Jump to content

2021 MLB playoffs


Recommended Posts

Dodgers edged out SF (in SF) in game 5. On a checked swing call against Wilmer Flores with man on 1st in bottom of the 9th 2 outs. It was a bad call Wilmer held up on the ball. Look Wilmer probably wouldn’t have been successful in that AB if it had been allowed to continue. He was 0-17 lifetime against Scherzer. But with both teams playing evenly all season long up until the last strike it would have been better and fairer to make a proper call esp in SF. The hometown fans who followed their team all season long were burned on that call. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Dodgers edged out SF (in SF) in game 5. On a checked swing call against Wilmer Flores with man on 1st in bottom of the 9th 2 outs. It was a bad call Wilmer held up on the ball. Look Wilmer probably wouldn’t have been successful in that AB if it had been allowed to continue. He was 0-17 lifetime against Scherzer. But with both teams playing evenly all season long up until the last strike it would have been better and fairer to make a proper call esp in SF. The hometown fans who followed their team all season long were burned on that call. 

yeah it sucked and it sucks that the Giants season ended the way it did.

I expect the Dodgers will beat the Braves. Houston and Boston can basically GFT's. I don't care

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another night.  Another 4-hour plus playoff game.  9 innings.  16 pitchers used.  I just can't get used to what the game is today.  

I live in the Central time zone and still can't seem to make it to the end of some of these games.  I find that I am less and less interested in post-season baseball with each passing year.  Probably does not help that its 4 teams that I don't like that are left.  I guess I will root for the Dodgers because I hate the Braves more.  Astros are like the Patriots of MLB, having been caught cheating.  And the Red Sox are the Red Sox.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lith said:

Another night.  Another 4-hour plus playoff game.  9 innings.  16 pitchers used.  I just can't get used to what the game is today.  

 

I can't watch it, and more importantly, my kids will not. 

If they aren't going to, I'll find something else to do with them.  Baseball has a huge problem, the game is boring.   Even listening to the announcers most nights, it's like listening to a statistics lecture.

"Blah blah blah, swing rate.   Blah blah OPS, Blah blah launch angle."   It's not interesting to listen to, and I like Baseball, and I was a huge statistics guy (like, it was gonna be my major but I hated Calc 2)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To me the strangest most different thing I’ve seen in MLB over the past few years excepting some of the weird game changes like extra innings because of the pandemic are the ways managers are using their pitching staffs. In a way it’s pretty innovative like you see in football when teams throw in completely different alignments etc. Managers are taking out starting pitchers early including in the early innings, using starting pitchers as relievers between starts, etc. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that I still don't get is how both MLB and the NHL have totally different regular season rules for extra innings and OT than they do for the playoffs. Teams can have their postseason fortunes changed during the season with the ridiculous starting a guy on 2nd base crap, or the 3 on 3 OT, followed by a shootout, but then just go back to the normal way in the playoffs. At least the NFL OT is the same. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, section314 said:

One thing that I still don't get is how both MLB and the NHL have totally different regular season rules for extra innings and OT than they do for the playoffs. Teams can have their postseason fortunes changed during the season with the ridiculous starting a guy on 2nd base crap, or the 3 on 3 OT, followed by a shootout, but then just go back to the normal way in the playoffs. At least the NFL OT is the same. 

Pretty sure mlb is getting rid of the extra inning runner on 2nd rule next year.  I also think the 7 inning doubleheader rule is history.

As for 3 on 3 OT and shootouts for hockey, I think we are stuck with those. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2021 at 12:34 PM, Lith said:

Pretty sure mlb is getting rid of the extra inning runner on 2nd rule next year.  I also think the 7 inning doubleheader rule is history.

As for 3 on 3 OT and shootouts for hockey, I think we are stuck with those. 

I have no problems with ties in football and hockey. I don’t like shootouts. It’s a better judge of the play in a game. Even though in hockey the losing team gets a point. One 5 min OT. No shootout. In a weird way I kind of liked the extra inning rule in MLB of starting the 10th inning with a runner on 2nd. It’s kind of fun and both teams get it so no advantage it just pushes the game along but in a fairer way than a shootout IMO. But many baseball purists hate it. A friend of mine is a long time SABR member and kind of well known in the baseball stats world and he hates it. He’s invested a lot more time in baseball than I ever have and I respect his opinion over my own. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2021 at 12:34 PM, Lith said:

As for 3 on 3 OT and shootouts for hockey, I think we are stuck with those. 

3-on-3 Absolutely unbareable to watch. Shootouts I'm ok with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...