Trade idea.......would you ?

Feels to me like one of JD's goals in life is to set up the Jets as an NFL farm system where he can groom talent and sell it to the highest bidder for more draft picks to acquire more raw talent.  At some point you have to pay some money out to stabilize your organization...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Picks or offense

Pretty much where I am at.  If we are going to give up a piece in trade, let it be for someone that can help Wilson develop.  Ideally a TE or RG.  Come to think of it, I am not sure how excited I would be about giving up Maye for a day 3 pick.  Unless someone overpays, I think I would rather just see Maye play out the season to try to help the young guys in the secondary develop.

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Feels to me like one of JD's goals in life is to set up the Jets as an NFL farm system where he can groom talent and sell it to the highest bidder for more draft picks to acquire more raw talent.  At some point you have to pay some money out to stabilize your organization...

pretty much

When is the point we start retaining talent? 

trade one safety who has to get payed at the end of the season for another? might as well keep Maye then.

this season isnt about wins. keeping Maye or making this push of a trade gets us how many wins? one maybe 2. i rather see what Ashton and Sherwood do playing everyday.

i give this team a pass on this season. but make no mistake i expect 8-9 wins by next season and the playoffs for years to come or i will have a very different attitude towards JD and Saleh.

but this year i rather try to identify who are players for us moving forward. and not waste snaps on guys who wont be here next year.

and BTW eggplant is really good. you got Eggplant Parm...Eggplant rollatini. fry small strips of Eggplant on top of baked macaroni..... maybe its an Italian thing.

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Pretty much where I am at.  If we are going to give up a piece in trade, let it be for someone that can help Wilson develop.  Ideally a TE or RG.  Come to think of it, I am not sure how excited I would be about giving up Maye for a day 3 pick.  Unless someone overpays, I think I would rather just see Maye play out the season to try to help the young guys in the secondary develop.

I amended my thread and put Engram in for Peppers. Think the Giants would definitely move him.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

i agree ...but not a safety.

if Adams got 72 mil Maye will probably want around 60 mil. 

and no way am i paying a Safety that.

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

Pretty sure JD offered less per year than the $10M he’s making this year. I really don’t see Maye making much more than that. He’s a good or better safety. That’s not worth eight figures unless he also really hypes himself aggressively at every opportunity. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

Based on what?  I'm trying to figure out where this whole "safeties aren't worth the money" train of thought comes from.  Safeties will earn whatever the market will bear, just like any other position.  If Maye's market value is $60 million and other teams will pay that, then I need  to understand JD's logic to let him walk so he can sit on a bunch of cap space and keep drafting cheap safeties that aren't as good.

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Based on what?  I'm trying to figure out where this whole "safeties aren't worth the money" train of thought comes from.  Safeties will earn whatever the market will bear, just like any other position.  If Maye's market value is $60 million and other teams will pay that, then I need  to understand JD's logic to let him walk so he can sit on a bunch of cap space and keep drafting cheap safeties that aren't as good.

It comes from the same train of thought that says you don't spend big money on RBs. You try to reserve that type of money for CBs, edge rushers, OL, QB, WR. That doesn't mean you CANNOT spend money on a safety, it's just not an ideal use of resources especially when that safety will be 29 next year and isn't exactly a game changer.  

If we were all set at other positions and had the cap space, then sure. But our defense didn't have Maye for a couple of weeks and it wasn't all that much different without him.