Jump to content

Jets Trade for Flacco


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TICKET SALES PROBLEM SOLVED ROGER

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah, that is what I did.

Literacy is a part of the GM job description.  Work on that if you plan on applying.

Not applying for anything I have a job.  I’m just saying you’ve done the snob stuff before criticizing Jets fans who said anything bad about general managers who were obviously bad

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

This move reeks of desperation.  I am not a fan of giving up a potential 5th round pick in this situation.

Flacco is a serviceable veteran backup quarterback, which is the type of player that should have been on the roster since the spring.  However, the Jets are now in a situation where they are giving up draft capital to acquire a player who has zero knowledge of the offensive system and has never practiced with key offensive players such as Davis, Moore, and Carter.

This is gross roster mismanagement no matter how you slice it.

It’s a Woody move.  He’s been listening to radio roast the Jets for not having a backup qb

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Well the last thing I would do is trade a draft pick for a backup QB who was on the team last season and we could have retained. 

He doesn't have a choice.

IMO, the mistake was not signing a vet to start the season and letting Wilson just sit.  I do not believe in letting a rookie QB start.  For everyone that succeeds, 20 of them fail.  But I am not the GM, JD is, and he believed it would work.  

Now, he has to do what he has to do.  But part of being a first-time GM is learning the job.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

He doesn't have a choice.

IMO, the mistake was not signing a vet to start the season and letting Wilson just sit.  I do not believe in letting a rookie QB start.  For everyone that succeeds, 20 of them fail.  But I am not the GM, JD is, and he believed it would work.  

Now, he has to do what he has to do.  But part of being a first-time GM is learning the job.

 

The mistake was drafting Wilson at all

 

Kyle Pitts is already arguably the league’s second best TE after 7 weeks

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay this is the kind of sh-t inching me closer to the Joe Must Go bandwagon (still not there by any stretch but like anything the final straw ). How the fukk does he not sign Flacco or someone else you trust in the offseason where you needn't give up draft capital.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, jgb said:

It's like asking what would I do if I suddenly found myself behind the wheel of a car blackout drunk and careening toward a cliff. The answer is "I WOULD NOT BE THERE." 

I've stated my course of action early, often, and without the benefit of hindsight. I'm the last guy who should now have to state a position of how I'd come in and help JD un-**** himself. When you foreseeably leave yourself with only bad options by blowing tons of opportunities to avoid the present calamity, lack of good options is not an excuse. The time to have a backup plan is before you need the backup plan. Otherwise it would be called "the new plan."

The seeds of JD's destruction were planted in the off-season. I hope he is ousted because of it (although, he won't be).

You don't "have to". 

If you have no answer for, as you say, how to "un**** JD", i.e. what to do now, that's certainly fine too.

Firing JD is, of course, a plan for now as well.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, McNeil said:

Okay this is the kind of sh-t inching me closer to the Joe Must Go bandwagon (still not there by any stretch but like anything the final straw ). How the fukk does he not sign Flacco or someone else you trust in the offseason where you needn't give up draft capital.

"Inching me closer"?  WTF would JD need to do to seal the deal?  Light a children's hospital on fire?

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You don't "have to". 

If you have no answer for, as you say, how to "un**** JD", i.e. what to do now, that's certainly fine too.

Firing JD is, of course, a plan for now as well.

 

It's incredible that he went into the season with what he had as QB2. I just can't even believe it that a professional sports GM could be so completely incompetent. We will laugh about it for years as a legendary Jets blunder.

Another Jets GM who fans know better than. Add him to the Wall of Shame. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sellis92 said:

The mistake was drafting Wilson at all

 

Kyle Pitts is already arguably the league’s second best TE after 7 weeks

This very well may be true. But that would only work if we didn’t draft a QB early and didn’t keep Sam. They would have to have balls the size Mack Trucks to take a TE at 2 and then bring a vet in. Not sure it’s anything anyone would do until they could tell Kyle Pitts could become  the next Antonio Gates and not the next Vernon Davis. Vernon Davis was slated to change the League as well and ended up a pretty nice player. No front office was doing that, but yeah, knowing what we know it would certainly be better than this. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, McNeil said:

Okay this is the kind of sh-t inching me closer to the Joe Must Go bandwagon (still not there by any stretch but like anything the final straw ). How the fukk does he not sign Flacco or someone else you trust in the offseason where you needn't give up draft capital.

My theory is that JD had zero intention of bringing in a Flacco type but he is feeling the heat now that the team is imploding and is desperate for competitive games and knows Flacco gives them a better chance than White. 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jgb said:

It's incredible that he went into the season with what he had as QB2. I just can't even believe it that a professional sports GM could be so completely incompetent. We will laugh about it for years as a legendary Jets blunder.

