Jets Win Trade With Panthers

59 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Yes….now why can’t he identify talent that can play????  I’m glad Sam’s gone but this team is void of real talent except a few players  

He refuses to over pay for guys like hunter Henry or johnnu Smith.  He has become too stubborn when it comes to his value chart with free agents.

He needs to learn that as GM of the jets he needs to overpay to attract many free agents. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, juxsta said:

PJ isn't exactly lighting it up. He had almost 3 picks in one series himself.  Next man up would be Morgan. 

Morgan may be the smartest QB around; of course, he would be backing up White next week, so... well Carolina probably a better team, so yeah - he was smart. :-)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Disagree on both your points.

Gettleman knew OBJ was headache, could have traded him for a king's ransom. But he decided to sign him to the biggest WR contract with predictable results. Set the franchise back 3 years. True cap hell.

Extending Sam seems like a mistake now but it's not cap hell if they decide to draft a QB and have he and Sam compete next year. They'd pay 3/4 of that for a veteran backup anyway.

Fine to disagree. Pointless to argue where this mistake to trigger the option for Sam fits in the patheon of all time unforced moronic decisions when we both agree it’s in the club.

And if you posted that extending OBJ was an unforced error without benefit of hindsight (as I did here) mad props.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Fine to disagree. Pointless to argue where this mistake to trigger the option for Sam fits in the patheon of all time unforced moronic decisions when we both agree it’s in the club.

And if you posted that extending OBJ was an unforced error without benefit of hindsight (as I did here) mad props.

I don't know if I posted about OBJ here - this is a jets board afterall - but I know I thought they were crazy to give OBJ that cash given how he behaved BEFORE he got his payday. Extending him was not a no brainer and it was a subject of much debate at the time. 

As for Sam, while moving on from him is/was the right decision, and JD got good value for him - the jury is still out on if we wouldn't have been better off just keeping him a year and either trading down or picking Pitts (or both if it were possible). THAT I'm on the record saying here.

Pitts is now showing what a freak he is - and having him and drafting a QB next year may have been the better decision than burning the #2 pick on Wilson.  I hope Zach proves me wrong. I really do.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

I don't know if I posted about OBJ here - this is a jets board afterall - but I know I thought they were crazy to give OBJ that cash given how he behaved BEFORE he got his payday. Extending him was not a no brainer and it was a subject of much debate at the time. 

As for Sam, while moving on from him is/was the right decision, and JD got good value for him - the jury is still out on if we wouldn't have been better off just keeping him a year and either trading down or picking Pitts (or both if it were possible). THAT I'm on the record saying here.

Pitts is now showing what a freak he is - and having him and drafting a QB next year may have been the better decision than burning the #2 pick on Wilson.  I hope Zach proves me wrong. I really do.

Keeping Sam would’ve been the stupidest thing JD could do. I didn’t want Wilson but getting something for Sam before that window closed was absolutely the right call. I could’ve lived with your scenario to eschew QB for a year but not with Sam. Hell no. Bring in a reclamation project/placeholder in that scenario. Minshew/Trubisky were dirt cheap and both 100x as accomplished as Darnold. 

Darnold is a terrible NFL QB which was proven before and again now in CAR. Carolina heads are going to roll over him. He is horrendous.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, y2k8 said:

All Front Office mistakes are unforced errors.

IDK, Gettleman signing OBJ to largest WR contract in history and then trading him less than a year later sustaining a crippling cap hit and getting a bag of balls back is still the worst FO move I've ever seen.

Seriously? You haven’t seen a worse FO move, huh?
It’s obvious you have no idea who the Giants ended up with in that trade. That’s the only possible reason why you’d post anything this dumb.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

People taking a victory lap on darnold While the Jets remain the worst team in football is like when players celebrate on a 2nd down stop to only have the opposing offense March down the field aka the Jets 

The Jets sucking and being right on Darnold sucking are two entirely different things. 

• Post of the Week 2

46 minutes ago, jgb said:

Keeping Sam would’ve been the stupidest thing JD could do. I didn’t want Wilson but getting something for Sam before that window closed was absolutely the right call. I could’ve lived with your scenario to eschew QB for a year but not with Sam. Hell no. Bring in a reclamation project/placeholder in that scenario. Minshew/Trubisky were dirt cheap and both 100x as accomplished as Darnold. 

Darnold is a terrible NFL QB which was proven before and again now in CAR. Carolina heads are going to roll over him. He is horrendous.

