LaFleur said that he "looked at himself hard" while trying to figure out why it's not working

There are about 21 total plays per quarter on average (I think?). half of those go to the other team, which means that LaFleur is scripting the WHOLE FIRST HALF. 'Not working' means 'Non-scripted is better than scripted', so how about mixing things up? The first half has been by far the worst half for the jets this whole season (2.6 pts/1st half to 10.2 pts/ 2nd half), so I don't see any reason to continue scripting that many plays

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

24 seems very excessive.  I actually do not like any scripted plays though that seems to be a norm.

For a young team like the Jets, it can be a positive. They obviously script the plays so that the players know what is coming, and have a chance to work on them in practice.

Just because they are scripted, does not mean that they HAVE follow that strict order, and it is unreasonable to expect that.

But something isn’t working. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Per JetsXFactor analysis, the Jets are running on 70% of the plays in the 1st quarter.

I understand LaFleur’s scheme is based on establishing the run. However, if you run the ball 70% of the time and don’t establish the run, then the defense is just going to focus on containing ZW and that is not going to help his development.

Also, although the Oline’s pass pro has improved, its run blocking still seems weak. I’m not sure the Jets even have the personnel to establish the run game. Maybe that will change when Becton returns.

Right now the Jets telegraph to other teams that we are going to run the ball and when that doesn’t work, we’ll pass more. Hopefully, LaFleur mixes it up to keep defenses off balance. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

so much is dependent on wilson making the right throw.  the receivers are getting open.  wilson needs to deliver the ball on time and accurately. the other factor is the poor run game they've put together so far.  get the run game to average 4+ypc and the pass game will look that much better and so will lafleur.  even sh*tty knew that.

Well if he is scripting 24 plays that might explain why we are only successful in the 2nd half. Even to a casual fan the answer is so obvious. Spread the WR out and let Zach attack the edges opening up the running game and middle of the field. Recognize that your TEs SUCK so 12 and 22 personnel should never be used for this team. Be in 10 and 11 personnel 80% of the time, do no huddle and morph 11 into 20.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

Per JetsXFactor analysis, the Jets are running on 70% of the plays in the 1st quarter.

I understand LaFleur’s scheme is based on establishing the run. However, if you run the ball 70% of the time and don’t establish the run, then the defense is just going to focus on containing ZW and that is not going to help his development.

Also, although the Oline’s pass pro has improved, its run blocking still seems weak. I’m not sure the Jets even have the personnel to establish the run game. Maybe that will change when Becton returns.

Right now the Jets telegraph to other teams that we are going to run the ball and when that doesn’t work, we’ll pass more. Hopefully, LaFleur mixes it up to keep defenses off balance. 

I have said this before but Bill Polian has stated that even in a "establish the run offense" that "balance" means you are 60/40 pass on first downs. You cannot establish the run against a stacked box unless you have an elite RB and elite OL neither of which the Jets actually have.

27 minutes ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

If you’re running 70% of the plays and scoring zero points, that should make looking at himself hard much easier.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, rangerous said:

so much is dependent on wilson making the right throw.  the receivers are getting open.  wilson needs to deliver the ball on time and accurately. the other factor is the poor run game they've put together so far.  get the run game to average 4+ypc and the pass game will look that much better and so will lafleur.  even sh*tty knew that.

I do think this idea that WR's are open and ZW isn't seeing them is misleading.  Yes, ZW has missed guys for sure, but there are more times than not when no ones is open or he's under pressure before the play can develop. 

With that said, there is enough of a window to move the ball through the air if ZW was playing better (both accuracy and vision) but the receivers need to catch the ball and the OL needs to protect better and get some type of push in the running game.

IMO, you might be able to question ML for the team not playing well or being unprepared.  

But I really don't think it's his scheme or play calling.  The team isn't executing on any level in the offense.  It's not the play calling, it's the players.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I have said this before but Bill Polian has stated that even in a "establish the run offense" that "balance" means you are 60/40 pass on first downs. You cannot establish the run against a stacked box unless you have an elite RB and elite OL neither of which the Jets actually have.

Bill Polian also said Lamar Jackson is a wide receiver. 

57 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

24 seems very excessive.  I actually do not like any scripted plays though that seems to be a norm.

you have to script plays, it all has a purpose.  Generally the script has a few plays you think can hit if they come out defensively how you expect them too, but then the rest are motions and formations to see what kind of look you will get.  Its actually pretty important for the offense early in the game to give the OC footing as a play caller. 

48 minutes ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

The reality is that he just needs to call more plays that work. Pretty simple. If it's a running or a pass play, the plays need to be designed and executed well. 

And if your young QB is more of a big play QB, at least as a rookie, then design more big play schemes so at least when a play works, it makes a difference in the game. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The reality is that he just needs to call more plays that work. Pretty simple. If it's a running or a pass play, the plays need to be designed and executed well. 

And if your young QB is more of a big play QB, at least as a rookie, then design more big play schemes so at least when a play works, it makes a difference in the game. 

So just call the good plays and not the bad ones? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

That’s way too many. In the first 5 games After 6 -9 plays they’re consistently down 2 scores. They need to score points, period. Obsessing over scripted plays is ridiculous. Script 10-12 plays and try and attack. 19 of the scripts are runs based on the play calling so maybe try throwing the ball on first down without an empty backfield.