During training camp, we all sat here stunned/incredulous when our backup QB plans were Morgan and White.  Then, to correct this idiocy, JD releases Morgan and signs Josh Johnson.   Done.  Fixed.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

This very well may be true. But that would only work if we didn’t draft a QB early and didn’t keep Sam. They would have to have balls the size Mack Trucks to take a TE at 2 and then bring a vet in. Not sure it’s anything anyone would do until they could tell Kyle Pitts could become  the next Antonio Gates and not the next Vernon Davis. Vernon Davis was slated to change the League as well and ended up a pretty nice player. No front office was doing that, but yeah, knowing what we know it would certainly be better than this. 

Look even if you hated Sam, there were other qbs available like Carson Wentz and Mitch Trubisky

 

The point is the roster is still bad, better than what Sam had his entire tenure here but still bad.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

During training camp, we all sat here stunned/incredulous when our backup QB plans were Morgan and White.  Then, to correct this idiocy, JD releases Morgan and signs Josh Johnson.   Done.  Fixed.

I honestly wish I knew JD's thought process behind his management of the QB position. I'll even pay for the hamster food since the little guy will need to work overtime to give us the answer.

Why Don't My Brothers Stay Active? | Updates from the Road

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

He doesn't have a choice.

IMO, the mistake was not signing a vet to start the season and letting Wilson just sit.  I do not believe in letting a rookie QB start.  For everyone that succeeds, 20 of them fail.  But I am not the GM, JD is, and he believed it would work.  

Now, he has to do what he has to do.  But part of being a first-time GM is learning the job.

 

Blake Bortles, Cam Newton, Hell, James Morgan. He had a choice

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sellis92 said:

Not applying for anything I have a job.  I’m just saying you’ve done the snob stuff before criticizing Jets fans who said anything bad about general managers who were obviously bad

No, I criticize armchair GM's who continually bitch and whine about every move by a rookie GM.  If you want to call that being a snob, so be it.

If you want to hire a new GM, you are probably looking at a minimum of three years to see what kind of fruit the tree bears, if any at all.  Every expert worth listening to says you need three years to judge a draft   So why is it there are, continually, a bunch of fans who want our GM du jour fired after a season or two?  Like that is a recipe for success that every team has followed....never.

If you have a rookie GM, you are probably looking at longer....more like five years as they learn on the fly.  Sucks to be the team that continually hires rookie GM's, who then have to turn around and hire rookie coaches who also have to learn on the fly.  But the team is to blame and in part, so are the fans.  When people put up billboards that ask for a rookie GM to be fired after two seasons, and ownership caves, that is on them.  NO GM with any success will touch a job knowing they could be run out of town if things don't miraculously work out after a season or two. 

JD has made some great moves.  He has fleeced teams for draft picks.  He has made two drafts, one of which during a season where they couldn't actually scout players.  So many fans have asked for a 'build through the draft' mentality, abandoning the F/A spending which has bared no fruit...for this team anyway.  But we actually had people, on this fan page, who called for JD to be fired because the scrap heap kicker he signed missed two field goals in the first game of the season a month after he had been on the job.  Can you not see how ridiculous this is?

And for the record: Yes, I supported Mike Mccagnan.  I said the same thing then as I do now: a GM, especially a rookie one, needs 4-5 years.  He got 5 years.  He failed, and deserved to be fired. Hence why we have JD.  JD should probably get 5-6 years, as he was hired after they let Mccagnan draft in 2019.  You either have to give a rookie GM a chance, or stop hiring rookie GM's.  If Jets fans don't like it, it might be best to watch another team for awhile until the ship gets corrected, because it will get worse still before it gets better.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I honestly wish I knew JD's thought process behind his management of the QB position. I'll even pay for the hamster food since the little guy will need to work overtime to give us the answer.

Why Don't My Brothers Stay Active? | Updates from the Road

Not just the QB position.

He has a total blind spot for TE and place kicker as well.

Notice how our latest wunderkind kicker is missing fgs now?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Blake Bortles, Cam Newton, Hell, James Morgan. He had a choice

 

Newton is trash bro.  He also was refusing the vaccine until 2 days ago. I hate JD and think he should have been fired already but I’m not holding that on him

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Sellis92 said:

The mistake was drafting Wilson at all

Kyle Pitts is already arguably the league’s second best TE after 7 weeks

Again, if you are such a great talent evaluator, perhaps you should quit this job that you have and go work as a pro scout who can advise a GM of the next Peyton Manning, because this league has become one in which one position makes or breaks every team.

