Jets Trade for Flacco

SR24

3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Its not an excuse, its a fact for all 32 teams.  The whole draft was a crap shoot for every team.  Sorry you can't figure that out.

Which is exactly why you hedge -- especially at QB -- with a vet of some sort. The type of vet influenced by your current situation. For example:

-Contender: Steady hand JAG who won't kill you with mistakes.

-Re-builder: Youngish reclamation project with at least hypothetical upside.

If you want a mentor for a rookie, hire a ******* QB coach.

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Its not an excuse, its a fact for all 32 teams.  The whole draft was a crap shoot for every team.  Sorry you can't figure that out.

No it wasn't. They all had tape, stop. Its not like they never played before March 2020.....the combine is stupid anyway, at this point for fans

17 hours ago, SR24 said:

I have thought about this move from many angles and none of them make any sense. The only one that does is that JD was sent by the NFL, or some other powerful cabal, to intentionally sabotage the Jets and keep them as the laughing stock that they've always been.

16 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Yes, nothing wrong with auditioning QBs rather then die a slow death with a new rookie QB every 3 years. 

Do both at the same time. Signing Trubisky for even 50% more than Bills paid him (so $3.75M) or trading a 6th rounder for Minshew wouldn't have required sacrificing anything else JD wanted to do present or future with the roster.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Do both at the same time. Signing Trubisky for even 50% more than Bills paid him (so $3.75M) or trading a 6th rounder for Minshew wouldn't have required sacrificing anything else JD wanted to do present or future with the roster.

JD would never do this because he would signal maybe he doesnt have full confidence in his pick. I swear to god, alot of GMs are more concerned in their image and legacy then on their fiduciary duty to do whats right for the team. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Again, if you are such a great talent evaluator, perhaps you should quit this job that you have and go work as a pro scout who can advise a GM of the next Peyton Manning, because this league has become one in which one position makes or breaks every team.

Just be forewarned that hindsight is not possible as you do said job.

This argument always 100% falls flat on its ass with the jets.  The simple fact is that our last two gms before this one, if you took joe fan from this site and had them draft the results would have been 100 times better.

So far Douglas is trending down the same path.

His treatment of the QB situation is indefensible.

24 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Blake Bortles, Cam Newton, Hell, James Morgan. He had a choice

Flacco is here to give JD a little cover from criticism while representing a very low likelihood (so JD thinks) of creating a QB controversy. JD chose him specifically because he sucks but is also defensible on paper. Gutless.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

This argument always 100% falls flat on its ass with the jets.  The simple fact is that our last two gms before this one, if you took joe fan from this site and had them draft the results would have been 100 times better.

So far Douglas is trending down the same path.

His treatment of the QB situation is indefensible.

Should I attach the resume here, or is that becoming redundant?  

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

JD would never do this because he would signal maybe he doesnt have full confidence in his pick. I swear to god, alot of GMs are more concerned in their image and legacy then on their fiduciary duty to do whats right for the team. 

Yes I agree this is why. And I also agree this is totally idiotic.

13 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Sure, he had a choice then....he doesn't now. 

Do I think it was a good idea?  No.  I would have preferred to sign the best vet that was out there...possibly even two, and relegate Wilson to where I thought he should have started the year; holding a clipboard.  Time and time again we see this in the NFL.  Bad teams draft QB's in the hopes they will change the direction of a franchise.  In the vast majority of cases, they fail.  But they may have had a chance if they were given time to learn the pro game.  Perhaps that is why you see better success in pro baseball and hockey when it comes to drafts; players actually get to learn at the professional level before making the leap to the big leagues.  The NFL is a cruel fickle bitch.  If you aren't Peyton Manning within the first year, most fans want to move on.  

IF JD fails (too soon to say), I would suggest he would be added to the LONG list of GM's who have failed because of how the QB situation was handled.  We are so desperate to find the next Joe Willy, but we continually throw the prospects in shark-infested waters and hope they can figure out how to survive on their own.  Mind-boggling really.

