Jump to content

***Official New York Jets All-time Draft BUST Team***


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

We had to suck for one year to draft Zach. Same for becton - what are you saying? Lol

Allowing this general manager to reset with Zach Wilson meant abandoning all that we had invested in Sam Darnold, and Sam Darnold cost us millions of dollars and several picks to move up and take him.  All the losing we did in 2020 in 2019 was for one purpose and that is to get premium draft picks. These guys don’t look the part.  This is supposed to be our reward for patience the last 5 years, and they are not rewarding.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is this necessary

Leon Hess Woody Johnson Christopher Johnson The End

This is a nice thread to sit down sip a kale tonic , nibble on some tofu, listen to the engine run, and ignore the smell of the exhaust. 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

next we should do the all-time "ones who got away team" showing people we passed on that people were clamoring for that have had great careers.

That topic appears daily here in some form or another, ad nauseum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jgb said:

First time we have disagreed in weeks but 3 years in, the investment in Sam is irrelevant. To allow that to guide decision-making is falling prey to the sunken cost fallacy.

I will disagree on the following grounds: because the team thought that Zach Wilson would be an upgrade they allowed themselves to walk away from the investment in Sam Darnold. Had there been no quarterback Douglas and Saleh felt were better than Darnold, he would still be on the team, we would have traded the Wilson pick for a draft pick haul for the ages, and our roster would be much better for it. 

So the two are connected. If Zach busts it’s a triple whammy.  It cost us Sam, it cost us the Zach pick, and it cost us a haul of picks that we did not take advantage of.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SAR I said:

I will disagree on the following grounds: because the team thought that Zach Wilson would be an upgrade they allowed themselves to walk away from the investment in Sam Darnold. Had there been no quarterback Douglas and Saleh felt were better than Darnold, he would still be on the team, we would have traded the Wilson pick for a draft pick haul for the ages, and our roster would be much better for it. 

So the two are connected. If Zach busts it’s a triple whammy.  It cost us Sam, it cost us the Zach pick, and it cost us a haul of picks that we did not take advantage of.

SAR I

Sam was gone next season absent an incredible turnaround. If he had that in him, he wouldn't be the 26th ranked QB on a much better Panther's offense. Better to get something now than nothing next off season. We can certainly debate whether Zach was the right guy to get (I wanted Trubisky as a bridge) but moving on from Darnold now was an absolute no-brainer.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Allowing this general manager to reset with Zach Wilson meant abandoning all that we had invested in Sam Darnold, and Sam Darnold cost us millions of dollars and several picks to move up and take him.  All the losing we did in 2020 in 2019 was for one purpose and that is to get premium draft picks. These guys don’t look the part.  This is supposed to be our reward for patience the last 5 years, and they are not rewarding.

SAR I

The money and draft capital spent on Sam Darnold was a sunk cost. He's not a long term answer at QB. I'm not sure how much more evidence people need for this. Investing in Darnold further would have been the absolute worst thing we could have done - regardless of what Wilson becomes. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sam was gone next season absent an incredible turnaround. If he had that in him, he wouldn't be the 26th ranked QB on a much better Panther's offense. Better to get something now than nothing next off season. We can certainly debate whether Zach was the right guy to get (I wanted Trubisky as a bridge) but moving on from Darnold now was an absolute no-brainer.

While I understand the concept of grabbing a quarterback when you are sitting with the second pick in the draft, we would’ve been better served to not go for the quarterback or the head coach until the foundation of the rest of the team was ready for such things. It feels like we jumped the gun and just caused more confusion. Gase and Darnold we’re never going to lead us to the promised land, but they were very good pieces for a rebuilding mess that could’ve been punted the moment we were ready to turn the corner.  

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SAR I said:

While I understand the concept of grabbing a quarterback when you are sitting with the second pick in the draft, we would’ve been better served to not go for the quarterback or the head coach until the foundation of the rest of the team was ready for such things. It feels like we jumped the gun and just caused more confusion. Gase and Darnold we’re never going to lead us to the promised land, but they were very good pieces for a rebuilding mess that could’ve been punted the moment we were ready to turn the corner.  

