Random Jets and NFL thoughts

As in said in a different thread yesterday, I’ve had all 3 kids on my own since Thursday night for the first time.  As a result I didn’t barely watch any NFL and zero of the Jets game.

That said, it left me feeling like talking football this morning.  So that’s what I’m doing.  Might be a long post about nothing in particular.

1.) I’m starting to get quite worried about the coaching staff.  Has not been a good first 7 weeks and they looked completely overwhelmed. There are talent differences to be sure, but not a 40 point gap between those two teams yesterday.

2.) Part of my growing concern with the coaching staff is that we bought hard on the Shannahan coaching tree and it turns out that Shannahan just might not be that good of a coach himself. I don’t think I’ve seen a coach so universally praised while pretty consistently producing losing seasons than Kyle Shannahan.  SF can still turn it around this year, but I think Shannahan is overrated big time.  Which could mean Saleh and LaFluer were overrated as candidates as well.

3.). Staying on the subject of our coaching staff, I was listening to ESPN radio this morning.  Rex was on and talking about the Jets.  Him and Keyshawn were doing all the talking but I only caught the very tail end of the segment.  The summary of what I heard is that Rex and Key both think the biggest issue is the assistants, but I didn’t hear if they were talking about anyone(LaFluer?) in particular.  The really interesting part to me is that Rex and Key both said in modern NFL the biggest issue for new coaches is that they often can’t/don’t hire the best assistants and that the entire staff construction is largely dictated by agents etc.  I had never heard that, but man, how sh*tty if true.

4).  I’m convinced more then ever a good OL coach is probably the most important assistant in modern football.  OL play is largely abysmal across all levels of football.  I don’t think it’s a talent issue, I think it’s a coaching issue.  Prime example is the Chiefs.  They made OL moves this season applauded by fans and talking heads alike and their OL is still a disaster.  I think OL more than any position is important to have guys that fit your style to a T.  And to have a coach that can clearly communicate what that style is and how it works.  OL breakdowns allowing free runners etc happens more than I can ever remember.  

5.). Even though I’m worried about the coaching staff it’s far too early to throw in the towel.  2 years ago Brian Flores was a bit of a media darling.  People were really buying him and the Dolphins future.  He’s heading toward unemployment sooner than later now.  On the flip side, Zac Taylor was universally panned prior to this year.  In over his head, only hired because he was a McVay guy etc etc.  well all the sudden he looks like a good coach. For those who are hopeful of a blueprint that can be applicable to the Jets, I think the Bengals are it.

6.  Speaking of Bengals, Chase, not Kyle Pittsor Sewell, is the non QB that should have been the Jets pick if they were ever to go that hypothetical route.  He is a monster.

7).  NFL officiating is pretty awful.  Absolutely zero consistency and even less accountability.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

2.) Part of my growing concern with the coaching staff is that we bought hard on the Shannahan coaching tree and it turns out that Shannahan just might not be that good of a coach himself. I don’t think I’ve seen a coach so universally praised while pretty consistently producing losing seasons than Kyle Shannahan.  SF can still turn it around this year, but I think Shannahan is overrated big time.  Which could mean Saleh and LaFluer were overrated as candidates as well.

I was thinking about this too. Kyle Shanahan was a trendy coach, which inflated Saleh’s stock, but he’s really only put together one decent season. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...