The team is hopeless and the season is wasted. Sam, Zach, some other jag ... would it really matter? The team clearly wasn't ready to draft a QB and "start the clock" - keeping Sam would have been a cheap placeholder for the season. As bad as he has been, Zach has been worse.

I dunno. Doesn't really matter. This team is garbage and will be for years.

36 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Seriously? You haven’t seen a worse FO move, huh?
It’s obvious you have no idea who the Giants ended up with in that trade. That’s the only possible reason why you’d post anything this dumb.

Oh, sorry. J Peppers. Real Difference maker. You're right. Totally makes up for the cap hell the Giants put themselves in.

Thanks for making such a great argument and proving me wrong. You remind me of a young William F Buckley. Please post more.

36 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Oh, sorry. J Peppers. Real Difference maker. You're right. Totally makes up for the cap hell the Giants put themselves in.

Thanks for making such a great argument and proving me wrong. You remind me of a young William F Buckley. Please post more.

Like I said, you don’t know what they got back in the trade, you’re just talking out of your a**.
Yes, they got Peppers (who would be the best player in our secondary) but they also got a 1st round pick, #17. You didn’t know that, did you?

They used it to get Dexter Lawrence, ever hear of him? He’d be the best player on our defense if we had him. Kind of everything we wish QW could be, but whatever.

So the Giants got a 23 year old starting safety who also returns punts, and a 1st round pick they hit out of the park for a guy who hasn’t done a thing since the day they dumped him.
***That’s the trade you call the worst FO move you’ve ever seen.*** ?

Just take the L and move on Bozo. You’re in over your head. I won’t even bother educating you on how much the Giants spent in FA the last two years… “Cap hell” ? 

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

The team is hopeless and the season is wasted. Sam, Zach, some other jag ... would it really matter? The team clearly wasn't ready to draft a QB and "start the clock" - keeping Sam would have been a cheap placeholder for the season. As bad as he has been, Zach has been worse.

Yes it would matter because we got draft capital for Sam. We already spent a first and 3 second rounders on Sam. Failing to trade him would’ve been like burning ANOTHER second on him. Sam would’ve been a very expensive placeholder.

JD had no choice but to unload him because it was so colossally obvious.

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

I don't know.  I'm old enough to remember the Sanchez extension.

We can argue price. Who cares if it is first second or third most moronic unforced error in history. You guys can’t see the forest from the trees.

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yes it would matter because we got draft capital for Sam. We already spent a first and 3 second rounders on Sam. Failing to trade him would’ve been like burning ANOTHER second on him. Sam would’ve been a very expensive placeholder.

JD had no choice but to unload him because it was so colossally obvious.

It wasn't colossally obvious at that time, nor after week 3, but those picks were a nice return and look amazing after Sam was benched today. 

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

You can’t just wait for the “right time” to take a QB.  You don’t have a good one (Darnold), you get an opportunity to take a potential one (Wilson)- there’s no waiting.  You take the new QB!!

You never know where you’re going to pick or who will be available in future drafts.  

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Like I said, you don’t know what they got back in the trade, you’re just talking out of your a**.
Yes, they got Peppers (who would be the best player in our secondary) but they also got a 1st round pick, #17. You didn’t know that, did you?

They used it to get Dexter Lawrence, ever hear of him? He’d be the best player on our defense if we had him. Kind of everything we wish QW could be, but whatever.

So the Giants got a 23 year old starting safety who also returns punts, and a 1st round pick they hit out of the park for a guy who hasn’t done a thing since the day they dumped him.
***That’s the trade you call the worst FO move you’ve ever seen.*** ?

Just take the L and move on Bozo. You’re in over your head. I won’t even bother educating you on how much the Giants spent in FA the last two years… “Cap hell” ? 

LOL. Did your Uncle Dave give you his talking points for keeping his job?

You are right. DL is a good player. But Peppers is a jag. Sorry. But the the whole fiasco set the franchise back and screwed their cap situation. Your uncle could have traded him and gotten a similar haul without the dead money cap ramifications. Not to mention trading OBJ to Cleveland without letting SF and others counter to get a bigger return. Gettleman is a disaster.

6 minutes ago, David Harris said:

You can’t just wait for the “right time” to take a QB.  You don’t have a good one (Darnold), you get an opportunity to take a potential one (Wilson)- there’s no waiting.  You take the new QB!!

You never know where you’re going to pick or who will be available in future drafts.  

Whenever we decide Zach sucks and we need a new QB, I hope the team is decent and we sign a good Free Agent.  I can't do another rookie QB/lottery ticket season.