***FREE ELIJAH*** Chitmini: New York Jets need playmakers, so why isn't Elijah Moore getting the ball?

Bronx

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes not a psychiatrist.  Hes there to call the plays and put zach in a position to succeed and hes done a great job at that.  We have the worst qb in the league right now and thats the sole reason they cant move the ball and are losing games.

Not one person at florham park ispanicking right now.  Everything they are doing is with a long term vision to be competing for a super bowl in 2023.

Only jet fans who think winning games this year matters are up in arms about moore, lafleur etc.

Its game 5 of a ground up rebuild.  There is not 1 thing to be concerned about right now.

This couldn't be more incorrect.  

The entire offense is a mess.  Pass protection has been pathetic, there's no running game, receivers are still running the wrong routes, dropping far too many passes and yes, ZW hasn't been good.

but  he is far from "The sole reason they can't move the ball" that's just patently false

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

The short passing game has nothing to do with 40 times and everything to do with exploding off the line. Edelman and Welker who was even slower excelled at that. Moore should be able to do that but when Moore catches the ball, he should make better plays with his legs. It's  better than watch him run out of bounds every play. 

It’s a poor comparison.  I would hate if they tried to make Moore into Edelman.  Way different skill sets.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If any coach can be blamed, it would be the QB coach, but Zach Wilson needs to throw crisp, catchable passes. LaFleur only game plans and calls the plays. 

LaFluer’s responsibilities go further than that but, even if they didn’t, it’s his job to get the QB/offense going. Being the only team in the league that has yet to score a point in the first quarter is a genuine concern. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, The Crusher said:

No matter how excited we were it’s not that rare for a wide receiver to acclimate slowly to the NFL. Throw in an offense that isn’t being necessarily working due to a myriad of reasons and another rookie at QB it puts you where they are. The kid needs to play in the slot and we need to get the ball in his hand. Honestly I put most of this on LaFleur, the line and Zach still not progressing at all. I think if Moore played the position he’s meant to he would be contributing more than he is now. FREE ELIJAH-We Need MOORE!

No matter what we hope for, Salad and LaFloor will not sway from their "plan".  It's sad.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Edelman had great numbers. Don't know what is wrong with that. 

You don’t take a receiver who can run 4.37 and has excellent ball tracking skills and make him into a traditional slot receiver (Edelman you say) who makes a living within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.  You put Moore in the slot so that he sees less press man coverage, gets a cleaner easier release from the line and forces the defense to defend a two way go.   Having to defend a vertical threat in the slot puts a lot pressure on the defense.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

You don’t take a receiver who can run 4.37 and has excellent ball tracking skills and make him into a traditional slot receiver (Edelman you say) who makes a living within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.  You put Moore in the slot so that he sees less press man coverage, gets a cleaner easier release from the line and forces the defense to defend a two way go.   Having to defend a vertical threat in the slot puts a lot pressure on the defense.   

Have you looked at Edelman's numbers? Every time he started 16 games, he had 1100 yards or close to it and 100  catches. Who was the last 1100 yard 100 catch receiver on the Jets? If Moore could duplicate that, I wouldn't  give a crap how he did it, short, long whatever. And I am not saying that is the only way they should use him as it wasn't  the only way Edelman was used but it would not bother me at all if he was used that way. 

23 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Have you looked at Edelman's numbers? Every time he started 16 games, he had 1100 yards or close to it and 100  catches. Who was the last 1100 yard 100 catch receiver on the Jets? If Moore could duplicate that, I wouldn't  give a crap how he did it, short, long whatever. And I am not saying that is the only way they should use him as it wasn't  the only way Edelman was used but it would not bother me at all if he was used that way. 

That’s just a goofy argument then.  Never mind, you don’t get it.  

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

More like I didn’t realize you weren't capable of understanding the discussion.  But yea, Edelman had good stats, therefore Elijah Moore should emulate Edelman.  Ok, got it….Lol

The idea is you want your receiver to put up those kind of numbers. Moore is a slot receiver, Same position as Edelman. You want to see Moore be a DeSean Jackson type player, I get it. The guy hasn't  shown that. Will he? Maybe but what he should be able to do is catch short passes and turn them into big plays. Nothing at all wrong with that. 

9 hours ago, longsuffering88 said:

He’s a ******* slot receiver

my god why is this coaching staff so dense?

it’s one thing to lose because of talent

another thing to lose by ****ed up stubborn coaching

so frustrating

Crowder is better. Why is Douglas so dense is the question.

