings dwarfed both Tomlinson and Marshal Faulk who both played in his era and for as long.  

He never complained because Parcell's was an absolute moron when it came to Martin and it hamstrung our roster for years.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Revis is an all time great Jet.  Anyone denying that ia a moron.   Curtis Martin, also a great Jet was the most overpaid player in NY Jets history and he's revered.  He's career earnings dwarfed both Tomlinson and Marshal Faulk who both played in his era and for as long.  

He never complained because Parcell's was an absolute moron when it came to Martin and it hamstrung our roster for years.  

People still butt hurt. It's cool. We're fans. But my God why would you want to be a  good Jet as a player? Perform at a HOF level, still hated. smh.

We are a helluva place for JAGs though. We love them.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

People still butt hurt. It's cool. We're fans. But my God why would you want to be a  good Jet as a player? Perform at a HOF level, still hated. smh.

We are a helluva place for JAGs though. We love them.

I love Curtis Martin.  Great guy, excellent player.  But I hate that he rushed for less than 2 YPC against the Broncos in the '98 AFC Title game.  

@Savage69  ?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Biggs said:

You are 100% correct.  The only QB with a release of the ball as good as Namath was Dan Marino. He was the most exciting player the Jets ever had!  

The sad part of Namath's career was that he was a very mobile QB in college, and if not for his knee injuries, would have been twice the player that he ended up being, which was still good enough to enter the Hall of Fame.