Let's Fix The OL

Maynard13

Ok so Zach is now injured.  He might recover before the season is over but I'd sit him for the rest of the year. No need to jeopardize him anymore at this point.  The OL has not shown it's capable of protecting him.  The offense is just not in sync.  They cant run the ball and Zach is constantly under stress.  The OL MUST be addressed for next year.  Becton and AVT are a nice foundation to build off. We MUST fortify the Center, RG and RT in 2022.  We have 4 primo picks - 2 in round 1 and 2 in round 2. Right now we're projected to pick 4th and 10th in round 1 and 34th and 42nd in round 2 with Zach now injured. We also may be vying for that #1 pick as a strong possibilty.  Lions, Texans, Jags and Jets should be the first 4 picks.  If the top 3 players are availabe with our pick - Thibedoux, Stingley, Neal - who do you take?  Lets project and say Thib and Neal are gone when we pick. Stingley then is the pick.  Or we could trade back with that top #1 pick.  Regardless, it brings us to our 2nd 1st rounder at 10 or there about.  This is the key pick IMO. The pick - Linderbaum, Center - Iowa. He may be a reach at 10 BUT I dont hesitate and grab this guy. He is the general this team has lacked since Mangold retired.  In round 2, you take the best available Guard or RT. There are numerous options here: Sean Rhyan, Nick Petite-Frere, Zion Nelson, Rasheed Walker, Lecitus Smith, Ikem Ekwanou. Would prefer to grab a stud RT and sign a veteran RG like Schreff. We need a veteran prescence on the OL with all these young guys.  So the OL coiuld look like this: Becton, AVT, Linderbaum, Schreff, Petite-Frere.  We could resign Moses and Fant as backups for depth and sit the rookie RT for a few games.  The OL must be a priority.  We need to  keep thr offense on the field.  The defense is exhausted by halftime and we are always playing from behind. We must develop a  running game and we must protect Wilson.  A lot of you guys are very keen on FA's and draft prospects.  After a loss like today, I need to hear some hope and solutions.   

4 minutes ago, DrFrasierCrane said:

The problem is the QB not the OL. Draft Corral or Willis and let him compete with Zach. 

Thats not happenning. You dont draft a QB with the #2 pick and give up on him after a year. Actually half a year as it seems he'll be out until next year. 

7 minutes ago, DrFrasierCrane said:

Why not? It’s the most important position in the game. 

Because the investment is huge in terms of draft position and money.   It's way to early to bring in another QB. teams just dont do this after a year.  And Wilson has shown some promise considereing he's playing with a bunch of scrubs that are just dragging him down.  Besides this thread is about improving the OL, so improve it.

Draft Neal and Linderbaum.  That should fix the OL.  And in the 2nd round, draft a TE.  

Or, if some team is willing to trade a lot to move up for the #1 overall pick (which is what I think we'll be getting if Zach is out for the season) then do multiple trade downs and acquire a bunch of picks (though make sure we still get Linderbaum).  

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Can the Jets please draft three OL per year until a quality young, OL is built?  Not just one pick a year and then JAG city for free agent signings.

Or at least 2 OL within the 1st 2 rounds until it's fixed.  We always hear about how OG and C are not premium positions.  But if we can't protect the QB with FAs then they're pretty critical positions.

• Upvote 2

Stingly has some serious red flags that I’d avoid early. He hasn’t been good since his freshman year. He’s hurt this year so we can’t watch him. I’m hoping neal is available for the first pick. It’s almost unheard of to take a center in the top 10. Take an edge there instead. There are a few available. If linderbaum or ekwanu fall to the 20s then trade up for them.  LB needs to be addressed in the worst way. See all those screens that constantly go for a first? That’s usually on them . There’s a few good ones that will be avail in the 2nd. Take one of them or a safety. There’s also a ton of cap space to sign guys. We also have way too many picks so I see a trade coming for either a player or a future pick 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Stingly has some serious red flags that I’d avoid early. He hasn’t been good since his freshman year. He’s hurt this year so we can’t watch him. I’m hoping neal is available for the first pick. It’s almost unheard of to take a center in the top 10. Take an edge there instead. There are a few available. If linderbaum or ekwanu fall to the 20s then trade up for them.  LB needs to be addressed in the worst way. See all those screens that constantly go for a first? That’s usually on them . There’s a few good ones that will be avail in the 2nd. Take one of them or a safety. There’s also a ton of cap space to sign guys. We also have way too many picks so I see a trade coming for either a player or a future pick 

I agree with you 100% about Stingley. He was also hurt last year. Also, the Jets CB room has been performing well especially compared to other position groups.

Although unprecedented, Linderbaum is so good you have to draft him,and a lot of mock drafts have him a 10 ten draft pick now. He is not going to be a “steal” because he’s becoming so well known. 

The Jets could then move McGovern to RG to fix a lot of Oline issues. 

Let’s hope Seattle continues to struggle so the Jets can get Linderbaum with its pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Linderbaum will not fall past the Giants pick.  Any mock draft you will see the Giants take Linderbaum at pick 16.  You dont chance it and you take him with the 2nd 1st rounder. Hopefully its between 10 and 15. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

I agree with you 100% about Stingley. He was also hurt last year. Also, the Jets CB room has been performing well especially compared to other position groups.

Although unprecedented, Linderbaum is so good you have to draft him,and a lot of mock drafts have him a 10 ten draft pick now. He is not going to be a “steal” because he’s becoming so well known. 

Let’s hope Seattle continues to struggle so the Jets can get Linderbaum with its pick.