On 10/16/2021 at 7:08 AM, FidelioJet said:

Moore is playing on the outside because Crowder is noticeably better.  He’s the best receiver on the team, Moore shouldn’t be taking reps from him. 

Truth is, Mims should be taking his reps out wide too. 

This.

Moore simply isn’t good. 

• Thumb Down 1

On 10/16/2021 at 6:22 AM, Bronx said:

Asked if Moore is struggling with coverages on the outside, where his size (5-foot-10) could be considered a disadvantage, coach Robert Saleh acknowledged that's "a good discussion." He quickly added that Crowder and Braxton Berrios are capable slot receivers, essentially saying there's a logjam.

That’s dumb. He’s getting jammed at the line of scrimmage. He needs to be either in the slot or in motion and run slants out of bunch formations. These idiots keep putting him out wide by himself where they self eliminate his agility.

what i wouldn't give to package this Thread into a DeLorean and have Doc send it back 3-4 months. 

"It's not about whether Moore can play outside, its about where NY will get mileage out of him"

-Dickhead Paradis

"Go to hell, OROY, and WR1"

-most of you in this thread

On 10/16/2021 at 1:53 PM, sec101row23 said:

so much truth here, it's disgusting. Calling @Chrebetfan80 in here cause i know he has thoughts on this.

Getting away from the cement-dense conversation of "outside vs slot" it's much more about the routes being asked of Moore. He's not boundary guy, wasn't one college. Isn't one now. Could that change over time? Maybe. Steve Smith put it together... but it's obvious that right now what they're asking him to do isn't working. Put on the Alabama game last year, the game he "crushed" the tape on. M. Moore the DB who pressed him had his lunch. He's not there yet. Getting a release against a bigger guy outside is just wasting your time. Get him inside, drag routes, stop and go's - running NBs into LBs, shoot up for skinnys and deep curls. Get out off of fight for press at X, my god

• Upvote 1

On 10/16/2021 at 3:22 AM, Bronx said:

Free Elijah!!! 

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- One of the biggest disappointments in the New York Jets' 1-4 start is rookie wide receiver Elijah Moore, who was so dazzling in the spring and early in training camp that team officials were giddy with the belief they had stolen him in the second round of the NFL draft.

He still might turn out to be a steal, but his slow start has tempered the buzz. The numbers: four games, 20 targets, eight catches for 66 yards.

No impact.

"Elijah Moore is a baller and his time is coming, just like the rest of us," said quarterback Zach Wilson, another rookie. "I wish I could get him the ball more; I know that's part of my job. I know he's a dominant player. I need to get him the ball more. It's just buying into the process, knowing it's going to take time."

This isn't a Denzel Mims situation. Unlike Mims, Moore is getting plenty of playing time, but it's not translating into production.

Some of the factors are obvious: No preseason action due to a quadriceps injury, inconsistent play from the quarterback position and the typical college-to-pro transition, although the latter reason doesn't carry as much weight when you consider his SEC peers are lighting it up.

Jaylen Waddle (Miami Dolphins), DeVonta Smith (Philadelphia Eagles), Ja'Marr Chase (Cincinnati Bengals) and Kadarius Toney (New York Giants) are producing solid numbers for their respective teams. Moore, a prolific pass-catcher who averaged 149 receiving yards per game last season at Ole Miss, has managed only two first downs.

What gives?

For one thing, they're playing him out of position. In college, 75% of Moore's production came out of the slot, but the Jets said on draft day that he's more than a slot receiver -- and they're trying to prove their point. Moore and Corey Davis are the outside receivers, with Jamison Crowder in the slot.

Moore has run more than twice as many pass routes outside (69) than from the slot (31), but he has the same number of receptions in each position (four apiece), according to ESPN Stats & Information research. It's a small sample size, but maybe it tells a story.

Asked if Moore is struggling with coverages on the outside, where his size (5-foot-10) could be considered a disadvantage, coach Robert Saleh acknowledged that's "a good discussion." He quickly added that Crowder and Braxton Berrios are capable slot receivers, essentially saying there's a logjam.

"You're trying to get your best players on the football field," Saleh said.

Saleh said plays were called for Moore in Sunday's 27-20 loss to the Atlanta Falcons, but he was targeted only twice (zero catches) because that's what the coverage dictated.

For months, they talked about his ability as a gadget player, someone who could run a jet sweep, a la Deebo Samuel of the San Francisco 49ers. Moore got his first chance in Week 3 against the Denver Broncos, but he suffered a concussion on the play and missed a game. They didn't go back to it against the Falcons.

