NY Jets: Marcus Maye 'would welcome' a trade to a contender

Bronx

3 hours ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

It was truly remarkable how a professional GM at the highest level of the business could take two players at the same non-premium position with picks 1 and 2.  he league must have been laughing their freaking butts off at the total incompetence.   Makes drafting interior defensive linemen in the top of the first round 3 out of 5 years almost seem smart by comparison.    

I don't disagree, but 5 years later teams could be willing to give the Jets in a trade more value than they used to draft them 
(Adams pick + Maye pick < Adams comp + Maye comp).

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

We get a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves if I’m  not mistaken so I highly doubt Joe D is gonna move him for any less than that

Not if we sign FA's that'll offset Maye's departure (which is likely). The Jets never get comp picks because we are always in desperate need of players and have to sign FA's. 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If Douglas gets anything more then a 5th he should be given a lifetime extension.  A safety, who isnt very good and has legal troubles.  Hes not worth spit.

Please rewind your memory back to the off season and see if you said the same thing about his playing abilities.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

No way i see us resigning him for the money he wants.  Team is going nowhere this season so what not get some return on him with either a 3-4 round pick or a player.  

I also find it interesting that Maye, as our most senior player, wasnt voted a defensive captain by his teammates.   Maybe reading too much into it, but i would have thought Maye & Mosey were no brainers to be voted captains, but apparently his own teammates see something different.

I also wonder if maye's speaking up last year after the Raiders loss  (he wasnt wrong in what he said) hurt his standing a bit with JD and Chris Johnson.  USUALLY that stuff is kept in the locker room, but Maye chose to go to the podium and speak his mind.  While that may earn our respect, did it rub management and ownership a different way and change their thinking that this isnt the type of guy to sign to a big new deal.?

The Jets are furious that they gave him the Franchise Tag AFTER he got arrested.  Have to be.   Not only will they not sign him next year, but they will try and screw him.  

• Upvote 1

he must be traded no matter what.

yes get the best deal you can but if its a 5th rd pick or later do it... why?

cause hes gone after the season and we have guys we need to see. Davis, Wilson, Sharrod...

why have him here to take snaps away from the kids.. we need to see who are 2 starters are for next year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm old enough to remember when people here were saying that JD would be lucky to get one 1st for Adams. Some of you value Maye based on your own personal views on Maye and the safety position. 
The Bucs, and hopefully at least one other team, view Maye as significantly better than their current safety and the difference in a close playoff game. 

Remember, the Bucs don't care about whether they 10 games or 17 games of Maye. If he is starting for them in an NFC Championship game and better than the scrubs they currently have he becomes incredibly valuably. 

Pee Wee Herman Listening GIF

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Not if we sign FA's that'll offset Maye's departure (which is likely). The Jets never get comp picks because we are always in desperate need of players and have to sign FA's. 

Ahh ok I didnt realize comp picks worked that way that definitely makes it more interesting

I’m so numb to all this now! Sign him, trade him, release him. I don’t give a sh*t anymore! I just want a competitive team for once. It’s truly amazing though, how most of our draft picks never sign a second contract with us. Really tough organization to love. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, undertow said:

I don't know why they didn't just trade him during the offseason his agent has been yapping for a while and Douglas knew he was never giving him a big contract.  I bet they could have gotten a 2nd  for him at the draft.

This has always been a Johnson thing, and is now a JD thing.  They overpay to keep players rather than let them walk (and get comp picks).  The Jets think they own these people.  Sometimes its better to just go.

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

This has always been a Johnson thing, and is now a JD thing.  They overpay to keep players rather than let them walk (and get comp picks).  The Jets think they own these people.  Sometimes its better to just go.

I would rather trade or sign guys before they get to the tag...you should know by then if you want the player to be part of the future and 9 times out of 10 the salaries go up anyway so you really aren't saving anything...the only exception might be running back.

The Jets need to stop thinking that trading assets and stockpiling draft picks will turn this around. What this does is save money, increase risk of not hitting on a draft pick, and deplete the talent on the roster.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Then he's not going anywhere.  

Wouldn't we likely get a 3rd comp?  But I don't' know the specifics of how that works.

We don't automatically get comp picks. Here's an article that speaks to it (including relevant section below, URL to article: https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-draft-compensatory-pick-projections-for-every-team)

So, how do compensatory picks work?

The number of compensatory picks allotted each year is limited to the number of teams in the league (32), per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. However, compensatory picks are not divided equally among the teams, and no team can receive more than four compensatory picks in a single year. To qualify for compensatory picks, teams must end up with more or better qualifying free agents lost than gained in a particular year.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JTJet said:

Ain't no team trading a starting C or G for an often injured safety with legal issues. 

For all those who complain that JD can't draft have to admit that he has been ahead on his trades, so one can dream lol...

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, k-met57 said:

sucks that these legal issues prob knock his value down a peg.

Sucks???!!!

