Donovan Peoples-Jones is LEGIT... And should have been Drafted by The Jets

JetBlue

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Good post by jetblue and i agree totally.  that draft had a lot of wr talent and douglas for sure should have double dipped at wr.

And 'I told you so' is 100% valid if during that draft this was your opinion which it was for many.  DPJ was picked in the 6th round, now look at our sorry ass 4th round of the same draft.  You 'get good' by hitting on picks as a gm, not missing.

JD seems a little arrogant (overconfident if you want to be nice). “I drafted a WR, we are set. Don’t need a backup QB I just drafted Mahomes Jr.”

The only position group he takes multiple parallel shots at getting right is OL which, ironically, is the area he SHOULD have the most confidence in as a supposed OL expert.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

We can't do this every time a player does well. 

But we do, which is why we wind up with threads topics like this. 

IIRC, Peoples fell in the draft by several rounds from his predicted spot.  From the looks of it, 32 teams passed on him multiple times until one stepped up.  It wasn't the Jets.  I don't see how that warrants a thread just because the OP liked the guy coming out.  Basically, EVERY team passed on him multiple times from his predicted draft spot, yet somehow it's all on the Jets here.  The Jets passed on Tom Brady and Russell Wilson as well as hundreds of excellent NFL players. And so did the other 31 teams.  

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Green hat said:

He put together a solid WR group using high picks and reasonable FA contracts. Who would this guy replace on our depth chart? 

You do realize he would have been on the team BEFORE the Free agency right?  Perhaps we would not have needed to sign Cole, but instead focused on another OL.  Or they don't take Moore but take the TE Friermuth instead.   All I know was there was plenty of folks who liked DPJ in that draft and the fact that we passed on him for a back up quarterback and a punter was very disappointing to me.  Now to see him starting show is ability it just reinforces the point that much more. 

14 hours ago, Dcat said:

But we do, which is why we wind up with threads topics like this. 

IIRC, Peoples fell in the draft by several rounds from his predicted spot.  From the looks of it, 32 teams passed on him multiple times until one stepped up.  It wasn't the Jets.  I don't see how that warrants a thread just because the OP liked the guy coming out.  Basically, EVERY team passed on him multiple times from his predicted draft spot, yet somehow it's all on the Jets here.  The Jets passed on Tom Brady and Russell Wilson as well as hundreds of excellent NFL players. And so did the other 31 teams.  

Dude I am Jet fan so I don't really care what other teams do or who they pass on.  We were the team desperately in need of more receiving help and a talented but raw receiver was there for the taking and we passed on him for a punter, a back up quarterback and an offensive guard (who I was okay with).    No one and I mean NO ONE thought Tom Brady was going to be much, Russell Wilson went in the 3rd round not the 6th.    They way good teams become and stay good is by finding these late round gems.  I mean we could have also taken Quez Watkins who went in the 5th and is now looking like a real player for the Eagles.  Again these observations on Watkins and DPJ were made before, during and after the draft.   I didn't understand and still don't see how didn't come away with at least one of those other receivers in the later rounds.   

9 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

You do realize he would have been on the team BEFORE the Free agency right?  Perhaps we would not have needed to sign Cole, but instead focused on another OL.  Or they don't take Moore but take the TE Friermuth instead.   All I know was there was plenty of folks who liked DPJ in that draft and the fact that we passed on him for a back up quarterback and a punter was very disappointing to me.  Now to see him starting show is ability it just reinforces the point that much more. 

Come and listen to my story about a man named Stephen,

A highly drafted college player known to play a little uneven,

He jumped off the tape at the combine and Tanny just could not resist,

Blew up in his first pro game and was never heard again from since.

Stephen Hill Stats

First pro game: 5/84/2

All his games thereafter: 40/510/2

Beware the small sample size, my friend.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Come and listen to my story about a man named Stephen,

A highly drafted college player known to play a little uneven,

He jumped off the tape at the combine and Tanny just could not resist,

Blew up in his first pro game and was never heard again from since.

Stephen Hill Stats

First pro game: 5/84/2

All his games thereafter: 40/510/2

Beware the small sample size, my friend.

to be fair he benefited from megatron more than anyone. guy had like 18 catches in college....but they were a "running team"...and calvin johnson from what i remember also didnt have huge numbers in GT.

Just now, k-met57 said:

to be fair he benefited from megatron more than anyone. guy had like 18 catches in college....but they were a "running team"...and calvin johnson from what i remember also didnt have huge numbers in GT.

He sure did but my point is small sample size is a poor basis for a victory lap of any kind.

he has more than one good game and is in the process of developing chemistry with his quarterback.  He flashed in several games last year.  Mayfield is starting to look for him more and more.  I swear it is like some of can't think for yourselves.   This not an I told you so, it is reality staring you in the face.   They passed on a guy with great tools at a position of need, and even if he was a bust, it would have been more understandable than wasting a 4th rounder on a back up quarterback that couldn't even make a the roster of a 2 - 14 team one year later.  
To put this into perspective dpj has only 5 more receptions this year than Elijah Moore and has played two more games. Mayfield should Target the kid more after he had a two touchdown game but this is not a guy Mayfield is currently looking for on each game. He has not had many good games and has not proven anything yet. He would not have been a bad draft pick because he has potential but the fact that you are trying to make him into the next great reciever is a huge stretch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Dude I am Jet fan so I don't really care what other teams do or who they pass on.  We were the team desperately in need of more receiving help and a talented but raw receiver was there for the taking and we passed on him for a punter, a back up quarterback and an offensive guard (who I was okay with).    No one and I mean NO ONE thought Tom Brady was going to be much, Russell Wilson went in the 3rd round not the 6th.    They way good teams become and stay good is by finding these late round gems.  I mean we could have also taken Quez Watkins who went in the 5th and is now looking like a real player for the Eagles.  Again these observations on Watkins and DPJ were made before, during and after the draft.   I didn't understand and still don't see how didn't come away with at least one of those other receivers in the later rounds.   