I like linderbaum a lot too, but McGovern has been our best lineman. It’s not a massive need atm. Taking a guard will be just as helpful esp with someone like ekwanu who is a monster. Also who knows linderbaum might fall to the 20s. Centers always do. I can’t think of a center taken in the top 15. Taking someone like karlaftis  with that pick will pay massive dividends because this d relies on pass rush so much. If neal can be selected with the first pick can you even imagine becton/neal, avt, McGovern, ekwanu, becton/neal. That’s a beast of a line. Pair that with Lawson, quinnen, jfm, and karlaftis. Holy hell 

45 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Truth. Our OL is pedestrian, but it’s not awful. Our QB is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Better than our backup QB. We're in for a much longer season if Zach does indeed have an ACL tear. Mike White played better than I expected today, but not to the level of Zach and he has been playing like crap too.

9 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Linderbaum will not fall past the Giants pick.  Any mock draft you will see the Giants take Linderbaum at pick 16.  You dont chance it and you take him with the 2nd 1st rounder. Hopefully its between 10 and 15. 

Linderbaum and ekwanu  are equal right now and one of them can be traded for in the 20s most likely 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I like linderbaum a lot too, but McGovern has been our best lineman. It’s not a massive need atm. Taking a guard will be just as helpful esp with someone like ekwanu who is a monster. Also who knows linderbaum might fall to the 20s. Centers always do. I can’t think of a center taken in the top 15. Taking someone like karlaftis  with that pick will pay massive dividends because this d relies on pass rush so much. If neal can be selected with the first pick can you even imagine becton/neal, avt, McGovern, ekwanu, becton/neal. That’s a beast of a line. Pair that with Lawson, quinnen, jfm, and karlaftis. Holy hell 

**** McGovern.   Becton, AVT, Linderbaum, Ekwanou, Neal.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Hex said:

Better than our backup QB. We're in for a much longer season if Zach does indeed have an ACL tear. Mike White played better than I expected today, but not to the level of Zach and he has been playing like crap too.

Mike White is the Jets best qb

2 minutes ago, Sellis92 said:

Mike White is the Jets best qb

If he is, then he will show it in the next few weeks give zach is out for a while. This will be a good thing. However, I think the whole offense is screwy currently and even if white plays better, it won't lead to anything. 

7 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Linderbaum and ekwanu  are equal right now and one of them can be traded for in the 20s most likely 

Wont get both but definately one or the other. Both have admireable characteristics. EK is a MONSTER as you said.  Linderbaum is the best cetner to hit the draft in years. 

The first thing that stands out about Linderbaum when you turn on the tape is his athleticism. He explodes out of his stance with exceptional fluidity. Once he’s out of his stance, he’s always moving, always on his feet. Linderbaum gets out to the second level exceptionally well in the run game, easily outpacing his compatriots on the offensive line. For a guy who is listed at 289 pounds, he demonstrates phenomenal play speed.

Whether you are an offensive line expert or an untrained eye, the other thing that stands out is Linderbaum’s competitive toughness. The Iowa OC plays hards on every single play. He looks to finish his opponent on every snap, leading to some impressive takedowns away from the action.

========================================================================

Ekwonu

As a tackle I'm not sold, but as a guard he looks like an absolute beast. He played exclusively at guard in 2019, split reps outside and in for 2020. His name translates as “my effort will not go in vain,” and he’s been described as “the most feared lineman in the ACC” ahead of this college football season. But don’t be fooled by his smiling, bespectacled, off-field demeanor — North Carolina State offensive guard Ikem Ekwonu is a violent game-changer who is one of the best interior offensive linemen in the 2022 NFL Draft class.

-Oliver Hodgkinson

I sometimes get strong Will Hernandez vibes, both the good and the bad. There are times where he struggled with field awareness. I think things should be easier for him on the interior, don't think he's a tackle at the next level (we have him listed at guard). When he gets out on the edge, it's disgusting to watch him hit people. He's not just going to hit you, he's going to drive you into the turf. He's a lot of fun, I'd love to see him more at guard. In a word, from an athleticism and power standpoint - "Disgusting".

49 minutes ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

Reason I take Stingley is because of where we might pick.  Thib and Neal will be first 2 picks.  If we pick one or two, then either of those guys is the pick.  Then take Linderbaum with the 2nd #1.  

9 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Reason I take Stingley is because of where we might pick.  Thib and Neal will be first 2 picks.  If we pick one or two, then either of those guys is the pick.  Then take Linderbaum with the 2nd #1.  

I agree on using the second pick on Linderbaum. Stingley being injured two seasons in a row is a red flag for me. Neal could be a great option or Kayvon Thibodeaux if we can get him.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

I agree on using the second pick on Linderbaum. Stingley being injured two seasons in a row is a red flag for me. Neal could be a great option or Kayvon Thibodeaux if we can get him.

If Jags pick before us they are taking one or the other - as would we.  Thib would be monstrous on our line.  Thib,, QW, JMF, Lawson.  OR 

Becton, AVT, Linderbaum, Schreff, Neal 

So many good scenarios to play out but one thing is for sure - both the OL and DL (edge) need to be vastly improved. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

Yeah, and that's after the next draft. He's not going anywhere anytime soon. 

This roster is horrible.  You guys keep forgetting Woody is very sensitive to how the media perceives him.  No way he sits on his hand while JD continues to run this franchise into the ground and the entire media is laughing at the Jets and ostensibly him

10 minutes ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

I’m thinking that we’ll 100% be in the top 2 picks. I watch red zone along with the jets and the jags and lions look way better than we do even with Zach plus our schedule is getting harder

• Upvote 1