Not Giving up on Wilson But Fields Looks Pretty Good...

JetBlue

6 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yes.  The entire game.  Lawrence did not throw a game-winning TD pass. He threw a TD pass to Marvin Jones in the 3rd quarter that was a well thrown ball, but Jones made a great catch.  I've seen many TD passes like that one every week.  It was not a once in a lifetime throw as stated in your post.  And it did not win the game.  It gave the Jaguars a 17-13 lead in the 3rd quarter.  

I didn't  say game winning TD

The pass he made with 3 seconds on the clock to set up the FG was what I was talking about. That pass was what won it IMO. Sure the kicker needed to make the FG but he made that happen with almost no time left. 

His downfield accuracy is ridiculous.  It's already elite.  His ability to drop it in the bucket is stupid good.  Makes all the simple stuff, look, well simple.   Kid looks really good.  He's going to be a star in this league.  I think the most impressive part of Justin Fields is that he's stepping in like this while taking 2nd string reps up until a month ago.  You can see now that he's getting the majority of them, that's just getting better and better.  Kid is going to be stupid good in this league. 

But it's cool, Zach Wilson is awesome! So no harm, no foul. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

His downfield accuracy is ridiculous.  It's already elite.  His ability to drop it in the bucket is stupid good.  Makes all the simple stuff, look, well simple.   Kid looks really good.  He's going to be a star in this league.  I think the most impressive part of Justin Fields is that he's stepping in like this while taking 2nd string reps up until a month ago.  You can see now that he's getting the majority of them, that's just getting better and better.  Kid is going to be stupid good in this league. 

Man, this must be like the DeShaun Watson thing all over for you again minus the silly radar gun. I’m like literally bottom 10% of college football acumen on this board but after reading that stuff from the draft forum @win4ever posted and listening to you closely, intimately while naked, even I saw that he’s likely going to be a very good to great one. Sadly the shortcomings the two of you pointed out on Zach are on full display in the NFL. Here for you Boo Boo! 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Of all the rookie QBs that are playing right now, Zach was the only one who was anointed the starter before training camp even began.   He was QB1 from day one.   All the other rookies went through some sort of competition and rep splitting through camp and Pre season.  Now that some of these guys are now starting and getting the QB1 reps, they are showing growth.  Fields is getting comfortable, Trevor is starting to do his thing now and looks really good, even Davis Mills has looked decent.   Hopefully Zach shows some growth against the Pats, he should, NE defense isn’t great and they are playing them for the second time this season.  

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

We’re not watching the same player. Fields shouldnt be playing over Dalton.

14 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Of all the rookie QBs that are playing right now, Zach was the only one who was anointed the starter before training camp even began.   He was QB1 from day one.   All the other rookies went through some sort of competition and rep splitting through camp and Pre season.  Now that some of these guys are now starting and getting the QB1 reps, they are showing growth.  Fields is getting comfortable, Trevor is starting to do his thing now and looks really good, even Davis Mills has looked decent.   Hopefully Zach shows some growth against the Pats, he should, NE defense isn’t great and they are playing them for the second time this season.  

lol - yeah, at least the Jags faked a competition....the Jets didnt even do that!

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

This is like the pre victory lap stretch/warmup

14 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean he threw for 170 yards and took 4 sacks while putting up 14 points. Herbert ran well yesterday too. 

And?  Herbert and Lamar didnt have great days yesterdays, Rodgers wasnt even that good...but they're on much better teams w/ 10x the coaching.   Fields plays on the worst offense in the NFL and was playing a team 10x better team and yet, he's making them competitive by elevating their play.  It's more than the stats.  Kid looks very good, very comfortable and when you have the ability to hit anyone at any spot on the field with pinpoint accuracy, in addition to everything else he offers?  Future looks bright for Fields 4 weeks into his career.   

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Why do people feel the need to say things like "I'm not giving up on X but this other guy...".

Observations, evaluations and criticism stand up just fine on their own, they don't need caveats about you "not giving up on" on other guys.  

If you think Fields looks good, just say so, then say why.  That has nothing to do with with Wilson.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

That is what I also saw.  Sure he made a ton of mistakes; why is anyone surprised?  That is what most rookie quarterbacks do (Mac Jones being an exception).   But his skill set can't be taught and if he can get the mental side down, in a few years he is going be a very, very good.     

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why do people feel the need to say things like "I'm not giving up on X but this other guy...".

Observations, evaluations and criticism stand up just fine on their own, they don't need caveats about you "not giving up on" on other guys.  

If you think Fields looks good, just say so, then say why.  That has nothing to do with with Wilson.  

Why do you care?  People can say whatever they want; who are you the opinion police? 

