Report: Deshaun Watson to Miami trade in the works

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Watson is a special talent, and with even decent roster management and coaching, should be in the playoffs most years. 

My question about Watson pertains to his long term viability as an NFL player given all of his legal troubles. There is still a lot up in the air. 

Watson does possess special FQB talent but even the best FQB's need a team to support them. I don't see Miami having the GM/CS to build a legit SB contender before Watson's contract is up and for sure he won't resign with Miami.

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

happy to have Miami give up their future picks and cap money to a guy who likely won't play this year, will be out of practice and has other issues. this will also make the players in the locker room start taking sides, whether they keep or trade Tua; and without the picks and the cap space, not sure how good they will be.

Either way, doubt they will become the dynasty that the Pats had, so we just need to get better and not worry about the other teams until we play them.

If you can get some kind of guarantee that he will eventually be able to play again beyond this year, a good argument can be made that it's worth it. Watson is that good. 

The problem I would have is - Say he has a big legal/civil ruling against him, how do I know he's not getting suspended for the 2022 season or beyond? I would need some sort of quiet handshake with the league office to give up multiple first round picks for Watson right now. 

8 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Texans want to get rid of him ASAP, huge contract, huge headache.  It's a buyer's market and I think one first round pick and one other medium pick gets it done.  Doubt there are many suitors with all the complications plus Watson has some control in dictating where he goes as he could cause headaches for other teams by saying he doesn't want to play for them.   Miami is on his short list.  IMO, this is happening. 

The Texans won't give Watson away for only one first rounder and a throw away 4th. I hope.

If Miami does pull off this trade the Jets need for them to pay big time with future 1st round picks otherwise the Fin's will own the Jets.

10 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Watson does possess special FQB talent but even the best FQB's need a team to support them. I don't see Miami having the GM/CS to build a legit SB contender before Watson's contract is up and for sure he won't resign with Miami.

But wasn't Miami on his short list? Why would he leave Miami? If he gets traded there and doesn't like Flores/Grier, the owner would blow that thing up before letting Watson go. 

Supposedly, the stumbling block is that Watson will nix the deal unless Christian Hackenberg comes out of retirement to back him up in Miami.   I guess Watson read the board this morning and feels that the "Penn State Popgun" never got a proper shot with the Jets.  Sees it as good karma against his allegations.

42 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The hypocrisy of the league and country for that matter holds no bounds...

#Metoo

I must say, even still, knowing what I know, that this guy will actually be traded while being accused of being a serial sexual assault..That an NFL franchise is willing to give up assets to acquire him is just insane to me.

Maybe it'll come out that the 20+ women are lying and the Dolphins know this...at that point I will apologize...but for now this sickens me. 

Used to feel this way until I seen how the league handled Big Ben. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

When this happens I look forward to seeing all the TV talking heads who crucified Gruden completely overlooking all the sh*t Watson is accused of and making excuses for him. Gonna be some fun hypocrisy on the way!

In the case of Gruden, the league had documented evidence of actionable HR violation issues, and Gruden himself chose to quit.  If he didn't, his owner would have fired him, not the NFL.

In the Watson case, there are currently only accusations.  No  criminal case.  No finding as yet in a civil case.  i.e. there is nothing actionable, yet.  

There is literally nothing similar about these two cases.  

• Upvote 3

They have not one, but two bad offensive coordinators. I’m not impressed with Flores and for those of you who don’t think Joe Douglas is good at drafting (I’m not one of those people), then what Grier has wasted with his draft picks would have given you diarrhea. Watson’s a huge upgrade from Tua, but if he can’t win with DeAndre Hopkins and a decent Oline, then he will not be as big a threat as some make it out to be with the Fins minus a bunch of high draft picks.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The hypocrisy of the league and country for that matter holds no bounds...

#Metoo

I must say, even still, knowing what I know, that this guy will actually be traded while being accused of being a serial sexual assault..That an NFL franchise is willing to give up assets to acquire him is just insane to me.

Maybe it'll come out that the 20+ women are lying and the Dolphins know this...at that point I will apologize...but for now this sickens me. 

100% this.

Let’s be real here, Watson sexually assaulted a lot of women. Unless this is some crazy next level conspiracy which I very much doubt, it happened.

Gruden was crucified (and rightly so) for making offensive remarks in a private email, which while completely unacceptable is not even in the same stratosphere as what Watson has done.

The idea this is just go away and Watson is going to trot out there for the Dolphins in a few weeks is insane to me.

• Upvote 3

Very very predictable.  A few of us have been saying this for a while now, dolphins are desperate.  They are supposed to be doing something this year and they are awful.

I love this as a jets fan even though i have always thought watson was really good.  Miami is going to trade away all of their future for a guy that can easily be not playing for a while.  (though the logical thing is to pay a bunch of hush money to make this all go away as is the norm these days.)

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In the case of Gruden, the league had documented evidence of actionable HR violation issues, and Gruden himself chose to quit.  If he didn't, his owner would have fired him, not the NFL.

In the Watson case, there are currently only accusations.  No  criminal case.  No finding as yet in a civil case.  i.e. there is nothing actionable, yet.  

There is literally nothing similar about these two cases.  

Yes, of course not - which is why I thought it was being handled properly.  He's not playing but he's still on the team.

