Ira from Staten Island says the defense quit and Saleh is on the hot seat

T0mShane

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Place got pretty ticked when it was pretty  apparent that the preseason practices looked like recess. 

He refers to them as grown man, yet treats them like children, High school practices are probably tougher

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This defense has been bad all year but because our offense was also bad we didn't notice. The defense was never put to the test for 60 minutes because teams just shut things down late. 

Great point.  Don't let them forget it.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

There will have to be a fall guy if the season continues to go off the rails. Little Mikey may be that guy. They are going to have to make some type of statement 

No there doesn't. This year was always all about getting Zach valuable reps and experience. Even the biggest Jets homers knew this year was not going to result in a winning season. Sure we're all pissed because we thought we'd see a better semblance of competitiveness from this team. But count the number of rookies or 1st year Jets players in the lineup and if you look at it logically it was always all about growth and meshing together. The season still has a long way to go and fans are being way over critical way too fast. 

Trust me I felt the same way yesterday, but when I had time to sit back and think logically about it I've calmed down considerably.

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Bottom line is that the coaching staff, including Saleh, is too comfortable. They were given a mulligan for this season before it ever started. Not one of them is coaching with urgency or for their job and that attitude is filtering down to the players because they seem to be hunky dory with the idea that they are a work in progress and losing is OK.

And when I heard Saleh say that he doesn't need to motivate professional football players, all I could think if Ray Handley who had the same refrain.  Newsflash, you do need to motivate guys. That's what a HC does!

To your point, the announcers yesterday remarked that one of the Pats said that all week they were ticked off as a team about their 2-4 record, and said we "practiced with controlled anger." Found that pretty interesting.

• Upvote 1

No there doesn't. This year was always all about getting Zach valuable reps and experience. Even the biggest Jets homers knew this year was not going to result in a winning season. Sure we're all pissed because we thought we'd see a better semblance of competitiveness from this team. But count the number of rookies or 1st year Jets players in the lineup and if you look at it logically it was always all about growth and meshing together. The season still has a long way to go and fans are being way over critical way too fast. 
Trust me I felt the same way yesterday, but when I had time to sit back and think logically about it I've calmed down considerably.

Every game this year except the Titans has been a blowout. This isn’t how you develop a QB.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

I think I actually hate the coaching staff more than the players, the players are rookies we get it, did our whole coaching staff have to be rookies too?

• Upvote 1

it was always all about growth and meshing together.

I think your missing the point. There was none of the statement above happening here. The Jets seem to get worse, not better. 

This team isn't close. The 4-11-1 Bengals last year didnt look this bad. The 2018 6-10 Bills didnt look this bad. 

I'm finding it hard to see this team in 22 doing anything with a couple more rookie additions in the draft. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

I think your missing the point. There was none of the statement above happening here. The Jets seem to get worse, not better. 

This team isn't close. The 4-11-1 Bengals last year didnt look this bad. The 2018 6-10 Bills didnt look this bad. 

I'm finding it hard to see this team in 22 doing anything with a couple more rookie additions in the draft. 

No one expected the Bengals to look this good this year and almost everyone laughed off Allen as a bust QB . Trust the process , the last and worst thing the Jets can do right now is get over reactionary and start all over again.

Rookie Head Coach+ Rookie Offensive Coordinator+ Rookie Defensive Coordinator+ Rookie QB,+ the youngest roster in the NFL.

What the hell did we expect happen this year?

The game was officially over when Saleh went for it on 4th and short late in Q2. It was garbage time after than. Yes, They got their asses kicked both physically, mentally and tactically. But with White in, I don't buy the "quit on Saleh" story. I do hope that players were throwing things inside the locker room and that they will somehow payback the Pats somehow in the future for running up the scoreboard. They were basically insulted and disrespected.

It's going to be a long year...again.

5 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Every game this year except the Titans has been a blowout. This isn’t how you develop a QB.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This year was all about Reps for Wilson, he didn't face top notch talent in college. Getting live snaps , having to face pressure and adversity and getting valuable film study is what will help develop his game. He has the physical toolset, he just needs to think the game faster, it will happen. 

16 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Bottom line is that the coaching staff, including Saleh, is too comfortable. They were given a mulligan for this season before it ever started. Not one of them is coaching with urgency or for their job and that attitude is filtering down to the players because they seem to be hunky dory with the idea that they are a work in progress and losing is OK.

And when I heard Saleh say that he doesn't need to motivate professional football players, all I could think if Ray Handley who had the same refrain.  Newsflash, you do need to motivate guys. That's what a HC does!

If he's not a motivator HC, then he needs to be a scheme guy...an X's and O's type guy.  Ideally, you'd want an HC who is both.  However, right now, Saleh appears to be neither.

Now, maybe he learns from his mistakes, but if he doesn't, it would be totally fair to fire him after one season. He needs to be much better as the season goes on.

I'd agree that there may be a scapegoat soon, and the current OC may have to walk the plank first... at least take away playcalling from him.

Really, this comes back to JD.  He hires a rookie head coach and a rookie OC to mentor his rookie QB with a below average OL and no veteran QB to help out.  Really stupid stuff.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Anyone who has listened to Ira over the years knows how optimistic he is, but he hopped on 98.7 this morning to report that he watched (from the upper deck) that the backside of the defense wasn’t even running to the ball and they couldn’t get lined up. He also reported that LaFleur’s offense is inflexible and designed more for a guy like Mike White (not Zach Wilson) and how ludicrous that is. His conclusion is that at this time next year, we’ll be talking about who replaces Saleh.

