Zach Wilson is awful

Snell41

Yes just because Brady was able to evolve into the GOAT Macaroni Jones will do the same. Awesome sample size. In fact it’s much more likely that he is Jacoby Brisset or Matt Cassell, who also looked comfortable early. You don’t just learn how to throw the ball down field, that requires natural talent. Brady was a great baseball player and always had a gun. 

I never said that, I’m tact you can find a recent post of mine where I said Jones will likely never be a top 5 type of QB. He’s a middle of the Rod type of guy but he’ll be consistent and reliable. His comp is a healthy Chad Pennington.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

People are pointing at this as some indication that Mac Jones is going to be great?   Newflash:  He is 1-4 against teams other than the Jets.  The win came against the Texans, who started Davis Mills. 

He also played Tampa and DAL down to the wire, losing by last second FG’s in both cases. I’m not here to debate Mac Jones’ future ability, other people keep bringing that up, but he is worlds better at QB than Wilson. There’s no debate there.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Snell41 said:

He also played Tampa and DAL down to the wire, losing by last second FG’s in both cases. I’m not here to debate Mac Jones’ future ability, other people keep bringing that up, but he is worlds better at QB than Wilson. There’s no debate there.

And made key, clutch throws in both games.  I hate NE.  But every time I've seen Jones play, he's looked comfortable.   Something our guy still has not achieved.   Guess we'll attribute it to their OC being a mile (parsec?) better than ours.  But there is no denying that right now Jones can play in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I never said that, I’m tact you can find a recent post of mine where I said Jones will likely never be a top 5 type of QB. He’s a middle of the Rod type of guy but he’ll be consistent and reliable. His comp is a healthy Chad Pennington.

I’d say ceiling is Alex Smith, but yeah, good but not good enough. Biggest struggle with a guy like that is you need a monster team around him and the Pats historically don’t like to pay people. Yet, Bobby  dipped into his  emergency handjob fund this free agency season so maybe that may change?  One of the things Brady   did that no one else has is take less money to maintain a roster. At least in Tampa, I’m pretty sure he got  his through TB12 in New England 

• Upvote 1

The flipside is that healthy Chad Pennington wins a lot of games in the NFL.  Yea he's not A Rogers, but year in and year out, he's going to keep you in contention, and with the right enough team can probably win the big one. 

Meanwhile gunslingers basically kill their team unless they're miles above everyone else.  The Mahomes and Favre type.  And then, thats a good example b/c a little bit of slippage and your team is in the gutter.   Meanwhile for those less talented, well there are millions of Bryce Petty's that just turn your team into perpetual comedy center meme stock material.

Right now, the warning signs for ZW are like in overdrive.  This injury he suffered was no fluke.  It was 100% a mathematical inevitability based on what we were seeing.  A good example was that sack he took on the first third down play on the secondary blitz...  That was on him.  You simply have to adjust to a hot route or throw it away before you get killed.   All those close call rollouts with guys two feet away in full pursuit, and yea eventually someone is going to be faster than you or hit you late or take out your knees.  It's just not sustainable football play in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, maury77 said:

1. Wilson has been awful so far by any objective standard. 

2. No player (not even Vernon Gholston, Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell) were busts after 5 games. Wilson isn't a bust and he may turn about to be a star.

3. Wilson isn't going anywhere anytime soon and if you think he is, you are going to be in for a loooong 2-3 seasons (at least). 

This post is accurate and makes sense. What is it doing on this board? ?

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Pichula said:

Nothing jumps off the page? He’s made more wow plays in 6 games than any QB we’ve had basically ever. His escapability and arm is ridiculous. You’re impressed with Mac Jones? Did you watch the same game I did yesterday? I could have hung 50 on the Jets. 

yep - I'm pretty good at throwing a screen pass myself, especially if I have a week to prepare. ?

10 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

They scored 17 points against Tampa.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

So you think the teams are equal, Zach should have won the big two games Mac won while Zach had only one win?

I dont understand your question, but as of right now Mac Jones is much better than Zach. And I am on team Zach. Just keeping it real. 

The teams are never equal when the GOAT is the opposing coach

Do you watch the games? Zach cant dump a ball 20 feet away. He aims for the shin

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I dont understand your question, but as of right now Mac Jones is much better than Zach. And I am on team Zach. Just keeping it real. 

Do you watch the games? Zach cant dump a ball 20 feet away. He aims for the shin

It’s true but that started after his first game, he was honestly throwing darts up to the second game he played. Mac looks better than all the rookie QBs and you hit the nail on the head, GOAT coach. 

Yet, not sure you need the GOAT coach, think you just need an experienced coach and a front office that can deliver a somewhat competent roster. 