Just be forewarned that hindsight is not possible as you do said job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

This very well may be true. But that would only work if we didn’t draft a QB early and didn’t keep Sam. They would have to have balls the size Mack Trucks to take a TE at 2 and then bring a vet in. Not sure it’s anything anyone would do until they could tell Kyle Pitts could become  the next Antonio Gates and not the next Vernon Davis. Vernon Davis was slated to change the League as well and ended up a pretty nice player. No front office was doing that, but yeah, knowing what we know it would certainly be better than this. 

Jets clearly need to stop with the "all eggs in one basket" QB philosophy. Like they are afraid to "hurt his psyche" to bring in a legit QB2.

For God's sakes, hedge a little bit. Bring in a young(ish) vet with upside and draft a QB. Jets history has proven all or nothing always results in nothing. The one time we tried this (Bridge and Darnold), Macc outsmarted himself by trading away Teddy before the season for an "easy return" of a draft pick that I'm sure he used to draft garbage later.

No excuse for a Trubisky/Minshew type not to be on this roster. None accept JD's arrogant incompetence.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

During training camp, we all sat here stunned/incredulous when our backup QB plans were Morgan and White.  Then, to correct this idiocy, JD releases Morgan and signs Josh Johnson.   Done.  Fixed.

Am I safe to go out and limb and say JD may be a bad evaluator of the QB position...aka the most important position in todays NFL

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Again, if you are such a great talent evaluator, perhaps you should quit this job that you have and go work as a pro scout who can advise a GM of the next Peyton Manning, because this league has become one in which one position makes or breaks every team.

Just be forewarned that hindsight is not possible as you do said job.

An empty Powerade bottle can evaluate talent better than our last 3 GMs

 

And it’s not hindsight.  I warned you guys that Wilson wasn’t good and got called a retard

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sellis92 said:

Look even if you hated Sam, there were other qbs available like Carson Wentz and Mitch Trubisky

 

The point is the roster is still bad, better than what Sam had his entire tenure here but still bad.  

Sam would be just as bad with us as he is with Carolina. None of that matters honestly, nobody was taking a right end at two unless they had a solid to above average QB in the gold already. Even then I’d imagine trading down few spots then taking Pitts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

He has made two drafts, one of which during a season where they couldn't actually scout players.

This is a new one....2020 draft excuse misses is on Covid....Like the other 31 teams didnt have the same exact issue. 

Ok

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Jets clearly need to stop with the "all eggs in one basket" QB philosophy. Like they are afraid to "hurt his psyche" to bring in a legit QB2.

For God's sakes, hedge a little bit. Bring in a young(ish) vet with upside and draft a QB. Jets history has proven all or nothing always results in nothing. The one time we tried this (Bridge and Darnold), Macc outsmarted himself by trading away Teddy before the season for an "easy return" of a draft pick that I'm sure he used to draft garbage later.

No excuse for a Trubisky/Minshew type not to be on this roster. None accept JD's arrogance incompetence.

Not sure how you got to here but Ive said this before so I obviously agree. I think not having a veteran back up was pretty much most egregious thing the front office did. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Blake Bortles, Cam Newton, Hell, James Morgan. He had a choice

 

Sure, he had a choice then....he doesn't now. 

Do I think it was a good idea?  No.  I would have preferred to sign the best vet that was out there...possibly even two, and relegate Wilson to where I thought he should have started the year; holding a clipboard.  Time and time again we see this in the NFL.  Bad teams draft QB's in the hopes they will change the direction of a franchise.  In the vast majority of cases, they fail.  But they may have had a chance if they were given time to learn the pro game.  Perhaps that is why you see better success in pro baseball and hockey when it comes to drafts; players actually get to learn at the professional level before making the leap to the big leagues.  The NFL is a cruel fickle bitch.  If you aren't Peyton Manning within the first year, most fans want to move on.  

IF JD fails (too soon to say), I would suggest he would be added to the LONG list of GM's who have failed because of how the QB situation was handled.  We are so desperate to find the next Joe Willy, but we continually throw the prospects in shark-infested waters and hope they can figure out how to survive on their own.  Mind-boggling really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not just the QB position.

He has a total blind spot for TE and place kicker as well.

Notice how our latest wunderkind kicker is missing fgs now?

Yep, lot of evidence building that JD is a bust. QB is just (to me) the most glaring obvious and easiest to avoid with all the competent QB2s available this off season for a song. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This is a new one....2020 draft excuse misses is on Covid....Like the other 31 teams didnt have the same exact issue. 

Ok

Its not an excuse, its a fact for all 32 teams.  The whole draft was a crap shoot for every team.  Sorry you can't figure that out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Not sure how you got to here but Ive said this before so I obviously agree. I think not having a veteran back up was pretty much most egregious thing the front office did. 

It was like watching a piano falling in slow motion and screaming for JD to jump aside but BAM! Now here we are.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...