19 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Fields made some typical rookie mistakes today but you can see the potential Fields has.  From a physical stand point he has it all; strong arm, great size, blazing speed.   Plus a coaching staff that seems to have designed their offense to make it easier for him to get acclimated to the NFL, unlike our CS.    Still don't understand why he lasted so long in the draft but the I think the Bears have their franchise quarterback.   Once he gets the mental part down he is going to be a real problem. 

I have not given up on Zach, nor do wish we had taken Fields over him although I would have been fine if he were the pick.  The more I watch these young quarterbacks like Fields, Lance, Lawerence, etc.  The more I place the blame on the ineptitude of our coaching staff, then on Wilson, both on play design and who they are playing at the skill position.  If we don't see more sets that include BOTH Mims and Moore, along with Carter out of the backfield then I personally believe no matter who we drafted at quarterback, they would struggle with this clueless staff.  

seen better out of Zach than  the others.. Glad we got Zach

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

yeah I read it as I think zach sucks and these other guys are better...grass is greener kind of thing going on I suspect on the posters part

19 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Fields made some typical rookie mistakes today but you can see the potential Fields has.  From a physical stand point he has it all; strong arm, great size, blazing speed.   Plus a coaching staff that seems to have designed their offense to make it easier for him to get acclimated to the NFL, unlike our CS.    Still don't understand why he lasted so long in the draft but the I think the Bears have their franchise quarterback.   Once he gets the mental part down he is going to be a real problem. 

I have not given up on Zach, nor do wish we had taken Fields over him although I would have been fine if he were the pick.  The more I watch these young quarterbacks like Fields, Lance, Lawerence, etc.  The more I place the blame on the ineptitude of our coaching staff, then on Wilson, both on play design and who they are playing at the skill position.  If we don't see more sets that include BOTH Mims and Moore, along with Carter out of the backfield then I personally believe no matter who we drafted at quarterback, they would struggle with this clueless staff.  

uh...fields and lawrence are both playing on more established teams.  it stands to reason they'll look better.  same thing with jones though maybe his team isn't so good overall.  lawrence has the same record as wilson right now.  wilson's going to get through this.  the throws he's missing are easy to correct.  the receivers are getting open and the oline is playing better.

12 minutes ago, rangerous said:

uh...fields and lawrence are both playing on more established teams.  it stands to reason they'll look better.  same thing with jones though maybe his team isn't so good overall.  lawrence has the same record as wilson right now.  wilson's going to get through this.  the throws he's missing are easy to correct.  the receivers are getting open and the oline is playing better.

No one saying otherwise.  In fact if you actually read the post you have seen that I stated if any of the other young qbs were on the Jets they would probably be struggling just like Wilson.  

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

For as long as mankind has had a mouth, they have talked out of both sides of it. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

That is what I also saw.  Sure he made a ton of mistakes; why is anyone surprised?  That is what most rookie quarterbacks do (Mac Jones being an exception).   But his skill set can't be taught and if he can get the mental side down, in a few years he is going be a very, very good.     

All the rookies look about the same, if you ask me.  Yes, Mac Jones takes care of the ball but he's also in the best situation of any rookie and plays in a dink and dunk offense that fits his water pistol arm.  Probably a take I'll regret but I dont see where else there is to go for Mac Jones, he is what he is, you've got all you'll ever get.  At least with the other guys TL, ZW, Lance and JF - they all have ridiculously high ceilings and 2 of those 4 are getting better and better each week.  Right now, TL and Fields seem to be making the most progress week over week and I think are showing the most potential long term but it's too early to make heads and tails of anything or to make any significant predictions on any of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

For as long as mankind has had a mouth, they have talked out of both sides of it. 

Yup.  

It's just funnier reading it in the era of "People Afraid to Be Wrong on the Internet".

Personally, I wanted Fields (early) or Jones (late), and not Wilson. 

We drafted Wilson anyway.  So now I root for Wilson because he's a Jet. 

Fields looks just as poop if not more poop then Wilson so far.  JMO.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

No one saying otherwise.  In fact if you actually read the post you have seen that I stated if any of the other young qbs were on the Jets they would probably be struggling just like Wilson.  

yes but the key is the coaching staff.  people need to chill a bit about saleh and lafleur and co.  this is just the way it is for new staffs, new players, and so on.

I’m curious to see how ZW responds against NE after the bye week. He didn’t have the short ball accuracy issues in college like he’s had the last couple of games. And, his mechanics are digressing  

The NFL game seems to messing with his head. He has now had some time to work through it with help from John Beck. 

I’m not expecting for him to come back perfect; however, if he comes back without noticeable improvement on the fundamentals of his game, I will concerned whether he has the mental toughness to become FQB in the NFL.