Baker, Josh and Lamar all went to teams that customize and bolstered their roster to give their young QBs the best chance to succeed. Josh Allen all of a sudden became accurate when they went out and got  Stefan Diggs. 

Herbert is a 100% outlier and in my rotund personal opinion the definition of a Generational talent. Guy could  have gone anywhere and succeeded, even here maybe. Well at least until a Patriot defender was allowed to legally dive at his knee. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Wins are team stats, not QB stats other than their part of the team.  Put Jones on a team like the Jets, the Jags, the Bears and he wouldnt have 1 win.  And he wouldn't have the numbers he has in NE.  

The overblown Zach cant hit a 20 foot pass is interesting.  Would love to know how many of those skip passes hes thrown this year.  

17 minutes ago, Hael said:

The flipside is that healthy Chad Pennington wins a lot of games in the NFL.  Yea he's not A Rogers, but year in and year out, he's going to keep you in contention, and with the right enough team can probably win the big one. 

Meanwhile gunslingers basically kill their team unless they're miles above everyone else.  The Mahomes and Favre type.  And then, thats a good example b/c a little bit of slippage and your team is in the gutter.   Meanwhile for those less talented, well there are millions of Bryce Petty's that just turn your team into perpetual comedy center meme stock material.

Right now, the warning signs for ZW are like in overdrive.  This injury he suffered was no fluke.  It was 100% a mathematical inevitability based on what we were seeing.  A good example was that sack he took on the first third down play on the secondary blitz...  That was on him.  You simply have to adjust to a hot route or throw it away before you get killed.   All those close call rollouts with guys two feet away in full pursuit, and yea eventually someone is going to be faster than you or hit you late or take out your knees.  It's just not sustainable football play in the NFL.

Comparing Zach Wilson to Pat Mahomes and Brett Favre is such a stretch. 

20 minutes ago, Hael said:

his injury he suffered was no fluke.  It was 100% a mathematical inevitability based on what we were seeing.  A good example was that sack he took on the first third down play on the secondary blitz...

Yeah, its an inevitability when a team is allowed to hit a QB low and late as hes running OBs or after a pass in the pocket.  Back to back 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

It’s true but that started after his first game, he was honestly throwing darts up to the second game he played. Mac looks better than all the rookie QBs and you hit the nail on the head, GOAT coach. 

Yet, not sure you need the GOAT coach, think you just need an experienced coach and a front office that can deliver a somewhat competent roster. 

Baker, Josh and Lamar all went to teams that customize and bolstered their roster to give their young QBs the best chance to succeed. Josh Allen all of a sudden became accurate when they went out and got  Stefan Diggs. 

Herbert is a 100% outlier and in my rotund personal opinion the definition of a Generational talent. Guy could  have gone anywhere and succeeded, even here maybe. Well at least until a Patriot defender was allowed to legally dive at his knee. 

Yes he looked OK UP to the 2nd game, but then it all went downhill and fast.

Even as the protection got better, he got worse.

I always dreamed of finally drafting a qb that is so good he could, maybe not win, but make crazy dangerous plays on the run despite the talent around him. So this tells me he isn t that. Now, I just hope he can turn out to be a middle of the pack starting qb.

I know it pisses people off around here but Zach sucks. maybe he will bounce back but right now he is what his stats say he is...the worst in the league. I cannot just ignore all the simple dump off type plays that he can make. Were talking 20 yarders. At its not just once in a while. sometimes its one after another. its sad

23 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Between you and actionZachtion I’m not sure which one of you is actually his mom. “Wow and flash plays bruh, raw talent bruh”. Zach sucks. What’s blatantly obvious is Zach has no clue what he’s doing out there. He has no idea how to read and react to an NFL defense. None.

Zach has talent, but he doesn't have coaches to help him succeed.  The GM effed him with that OL, and the plays called are straight up horse sh%^.  They wouldn't let Mims play to have a deep threat who can CATCH the football.  Yep, eff you Stonehands Davis.  TE's are a a QB's best friend and we DO NOT have an NFL grade TE on this team.  

My god, we know one thing here.  It's how to eff up a QB prospect.\

All BS, No plan.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wins are team stats, not QB stats other than their part of the team.  Put Jones on a team like the Jets, the Jags, the Bears and he wouldnt have 1 win.  And he wouldn't have the numbers he has in NE.  

The overblown Zach cant hit a 20 foot pass is interesting.  Would love to know how many of those skip passes hes thrown this year.  

Its not overblown. Mine eyes have seen a ton of them. 20 feet. Cant hit his target 20 feet away. Its happened a lot. The 20 foot blown passes that all qbs throw on rare occasions are frequent for Zach.