SAR I

You have rehabilitated yourself quite a bit but I'm not going down the Gase road with you again. Not now or ever.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The money and draft capital spent on Sam Darnold was a sunk cost. He's not a long term answer at QB. I'm not sure how much more evidence people need for this. Investing in Darnold further would have been the absolute worst thing we could have done - regardless of what Wilson becomes. 

I was not advocating for investing in Darnold, but rather using Darnold as a punching bag this season and next until we had enough pieces in place to really be ready to turn the corner.

By bringing in a rookie quarterback and a rookie head coach to an unfinished roster, what have we accomplished? The second year and third year guys can’t get closer to the playoffs, and the rookies don’t have veterans to rely on for wisdom. Everyone is frustrated.  Didn’t have to be this way.  We didn’t need to be an expansion team.  

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SAR I said:

I was not advocating for investing in Darnold, but rather using Darnold as a punching bag this season and next until we had enough pieces in place to really be ready to turn the corner.

By bringing in a rookie quarterback and a rookie head coach to an unfinished roster, what have we accomplished? The second year and third year guys can’t get closer to the playoffs, and the rookies don’t have veterans to rely on for wisdom. 

SAR I

Ahhh ok, this is a fair argument. 

My take on this is, when you are picking #2 overall and you need a QB, you take a QB - unless you just don't like any in the draft. 

At the end of the day, Douglas probably won't survive Zach being a bust. He needs Zach to at least be serviceable. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I was not advocating for investing in Darnold, but rather using Darnold as a punching bag this season and next until we had enough pieces in place to really be ready to turn the corner.
 

This take makes no sense. Get what you can in draft capital for Darnold and sign a FA to be a punching bag. It seems you are grasping to find a justification for what you really want -- to give Sam another chance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jgb said:

This take makes no sense. Get what you can in draft capital for Darnold and sign a FA to be a punching bag. It seems you are grasping to find a justification for what you really want -- to give Sam another chance. 

No… No… No…

I am not a Sam Darnold fan at all.  He’s not the answer.  But I believe Joe Douglas jumped the gun and made a strategic error in grabbing a rookie quarterback and a rookie coaching staff atop a gutted and unfinished roster.

I felt good about what he did back in August with all the hype coming from the beat writers who made it sound like Douglas’ drafts were solid and the foundation that he had laid were strong. But knowing now what we know, he screwed up big-time. It doesn’t matter that we had the #2 pick. We were not ready for a rookie quarterback and a rookie coaching staff. Now what we have is a colossal mess.  Darnold and Gase were proven to be able to cope with losing and motivate a downtrodden team to wins.  Exactly what we need right now.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No… No… No…

I am not a Sam Darnold fan at all.  He’s not the answer.  But I believe Joe Douglas jumped the gun and made a strategic error in grabbing a rookie quarterback and a rookie coaching staff atop a gutted and unfinished roster.

I felt good about what he did back in August with all the hype coming from the beat writers who made it sound like Douglas’ drafts were solid and the foundation that he had laid were strong. But knowing now what we know, he screwed up big-time. It doesn’t matter that we had the #2 pick. We were not ready for a rookie quarterback and a rookie coaching staff. Now what we have is a colossal mess.  Darnold and Gase were proven to be able to cope with losing and motivate a downtrodden team to wins.  Exactly what we need right now.

SAR I

You need to untether your hatred for Zach from Darnold completely. I have pointed out the best solution to achieve your stated objective: trade Darnold for picks, bring in a cheap FA as punching bag, don't draft Zach. You are either being stubborn or you aren't being honest about your feelings for Sam.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

We've done the all-time team, we've created the franken-quarterback, we've done top 10 bust lists. Let's do the all-time all bust team. If this has been done before I'm not sorry (just kidding, I am sorry, if it has been done please point me to that thread and shame me publicly).

Add your picks. Higher points for higher selections, and for calamitous draft circumstances, ie. trading two first round picks for DRob., passing on HOFers.

