Why Is This Bye Different From All Other Byes?

BettyBoop

The answer is simple.  New coaching staff.  New QB.  New GM/HC combo.  New systems.  Yada, yada, yada.  And with that, the main goal for the rest of the season is to determine if we now have the core to build around.  The following questions need to be answered.

• Is Zach going to be good/great.  There's not a binary answer to that.  The OC must adjust, the OL needs to protect and the receivers (calling Elijah Moore!) need to prove themselves.  And of course, Zach needs to play better.  You can't win games consistently by going off script.  He needs to calm the **** down and hit his short passes.
  • Is the OC suited for the job.  Right now he isn't but that could and must change.  His play calling is not putting Zach in the best position to succeed.  As mentioned previously, part of that is on Zach, but LeFleur needs to get better.  Much better.  If not, he will need to be replaced.
  • Are the young corners the real deal.  It looks like Bryce Hall is but let's not get carried away just yet.  He may or not be a CB1 and if not, one will need to be found.  He still has a lot to prove.  MC II and Echols looks like late round steals but there's a long way to go.  Pinnock?  Guidry?  Dunn?  No one really knows.
  • Is there a worthy Edge on the team.  Will Carl Lawson come back to solve that riddle?  Maybe but you can't take that chance.  George Karlaftis may be the next JJ Watt and could be worth a very high pick in 2022.  Ditto Aidan Hutchinson.
  • What is missing in the WR room.  I do think Moore is the real deal but LeFleur has to figure out how to get him involved.    Mims?  No idea but I do think he's being underused.  Trey Burke is an absolute stud and could be the missing link.  If Douglas can't afford to use a premium pick (i.e., first rounder) on a receiver, David Bell from Purdue is a guy to keep an eye on.
  • The OL is not as bad as they played in the first two weeks.  But they're not really very good either.  Rotten is TERRIBLE.  McConnor must be replaced.  I suspect Douglas will go hog wild in trying to fix that next year.  I think he will pay big for a RG should one become available.  There's a HUGE dropoff after Tyler Linderbaum in the 2022 draft and Douglas may use one of his first round picks on him.
  • Will Jarrad Davis fix the problem at LB.  It's a weak group being held together by Mosely and reinforcements are needed.  If Davis isn't the answer the position will need to be addressed again.  FA and middle round picks will likely be used to shore that up.  
  • Will Maye be traded before the deadline.  It's possible a contender (Tampa?  KC?) could be willing to trade a third rounder to shore up their defense for their SB run.  I think Douglas would be willing to make that deal.  There's a possibility Saleh could envision Kyle Hamilton as the prototypical LB/S he envisions and could be taken in the top 5.  If not, I wouldn't expect high level resources to be used at S.  Ashtyn Davis could make that decision easy so he needs to step up.

It's going to be an interesting rest of the season with a lot to prove besides winning games.  I'm looking forward to it.

• Upvote 4

Being a Jets fan is like dipping your hopes in saltwater…

You drink a little, and think you might see land off in the distance,

You might even start swimming, but ultimately it is just delirium and all you are left with is the taste of tears before you drown…

The hope is that Zach will settle down and get his mind right over the bye.  The kid has all the tools but the game is moving too fast for him and hes letting that rattle him.

This was expected his rookie year so there is nothing to worry about.  But it would be real encouraging if he would pick up his play starting this Sunday in NE.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The hope is that Zach will settle down and get his mind right over the bye.  The kid has all the tools but the game is moving too fast for him and hes letting that rattle him.

This was expected his rookie year so there is nothing to worry about.  But it would be real encouraging if he would pick up his play starting this Sunday in NE.

Tell us you’re the one who actually  read that OP and you win a prize!

6 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

The answer is simple.  New coaching staff.  New QB.  New GM/HC combo.  New systems.  Yada, yada, yada.  And with that, the main goal for the rest of the season is to determine if we now have the core to build around.  The following questions need to be answered.

• Is Zach going to be good/great.  There's not a binary answer to that.  The OC must adjust, the OL needs to protect and the receivers (calling Elijah Moore!) need to prove themselves.  And of course, Zach needs to play better.  You can't win games consistently by going off script.  He needs to calm the **** down and hit his short passes.
  • Is the OC suited for the job.  Right now he isn't but that could and must change.  His play calling is not putting Zach in the best position to succeed.  As mentioned previously, part of that is on Zach, but LeFleur needs to get better.  Much better.  If not, he will need to be replaced.
  • Are the young corners the real deal.  It looks like Bryce Hall is but let's not get carried away just yet.  He may or not be a CB1 and if not, one will need to be found.  He still has a lot to prove.  MC II and Echols looks like late round steals but there's a long way to go.  Pinnock?  Guidry?  Dunn?  No one really knows.
  • Is there a worthy Edge on the team.  Will Carl Lawson come back to solve that riddle?  Maybe but you can't take that chance.  George Karlaftis may be the next JJ Watt and could be worth a very high pick in 2022.  Ditto Aidan Hutchinson.
  • What is missing in the WR room.  I do think Moore is the real deal but LeFleur has to figure out how to get him involved.    Mims?  No idea but I do think he's being underused.  Trey Burke is an absolute stud and could be the missing link.  If Douglas can't afford to use a premium pick (i.e., first rounder) on a receiver, David Bell from Purdue is a guy to keep an eye on.
  • The OL is not as bad as they played in the first two weeks.  But they're not really very good either.  Rotten is TERRIBLE.  McConnor must be replaced.  I suspect Douglas will go hog wild in trying to fix that next year.  I think he will pay big for a RG should one become available.  There's a HUGE dropoff after Tyler Linderbaum in the 2022 draft and Douglas may use one of his first round picks on him.
  • Will Jarrad Davis fix the problem at LB.  It's a weak group being held together by Mosely and reinforcements are needed.  If Davis isn't the answer the position will need to be addressed again.  FA and middle round picks will likely be used to shore that up.  
  • Will Maye be traded before the deadline.  It's possible a contender (Tampa?  KC?) could be willing to trade a third rounder to shore up their defense for their SB run.  I think Douglas would be willing to make that deal.  There's a possibility Saleh could envision Kyle Hamilton as the prototypical LB/S he envisions and could be taken in the top 5.  If not, I wouldn't expect high level resources to be used at S.  Ashtyn Davis could make that decision easy so he needs to step up.

It's going to be an interesting rest of the season with a lot to prove besides winning games.  I'm looking forward to it.

This is pretty spot on and at least for me, it highlights the fact that after 2 drafts and 3+ seasons under Joe Douglas, we are truly no further along in our latest "rebuild" than the day he started.  The names in the front office change every few years and so do the HC's and players on the field,  but the end result is the Jets forever spinning their wheels, going absolutely nowhere.  When the hell is this ever going to end????

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

This is pretty spot on and at least for me, it highlights the fact that after 2 drafts and 3+ seasons under Joe Douglas, we are truly no further along in our latest "rebuild" than the day he started.  The names in the front office change every few years and so do the HC's and players on the field,  but the end result is the Jets forever spinning their wheels, going absolutely nowhere.  When the hell is this ever going to end????

He's been here for 2 years and 4 months.