Whatever. Sure... the Jets should have drafted Peoples Jones. :rolleyes:

On 10/18/2021 at 10:08 PM, LockeJET said:

Should’ve drafted Jerry Rice and  Marino instead of Toon and Kenny O. I was banging the table. I loved the James Morgan, Cam Clark and Lamical Perrine picks, our receiver corp was as good as there was in the NFL, and I've been proven right. Hell, I still think Jabari Zuniga was the steal of that draft. 

Wow, really?

(alt response: See how stupid this gets?)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dcat said:

Whatever. Sure... the Jets should have drafted Peoples Jones. :rolleyes:

There are like 5 receivers that JD could have taken that were better choices than the Morgan, Perrine, Cam Clark picks. How do I know? Well, I have this special ability to see into the past. It's not hard. Almost as tough as seeing the deepest WR draft in maybe history and looking at our depth chart and going "Hey, maybe take more than Denzel Mims, whaddya say, there, Teddy Bear GM?" So, if we're going with the premise that we needed a receiver in those later rounds, what are the ODDS that SOMEONE would have thought we should have drafted a 6'2 receiver who runs a 4.48 with a 45 inch vertical leap? 

But go on with your Jerry Rice and Tom Brady analogies, they're pretty good. Because you know, clairvoyance and stuff.

• Sympathy 1

I don't see why OP is being ridiculed for this.

It was f*cking ludicrous that we came away with only one WR from that draft class. I wasn't even a DPJ guy but there was a ton of a high ceiling players dropping down into the mid/late rounds. Meanwhile we drafted nothing but genuine trash in the 4th rounds, players who had little to no chance of being high impact players and who are all but out of the league already. Perine especially was a laughable pick - A back with literally no exceptional abilities at all - You get a guy like that from the FA scrap heap any week of the season. 

The 2020 draft looks like a complete debacle with missed opportunities galore. DPJ is just another example of someone we could have had. That game was a while in the making too - he's been earning more playing time every week. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/18/2021 at 3:46 PM, Turd Ferguson said:

Couldn’t this be said for every player that is good and that the Jets didn’t draft?

I can only speak about the ones I was hoping for before and during the draft...  Especially when it was a position of need and that need was one of the deepest positions in over a decade.  

On 10/19/2021 at 4:03 PM, bealeb319 said:

To put this into perspective dpj has only 5 more receptions this year than Elijah Moore and has played two more games. Mayfield should Target the kid more after he had a two touchdown game but this is not a guy Mayfield is currently looking for on each game. He has not had many good games and has not proven anything yet. He would not have been a bad draft pick because he has potential but the fact that you are trying to make him into the next great reciever is a huge stretch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Never said he was a great receiver. I said he was legit and I stand by that; Mayfield has been looking for him more and more and he has delivered.  I am looking at what his potential and what I can see him doing in the games to come.  Sometime it is not always just numbers, especially when you are looking at young players who take time to get the playing time and to get in sync with their quarterback.  The bottom line is he is a weapon I can definitely see Mayfield utilizing a lot more going forward. 

On 10/18/2021 at 5:15 PM, Gastineau Lives said:

No, there was a bunch of us, perhaps more than not, that were beating the drum for Douglas to draft more than one receiver in the best receiver draft in a long time when the receivers group was the weakest part of the team, arguably.

This literally has nothing to do with the post I had quoted.

On 10/18/2021 at 3:42 PM, JetBlue said:

Beating a dead horse post number __________.    I was banging on the table for JD to take this guy in the 5th or 6th round; and I wasn't the only one to do so. .  Today is starting to look like one of steals of the 2020 draft.  Of course if he had been drafted by the Jets, he probably would "inactive" with this CS so we would not see what we are currently seeing.    Similar to what we are seeing with Mims smh. 

Remember the big knock on DPJ was his route running and being raw...   Well seems the Browns CS recognizes talent and seeks ways to get him the ball.  Our staff rather have Mims learn every route in the play book.... than refuse to get him involved.    There is a lesson here somewhere.   

WTF It's a Gronk commercial. 

On 10/20/2021 at 5:59 AM, Irish Jet said:

I don't see why OP is being ridiculed for this.

It was f*cking ludicrous that we came away with only one WR from that draft class. I wasn't even a DPJ guy but there was a ton of a high ceiling players dropping down into the mid/late rounds. Meanwhile we drafted nothing but genuine trash in the 4th rounds, players who had little to no chance of being high impact players and who are all but out of the league already. Perine especially was a laughable pick - A back with literally no exceptional abilities at all - You get a guy like that from the FA scrap heap any week of the season. 

The 2020 draft looks like a complete debacle with missed opportunities galore. DPJ is just another example of someone we could have had. That game was a while in the making too - he's been earning more playing time every week. 

We could point to players like Darryl Mooney, Tyler Johnson, Quez Watkins just to name a few mid to late round receivers that were there for the taking.  DPJ just being on I was really intrigued by because of his measurables (6'3 4.45 speed) and decent college production.    I'm sure I am even missing a few others. 

On 10/18/2021 at 3:42 PM, JetBlue said:

Beating a dead horse post number __________.   

Knowing is half the battle.

I wouldn't lose sleep over a 6th round WR who worked out.  I kinda like the guy we used the last pick on before Jones was taken (Bryce Hall).  NOW, had he have been there four picks later when we took a punter.....

• Haha 1