The moment a team gives up assets for him is when it becomes problematic to me.  Sure there is nothing actionable but there's almost certainly something ugly there.

A team trading for him is essentially saying - we don't care that he's continually assaulted women - we want him anyway.

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is literally nothing similar about these two cases

Yeah no. 

Theres quite a bit similar about how the two cases are being handled by both the NFL and the corporate media.

There were no actionable HR issues as you stated. Gruden sent those emails while he was not employed by the NFL or the Raiders. Gruden also only quit because it was essentially a hostage situation, basically "quit or we further tarnish your reputation". If this wasnt the NFL, he would easily win a lawsuit against his employer. Corporate media also immediately turned on the man disregarding the real story of the exploitation of the WFT cheerleaders. 

With Deshaun, while they are currently accusations of misconduct, he was employed by the Texans and the NFL at the time they supposedly occurred. Deshaun has seen zero action from the NFL, and from the NFLs own track record on punishment for these types of things, its extremely curious as to why he hasnt been punished yet (case in point Ezekiel Elliot). Corporate media blows him at every turn, and after the trade will sing his praises. 

Make no mistake. What Deshaun most likely did was infinitely worse than what Gruden did and it's not even remotely close. 

Gruden - Said some bad words in a private email  = Loses career/reputation.

Watson - Assaulted women = nothing. 

In both instances the NFL proves they dont give a sh*t about women. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

59 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But wasn't Miami on his short list? Why would he leave Miami? If he gets traded there and doesn't like Flores/Grier, the owner would blow that thing up before letting Watson go.

Yes, Miami was/is on the short list. I just think it's just the 1st step for Watson and once he sees that the Dolphins don't have cap space (his salary) or draft picks he'll try to shoot his way out to a contending team that only needs a QB.

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Yeah no. 

Theres quite a bit similar about how the two cases are being handled by both the NFL and the corporate media.

There were no actionable HR issues as you stated. Gruden sent those emails while he was not employed by the NFL or the Raiders. Gruden also only quit because it was essentially a hostage situation, basically "quit or we further tarnish your reputation". If this wasnt the NFL, he would easily win a lawsuit against his employer. Corporate media also immediately turned on the man disregarding the real story of the exploitation of the WFT cheerleaders. 

With Deshaun, while they are currently accusations of misconduct, he was employed by the Texans and the NFL at the time they supposedly occurred. Deshaun has seen zero action from the NFL, and from the NFLs own track record on punishment for these types of things, its extremely curious as to why he hasnt been punished yet (case in point Ezekiel Elliot). Corporate media blows him at every turn, and after the trade will sing his praises. 

Make no mistake. What Deshaun most likely did was infinitely worse than what Gruden did and it's not even remotely close. 

Gruden - Said some bad words in a private email  = Loses career/reputation.

Watson - Assaulted women = nothing. 

In both instances the NFL proves they dont give a sh*t about women. 

The NFL really needs to get a grip on this whole Watson situation.  It's getting out of hand.

But yeah, he's got a no trade clause, so if it were Miami, I wonder if he'd come.  That would be an awful stroke of luck for the Jets.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

First of all, I'm not defending Gruden, the guy is a tool. This is about the way certain superstar players get a free pass on the heinous stuff they're accused of or found guilty of while others are cast aside and left to rot.

Adrian Peterson literally beats the sh*t out of his child? All is forgiven, just tell everyone you'll get some therapy.

Michael Vick runs a dog fighting ring? Gets sent to jail, then gets welcomed back to a new team upon his release. Now has a nice job in TV.

Gruden sends some offensive emails? Hundreds of self righteous TV people saying "he can never work in the NFL in any capacity ever again".

They're hypocrites pure and simple. Rich Eisen condemning Gruden on his show, and will most certainly cream himself over Watson's next great performance after he's paid off the women he's assaulted.

I'm not defending the unequal justice meted out within the U.S. system and by U.S. society.  My posting history on the various men your reference proves that 1000 times over.

But that does not make what Gruden did ok, nor is the fact that others got off easy and he didn't some justification that he, Gruden, was wronged.  He got exactly what he deserved.

In the Watson case, the NFL simply has nothing actionable yet.  Accusations are not enough to lose ones job, generally.  It might be enough to make you quit that job, or them to pressure you to quit, but a civil lawsuit, no matter how vile, that has yet to be heard simply isn't enough to stop Watson playing.  Rightfully so, the accused has a presumption of innocence, no matter what you or I think (and I happen to think he did it).

I also don't think selective forgiveness by society is as problematic as you.  People can change, and societies priorities and norms change, and people should have the ability to restore themselves via their actions and behaviors over time.  I may never forgive Vick, but society (and the NFL) has the right to do so.  Society, ultimately, decides what is or isn't forgivable or how long that forgiveness takes.  

This was my next post. I'd imagine the Dolphins would need clarification from the league on this before giving away a f*ckton of draft picks
How high can the price actually be? I'd imagine that there aren't many buyers left and the Texans clearly have no future with Watson I'm sure they will get a first for him but honestly I'd be shocked if they got more than what we got for Jamal Adams. If they do ship out a bunch of picks they would have to be dependant on playing time or legal ability to play.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app