I don't disagree with this but my point is Flacco was possibly the worst option because he cost the team draft picks and it is embarrassing  because he was here and this is an admission  that we screwed up not keeping him here.

New HC, New OC , new Oline Coach and blocking scheme , many rookies on both sides of the ball. 

This is the reason why Zach needed to start from day 1.  It made no sense to bring in a Vet in the offseason to learn a new offense along with the rest of the team when they all were able to mesh and grow together with Zach.  I don't care what HOF QB's sat the bench before they played this was the absolute right call. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

I agree with this JGB.  Playing armchair GM, and without knowing all that JD knew, I would have signed Trubisky, or one of the other available QB's, with the understanding that they would compete (and likely win) the starting job, putting Wilson where I thought he belonged: on the bench.   

BUT....this is the thing about playing armchair GM.  We have no idea of what goes on behind the scenes.  Maybe there was an effort to get someone here, but the NFL has a history of teams starting high QB draft picks.  So, a guy like Minshew or Trubisky may not want to come here knowing they really have no shot at starting.  Unless of course you give them a ridiculous amount of money, which I think we all can see what problem that would create, and has created, for us in the past.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Flacco is here to give JD a little cover from criticism while representing a very low likelihood (so JD thinks) of creating a QB controversy. JD chose him specifically because he sucks but is also defensible on paper. Gutless.

He cost a draft pick and if he was smart enough to retain him, he would have cost nothing but the money to resign him. It is freaking embarrassing.

12 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

No, I criticize armchair GM's who continually bitch and whine about every move by a rookie GM.  If you want to call that being a snob, so be it.

If you want to hire a new GM, you are probably looking at a minimum of three years to see what kind of fruit the tree bears, if any at all.  Every expert worth listening to says you need three years to judge a draft   So why is it there are, continually, a bunch of fans who want our GM du jour fired after a season or two?  Like that is a recipe for success that every team has followed....never.

If you have a rookie GM, you are probably looking at longer....more like five years as they learn on the fly.  Sucks to be the team that continually hires rookie GM's, who then have to turn around and hire rookie coaches who also have to learn on the fly.  But the team is to blame and in part, so are the fans.  When people put up billboards that ask for a rookie GM to be fired after two seasons, and ownership caves, that is on them.  NO GM with any success will touch a job knowing they could be run out of town if things don't miraculously work out after a season or two. 

JD has made some great moves.  He has fleeced teams for draft picks.  He has made two drafts, one of which during a season where they couldn't actually scout players.  So many fans have asked for a 'build through the draft' mentality, abandoning the F/A spending which has bared no fruit...for this team anyway.  But we actually had people, on this fan page, who called for JD to be fired because the scrap heap kicker he signed missed two field goals in the first game of the season a month after he had been on the job.  Can you not see how ridiculous this is?

And for the record: Yes, I supported Mike Mccagnan.  I said the same thing then as I do now: a GM, especially a rookie one, needs 4-5 years.  He got 5 years.  He failed, and deserved to be fired. Hence why we have JD.  JD should probably get 5-6 years, as he was hired after they let Mccagnan draft in 2019.  You either have to give a rookie GM a chance, or stop hiring rookie GM's.  If Jets fans don't like it, it might be best to watch another team for awhile until the ship gets corrected, because it will get worse still before it gets better.

I agree with you on the three year idea, but not so much on 5-6.  Mac should have been fired after three years, if for no other reason than his awful ignoring of the OL in his drafting, which continued for 5 drafts, IIRC. And his bad overpay to move up in the 1st round, then drafting Darnold, then drafting a DL with his next pick after that. 

Yes, JD should get one more year to sign FA and draft, but I think there needs to be real progress for him to be retained beyond that.  He absolutely should have signed a quality vet FA QB to at least mentor Wilson, and even to compete and maybe start a few games while Wilson sat and learned.  Wilson's injury has forced JD to do what he should have done earlier.  Giving up a 6th rounder is fine by me b/c the one thing JD does well is stockpile picks.  He need only trade down a bit somewhere (which he has already shown a fondness for doing) to recoup that pick or even get an earlier one.  The Jets are loaded for the 2022 draft as is.