Who we got?

Defense first (because it's easier):

DE - Gholston

DT - DRob

DT 

DE - Polite

OLB - Darron Lee

MLB - Anthony Schlegel

OLB - 

CB - Milliner

CB - Wilson

CB - 

S - Calvin Pryor

S - Jamal Adams 😎

 

Offense:

QB - Hackenberg?

RB - Blair Thomas

FB - John Conner (because he was super hyped and didn't do much)

WR - ArDarius Stewart

WR - Devin Smith

WR - Stephen Hill

TE - Amaro

LT - 

LG - 

C - 

RG - 

RT - Vlad Ducasse

K - 

P -  

Clearly under 30.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As JN's unofficial "Curator of suck", this is a task for me:

 

QB's

  • QB1:  Christian Hackenberg
  • QB2:  Sam Darnold
  • QB3:  Browning Nagle

RB's

  • RB1:  Roger Vick
  • RB2:  Blair Thomas
  • RB3:  Anthony Davis

WR's

  • WR1:  Lam Jones
  • WR2:  Stephen Hill
  • WR3:  Alex Van Dyke
  • WR4:  Reggie Rembert
  • WR5:  Ryan Yarborough
  • WR6:  Devin Smith

TE's

  • TE1:  Kyle Brady
  • TE2:  Johnny Mitchell
  • TE3:  Jace Amaro
  • TE4:  Anthony Becht

OT's

  • LT1:  Doug Williams
  • RT1:  Chuma Edoga
  • T:  John Mooring
  • T:  Gordie Browne

G's

  • LG1:  David Loverne
  • RG1:  Eric Cunningham
  • LG2:  Mike Haight
  • G:  Jarvis Harrison

C's:  NONE (the one thing this franchise has done well in its history)

DE's/EDGE

  • DE/EDGE1:  Vernon Gholston
  • DE/EDGE2:  Ron Faurot
  • DE/EDGE3:  Jachai Polite
  • DE/EDGE4:  Quinton Coples
  • DE/EDGE5:  Dorian Boose

DT's

  • DT1:  Dewayne Robertson
  • DT2:  Rick Terry
  • DT3:  Ben Rudolph
  • DT4:  Nathan Shepherd
  • DT5:  Tank Marshall

OLB's

  • OLB1:  Darron Lee
  • OLB2:  Lorenzo Mauldin
  • OLB3:  Michael Taylor
  • OLB4:  Kurt Barber

MLB/ILB's

  • MLB/ILB1:  Victor Hobson
  • MLB/ILB2:  Anthony Schlegel
  • MLB/ILB3:  Joe Mott

CB's

  • CB1:  Kyle Wilson
  • CB2:  Dee Milliner
  • CB3:  Derrick Strait
  • CB4:  Justin Miller
  • CB5:  Dexter McDougle (@The Crusher  😢)

S's*

  • FS1:  Scott Frost
  • SS1:  Calvin Pryor
  • S:  Kevin Williams

K's

  • K1:  Mike Nugent

P's:  NONE

KR'/PR's

  • KR1/PR1:  Jo-Jo Townsell
  • PR2:  Dedric Ward

 

* NOTE:  If we were talking about worst draft picks, Jamal Adams would make this team.  But since this thread is about BUSTS, then Adams does not qualify

 

No love for Erik Ainge, 😂 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

We've done the all-time team, we've created the franken-quarterback, we've done top 10 bust lists. Let's do the all-time all bust team. If this has been done before I'm not sorry (just kidding, I am sorry, if it has been done please point me to that thread and shame me publicly).

Add your picks. Higher points for higher selections, and for calamitous draft circumstances, ie. trading two first round picks for DRob., passing on HOFers.

Who we got?

Defense first (because it's easier):

DE - Gholston

DT - DRob

DT 

DE - Polite

OLB - Darron Lee

MLB - Anthony Schlegel

OLB - 

CB - Milliner

CB - Wilson

CB - 

S - Calvin Pryor

S - Jamal Adams 😎

 

Offense:

QB - Hackenberg?

