Kerry Rhodes speaks

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I kind of felt like he was talking directly to you.  He remembers your creepy ass from camp when you followed him around and reported on how he lacked passion tying his shoe.

You mean my incisive reporting that Rex hated Kerry Rhodes and Lito Sheppard? 

Rhodes’s interception of Mark Sanchez in the first quarter of a Jets-Cardinals game in 2012 was the moment when I decided I was completely done with Sanchez.  Mark just threw it up for grabs in the middle of the field from near his own goal line, and Rhodes happily accepted the easy “revenge INT”.

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Much as I loved Rex his biggest blind spot was his love for hard hitting, old school players. It's why the NFL has pretty much passed him by. He was building a team for the early 90's as the game moved more towards passing.

Rhodes was a brilliant coverage safety and our defence was worse without him. Even what he calls a subpar season really wasn't, we lead the league in pass defence but fans had it in for him because he missed a few tackles. He was a perfect player for the modern NFL, basically the anti-Jamal. 

I’m putting this post in my Christmas letter this year. 

20 hours ago, y2k8 said:

He's not wrong. Also was smart to say "the last 18 years" as to avoid disrespecting Victor Green.

That all being said, Erik McMillan had the best 2 1/2 seasons I've ever seen a Jets Safety have in all my years watching this team. His rookie year he had 8 interceptions in 13 games. Has anyone on the Jets even had 1 INT this season?

Yea but Jamal has had the ball bounce off his head at least 8 times in his career. Top that!

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Lot of love for Kerry in this thread!  I remember us being pretty down on him (as he says).  My memory of him was that he was a good ball hawk and not much else, and when we got Revis that’s where everyone (rightfully) turned their adoring eyes. 

He was way way more than that. And when asked to blitz like Jamal he was at least as effective as Jamal, but Kerry was well rounded and dynamic. Rex didn't like him because of his "hollywood" attitude (Jamals is 10X worse) and likely his orientation. He was a great player.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, johnnysd said:

He's right and I still think he was sort of pushed out of the league because of his orientation.  Also Rex hated him which was just idiotic. He was 10X the player that Jamaloser is.

Best as I understood it.  Rex didn't hate KR, but they wound up in a beef.  Rex had Jim Leonhard running the secondary and making all the coverage calls.  KR wanted that leadership role and Rex wanted Jim in that role.

As for Eric McMillen.  Coslet has a beef with him because he felt EM freelanced rather than act as a cog in the machine.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Best as I understood it.  Rex didn't hate KR, but they wound up in a beef.  Rex had Jim Leonhard running the secondary and making all the coverage calls.  KR wanted that leadership role and Rex wanted Jim in that role.

As for Eric McMillen.  Coslet has a beef with him because he felt EM freelanced rather than act as a cog in the machine.  

A year after the trade, Ryan unloaded on Rhodes in his book, "Play Like You Mean It," delivering perhaps the harshest criticism of any player or coach in his three-plus seasons as the Jets' coach.

"He was a selfish-ass guy," he wrote. "He wouldn't work, and he was a Hollywood type, flashy and needing attention. I don't mind flashy, but your work ethic had better back it up. He was a talented SOB, that's for sure, but he wasn't one of us."

36 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

A year after the trade, Ryan unloaded on Rhodes in his book, "Play Like You Mean It," delivering perhaps the harshest criticism of any player or coach in his three-plus seasons as the Jets' coach.

"He was a selfish-ass guy," he wrote. "He wouldn't work, and he was a Hollywood type, flashy and needing attention. I don't mind flashy, but your work ethic had better back it up. He was a talented SOB, that's for sure, but he wasn't one of us."

"Wasn't one of us" That is pretty diffuse...  Could mean a lot of things.  As far as work ethic, who would worry about the "hustle" a guy/gal was showing if they were doing a great job 

11 hours ago, MykePM said:

Rhodes’s interception of Mark Sanchez in the first quarter of a Jets-Cardinals game in 2012 was the moment when I decided I was completely done with Sanchez.  Mark just threw it up for grabs in the middle of the field from near his own goal line, and Rhodes happily accepted the easy “revenge INT”.

Like that time Sam Darnold gifted that interception to Jamal Adams for revenge. Except Jamal didn’t accept it. He good like that. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

This was fair criticism from Rex, but the problem is Rex never backed it up by getting another good safety in here.  Eric Smith was too limited, his inability to tackle Victor Cruz got the ball rolling in ruining the 2011 season, I don't care how smart the guy was he was too slow to be in there.  Brodney Poole was ok nothing special either.  Then he drafted guys like Antonio Allen, Josh Bush, Calvin Pryor, all guys who never really panned out.