JD's first draft was "a little bit of everything", which to me was a mistake.  He should have double dipped in the third round on OL and WR, instead of taking shots on talented but questionable guys (Zuniga was a giant red flag). I said that at the time of the draft, so not just hindsight  Davis at least in playing now, but the 3-4 round picks look bad already, and the first two picks are talented but having trouble staying on the field. He should be drafting three OL per year until they have a very good line. You're not going to hit on all picks, so draft for depth where you typically dress 9 guys for each game.

He also should be drafting for depth at OL instead of just one guy a year and then JAG free agents. This past draft, he grabs AVT in the first, then no more OL.  So, he was happy with what he had on the OL, and even last year we all knew what a weak link Van Roten is.  And there's no young OL with upside on the roster. 

Hopefully he will learn and get better.  Yes, he should get another year. I totally expected the Jets to stink this year, lose lots of games, but these last 2 games have had the team regressing rather than improving. They just no-showed after a bye week.  That's very concerning.

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

JD would never do this because he would signal maybe he doesn't have full confidence in his pick. I swear to god, alot of GMs are more concerned in their image and legacy than on their fiduciary duty to do whats right for the team. 

They might also be worried about losing their job, and admitting you screw up might play a part in that.  I think Steve Keim gets major kudos for having the stones to draft Murray with a 1st overall one year after drafting Josh Rosen 1st overall.  Give ownership kudos for letting it happen as well.  Rosen was a mistake.  Moved on one year later, and look how that worked out.  But you are right; you gotta swallow that pride and just move on from it.  

5 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I agree with this JGB.  Playing armchair GM, and without knowing all that JD knew, I would have signed Trubisky, or one of the other available QB's, with the understanding that they would compete (and likely win) the starting job, putting Wilson where I thought he belonged: on the bench.   

BUT....this is the thing about playing armchair GM.  We have no idea of what goes on behind the scenes.  Maybe there was an effort to get someone here, but the NFL has a history of teams starting high QB draft picks.  So, a guy like Minshew or Trubisky may not want to come here knowing they really have no shot at starting.  Unless of course you give them a ridiculous amount of money, which I think we all can see what problem that would create, and has created, for us in the past.  

Minshew was traded -- he didn't get a veto. Trubisky is a fair point. He controlled his destination.

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

I’d rather them play Johnson for the 2-4 games or Mike White. They’re 1-5 heading toward 1-8 or 2-7 at best why even make the move at this point?? You preached a youth movement all year but now it’s time to bring Flacco in? What’s Zach going to learn from Flacco at this point? Flacco has played 8 games in this scheme in Denver and was garbage. If this team was like 3-3 or 2-4 sure make a move and try to win a few games but at this point it just doesn’t make sense to me. Maybe if Joe D is gonna ship out Crowder and force them to play Moore inside and Mims out wide? You can sell me on at least trying to develop the WRs but unless that happens this is a dumb move 

I mean Johnson is only 1 year younger than Flacco, not sure I'd consider that a youth movement.

I don't love the Flacco move but I think you have a better chance of knowing who LaFleur is with Flacco than Johnson or White. LaFleur is the piece for me I'm most concerned with.

So here’s the positive spin from a glass is half full type of person.

JD made a mistake not getting a veteran backup and it cost him a 6th (possibly a 5th). Worse mistakes have been made. Although this was an unforced error.

But here’s my spin, Joe Douglas is feeling the heat. This, I think could be a good thing even if he stays on board. Knowing that he is on the hot seat will force Joe Douglas to be aggressive in FA. He doesn’t come off as the type of guy who would be reckless. However, he NEEDS to be more aggressive. We’re not getting out of this mess with draft picks and penny pinching in FA. We need to sign top guys even if it means overspending by 1 or 2 million.

