Joe Douglas has to be out tonight.

Irish Jet

3 minutes ago, Origen said:

Wow, a stupid post.  Shocking.

Elaborate please. I'm happy to go through every move he's made if necessary. He's been awful by any measure.

You have people writing Saleh and Wilson off 7 games in to their careers and this guy gets a pass when he's overseeing the whole f*cking show. There is no excuse for the product being this bad at this stage. It's bad because he has been bad and there must be accountability. 

• Upvote 4

The Jets have a lot of money invested in Douglas and Saleh.  I have no doubt that the Jets will look much, much better next year.  Douglas knows it’s his year to spend after the Johnsons have now recovered for Tremaine, etc.  They also have a lot of draft picks.  

This past game against the BB Patriots was a worst case scenario.  They may win a few more  games this season, but the team will look better 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Elaborate please. I'm happy to go through every move he's made if necessary. He's been awful by any measure.

You have people writing Saleh and Wilson off 7 games in to their careers and this guy gets a pass when he's overseeing the whole f*cking show. There is no excuse for the product being this bad at this stage. It's bad because he has been bad and there must be accountability. 

At some point in 2019 he sat down with the Johnson's and said something like:

We're going to spend the next 2 years getting rid of sh*t contracts and bringing on as many flyers as we can.  We're not going to sign anyone to anything over a 1 year deal unless they are special.  We'll have new everything in 2021 with a bunch of kids, so we'll suck, and we all know this is going to happen.  Then we'll see who among the flyers taken is worthy of staying.  2022 we will use the large amount of accumulated draft picks and saved up cap space to sign higher dollar free agents to the positions of need that they weren't able to catch lightning in a bottle with from those flyers taken the previous year or the 1 year prove it deals.  Then, you have a reasonably seasoned QB and the team built around him and a process that can feed itself moving forward.

I'm sure the Johnson boys saw that and said, "Okay, lets sign you to a 6 year deal and see it through" and are happily looking forward to the second part of his plan to begin.  So get ready for 3 more years of all the pain to start paying off because he is going nowhere.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Every failure of Saleh is by extension a failure of Douglas. He's his handpicked guy.

c'mon.  douglas may have hired him but he was high on everyone's list.  remember when the jets hired gase?  an awful lot of people were dissing mike mccarthy at the time saying that he was a has been coach and the packers were all about rodgers.  how are the cowgirls doing?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FactsOnly said:

Why do you keep saying 3 years in

he’s had 2 drafts which were good

His blunder is this horrendous coaching staff

CUT BAIT

Are you referring to the draft picks that fell into his lap or the picks he actually had to decide who to pick. 

Seems to me that there are some massive gaps in the Jets overall scouting process. And then Saleh just is too nice to be a HC. In theory not hitting or wearing pads all preseason is great...but for such a young unproven team it was maddening how soft their camp practices were. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Seems to me that there are some massive gaps in the Jets overall scouting process. And then Saleh just is too nice to be a HC. In theory not hitting or wearing pads all preseason is great...but for such a young unproven team it was maddening how soft their camp practices were. 

This will be a tough season. 

JD will need to replace people below him.  They are not scouting well.  They miss too many physical and mental flaws. 

Salah will need to upgrade the coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

I think “can’t blame Maccagnan anymore” is way, way off. The Jets have five starters from Maccagnan’s tenure and had about $30 million in dead cap space this season. Douglas has had two full offseasons to acquire the other seventeen starters without trying to further the disastrous cap situation.

Douglas’ drafts don’t look great, particularly with all the guys who are injured. But the team is still going to be recovering from Maccagnan in a couple of years.

If they hadn’t gotten assets for two other terrible Maccagnan selections - Adams and Darnold - things would actually look even worse which is pretty impressive.

Lol   

it could be 2038 these guys be bringing uO mac 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JETSY14 said:

You see flashes of talent?? Your electric must be going in and out.  Our biggest play was a pass interference and our D looks like Swiss cheese. 

To be. fair, I remember year after year on this board people say - throw it deep - you have a good chance to get either a PI or big play. In theory, maybe not today, if they don't PI, we get the big play so it isn't a gift - it is smart - beat the WR, throw the pass, either get a big play or a PI.

Not arguing with the swiss cheese comment; more like bj's special knockoff swiss cheese.

4 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Hate to tell you guys / neither one of these guys are going anywhere. Firing anyone, 6 games into their first season, isn’t going to solve anything either.  We’re stuck with these guys for the next 2, maybe 3 years until Wilson proves he is or isn’t the guy. 

