Jump to content

Is Gesicki Going to Shake Loose from Miami?


David Harris
 Share

Recommended Posts

Five Things I Think I Think About the Miami Dolphins - Week 7 2021 - The Phinsider

 

Gesicki needs to be resigned

Anyone who’s read anything I’ve written since we drafted Mike Gesicki knows I’m so far on the Mike G train that I have the little conductor hat and everything. I’m as biased as they come and I don’t care that you care. That being said, each week he seems like the only guy out there consistently trying his hardest. He catches whatever’s thrown his way, fights for first downs, and (whether or not you agree with his timing based on the score) tries to fire the team up. I’m going to quote frequent Phinsider commenter Francesco, who I think will admit to not being a big Gesicki fan when he was first on the team. He said: “The only player who have character in the offense is Gesicki ... Thats why they dont want him.” And Fran, you couldn’t be more right.

 

We blew our wad resigning Jerome Baker just for him to be sucked into the void of regression instead of giving that money to Gesicki. All is not lost, however. We aren’t poor. We aren’t Seong Gi-hun. Gesicki will be a free agent next year and the Fins are projected to have ~$79 million in cap space to work with. His Spotrac Market Value is $10.5m per year. With how he’s been underutilized in Miami, I doubt he gives any sort of hometown discount if he hits the market. If I’m the GM (Grier or otherwise), I work to sign him now with a fair deal structured with some incentives. Or pay him $79m, IDGAF.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

Rumor is the Saints want him bad....

The Saints can't afford a water boy let alone an actual rostered player right now.  They have the worst cap situation in the league this year and next.  And they may need to think about paying Winston next year which means big cuts almost have to be coming.

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not know how they are against the cap but if they have to pay for Watson, there will be a better chance that they cant resign him.

But if your alluding he might wind up on the jets, that aint happening.  The Jets will be using one of their many high draft picks on a tight end.  There is no reason to make geisicki one of the highest paid tight ends in the league when we can just draft one.

Geisicki is also one dimensional so we can probably find a better all around tight end in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft.

The Waydenmeyer kid or whatever his name is.  Hes a total stud.  We might target him w/ Seattles 1st rounder.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I do not know how they are against the cap but if they have to pay for Watson, there will be a better chance that they cant resign him.

But if your alluding he might wind up on the jets, that aint happening.  The Jets will be using one of their many high draft picks on a tight end.  There is no reason to make geisicki one of the highest paid tight ends in the league when we can just draft one.

Geisicki is also one dimensional so we can probably find a better all around tight end in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft.

The Waydenmeyer kid or whatever his name is.  Hes a total stud.  We might target him w/ Seattles 1st rounder.

I agree I wouldn’t make Mike the highest paid TE because he’s not a complete player and in our scheme he would need to block more.

But Christ draft a TE????
 

I hope not I really pray we sign one, don’t trust our GM drafting the right one because with the luck we have, all the TE’s taken after we select one will be better. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, David Harris said:

I’m going to quote frequent Phinsider commenter Francesco, who I think will admit to not being a big Gesicki fan when he was first on the team. He said: “The only player who have character in the offense is Gesicki ... Thats why they dont want him.” And Fran, you couldn’t be more right.

Some piece of fact based reporting going on at Phininsider.  Sounds a lot like Jetsinsider back in the day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I want the Jets to sign AND draft a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round. We do not have a number 1 or number 2 TE. ML insist on using two TEs. We need to pick up two TE's this offseason.

At least two, honestly. I kind of think they need to pick up three. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, derp said:

At least two, honestly. I kind of think they need to pick up three. 

Agreed.  The current TE group is abysmal, it needs to be totally turned over.  I think they need to get a diverse group that fills the multiple roles this offense needs.  If they don’t bring in a FB you need a TE that can play out of the backfield, you need the inline traditional guy and a move TE that can flex out.   Right now the Jets have pretty much nothing at the position and the guys they have are pretty much the same plodding, non-athletic slugs.  
 

It’s a good draft to fill these roles though, and I suspect there will continue to be numerous discussions and debates in the draft forum regarding these guys.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, nycdan said:

The Saints can't afford a water boy let alone an actual rostered player right now.  They have the worst cap situation in the league this year and next.  And they may need to think about paying Winston next year which means big cuts almost have to be coming.

Yet those mfs always seem to get more money, watch out for Terron Armstead, we should break the bank for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Yet those mfs always seem to get more money, watch out for Terron Armstead, we should break the bank for him.

They went nuts trying to keep Ramczyk and Lattimore this offseason while dealing with Brees coming off the books.  But they are screwed next year.  More than $50M over the cap at a projected cap of $208M.  Even if the cap goes up $20M more than that, they still have to cut and restructure like crazy just to keep their heads above water.  I can't see them making any big signings, especially for a non-premium position.  But who knows...as you said, teams always do seem to slip out of these situations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, nycdan said:

The Saints can't afford a water boy let alone an actual rostered player right now.  They have the worst cap situation in the league this year and next.  And they may need to think about paying Winston next year which means big cuts almost have to be coming.

Last year we were told the Chiefs didn't have enough cap space to buy a new PS5.  Roughly ten minutes later they handed out about a trillion dollars in extensions.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I do want to add a TE in the top 3 rounds as well so I won't be too beat up if we sign Ertz or Howard. I'd have to imagine the Browns will try to retain Njoku.

I dunno, they drafted some other guys and I think Njoku as a former first rounder is looking for a place where he can be the guy

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Last year we were told the Chiefs didn't have enough cap space to buy a new PS5.  Roughly ten minutes later they handed out about a trillion dollars in extensions.

Correct, if teams want a player bad enough they dump someone else and find a way to get that cap space.  Ever year the jets fans drool that we have the most cap space in the league and list off all the prime fa's we are getting, 2/3 of them resign to teams that 'have no cap space' and the last 3rd has the whole league after them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...