Hopefully this will light a fire under him and increase the level urgency in the building. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I agree with you on the three year idea, but not so much on 5-6.  Mac should have been fired after three years, if for no other reason than his awful ignoring of the OL in his drafting, which continued for 5 drafts, IIRC. And his bad overpay to move up in the 1st round, then drafting Darnold, then drafting a DL with his next pick after that. 

Yes, JD should get one more year to sign FA and draft, but I think there needs to be real progress for him to be retained beyond that.  He absolutely should have signed a quality vet FA QB to at least mentor Wilson, and even to compete and maybe start a few games while Wilson sat and learned.  Wilson's injury has forced JD to do what he should have done earlier.  Giving up a 6th rounder is fine by me b/c the one thing JD does well is stockpile picks.  He need only trade down a bit somewhere (which he has already shown a fondness for doing) to recoup that pick or even get an earlier one.  The Jets are loaded for the 2022 draft as is.

JD's first draft was "a little bit of everything", which to me was a mistake.  He should have double dipped in the third round on OL and WR, instead of taking shots on talented but questionable guys (Zuniga was a giant red flag). I said that at the time of the draft, so not just hindsight  Davis at least in playing now, but the 3-4 round picks look bad already, and the first two picks are talented but having trouble staying on the field. He should be drafting three OL per year until they have a very good line. You're not going to hit on all picks, so draft for depth where you typically dress 9 guys for each game.

He also should be drafting for depth at OL instead of just one guy a year and then JAG free agents. This past draft, he grabs AVT in the first, then no more OL.  So, he was happy with what he had on the OL, and even last year we all knew what a weak link Van Roten is.  And there's no young OL with upside on the roster. 

Hopefully he will learn and get better.  Yes, he should get another year. I totally expected the Jets to stink this year, lose lots of games, but these last 2 games have had the team regressing rather than improving. They just no-showed after a bye week.  That's very concerning.

Fair assessment Clashfan.  My guess is he probably didn't want to triple dip on the OL in the first draft.  Remember, we did draft Cameron Clark as a development player as well.  He also signed a bunch of OL, but they all didn't work out.   I don't get how Roten has fallen off a cliff, but it happens.   I actually like our WR core, but how Mims has been handled is dumbfounding, and Moore isn't getting targeted.  Wilson seems locked too much onto Davis.  I believe Davis' drops might be part of that; too much pressure to be THE guy on the team when it was suppose to be an even distribution given the talent.   

I think we have players in Fant, Becton, and Tucker.  I think we should be signing either two starting guards or one and a center, and then drafting the other position we don't sign.   My idea of 5-6 years is ideal, but in reality and today's NFL, it probably won't happen.  But I think he gets 2023 as well, since his first season was more managing the roster he inherited rather than actually doing anything to make it his.  

I didn't think it would happen, but DWC called it; first four picks this year on offence.  Tucker is working out, and I think Moore and Carter have talent, but are being completely stifled by bad O-line play.  I just have no clue on how to judge Wilson.  He seems to ooze talent, but he looks awful.  Is it the fact he has talent but isn't ready for the NFL, is it the bad team around him, is it coaching, or does he have talent but is just not good enough for the NFL?  No clue.  

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Sellis92 said:

I really triggered you by bringing up your defending Macagnan eh?

Not at all.  It was moronic, considering the number of times I have openly stated Mac deserved to be fired.  Cherry-picking is great, if you are actually a fruit picker by trade. 

58 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

No, I criticize armchair GM's who continually bitch and whine about every move by a rookie GM.  If you want to call that being a snob, so be it.

If you want to hire a new GM, you are probably looking at a minimum of three years to see what kind of fruit the tree bears, if any at all.  Every expert worth listening to says you need three years to judge a draft   So why is it there are, continually, a bunch of fans who want our GM du jour fired after a season or two?  Like that is a recipe for success that every team has followed....never.

If you have a rookie GM, you are probably looking at longer....more like five years as they learn on the fly.  Sucks to be the team that continually hires rookie GM's, who then have to turn around and hire rookie coaches who also have to learn on the fly.  But the team is to blame and in part, so are the fans.  When people put up billboards that ask for a rookie GM to be fired after two seasons, and ownership caves, that is on them.  NO GM with any success will touch a job knowing they could be run out of town if things don't miraculously work out after a season or two. 

