Report: Deshaun Watson to Miami trade in the works

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The question is whether Watson would be allowed to play this year with the legal issues hanging over his head. 

This was my next post. I'd imagine the Dolphins would need clarification from the league on this before giving away a f*ckton of draft picks

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Miami may not be that good, but Watson is infinitely better than Tua. That is not a good thing, long term, for the Jets. 

I agree in theory, but in practice I think it depends on what the blowback will be from the league letting Watson play, what kind of distraction that will become, and what they have to give up to get him. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The QB isn't really the problem in Miami. 

Their roster isn't as good as they think it is and the coach is overrated and is getting exposed. 

True on both counts, but they have to realize that Tua is at best a game manager, and unless you have a loaded roster, a game manager in today’s nfl leaves you competing perpetually for a wild card berth.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

This was my next post. I'd imagine the Dolphins would need clarification from the league on this before giving away a f*ckton of draft picks

Correct. Although the Dolphins are 1-5 so I assume any trade they make is with the future in mind. Watson is good, but with zero practice he isn't going to win them enough games to make the playoffs this year anyway.  

• Upvote 1

Watson won 4 games last season on a crappy Texans team.

If Miami gives up three first round picks that'll set them back years. Fins will be in the same situation as Watson was in with the Texans. Super expensive QB contract, no high draft picks and going nowhere.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

If Miami gives up three first round picks that'll set them back years. Fins will be in the same situation as Watson was in with the Texans. Super expensive QB contract, no high draft picks and going nowhere.

Watson is a special talent, and with even decent roster management and coaching, should be in the playoffs most years. 

My question about Watson pertains to his long term viability as an NFL player given all of his legal troubles. There is still a lot up in the air. 

1 minute ago, Big_Slick said:

Texans want to get rid of him ASAP, huge contract, huge headache.  It's a buyer's market and I think one first round pick and one other medium pick gets it done.  Doubt there are many suitors with all the complications plus Watson has some control in dictating where he goes as he could cause headaches for other teams by saying he doesn't want to play for them.   Miami is on his short list.  IMO, this is happening. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don't necessarily buy into Tua, but I think it's interesting how little time he has gotten in comparison to guys like Darnold and Trubisky. I get that he has major durability concerns, but he has like (13?) career starts. That's not even a full NFL season. People still argue over Sam's potential on this board and he's started 44 games. 

Tua is the same guy who couldn’t really beat out fitzy last year either.  They must see the limitations just as we do.  At least with guys like darnold, you see a bigger guy with a bigger arm.  At least i give miami credit for not wanting to waste time watching him be below average.  Maybe that pick at the key moment of the jags game was the turning point.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I thought he was on the commisioner's 'exempt' list, meaning he can't play. For anyone.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Tua is the same guy who couldn’t really beat out fitzy last year either.  They must see the limitations just as we do.  At least with guys like darnold, you see a bigger guy with a bigger arm.  At least i give miami credit for not wanting to waste time watching him be below average.  Maybe that pick at the key moment of the jags game was the turning point.

Fair - I'm not going to die on the Tua hill. I just think it's interesting how different organizations deal with their young QBs and what the perception of these guys is around the league. 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I thought he was on the commisioner's 'exempt' list, meaning he can't play. For anyone.

I would be asking for information pertaining to beyond this season. If he is eventually convicted of something but avoids jail time, can the NFL tack stuff on? etc. The Watson situation is still very poorly defined. 

• Upvote 1

happy to have Miami give up their future picks and cap money to a guy who likely won't play this year, will be out of practice and has other issues. this will also make the players in the locker room start taking sides, whether they keep or trade Tua; and without the picks and the cap space, not sure how good they will be.

Either way, doubt they will become the dynasty that the Pats had, so we just need to get better and not worry about the other teams until we play them.

• Sympathy 1