Just some personal thoughts with me and the Jets...

On 10/15/2021 at 3:30 PM, NIGHT STALKER said:

For decades, I would hope one day to see the Jets not only in a SB, but to actually win one.  Now, at age 73 I wonder if I will see the Jets as a competitive team with the years I have left on this planet.  My daughter who is 42 and my son who is 37 now have thoughts if they will see the Jets win a SB.  Ownership, GM's coaches, players, etc., years of changes and we can't seem to nail what the problem(s) is/are.  It's way above my grade to try and figure what the problems are because the people getting paid to figure it out all these years haven't.

I'm 56 and for the past 50 or so years I have been saying how the Jets are gonna be good this year to friends and colleagues for most of those 50 obviously being wrong 90 % of the time. That's how Jets fans roll.

I hope they do win a SB for you Night Stalker if any fan base really deserves it,  its Jet Fans because we can't help ourselves from loving this god forsaken Franchise 

18 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm 50. Missed SBIII and have zero confidence in ever seeing the Jets play in a SB, Forget win one, in my lifetime.

I HAVE actively discouraged my kids from becoming Jets fans. Seriously.  

I'm just here out of habit and to talk sh*t. 

Well, you've certainly succeeded on the last part. 

Just kidding. :)

• Haha 1

FWIW, I'm 78 and have been with the Jets all those years.  The contempt for the Johnson's is as nothing compared to my feeling about Leon Hess.  Gase was not the worst coach ever hired, Rich Kotite was!

So it's easy to dwell on all the horrible things the Jets have done.

At heart, the issue for the Jets has always been poor GM's.  All the way back to the Sonny Werblin days, the Jets were poor at drafting.

So I am actually optimistic about Joe Douglas.  I was in the keep SD camp.  Trade the #2 pick for more draft choices.  But I think JD got it right with Wilson.  Yeah, we're watching a lot of growing pains, but I believe he will pan out.

Joe's drafting has been pretty good.  It's a zero sum game so there are always bad choices.  But he has added a ton of young talent who are developing well.  Takes 3 years to evaluate a draft.

The Jets are putting us through hell this year, but the franchise will be a lot stronger for it over the next couple of years.

Jets history doesn't justify optimism, I get that.  But I'm all in with the current program.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm 56 and for the past 50 or so years I have been saying how the Jets are gonna be good this year to friends and colleagues for most of those 50 obviously being wrong 90 % of the time. That's how Jets fans roll.

I hope they do win a SB for you Night Stalker if any fan base really deserves it,  its Jet Fans because we can't help ourselves from loving this god forsaken Franchise 

1997-2010 was a fun time to be a Jets fan

Other than that it’s been miserable 

6 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

1997-2010 was a fun time to be a Jets fan

Other than that it’s been miserable 

The most talented Jets teams by far were the 80's teams just absolutely loaded with talent . Only one problem, we had Joe Walton as our HC and he was terrible so all that talent was squandered. It all started with the Mud Bowl and a good HC in Walt Michaels was cheated out of a SB by Don ******* Shula. Would have loved to see the Sack Exchange vs the Hogs in that SB. 

37 minutes ago, addage said:

FWIW, I'm 78 and have been with the Jets all those years.  The contempt for the Johnson's is as nothing compared to my feeling about Leon Hess.  Gase was not the worst coach ever hired, Rich Kotite was!

So it's easy to dwell on all the horrible things the Jets have done.

At heart, the issue for the Jets has always been poor GM's.  All the way back to the Sonny Werblin days, the Jets were poor at drafting.

So I am actually optimistic about Joe Douglas.  I was in the keep SD camp.  Trade the #2 pick for more draft choices.  But I think JD got it right with Wilson.  Yeah, we're watching a lot of growing pains, but I believe he will pan out.

Joe's drafting has been pretty good.  It's a zero sum game so there are always bad choices.  But he has added a ton of young talent who are developing well.  Takes 3 years to evaluate a draft.

The Jets are putting us through hell this year, but the franchise will be a lot stronger for it over the next couple of years.

Jets history doesn't justify optimism, I get that.  But I'm all in with the current program.

Addage who drafted our 80 's teams was it Kensil ? Because those teams were stacked with talent. Sure we had some High Profile duds like Lam Jones but for the most part we had some damn good drafts back in those days. Klecko, Lyons, Gastineau, Salaam/Pillars,Kenny Neil, Fields, Powell, Alexander, Rasmussen, Mehl, Buttle, Blinka, Jackson, Walker, Toon, McNeil, Hector, Gaffney, Shuler, Ken Schroy, Darrell Ray, Bruce Harper at one point the mud bowl year we had the number one DL and Number 1 OL and it was all built via the draft . I know I'm leaving out some good players as well. Just loaded with talent and Depth.

On 10/15/2021 at 3:30 PM, NIGHT STALKER said:

It's way above my grade to try and figure what the problems are because the people getting paid to figure it out all these years haven't.

The question isn't can they figure it out. The real question is do they truly give a damn about figuring it out.

