You need to win 1 game...

jgb

Best of the Worst  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Which NYJ bust QB do you go with in their "prime" (such as they had one)

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right but perfect defense doesn't happen either, especially not in the modern NFL.  The defense was asked to do way too much all year long.  The one time the D fell short against a good Steeler team, on the road, people blamed them for the L.  From time to time you need your QB and offense to carry the day and Sanchez simply could not do it.  

I still picked Sanchez, because we actually saw him play decently in postseason games and the Jets were never good enough to play in "big games" with Darnold or Geno.  But it's not a runaway.

This thread is like asking people to pick the method of gouging out their eyes:  Knife, fork, or spoon.  I chose the spoon.  

I’d actually take Geno over Darnold. And my hate for Geno cannot be expressed by any language yet known to humanity.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Sanchez was bodily carried into those playoff years by a great roster.  Once there, he played pretty well, admittedly, still surrounded by a great roster.

When the roster wasn't so great, he never sniffed the postseason or winning clutch games.  he never elevated his supporting cast in any way.

Darnold, similarly, never had remotely as great a roster as Sanchez had, and also never sniffed the postseason.  We'll never know how he might have done surrounded by the great talent Sanchez enjoyed.

It's yet another time where Jets fans have to debate which turn smells the best, sadly, but I went with Darnold over Sanchez. 

I think he's the better QB of the two, and there is still some unknown to Sam (as he's still in the league while Sanchez no longer is).  Not by much, and with an admittedly weaker resume, especially in the post.  But frankly, they both suck, so it's a moot point IMO.  Two turds.

If the premise is which QB can win you the big game, Sanchez already proved he can. And I don’t like Sanchez, but those playoff runs of 09 and 10 he showed up

31 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

If the premise is which QB can win you the big game, Sanchez already proved he can. And I don’t like Sanchez, but those playoff runs of 09 and 10 he showed up

Except this is really so wildly untrue, with the only basis for these claims being its mindless repetition.  The Pats game is the only postseason one he showed up to at all.

In 2009 the team's entire gameplan vs the Bengals was to avoid using Sanchez at all costs, with a grand total of 15 pass attempts.  He was absolutely horrific against the Chargers, but they won in spite of him being by far the very worst player on the entire team that day.  He then did nothing against the Colts but throw one go-route and be otherwise invisible for the entire game, but unfortunately the rest of the team was unable to drag his useless ass to victory again, which is the only nonsensical argument for him.

In 2010 he completely sucked again vs the Colts, had one good game against the Pats where the entire team gloriously kicked the crap out of them in all phases, before then being single-handedly responsible for the the Steelers' margin of victory, yet the D only allowing 17 points and scoring 2 of their own having to be laughably presented as negative as the only way to desperately excuse him for once again being the team's worst individual performer.

There's very little to suggest any random QB in NFL history couldn't have done just as well, if not better, for at least 5 out of 6 of those, even including any of the idiots that followed with the Jets, if given the same opportunity.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Except this is really so wildly untrue, with the only basis for these claims being its mindless repetition.  The Pats game is the only postseason one he showed up to at all.

In 2009 the team's entire gameplan vs the Bengals was to avoid using Sanchez at all costs, with a grand total of 15 pass attempts.  He was absolutely horrific against the Chargers, but they won in spite of him being by far the very worst player on the entire team that day.  He then did nothing against the Colts but throw one go-route and be otherwise invisible for the entire game, but unfortunately the rest of the team was unable to drag his useless ass to victory again, which is the only nonsensical argument for him.

In 2010 he completely sucked again vs the Colts, had one good game against the Pats where the entire team gloriously kicked the crap out of them in all phases, before then being single-handedly responsible for the the Steelers' margin of victory, yet the D only allowing 17 points and scoring 2 of their own having to be laughably presented as negative as the only way to desperately excuse him for once again being the team's worst individual performer.

There's very little to suggest any random QB in NFL history couldn't have done just as well, if not better, for at least 5 out of 6 of those, even including any of the idiots that followed with the Jets, if given the same opportunity.

Fair but did he personally lose any of those games? Can you say the same of the other options? You can’t since they didn’t have the opportunity.  All I’m saying is Sanchez played four playoff games and didn’t sh*t the bed. It’s a low bar but that’s where we’re at 

3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Fair but did he personally lose any of those games? Can you say the same of the other options? You can’t since they didn’t have the opportunity.  All I’m saying is Sanchez played four playoff games and didn’t sh*t the bed. It’s a low bar but that’s where we’re at 

Call me an optimist, but I fully believe both Geno and Sam could manage going 12 of 23 for 100 yards as their contribution to a victory.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Call me an optimist, but I fully believe both Geno and Sam could manage going 12 of 23 for 100 yards as their contribution to a victory.

Without throwing 3 ints?  All I’m saying is Mark played those games and didn’t personally lose them. Not saying any more or any less. 

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I guess the question should actually be what coach would you use? That or what position on the football team would you put in former jets to help win 1 game?

22 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Without throwing 3 ints?  All I’m saying is Mark played those games and didn’t personally lose them. Not saying any more or any less. 

Considering Sanchez had a worse INT rate than either of them in all of their respective times with the team, and they both also somehow miraculously managed a few of those elusive one-INT performances Sanchez had in that same "winning" 100-yard under-50% example, they just might be able to pull off that impossible feat.

What little you are saying is still inaccurate at its core.  The team winning games in spite of its very worst player does not give any value to his individual performance.  Saying his play had anything to do with the outcome is nothing more than a false equivalence, with little more to it than if you were to praise the talents of Darron Lee, because he happens to own a Super Bowl ring.

The only reason he supposedly "didn't personally lose" more than 2, is not due to anything he did himself, but solely because the rest of the team worked tirelessly to make him as completely irrelevant to the outcome as possible.  Many, many teams have lost with far greater QB performances, including most of those whom the Jets defeated.  He was by far the greatest weakness on what was otherwise two of the very best Jets teams in history, and that was in no way different in the postseason.

Sanchez obviously had the most good moments for the franchise. How Darnold would've done had he started his career on teams at the level of the ones Sanchez was drafted onto is an interesting question. Honestly pretty similar players - definite talent and some impressive plays but could never avoid those oh no decisions that cost the team.

I'd probably roll the dice on Darnold since we know coming into a good situation didn't work for Sanchez and we don't know how it would've gone for Darnold but realistically I think it's probably six vs. half a dozen between the two.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 6:10 PM, jgb said:

I’d actually take Geno over Darnold. And my hate for Geno cannot be expressed by any language yet known to humanity.

Geno

Year
Team
CMP%
YDS
TD
INT
Rating

Darnold

Year
Team
CMP%
YDS
TD
INT
Rating

58 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

If I had to win a game, give me Mike White. Dude's averaging 400+ yards in games he's started.

The Jets had to win that game against the Bengals! For the fans, for the players, for the coaches and for the world! That Bengal game meant a lot for the whole program just to reinforce that we are maybe headed in the right direction. So yes Mike White gets my vote 100%. Imagine if White and the Jets beat the Colts and MFW plays great? The Mike White story will grow and grow and the Buffalo game will be a madhouse! By the way MFW for anybody that aint figured it out yet is Mike Fukin White!

• Upvote 1