JD has made some great moves.  He has fleeced teams for draft picks.  He has made two drafts, one of which during a season where they couldn't actually scout players.  So many fans have asked for a 'build through the draft' mentality, abandoning the F/A spending which has bared no fruit...for this team anyway.  But we actually had people, on this fan page, who called for JD to be fired because the scrap heap kicker he signed missed two field goals in the first game of the season a month after he had been on the job.  Can you not see how ridiculous this is?

And for the record: Yes, I supported Mike Mccagnan.  I said the same thing then as I do now: a GM, especially a rookie one, needs 4-5 years.  He got 5 years.  He failed, and deserved to be fired. Hence why we have JD.  JD should probably get 5-6 years, as he was hired after they let Mccagnan draft in 2019.  You either have to give a rookie GM a chance, or stop hiring rookie GM's.  If Jets fans don't like it, it might be best to watch another team for awhile until the ship gets corrected, because it will get worse still before it gets better.

Please point to the rebuilds that took 5-6 years in the NFL... if you aren't succeeding in year 3 then it's dead. 

Year 1 - Teardown

Year 2 - Feisty, but losing

Year 3 - Playoffs

Even saying this is year 2 for Douglas because he was brought in late.. they certainly don't look Feisty and like they're setting up for the playoffs next season. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Except all that means is that, potentially, instead of JD not even bothering to try to come up with a solution, he actually tried and just completely failed with every single available option across the entirety of the NFL, including the very guy they previously had and now traded for.  At that point, it simply becomes a question of how exactly this was a miserable failure, as it still is one regardless.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I mean Johnson is only 1 year younger than Flacco, not sure I'd consider that a youth movement.

I don't love the Flacco move but I think you have a better chance of knowing who LaFleur is with Flacco than Johnson or White. LaFleur is the piece for me I'm most concerned with.

Yeah he’s only a year younger but he’s already on the roster and is more mobile than Flacco. Idk how Joe D watches GVR get punished for 6 straight weeks and does nothing, yet trades for an old QB after a half of Mike White football. After spending the whole off season saying they believe in Mike White. That’s my biggest issue with the trade, there has to be some IOL who could be had for a pick that could replace GVR.

• Upvote 1

Flacco, while not great, is better than Mike White. And he does what Zach has struggled with early in his career. Flacco takes the easy throws but can pop a deep ball every now and then.

Im not expecting wins, but Zach can learn something from Flacco. Watching a veteran guy take what the defense gives him will hopefully open Zach’s eyes a bit.

More of the optimistic view stuff.

54 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

This is my schtick!  

We have a really low chance to ever get a veteran leader.  We could have had McCarthy but we're too cheap and stupid.  So we go round and round with rookies and after they become experienced on our dime, we fire them.

JD is the only experienced GM we can hope to have at this point, so let's keep him.  He has to get better.  We need continuity.

Saleh needs to be shown the ******* door though. No more rookie defensive-minded head coaches.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Fair assessment Clashfan.  My guess is he probably didn't want to triple dip on the OL in the first draft.  Remember, we did draft Cameron Clark as a development player as well.  He also signed a bunch of OL, but they all didn't work out.   I don't get how Roten has fallen off a cliff, but it happens.   I actually like our WR core, but how Mims has been handled is dumbfounding, and Moore isn't getting targeted.  Wilson seems locked too much onto Davis.  I believe Davis' drops might be part of that; too much pressure to be THE guy on the team when it was suppose to be an even distribution given the talent.   

I think we have players in Fant, Becton, and Tucker.  I think we should be signing either two starting guards or one and a center, and then drafting the other position we don't sign.   My idea of 5-6 years is ideal, but in reality and today's NFL, it probably won't happen.  But I think he gets 2023 as well, since his first season was more managing the roster he inherited rather than actually doing anything to make it his.  