RB - Blair Thomas

FB - John Conner (because he was super hyped and didn't do much)

WR - ArDarius Stewart

WR - Devin Smith

WR - Stephen Hill

TE - Amaro

LT - 

LG - 

C - 

RG - 

RT - Vlad Ducasse

K - 

P -  

IMHO they cannot be a bust if they stayed in the NFL with another team. But many were just not worthy of being selected where they were. So maybe start another thread.

NYJETS JAGS.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Roger Vick, drafted a fb with a 1st round pick to try and block Andre tippet. :rl: 

Andre tippet singlehandedly destroyed Ken O’Briens career. I mean wwe style pile drivers into the Astro turf that literally shell shocked him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Calamity" is a very underused word.

In this instance, it's understated as well. There should be a word like "calamapocalageddon" to describe the Jets historical drafting "prowess."

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

IMHO they cannot be a bust if they stayed in the NFL with another team.

I don't see that being a worthwhile rule.  If you're drafting a guy high, especially in Rd 1, you're doing so hoping that he is a long-term starter for your team. 

And these are Jets draft busts we're talking about, not NFL busts.  So I don't think it matters much if they bounce around the league.  They failed here.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jgb said:

You need to untether your hatred for Zach from Darnold completely. I have pointed out the best solution to achieve your stated objective: trade Darnold for picks, bring in a cheap FA as punching bag, don't draft Zach. You are either being stubborn or you aren't being honest about your feelings for Sam.

What I'm saying is that Gase and Darnold were comfortable together and actually won games with a weak roster and a weak schedule, same thing that we're up against in 2021.

I don't see the point of going with a cheap FA quarterback when the objective is to a) get younger and b) get the young players to develop quickly.  Gase and Darnold would have been in Year 3 of the same playbook and integrate the young WR's and RB's smoothly.  Darnold was on his 4th year.  He was as cheap as a FA quarterback and he was already acclimated to our system.  Dump him and Gase together in 2022 or 2023, whenever the core of the roster was ready to make the jump.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't see that being a worthwhile rule.  If you're drafting a guy high, especially in Rd 1, you're doing so hoping that he is a long-term starter for your team. 

And these are Jets draft busts we're talking about, not NFL busts.  So I don't think it matters much if they bounce around the league.  They failed here.  

Well I did add the quantifier re: draft spot.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SAR I said:

What I'm saying is that Gase and Darnold were comfortable together and actually won games with a weak roster and a weak schedule, same thing that we're up against in 2021.

I don't see the point of going with a cheap FA quarterback when the objective is to a) get younger and b) get the young players to develop quickly.  Gase and Darnold would have been in Year 3 of the same playbook and integrate the young WR's and RB's smoothly.  Darnold was on his 4th year.  He was as cheap as a FA quarterback and he was already acclimated to our system.  Dump him and Gase together in 2022 or 2023, whenever the core of the roster was ready to make the jump.

SAR I

So give Darnold another chance and don’t bring on a potential successor knowing you’re going to dump him for no return at the end of the season. That might be the most awful idea I have ever heard and why I say only 99% of posters on here would make a better GM than Macc.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jgb said:

So give Darnold another chance and don’t bring on a potential successor knowing you’re going to dump him for no return at the end of the season. That might be the most awful idea I have ever heard and why I say only 99% of posters on here would make a better GM than Macc.

At some point the Jets have to stop thinking about years down the road and just focus on the year we're in.  Especially with a GM that doesn't do anything good with the draft capital he's supposedly collecting.  Screw future draft picks.  We need to develop the 1st and 2nd rounders already on our team.  What about them?

There is no point in drafting all this youth and putting them on a field with a rookie quarterback and rookie coaching staff.  We have no veteran leadership.  We have no veteran experience.  "Youngest team in the NFL" may sound good in principle but we are not doing anything to develop it properly.  Want to get rid of Gase?  Fine, bring in a veteran coaching staff.  Want to get rid of Darnold?  Fine, bring in a veteran quarterback.  We've made it exponentially harder on ourselves because we went too far.