While I get the team is uncompetitive, asking Saleh and LaFleuer to make this team competetive is like handing Gordon Ramsey a pile of horsesh!t and asking him to make it a gourmet meal.  The roster is terrible - and that’s on JD, but he’s tied here due to his 6 yr contract and his hire of Saleh.

A round of Salmon for them all.  It's on me.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I would say his biggest mistake right now is hiring Saleh who should, at the very least, bring with him a competent defense. Quinnen Williams, JFM, Maye, Mosley, Rankins, Hall. This is NOT a defense of rookies. There are no excuses. 

Maye is definitely leaving as we have chatted ad nauseam. 

29 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

It isn't "way off" at all. The line that's not protecting Wilson, the WR's dropping passes, the QB missing throws is entirely Douglas' work. The offence is literally 10/11 on Douglas players and it's one of the worst units in football.

The only players who are Mac holdovers are Crowder, Q, Mosley, Maye and Fatukasi and they're arguably our f*cking best. Stop this bullsh*t excuses about a cap situation - By that logic  we wouldn't sign anyone. He's taken swings and has mostly missed. Kalil, Griffin, Perriman, GVR - Just a few of the garbage contracts he's handed out in that time, not even mentioning the disastrous injury washouts. 

The drafts have been abysmal. Passing on Wirfs and Claypool for Becton and Mims are the sort of moves that bury a franchise. We're not even two years removed from that draft and already there are multiple guys essentially out of the league. He took a nothing running back in the 4th which should have been a major red flag there and then but nah, our fans just lapped it up. Look at him now. 

It's pathetic, it's unacceptable but the cultists continue to make excuses for this garbage. There were better players available, there always have been and yet this is the product we're subjected to on a weekly basis. Giving Douglas the 2022 draft is giving Mac the 2020 draft all over. A proven failure who will predictably fail. This whole franchise, from it's owners to it's fanbase is an absolute f*cking joke. 

Reread the bold, tell me what good players from Maccagnan’s tenure Douglas let go, and then tell me that it’s not way off again.

The point of my post was that Douglas needed to turn over Maccagnan’s entire team in two years. Which you seem to agree with. It’s hard to scrap together an entire roster in two years in FA and drafts with a massive dead cap hit.

Again, I acknowledged Douglas’ drafts haven’t been good. But the terrible roster Maccagnan left, coupled with awful contracts, is a big handicap.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, derp said:

Reread the bold, tell me what good players from Maccagnan’s tenure Douglas let go, and then tell me that it’s not way off again.

The point of my post was that Douglas needed to turn over Maccagnan’s entire team in two years. Which you seem to agree with. It’s hard to scrap together an entire roster in two years in FA and drafts with a massive dead cap hit.

Again, I acknowledged Douglas’ drafts haven’t been good. But the terrible roster Maccagnan left, coupled with awful contracts, is a big handicap.

Three years , he was the shopper in charge since the last bum was

sh*t canned in 2019. The best player he signed in the first year of

his contract is taxi squad, tanzel Smart

Saleh has been so bad he’s entering one and done territory. But as someone posted above the GM that hires the one and done coach usually goes also . Still 12 games to put a somewhat competitive stretch together , but if this continues I would lose them both on black Monday . I don’t see how you don’t 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

The Jets have a lot of money invested in Douglas and Saleh.  I have no doubt that the Jets will look much, much better next year.  Douglas knows it’s his year to spend after the Johnsons have now recovered for Tremaine, etc.  They also have a lot of draft picks.  

This past game against the BB Patriots was a worst case scenario.  They may win a few more  games this season, but the team will look better 

I do think this is the most likely scenario. Douglas will spend like a mad man this off season because he'll have to win next year

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Especially considering all the draft picks the Jets have next year. I'm starting to agree that they can't let someone whose overseeing all of this losing make those picks. 

He sits on all of his cap space.

Here is a breakdown of the cap space that Joe Douglas "sits on":

Trumaine Johnson $8 million

Sam Darnold $5 million

LeVeon Bell  $4 million

Quincy Enunwa  $3.6 million

Kelechi Osemele $3.12 million

Henry Anderson $1.3 million

Imagine being responsible for $24 million of mistakes from a previous disaster of a GM made THREE years ago. Do you think JD would have made more signings if he had an additional $24 MILLION to spend?

• Upvote 1