NY Jets: Marcus Maye 'would welcome' a trade to a contender

Bronx

Now go rip another butthole JD, so you can waste it on another bust.

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-rumors-marcus-maye-trade-contender

The NY Jets rumor mill is heating up as the trade deadline approaches in a few weeks. And one player who's expected to be at the center of trade talks is safety Marcus Maye.

Maye has been involved in trade rumors for months now, really since the Jets opted to place the franchise tag on him after the two sides couldn't come to terms on an extension.

As the months have gone on, Maye's future with the Jets has become more and more uncertain. And as the deadline approaches, it appears as though Maye is preparing for life after New York as well.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported on Tuesday that Maye "would welcome a move to a contender" and that he's a "prime player to watch at the deadline."

None of that should come as much of a surprise, but it is just another sign hinting at Maye's seemingly inevitable departure.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s unlikely to sign a contract that nets a third. Maybe a fourth, but I’d think probably a fifth. And this would be in 2023, and only if the Jets sign at least one less free agent than they lose this offseason. 

I’d prefer JD trade him for a starter at G, C, or TE, but he likes his draft picks. Be interesting to see what he gets for him, especially if he has a couple teams bidding. 

Thank you!

I'm going to read up on the comp pick rules.

• Upvote 1

I have a hard time believing there's a team out there that believes themselves to be a safety short willing to give up a 3rd for half a season of Maye. 

Of course, I would have bet everything I had that Jamal wouldn't return 2 1st round picks. There's always a sucker out there, I guess. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s unlikely to sign a contract that nets a third. Maybe a fourth, but I’d think probably a fifth. And this would be in 2023, and only if the Jets sign at least one less free agent than they lose this offseason. 

I’d prefer JD trade him for a starter at G, C, or TE, but he likes his draft picks. Be interesting to see what he gets for him, especially if he has a couple teams bidding. 

I wouldnt mind players but picks woudl be just fine with me. He gets alot of flack about his picks but seems to me he is doing just fine and our team is on the right path forward.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, slats said:

Ain't no team trading a starting C or G for an often injured safety with legal issues. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I have a hard time believing there's a team out there that believes themselves to be a safety short willing to give up a 3rd for half a season of Maye. 

Of course, I would have bet everything I had that Jamal wouldn't return 2 1st round picks. There's always a sucker out there, I guess. 

Tampa bay has major secondary issues. Their pick should be pretty low in any round. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I agree with you - though it would also be logical that you can actually have too many draft picks.  Can you really evaluate 10-15 draft picks in one training camp?

I'd like to believe that he'll try to get a player or two now.  This would be - as others have said - not to win now, but to help Zach develop.  IOW, OL or TE.  But IMO really OL.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

It was truly remarkable how a professional GM at the highest level of the business could take two players at the same non-premium position with picks 1 and 2.  he league must have been laughing their freaking butts off at the total incompetence.   Makes drafting interior defensive linemen in the top of the first round 3 out of 5 years almost seem smart by comparison.    

Idk about you guys, but I think blaming Mac for drafting Maye is silly. Maye is better than most of the premium positions drafted around him. The best available picks were those "non premium" positions.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Ain't no team trading a starting C or G for an often injured safety with legal issues. 

Maye’s a good or better starting caliber safety. A good interior OL or TE would be fair compensation. Like I said, though, I think he’ll be looking for draft compensation. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, slats said:

Maye’s a good or better starting caliber safety. A good interior OL or TE would be fair compensation. Like I said, though, I think he’ll be looking for draft compensation. 

I think its draft compensation and that's it. Player for player trades are somewhat rare as is, the only position I could see him upgrade that way is TE. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Gotta be better than a 3rd.

We got him using a 2nd round pick, and since he is a free agent at the end of this year, I doubt we get any better than a 4th round pick for him.  I would prefer a player who can start to a 4th round pick.

• Upvote 1

No way i see us resigning him for the money he wants.  Team is going nowhere this season so what not get some return on him with either a 3-4 round pick or a player.  

I also find it interesting that Maye, as our most senior player, wasnt voted a defensive captain by his teammates.   Maybe reading too much into it, but i would have thought Maye & Mosey were no brainers to be voted captains, but apparently his own teammates see something different.

I also wonder if maye's speaking up last year after the Raiders loss  (he wasnt wrong in what he said) hurt his standing a bit with JD and Chris Johnson.  USUALLY that stuff is kept in the locker room, but Maye chose to go to the podium and speak his mind.  While that may earn our respect, did it rub management and ownership a different way and change their thinking that this isnt the type of guy to sign to a big new deal.?