Joe Douglas has to be out tonight.

Irish Jet

14 minutes ago, maury77 said:

What in the name of god is your optimism based on? Seriously, what (other than blind faith) in Douglas's 2 years of free agency and draft picks gives you the justification to believe that Douglas is the best young GM in the league and is going to kill it? This is like saying Charlize Theron is going to walk into my house in her underwear and sit on my lap after leaving me a Porsche 911 in the driveway. 

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FBuMAAOSwRNtb0ji8%2Fs-l300.jpg&sp=1636932094T16044d6631d9a7ddaa7c14383f64da8c156bebc47077e8084bff0445cab827d6

• Upvote 1

Just now, RSJ said:

So you overpay. Problem solved. You wont get every free agent. But you will get enough to help out. This isnt only on the players though. I have personally never believed in this defensive scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

But we have a GM that doesn’t seem to budge on a value he places on a player. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hard hitting take here.

Proud of yourself with that?

It's a reality, everything else other than that is just noise.  This was season was always going to be about developing Zach and it was always going to be ugly.  Now we're back on track.

When Zach starts playing well..and he will - JD will look good, Saleh will look good and all the other players around them will look far superior to what we saw today,.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

So you overpay. Problem solved. You wont get every free agent. But you will get enough to help out. This isnt only on the players though. I have personally never believed in this defensive scheme.

And how has overpaying for players worked out in the past.  We overpaid for Leveon Bell and Trumaine Johnson and CJ Mosley.  Gotta build a young good core through the draft and add pieces to it in FA.  Which is why I am so down on this year's team.  I thought we were headed in the right direction, but this has been horrific. 

• Upvote 1

And how has overpaying for players worked out in the past.  We overpaid for Leveon Bell and Trumaine Johnson and CJ Mosley.  Gotta build a young good core through the draft and add pieces to it in FA.  Which is why I am so down on this year's team.  I thought we were headed in the right direction, but this has been horrific. 

Those were bad free agents. No doubt. You dont get a RB through free agency. Trumaine Johnson didnt fit our system and on top of that was old. Most CBs are all done by his age. Its a young mans position. Those are two guys that just never should have been targeted. I can give you examples of tons of others that did. Faneca, Bart Scott, etc etc. Those GMs made bad calls - but it doesnt mean you stop finding the right ones and overpaying them.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Proud of yourself with that?

It's a reality, everything else other than that is just noise.  This was season was always going to be about developing Zach and it was always going to be ugly.  Now we're back on track.

When Zach starts playing well..and he will - JD will look good, Saleh will look good and all the other players around them will look far superior to what we saw today,.

I pray you are right because I can't take much more of this lol. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

@Frogman @jetsons @Green hat

Instead of sniping from the shadows like cowards get in here and defend your boy. 

Just to go in circles? I've already stated my opinion on JD a few times. Got the job with maybe 5 decent starters on the entire roster. In TWO off seasons we have a lot more talent than we did. There is progress and we are well positioned to bring in more talent this off season. 

Tons of rookies, combined with tons of injuries. Remember, both of our starting safeties are out. And Lawson hurts.

Our defense does look absolutely abysmal. I'm getting worried about the defensive staff, for sure. But maybe we just have a ways to go talent wise to play this system. I don't know. I'm not firing anyone in year one. At least we have seen some progress on offense, just none on defense. Yes it is not good. 

This is the Jets. I know it will probably not work out. It never does. I was pissed while watching the game but I didn't expect much today. We have the worst D in the league and they have the best. 

If they suck like this next year, it'll be a completely different story. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, RSJ said:

NE just rebuilt mostly through free agency in one offseason. There is no excuse as to why we should be this bad.

Know why? Because Douglas acts like he has to impersonate Ozzie Newsome to a T in order to be successful. Similar to Mangini, whose belief that he had to completely parrot Belli ultimately led to his failure. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 10/24/2021 at 11:34 AM, Irish Jet said:

3 years in and this is absolutely unacceptable.

Can't blame Maccagnan anymore. This is his operation and the results are dire. Cannot trust this man with next year's draft having overseen this debacle. 

Pull the plug. Do it now before anymore damage is done.

This could literally be the worst take i have ever seen on jetnation. Ever.

I mean the complete lack of understanding  anything about a GMs job or the one ours has done.

It's quite literally absurd. Thank God you do not control any aspect of the team and hopefully nothing of consequence in the real world.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Lith said:

Sometimes it does work out. 2008 through 2010, Tanny went on a huge spending spree and it worked for a while until it crashed. Jets didn't win a Super Bowl but that 2008 through 2010 run are halcyon days compared to the torture of the last 10 years. 

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

This could litert be the worst take i have ever seen on jetnation. Ever.

I mean the complete lack of understanding  anything about a GMs job or the one ours has done.

It's quite literally absurd. Thank God you do not control any aspect of the team and hopefully nothing of consequence in the real world.

lol

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

No but if you're gonna say some rookies look great as a defence then you have to acknowledge that the one that matters most does not.