And you dont know what Jones would be on other teams. Your are just speculating. The bottom line is that Jones was projected to be an accurate, slow QB that was most NFL ready. He comes exactly as advertised. Zach, not even close.

Yeah, its an inevitability when a team is allowed to hit a QB low and late as hes running OBs or after a pass in the pocket.  Back to back 

Again, why did he stop running to throw the ball out of bounds? He could have tossed it in stride and the defender never would have touched him. Again, why did he pass up the two designed wide open options to hold the ball too long to throw deep into double covg? THAT is why he’s hurt. Period.

Zach has talent, but he doesn't have coaches to help him succeed.  The GM effed him with that OL, and the plays called are straight up horse sh%^.  They wouldn't let Mims play to have a deep threat who can CATCH the football.  Yep, eff you Stonehands Davis.  TE's are a a QB's best friend and we DO NOT have an NFL grade TE on this team.  
My god, we know one thing here.  It's how to eff up a QB prospect.\
All BS, No plan.

If we’re going by the premise he should have been the pick, then the GM/coaching mistake is playing him now. Period. He’s a 2-3 year project. If Flacco gets the nod I guarantee our offense is going to improve significantly because other than GVR our OL is not that bad, and neither are the play designs.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

A credible pass game wouldn't hurt, either.

well yeah they go hand in hand one will always effect the other. Micheal Carter has at least shown that he has good hands just please stop handing him the football he's not a good RB. He should be a 3rd down back and thats it. Even then Im not real high on him

20 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

well yeah they go hand in hand one will always effect the other. Micheal Carter has at least shown that he has good hands just please stop handing him the football he's not a good RB. He should be a 3rd down back and thats it. Even then Im not real high on him

Well, if the Jets didn't understand how to set up the screen before they sure know after last weekend!

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Look at the board and in the media.  The coverage is a fraction of what you'd expect after a #2 pick goes down.  The past two days have been more about us getting blown out in NE, Saleh/JD failures and Flacco.   I expected more outrage and moaning over Zack's injury.  But it's not really there.

As soon as he got hit low fans were losing their minds. The media's not covering it because it is not a season ender and the Jets are bad.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Right, but then draft him in the second round and sit him for 2 or 3 years. We had no business drafting this kid #2 overall and most certainly no business starting him. That was a monumentally bad decision on all accounts. And with all due respect, NE’s offense is really no better than ours except at TE. Mac Jones is just a pro caliber QB. He won’t be a perennial top 5 guy, but he’s pro caliber right now. Zach Wilson isn’t even close to pro caliber. He does not understand the position, and furthermore handing him the keys and letting him crash the family car into everything in sight seems to fly right in the face of telling a guy like Mims he can’t see the field until he learns every detail of every position abd frankly raises credibility issues with leadership.

Top QBs go to bad teams, that's how the draft works. QBs that go to better teams are going to play better from the start. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

As soon as he got hit low fans were losing their minds. The media's not covering it because it is not a season ender and the Jets are bad.

Yup.   As a follow up, they had a quick segment on Zack's injury this morning on Good Morning Football's news.  His injury was quickly mentioned with no video of the hit.  But they spent the remainder of the segment talking about Flacco, with video highlights of his last time on the Jets.

On 10/25/2021 at 9:40 AM, Snell41 said:

There’s a LaFleur thread, Saleh thread, Douglas thread…. Figure there might as well be an honest one about Zach. The kid is awful. Maybe a year or two sitting so he can learn the basics of football would’ve helped, but he has no business being a starting NFL QB right now. Faster we move on from this disaster the better.

Predictions from my sources | Big Blue Interactive

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Yup.   As a follow up, they had a quick segment on Zack's injury this morning on Good Morning Football's news.  His injury was quickly mentioned with no video of the hit.  But they spent the remainder of the segment talking about Flacco, with video highlights of his last time on the Jets.

They had video playing all night Sunday of the hit and local radio talked about it all day. It's similar to when Lance got knocked out IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I mean do you disagree? Objectively speaking, the Patriots are a better team in almost every area.

Yes but there is a lot of distance between "situation bad therefore poorly-performing QB secretly good." I thought we had already established this as fact after the Darnold situation. 

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yes but there is a lot of distance between "situation bad therefore poorly-performing QB secretly good." I thought we had already established this as fact after the Darnold situation. 

I'm not saying Wilson is secretly good, I'm saying Mac Jones probably doesn't perform much better than Zach if he were here.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I mean do you disagree? Objectively speaking, the Patriots are a better team in almost every area.

I would say if you swapped rosters the results would be pretty close to the same.  Hard to know how good or bad our roster is with the current coaches. 

• Sympathy 1