Trade idea.......would you ?

28 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Based on what?  I'm trying to figure out where this whole "safeties aren't worth the money" train of thought comes from.  Safeties will earn whatever the market will bear, just like any other position.  If Maye's market value is $60 million and other teams will pay that, then I need  to understand JD's logic to let him walk so he can sit on a bunch of cap space and keep drafting cheap safeties that aren't as good.

The franchise tag number for a safety this year is $10.6M, estimated to go up to $13.5M next year, the lowest paid position on defense. That’s based on the top five salaries at the position. Is Maye a top five safety in the NFL? Because $60M over four years is more than that. Personally, I don’t think you pay a safety that kinda money unless he’s the ball-hawking type who’s getting you a ton of PDs and a handful of ints every year. Maye’s a good player, but he’s not that player. Just like Jamal Adams isn’t worth $72M, whether Seattle paid him that much or not. 

QB, Edge, WR, LT… those are the big money positions, and JD hasn’t hesitated to spend money and/or high picks at those spots. That’s one of the main reasons I continue to like the guy, because he seems to have a fundamental grasp of roster building. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Based on what?  I'm trying to figure out where this whole "safeties aren't worth the money" train of thought comes from.  Safeties will earn whatever the market will bear, just like any other position.  If Maye's market value is $60 million and other teams will pay that, then I need  to understand JD's logic to let him walk so he can sit on a bunch of cap space and keep drafting cheap safeties that aren't as good.

was Jamal Adams worth 72 mil? 

this is a list from jan 2021. now i believe Adams makes more now but its good enough to get my point across.

NFL's highest paid safeties (average salary per year):

• 1. Seahawks safety Jamal Adams: $17.5 million
  • 2. Vikings safety Harrison Smith: $16 million
  • 3. Broncos safety Justin Simmons: $15.25 million
  • 4. Cardinals safety Budda Baker: $14.75 million
  • 5. Bears safety Eddie Jackson: $14.6 million
  • 6. Titans safety Kevin Byard: $14.1 million
  • 7. Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu: $14 million
  • 8. Washington safety Landon Collins: $14 million
  • 9. Patriots safety Devin McCourty: $11.5 million
  • 10. Browns safety John Johnson: $11.25 million

out of these top 10 safeties only KC is in the playoffs every year. Arizona has started out great this year but haven't made the playoffs in a while. and the Pats without Brady arent the same team.

point is the best teams in the league dont tie up huge money in Safeties. and i think we already now that Maye sounds like a mini Jamal and is going to ask for big money.

does Maye impact the game> does he make a big INT for us? or a big stop? 

and JD tried to sign him but he refused that's why they gave him the tag. to give more time to negotiate. 

and hes making 10.6 mil a year now.

do you know how much cap space we have? 8. mil. and a team needs around that much for emergencies. he is not sitting on cap space. who do you think he is Idzik? 

38 minutes ago, slats said:

The franchise tag number for a safety this year is $10.6M, estimated to go up to $13.5M next year, the lowest paid position on defense. That’s based on the top five salaries at the position. Is Maye a top five safety in the NFL? Because $60M over four years is more than that. Personally, I don’t think you pay a safety that kinda money unless he’s the ball-hawking type who’s getting you a ton of PDs and a handful of ints every year. Maye’s a good player, but he’s not that player. Just like Jamal Adams isn’t worth $72M, whether Seattle paid him that much or not. 

QB, Edge, WR, LT… those are the big money positions, and JD hasn’t hesitated to spend money and/or high picks at those spots. That’s one of the main reasons I continue to like the guy, because he seems to have a fundamental grasp of roster building. 

great post and good point on next years Franchise tag number.

he doesnt want to be tagged again which is proof he thinks hes worth more than 13.5 mil. 

i also like how JD is building this team. he doesn't spend like a drucken sailor. now he just has to hit on these drafts.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, slats said:

Don't misread what I'm saying.  No argument safety is not a high money position vs other spots. But what I'm seeing is a level of frugality which is a bit counterproductive IMO.  If you keep stockpiling cheap draft picks and letting your talent walk, you only move forward if you're nailing all your picks.  Given Maye's age and value,  I would think JD could structure a fair deal that keeps him here until he needs to start spending big money on Becton, AVT, Zach, Q, etc. Why not  spend the money now to keep the team competitive  vs. letting your talent walk for comp picks and stockpiling cap room?

4 hours ago, doitny said:

great post and good point on next years Franchise tag number.

he doesnt want to be tagged again which is proof he thinks hes worth more than 13.5 mil. 

i also like how JD is building this team. he doesn't spend like a drucken sailor. now he just has to hit on these drafts.

So we knew the Jets were rebuilding.  Maye’s contract was up.  There were other FA safeties available.  JD drafted Ashtyn Davis last year.  He signed Joyner.  

JD could not come to an agreement with Maye.  Maye was not the missing piece for a playoff team.  At that point you let Maye walk and sign 2 other safeties for a less total.  You don’t franchise him, waste $10mm and get Maye and the other players mad at you.  It was just spite and control. 

for a guy who does not overpay, he overpaid here 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

So we knew the Jets were rebuilding.  Maye’s contract was up.  There were other FA safeties available.  JD drafted Ashtyn Davis last year.  He signed Joyner.  

JD could not come to an agreement with Maye.  Maye was not the missing piece for a playoff team.  At that point you let Maye walk and sign 2 other safeties for a less total.  You don’t franchise him, waste $10mm and get Maye and the other players mad at you.  It was just spite and control. 

for a guy who does not overpay, he overpaid here 

i think the plan was for Maye and Joyner to start and the Davis would come in later on after his injury. then trade Maye for whatever you can get.

i think Maye was here only to bring up his value then get traded. maybe thought if Maye played well he could get a #1 for him.

so paying 10 mil for one year and getting a nice draft pick back is better then getting nothing. his injuey mess that up.

6 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I would think JD could structure a fair deal that keeps him here until he needs to start spending big money on Becton, AVT, Zach, Q, etc. Why not  spend the money now to keep the team competitive  vs. letting your talent walk for comp picks and stockpiling cap room?

QW sign a 4 yr deal. we probably sign his extension this offseason instead of letting him play it out and test the FA market.

19 hours ago, doitny said:

.and BTW eggplant is really good. you got Eggplant Parm...Eggplant rollatini. fry small strips of Eggplant on top of baked macaroni..... maybe its an Italian thing.

YUCKKKKKK!!!!!! Enough with this gross mention of this. Somethings weren’t meant to come together, like New York Jets & Jamal Adams. Egg and plant …….GROSS

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Isn't he talking about Evan Engram, the TE?

21 minutes ago, section314 said:

No, Giant TE, Evan Engram.

Sorry guys, i'm guessing they spell them differently.

So to re-answer that question, I have watched 0, again that's 0 Giants games, so I don't think I would be the correct person to answer that question. I know we need TE help, so if Engram is better than what we got, then I probably would say YES... lol

• Upvote 2