SAR I

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

I didn't see him play, because I was born in 1984, but his stats make him look like a lethal weapon compared to the crew up there:

image.png.ec53ccbde567510554db5a9ba93206fc.png

He was the number 2 overall pick in the draft (just like Wilson). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2021 at 1:19 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

As JN's unofficial "Curator of suck", this is a task for me:

 

QB's

  • QB1:  Christian Hackenberg
  • QB2:  Sam Darnold
  • QB3:  Browning Nagle

RB's

  • RB1:  Roger Vick
  • RB2:  Blair Thomas
  • RB3:  Anthony Davis

WR's

  • WR1:  Lam Jones
  • WR2:  Stephen Hill
  • WR3:  Alex Van Dyke
  • WR4:  Reggie Rembert
  • WR5:  Ryan Yarborough
  • WR6:  Devin Smith

TE's

  • TE1:  Kyle Brady
  • TE2:  Johnny Mitchell
  • TE3:  Jace Amaro
  • TE4:  Anthony Becht

OT's

  • LT1:  Doug Williams
  • RT1:  Chuma Edoga
  • T:  John Mooring
  • T:  Gordie Browne

G's

  • LG1:  David Loverne
  • RG1:  Eric Cunningham
  • LG2:  Mike Haight
  • G:  Jarvis Harrison

C's:  NONE (the one thing this franchise has done well in its history)

DE's/EDGE

  • DE/EDGE1:  Vernon Gholston
  • DE/EDGE2:  Ron Faurot
  • DE/EDGE3:  Jachai Polite
  • DE/EDGE4:  Quinton Coples
  • DE/EDGE5:  Dorian Boose

DT's

  • DT1:  Dewayne Robertson
  • DT2:  Rick Terry
  • DT3:  Ben Rudolph
  • DT4:  Nathan Shepherd
  • DT5:  Tank Marshall

OLB's

  • OLB1:  Darron Lee
  • OLB2:  Lorenzo Mauldin
  • OLB3:  Michael Taylor
  • OLB4:  Kurt Barber

MLB/ILB's

  • MLB/ILB1:  Victor Hobson
  • MLB/ILB2:  Anthony Schlegel
  • MLB/ILB3:  Joe Mott

CB's

  • CB1:  Kyle Wilson
  • CB2:  Dee Milliner
  • CB3:  Derrick Strait
  • CB4:  Justin Miller
  • CB5:  Dexter McDougle (@The Crusher  😢)

S's*

  • FS1:  Scott Frost
  • SS1:  Calvin Pryor
  • S:  Kevin Williams

K's

  • K1:  Mike Nugent

P's:  NONE

KR'/PR's

  • KR1/PR1:  Jo-Jo Townsell
  • PR2:  Dedric Ward

 

* NOTE:  If we were talking about worst draft picks, Jamal Adams would make this team.  But since this thread is about BUSTS, then Adams does not qualify

 

You need to add Coleman Rudolph to the impressively deep DE bust rotation.

Also, lets not forget Ralph Clayton.... Who? Ralph Clayton - the second of the 2 WRs the Jets took in the first round in 1980 (Lam Jones was the other). Ugh!

Finally, how in the world can the DT group be complete without the 6th overall pick in 1974 ..... Carl Barzilauskas?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2021 at 3:07 PM, #27TheDominator said:

The worse thing about Rembert wasn't his play or his holdout.  It was that his sh*t forced the Jets to snag Rob Moore in the supplemental draft.  That in turn probably cost them Favre.  They had Wolf back then and found some real gems, like Terrance Mathis, Jeff Blake and Tony Martin.   Joe Kelly wasn't bad.  He was a starter and they were very much in need of LBs that year.  I think he was a top 10 overall.  

Thanks for the reminder on Joe Kelly, I forgot he actually contributed and I totally missed the significance of us taking Rob Moore and how that impacted the draft in 91 and the Favre situation. How different things could’ve been 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...