Agreed but coming in to a 2-14 team and starting at QB is generally a very difficult spot. Wilson has looked slow to process like many before him. Hell, even this year the guy taken ahead of him who is supposed to be a "generational talent" hasn't looked good in a bad situation.

Wilson hasn't looked good, but his story isn't written yet.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Green hat said:

Just to go in circles? I've already stated my opinion on JD a few times. Got the job with maybe 5 decent starters on the entire roster. In TWO off seasons we have a lot more talent than we did. There is progress and we are well positioned to bring in more talent this off season. 

Tons of rookies, combined with tons of injuries. Remember, both of our starting safeties are out. And Lawson hurts.

Our defense does look absolutely abysmal. I'm getting worried about the defensive staff, for sure. But maybe we just have a ways to go talent wise to play this system. I don't know. I'm not firing anyone in year one. At least we have seen some progress on offense, just none on defense. Yes it is not good. 

This is the Jets. I know it will probably not work out. It never does. I was pissed while watching the game but I didn't expect much today. We have the worst D in the league and they have the best. 

If they suck like this next year, it'll be a completely different story. 

Those "5 decent starters" are or would still be our best players. 

Do we really have "a lot more talent"? And if so why doesn't it show on the field? Do people really think we're better than we were in 2018? 

Yes we have a young team. That's by Douglas' design. He could have balanced the roster and brought in more experience in certain areas, on the staff if not with the players. He chose a bunch of rookies across the board and they look like a group that's collectively out of it's depth. Rookies playing isn't an indicator of great young talent, but often just a lack of talent in general. We had a similar collection of rookies playing under Idzik at one point and it didn't go anywhere. 

Injuries are just a laughable excuse. Look around the league. They happen everyone. Things were pretty bad even with the starting safeties. 

I think we'll look back at Douglas getting this draft like we looked at Mac getting 2019. The writing's on the wall but we don't act and we'll let a guy with an abysmal track record do even more damage. You know things are bad when the best reason not to get rid of him is because the Johnson's will just hire another failure, which is true but it doesn't excuse the complete debacle that has been Douglas' tenure to this point.

There is no sign of progress. We're not competitive. 5 of 8 games have essentially been blowouts. It's disgusting that this is the state of things in year 3. 

On 10/24/2021 at 3:48 PM, ScarletKnight89 said:

Especially considering all the draft picks the Jets have next year. I'm starting to agree that they can't let someone whose overseeing all of this losing make those picks. 

He sits on all of his cap space.

Ridiculous thread at this point anyway. Neither Douglas or Saleh are going anywhere anytime soon.  Anyway....

Becton, Hall and Mann in 2020

AVT, Moore, Carter I and II all look like keepers.  Echols? Pinnock?  Don't know yet.  Sherwood and Nasrildeen are changing positions at the NFL level...may come along in time, but expecting much this year was a stretch.

Of course the elephant in the room is Wilson.

Honestly, if Wilson can figure it out I'd say this past draft was a huge success and it was the first draft where Douglas had ample opportunity to assemble his own scouting staff.  But it all depends on Wilson starting to put it together somewhat before the end of the season.

Is the book out on Douglas yet?  Nah...I'm of the opinion that Macc set this franchise back at least 5 yrs and had no concept of team building.  Saleh while disappointing so far, is a rookie HC too.

I understand the frustration (hell, I'm 62 y.o. and '69 is a distant memory) but firing the GM (and 'his' picked HC) at this point just perpetuates the problem of the continuing revolving door in the FO.  Douglas will be retained til at least year 5 of his 6 yr deal, and Saleh will get at least 2-3 seasons unless the team he coaches revolts.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

This could literally be the worst take i have ever seen on jetnation. Ever.

You used the word literally way too many times to be taken seriously. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think we have to give JD at least 1 more draft at the absolute minimum.  He traded for all these picks that we've got next year so let's at least let him fulfill his vision.   And as far as I'm concerned it's not year 3.  He's in year 2.  

I get what you're saying, but in the corporate world, they don't hire the same guy that comes in and tears down a company to then build them back up. I think Douglas did great selling off the parts, but that doesn't mean he "deserves" a chance to spend them. He has to earn that on it's own and so far...that looks pretty iffy. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s funny (or maybe not so funny) how the expectations people have of this team keep getting lower and lower, and yet the team still doesn’t meet them.  

Nobody, absolutely nobody expected a bunch of wins this year, just look competent and give some hope, be better than last year, a season who most thought couldn’t get any worse.  Even those expectations have fallen short.  Now you’re just begging for ONE phase of the team look good, just ONE.   It’s become comical at this point. 

This sums it up.

8 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

And bad teams stay bad when they keep turning over coaching staffs and front offices every 3 years.  

Haha, by this logic we should have just kept Mac and Gase.

No accountability folks. Just see out your 6 year contract because bad teams don't get better with change. They get better by sticking with the guy who put together the bad team. Jets fans logic.