"There’s always going to be a player who wants more of the ball, but there’s one ball, limited plays, how do you get them all involved?" Saleh asked. "And we can start by having a 70-play game."

Coaches use that rationale when trying to explain why certain players don't get more touches, but it makes little sense. The Jets are averaging only 59 plays per game on offense, which makes it hard to spread around the ball, but maybe they'd be getting more plays if they got the ball to the right people. It's the chicken-egg argument.

The Jets could open two spots by trading Crowder, who is in the final year of his contract, by the Nov. 2 deadline. They could slide Moore into the slot, creating playing time for Mims on the outside. Crowder is a good player, but the Jets have to think about the long term, especially if they're out of contention by then.

In the meantime, the Moore Watch continues.

"I think, as time goes on, we’re just going to keep getting more comfortable with each other," Wilson said. "He’s obviously someone I’m always looking to get the ball in his hands because he’s very dominant."

maybe cause he is half the size as the defender and can't get open?

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

so much truth here, it's disgusting. Calling @Chrebetfan80 in here cause i know he has thoughts on this.

Getting away from the cement-dense conversation of "outside vs slot" it's much more about the routes being asked of Moore. He's not boundary guy, wasn't one college. Isn't one now. Could that change over time? Maybe. Steve Smith put it together... but it's obvious that right now what they're asking him to do isn't working. Put on the Alabama game last year, the game he "crushed" the tape on. M. Moore the DB who pressed him had his lunch. He's not there yet. Getting a release against a bigger guy outside is just wasting your time. Get him inside, drag routes, stop and go's - running NBs into LBs, shoot up for skinnys and deep curls. Get out off of fight for press at X, my god

all of this I agree with, those are great ways to get him involved.  he's a more dynamic guy with the ball in his hands than other guys we have so those routes make sense for him in order to showcase more of his playmaking ability.  

His release moves have been pretty good actually from what I've seen so far, and he has been getting open regularly.  They were posted online somewhere but a buddy of mine let me see the All 22 film from the Falcons game and I will say this.  Moore is open way more than we are giving credit for.  He was wide open on deep out breaking routes multiple times in the game and zach either checked down due to pressure or missed him.  Watching the all 22 gives you a different sense of things,  First off there are guys open all over, Lafluer while you can argue has done a poor job getting easier plays for wilson, has schemed guys open all over so that isnt the issue. 

Moore will get his, he's too dynmaic a player not to, sooner or later things will click with him and zach and it will be explosive.  In the mean time before we can start hitting on the deep outs, corners, and curls, it may be time to get him on some shallows and quick outs to get a rhythm going. 

On 10/16/2021 at 6:33 AM, The Crusher said:

No matter how excited we were it’s not that rare for a wide receiver to acclimate slowly to the NFL. Throw in an offense that isn’t being necessarily working due to a myriad of reasons and another rookie at QB it puts you where they are. The kid needs to play in the slot and we need to get the ball in his hand. Honestly I put most of this on LaFleur, the line and Zach still not progressing at all. I think if Moore played the position he’s meant to he would be contributing more than he is now. FREE ELIJAH-We Need MOORE!

Which is why Crowder should have been traded BEFORE the season started. He's gone after this year anyways so they are just hurting Moore's development. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The Elijah Moore "hot takes" after a slow start look pretty foolish right about now. Is he Jamar Chase? No, but in a less than ideal offensive situation he is on pace for a very good rookie season. 

Please find the “Mike Lafleur sucks” hot takes from a month ago.  Hahahaha.

And when we are one of the best teams in the league 2 years from now, the grandaddy of them all will be the “Fire Douglas/Fire Saleh” hot takes.

Jets fans........ugh.

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The Elijah Moore "hot takes" after a slow start look pretty foolish right about now. Is he Jamar Chase? No, but in a less than ideal offensive situation he is on pace for a very good rookie season. 

He was called the best WR in the draft in training camp then he was called a bust...like usual the truth is somewhere in between the two hyperbolic hot takes.

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

and the bad thing on these hot takes is the kid just played what, 4-5 games. its like if they dont come out in week 1 like an all-pro they can never be good.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, doitny said:

and the bad thing on these hot takes is the kid just played what, 4-5 games. its like if they dont come out in week 1 like an all-pro they can never be good.

People don't have patience anymore.  You are either great or a bust after a couple of games. 

Same applies to Zach wilson. He's a rookie QB in a less than ideal situation.  I'm not saying he's great but give him some time to develop. 

• Upvote 2