• Sympathy 1

On 10/15/2021 at 4:50 PM, The Crusher said:

I’m 54, tempered my expectations to a winning season, offense in top  half of the league and looking forward to them playing on Sunday again. 

might have to re-temper those expectations......

something like at least 2 wins and not looking like a train wreck might do it

• Post of the Week 1

On 10/15/2021 at 4:04 PM, faba said:

Just have to enjoy watching football games no matter who is playing. My expectations for the Jets are so low right now that any hint of success is appreciated

And this is the real problem. The Johnsons know that the majority of Jets fan think like this. So they really don't have to spend money or effort in building a winner. All they have to do is just give us a hint or an illusion and everyone is satisfied. Most of us are still coasting off the fumes from the divisional playoff win against the Pats in Foxborough 10 years ago so why should the owners be motivated to do more? How pathetic are we.

22 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Addage who drafted our 80 's teams was it Kensil ? Because those teams were stacked with talent. Sure we had some High Profile duds like Lam Jones but for the most part we had some damn good drafts back in those days. Klecko, Lyons, Gastineau, Salaam/Pillars,Kenny Neil, Fields, Powell, Alexander, Rasmussen, Mehl, Buttle, Blinka, Jackson, Walker, Toon, McNeil, Hector, Gaffney, Shuler, Ken Schroy, Darrell Ray, Bruce Harper at one point the mud bowl year we had the number one DL and Number 1 OL and it was all built via the draft . I know I'm leaving out some good players as well. Just loaded with talent and Depth.

You are certainly right that Kensil was competent and build the second strongest Jets organization after Werblin's SB Jets.  I am probably in the wrong but I have never forgiven him for drafting Johnny Lam Jones instead of Anthony Munoz.  Had he drafted Munoz, Jets probably would have made the SB over Miami.  But...  As I often say, GMing is a zero sum game and some bad decisions are gonna get made.  I am giving him lower marks than he deserves.  And in that same draft, he picked Mehl in round 3, a brilliant choice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, addage said:

You are certainly right that Kensil was competent and build the second strongest Jets organization after Werblin's SB Jets.  I am probably in the wrong but I have never forgiven him for drafting Johnny Lam Jones instead of Anthony Munoz.  Had he drafted Munoz, Jets probably would have made the SB over Miami.  But...  As I often say, GMing is a zero sum game and some bad decisions are gonna get made.  I am giving him lower marks than he deserves.  And in that same draft, he picked Mehl in round 3, a brilliant choice.

Maybe part of the problem not drafting Munoz was that we already had an established OL sure Ward at times was a holding machine LOL but for the mort part he was not a bad LT He gave Lyle Alzado Fits for sure back when Alzado was so juiced up and was not even trying to hide it 

On 10/15/2021 at 4:30 PM, NIGHT STALKER said:

For decades, I would hope one day to see the Jets not only in a SB, but to actually win one.  Now, at age 73 I wonder if I will see the Jets as a competitive team with the years I have left on this planet.  My daughter who is 42 and my son who is 37 now have thoughts if they will see the Jets win a SB.  Ownership, GM's coaches, players, etc., years of changes and we can't seem to nail what the problem(s) is/are.  It's way above my grade to try and figure what the problems are because the people getting paid to figure it out all these years haven't.

Same owner = Same Results.

The Jets will never have sustained success on the field until the current owner sells the team AND the new owner is a skilled administrator.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Maybe part of the problem not drafting Munoz was that we already had an established OL sure Ward at times was a holding machine LOL but for the mort part he was not a bad LT He gave Lyle Alzado Fits for sure back when Alzado was so juiced up and was not even trying to hide it 

Probably true.  What happened with Ward.  The bookend tackles idea was a good one.  Did his career get shortened by injury? Getting old, can't remember.

On 10/16/2021 at 8:17 PM, NIGHT STALKER said:

Well, I've told the story before.  My unit was doing a sweep of the A Shau Valley in December of 68 and early January of 69.  Our KIA's were piling up like cord wood and at that time we (all units in Nam) were losing between 500 and 600 men a week.  To be honest, the Jets weren't the number one thing on my mind, but I knew the Jets were having a good year in '68 and were going to the playoffs.  Long story short, I returned to base camp around the 15th or 16th of January '69.  You know, we didn't get news as it happened depending on where we were in those days.  My hometown newspaper which was sent to me was always a week or so late.  Anyway, when my chopper set down on our flight line at Camp Eagle, I see one of my buddies running down the flight line to greet me...I could see he was yelling something at me, but couldn't make out what he was saying.  He was from NY like me and we were both Jet fans.  As he approaches me about 15 feet away (and I remember it like it was yesterday), he yells, THE JETS WON!  I dropped down to my knees and cried...the joy of winning and tears of sorrow for so many KIA's that will never experience life.  I rotated home the end of April, just before the 101st decided to take on Hill 937 in the A Shau...2 and 3 NVA divisions surrounded the A Shau...that hill received a nickname...Hamburger Hill.  So, I'm thinking when I rotated home that the Jets were setup to win a couple of more SB's with JW...but it was not to be.  In fact, I was at the playoff game the following year and watched the Chiefs take down the Jets at Shea, 12-6...and that was it and here I am today, 73 years old...lots of memories good and bad.  Side note BP, Savage wasn't in Nam...he did get to see it and we talked about it many times.

Thank you for your service.

• Upvote 1