I didn't think it would happen, but DWC called it; first four picks this year on offence.  Tucker is working out, and I think Moore and Carter have talent, but are being completely stifled by bad O-line play.  I just have no clue on how to judge Wilson.  He seems to ooze talent, but he looks awful.  Is it the fact he has talent but isn't ready for the NFL, is it the bad team around him, is it coaching, or does he have talent but is just not good enough for the NFL?  No clue.  

Clarke not playing a single snap last year was a concern.  The OL was inconsistent and had injuries, yet he didn't even get a late season look, which suggests that he was a big disappointment and not likely to unseat Van Roten. I and other were crying for JD to draft an interior OL in last year's draft from the 2nd round out, certainly by about the 5 round. Instead, he went on his DB/small LB spree.

I'm a big fan of drafting the core of the OL, and I think LT and C are the essential spots to have a stud. The Jets need to draft a C early (1s round...get the best one in this upcoming draft) and move McGovern to RG.  Fant is a good pass blocker, but his run blocking appears to be awful.  The Jets can do better....draft another OT early (2nd or 3rd round), also, to compete with Fant and Becton, assuming Fant is resigned.  

I'd say just build around Wilson for next year, then see what happens.  If he flops, at least they've built some decent OL talent for the next guy. An even bigger concern is Saleh.  Is the guy gonna improve, or is he already a huge bust?

18 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

But I think he gets 2023 as well, since his first season was more managing the roster he inherited rather than actually doing anything to make it his.  

It’s simple math knowing our ownership 

JD got a 6 year deal....so he’s seeing at least 4 of those years....they’re not paying 2 GMs for a long stretch 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

It's incredible that he went into the season with what he had as QB2. I just can't even believe it that a professional sports GM could be so completely incompetent. We will laugh about it for years as a legendary Jets blunder.

Another Jets GM who fans know better than. Add him to the Wall of Shame. 

Clearly he didn't see this possible future, when he should have.  

As you know I was wrong on that "no vet backup" too, but I expected two backups on the roster (White and Morgan), and would have wanted to see Morgan play now (dumb, I am aware).  And I didn't want to see a Brian Hoyer-type playing (still don't).  If we going to suck, I wanted it to be with the "kids with upside".

My concern all along was signing a Trubisky or Minshew would be too much temptation for a rookie head coach, a la running back last year under Gase, and Wilson would be stuck sitting.  In hindsight, clearly, he probably should have sat....a problem itself, because the #2 pick should never have to sit ffs.

Of course I wanted Fields or Jones, so yeah, who knows.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Clearly he didn't see this possible future, when he should have.  

As you know I was wrong on that "no vet backup" too, but I expected two backups on the roster (White and Morgan), and would have wanted to see Morgan play now (dumb, I am aware).  And I didn't want to see a Brian Hoyer-type playing (still don't).  If we going to suck, I wanted it to be with the "kids with upside".

My concern all along was signing a Trubisky or Minshew would be too much temptation for a rookie head coach, a la running back last year under Gase, and Wilson would be stuck sitting.  In hindsight, clearly, he probably should have sat....a problem itself, because the #2 pick should never have to sit ffs.

Of course I wanted Fields or Jones, so yeah, who knows.

I had Lawrence, Fields/Jones (tie) then Wilson with no opinion on Lance (I literally knew nothing about him, they don't show North Dakota State games in Germany).

36 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Yeah he’s only a year younger but he’s already on the roster and is more mobile than Flacco. Idk how Joe D watches GVR get punished for 6 straight weeks and does nothing, yet trades for an old QB after a half of Mike White football. After spending the whole off season saying they believe in Mike White. That’s my biggest issue with the trade, there has to be some IOL who could be had for a pick that could replace GVR.

They may be exploring a trade for a G, deadline isn't until the 2nd. I think they just believe Flacco is a better QB than Johnson. Them saying they believe in Mike White is just GM/Coach speak IMO.

Unfortunately Guard is an area I think we attack in FA/draft this year. I'm not aware of any Gs that may be on the trade block.