He's lucky he didn't kill anyone. These "legal issues" are his own doing. No one forced him to drink excessively and then get behind the wheel of a car. In my years as a firefighter I went out on way too many accident calls where a drunk driver killed an innocent victim. I have no sympathy if his value is knocked down a peg.

11 hours ago, undertow said:

I would rather trade or sign guys before they get to the tag...you should know by then if you want the player to be part of the future and 9 times out of 10 the salaries go up anyway so you really aren't saving anything...the only exception might be running back.

Safety is one of the lowest valued positions in the league, making tagging a safety one of the cheapest tags. The Jets did that because the secondary looked like a black hole and the tag was affordable. 

5 hours ago, Claymation said:

Then why trade him? You can get a comp pick worth more than that.

The third round comp picks are return for losing free agents getting somewhere in the $20M/year range. I think Maye would be lucky to land a deal that nets him $10-11M/year, which probably has you looking at a fifth round pick in 2023. Getting a fifth or better in 2022 would be better value. Really, maybe even a sixth would be better. 

As others have said, qualifying for comp picks next offseason is no lock, although I believe that if they were in line to get a decent one for Maye that he’d work free agency in a way to get himself one. 

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

I would imagine any trade happens just before the deadline, once he's healthy, the traffic incident business is sorted (to a degree), and teams are in more desperation mode. 

The bigger issue is that he tried to cover it up. I think the team would forgive a mistake -even a dumb one- but trying to hide it results in a loss of trust. I doubt there’s any coming back from that. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Safety is one of the lowest valued positions in the league, making tagging a safety one of the cheapest tags. The Jets did that because the secondary looked like a black hole and the tag was affordable. 

The third round comp picks are return for losing free agents getting somewhere in the $20M/year range. I think Maye would be lucky to land a deal that nets him $10-11M/year, which probably has you looking at a fifth round pick in 2023. Getting a fifth or better in 2022 would be better value. Really, maybe even a sixth would be better. 

As others have said, qualifying for comp picks next offseason is no lock, although I believe that if they were in line to get a decent one for Maye that he’d work free agency in a way to get himself one. 

The bigger issue is that he tried to cover it up. I think the team would forgive a mistake -even a dumb one- but trying to hide it results in a loss of trust. I doubt there’s any coming back from that. 

Nor should there be.

Passed on Dalvin Cook to take Maye

He’s always hurt 

He unfollowed the Jets on social media 

his agent brought up the trade deadline 

now he openly trashes the Jets 

he never makes impact plays 

his W/L record is 19-49

never been to the pro bowl 

never been on the NFL top 100

his current trade value is less than half of a high second round pick 

@T0mShane  smeared the wrong safety 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Wouldnt the last pick in the 3rd, if we got a comp pick be worse than a 4th and a 5th?

This reads as if you're saying..

The last pick in the third round is worse than a pick in the 4th or 5th round.

I can't imagine that's what you're saying.  So what are you trying to say?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The way picks are generally valued, a fourth in the middle of the round in 2022 would be worth more than the last pick in the third in 2023. A 4th and a 5th would be more value, still. 

And there’s no way Maye would generate a third round comp pick. He’d have to become the league’s highest paid safety in free agency, and that isn’t happening. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No you missed what I was trying to say.  

IF we get a comp pick and IF its a 3rd, two BIG IFs, it would be the last pick of the 3rd as opposed to a guaranteed 4th AND 5th as was proposed.  

Comp picks arent close to an exact science especially if JD thinks its time to jump into the deeper end of the FA pool

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Passed on Dalvin Cook to take Maye

He’s always hurt 

He unfollowed the Jets on social media 

his agent brought up the trade deadline 

now he openly trashes the Jets 

he never makes impact plays 

his W/L record is 19-49

never been to the pro bowl 

never been on the NFL top 100

his current trade value is less than half of a high second round pick 

@T0mShane  smeared the wrong safety 

They tried to trade Marcus to Seattle but they aren’t a contender.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No you missed what I was trying to say.  

IF we get a comp pick and IF its a 3rd, two BIG IFs, it would be the last pick of the 3rd as opposed to a guaranteed 4th AND 5th as was proposed.  

Comp picks arent close to an exact science especially if JD thinks its time to jump into the deeper end of the FA pool

Gotcha. 
Although I must say I don’t buy into conventional wisdom on this.  
Would you take a 2nd now for next years 1st? 3rd for next years 2nd? 4th for next years 3rd?

I certainly wouldn’t, but maybe NFL GM’s feel differently  

The NFL is a marathon.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, viffer said:

Sucks???!!!

He's lucky he didn't kill anyone. These "legal issues" are his own doing. No one forced him to drink excessively and then get behind the wheel of a car. In my years as a firefighter I went out on way too many accident calls where a drunk driver killed an innocent victim. I have no sympathy if his value is knocked down a peg.

All of us who have ever drank alcohol has drove while intoxicated.  So dial back that holier than thou sh&* back to a 3.

• Haha 1