Why is this important? Because the Johnson bros are hyper-reactive to public opinion and think Ira is the chairman of Jets fandom. Watch this space!

Steve Young has stated the LaFleur offense is perfect for Zach. Ira from Staten Island disagrees. 

Out of all my concerns about this Jets team, this is not one of them lol. 

This year was all about Reps for Wilson, he didn't face top notch talent in college. Getting live snaps , having to face pressure and adversity and getting valuable film study is what will help develop his game. He has the physical toolset, he just needs to think the game faster, it will happen. 

It may never happen but you’re 100% correct. The kid is transitioning from BYU to the NFL. To a team with one of the worst rosters in the league. Maybe we expected too much too soon? But to give up after 5 games and call him a bust makes no sense, at this point. 

13 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Steve Young has stated the LaFleur offense is perfect for Zach. Ira from Staten Island disagrees. 

Steve Young also said he liked the situation when Greg Knapp was here, but isn’t so sure about that now.

4 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Depends. He obviously gets the rest of the year. At the end you must always evaluate a season. If you truly think he’s not the guy, you start over. You don’t suffer through 2-3 more seasons of incompetence. We did that with Bowles. At least Bowles had a winning season to start. 

Losing 54-13 should not be happening. Losing 26-0 should not be happening, losing 25-6 should not be happening. 

The Patriots beat us 79-19 this year in the 2 games. Let that sink in.

If we continue to play like this the remaining 11 games, you have to evaluate everything at the end of the season. 

Yup. And the Pats are not a good team. 1-4 against the rest of the league despite having played 5 of their first 7 at home. That loss yesterday was disgusting. 

• Upvote 1

I disagree with quitting. Out executed is more of an accurate statement. Players are beat once they have to think. They didn't know what was coming. This isn't an excuse but their inexperience showed. Plus injuries mounted and there you have it. The defense is the pulse of this team until everything else catches up. What was witnessed yesterday was the state of the team when the defense doesn't hold up their end.

24 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Rookie Head Coach+ Rookie Offensive Coordinator+ Rookie Defensive Coordinator+ Rookie QB,+ the youngest roster in the NFL.

What the hell did we expect happen this year?

The game was officially over when Saleh went for it on 4th and short late in Q2. It was garbage time after than. Yes, They got their asses kicked both physically, mentally and tactically. But with White in, I don't buy the "quit on Saleh" story. I do hope that players were throwing things inside the locker room and that they will somehow payback the Pats somehow in the future for running up the scoreboard. They were basically insulted and disrespected.

It's going to be a long year...again.

My expectations weren't high this year but yesterday was total and complete garbage. I expected this team to lose a lot but kinda look better than an Adam Gase led team. This team would lose the BCS championship game. Disgusting. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Anyone who has listened to Ira over the years knows how optimistic he is, but he hopped on 98.7 this morning to report that he watched (from the upper deck) that the backside of the defense wasn’t even running to the ball and they couldn’t get lined up. He also reported that LaFleur’s offense is inflexible and designed more for a guy like Mike White (not Zach Wilson) and how ludicrous that is. His conclusion is that at this time next year, we’ll be talking about who replaces Saleh.

Why is this important? Because the Johnson bros are hyper-reactive to public opinion and think Ira is the chairman of Jets fandom. Watch this space!

little late to the thread, but Rob doesn't have the rich tenured history of success for players to give him unconditional buy in --- speaking specifically for the defense. When you go out there week after and week and watch Mike's "scripted" first quarter yield ALL the 3-and-outs and zero points through 7 weeks... you start think, Rob's in over his head.

And he debatably is. Mike is deadweight. Can't call a quarter to save Wilson. 

I'm through with the excuses for our OC

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Just because on paper Mike subscribes to an Offensive philosophy that is a "fit" for Wilson - doesn't translate to Mike being the least of your concerns. Thats insane. Calling plays in game, reacting to defenses, down and distance --- is a far fcking cry from drawing up a playbook that turned on Steve Young 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Never understood why Ira became the spokesperson for Jet fans.  Because he goes to away games?  I don't care.  Go talk off a Staten Island jetty.

I mean the defense has had a decent year.  So based off of one game,  we are supposed to believe the sky is falling.   People need to get off the ledge.  The team is not good, but this regime is getting next year

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Rex got fired because he ignored the offense and spent every dollar and every draft pick on defense so as to perpetuate the myth that he was a defensive genius and guarantee him another coaching job when he got fired.  It worked.  It just f-cked us.

You need to better recognize your enemies.  Often they come packaged as attractive looking gifts.

SAR I

Now we have a GM taking o line in the first round every year and dumping more FA money into it than any other position group and this is supposedly his specialty. And the o line is still horrendous 

• Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

I know he did. But Ira, from Staten Island. Gimme a break. 

The guy is a Jets sponsored Pom Pom waver, but if he’s turning on the coach already then where’s there’s smoke there’s fire. He’s getting clearance to do so.

55 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Just because on paper Mike subscribes to an Offensive philosophy that is a "fit" for Wilson - doesn't translate to Mike being the least of your concerns. Thats insane. Calling plays in game, reacting to defenses, down and distance --- is a far fcking cry from drawing up a playbook that turned on Steve Young 

I don’t disagree; I am not deflecting blame for LaFluer.

But who gives a sh1t what Ira from Staten Island thinks? His resume = He goes to a lot of games and spends half his day calling radio shows. Wonderful.

• Upvote 2