We drafted Demario Davis and had him again!

6 hours ago, Pac said:

Hand picked Rex selection. 

Also Rex went 8-8 with Geno Smith and a roster several orders of magnitude worse than the Seahawks have.

Sooner or later even the staunchest Rex haters are going to have to come to the realization that he was a pretty damn good coach.

Rex was easily the best HC in the last 20 years. Prob put herm next 

Not even close 

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

His tenure in Buffalo and inability to get so much as an interview for the U of Miami job should have solidified this for 100 % of Jets fans.  

5 years since the guy has had a job and we still have people pining for him. 

Could you imagine Rex as a college HC especially on a team like UM? He’d be all over the news every day and the team would be an undisciplined mess. 

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

His tenure in Buffalo and inability to get so much as an interview for the U of Miami job should have solidified this for 100 % of Jets fans.  

Maybe because what has come after has been much worse. I mean, in the public eye Saleh looks worse.than Gase, or at the very least on track to be.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not that I have any over the top love for Rex but the U of Miami isnt the NFL and a college HC and NFL HC are two different gigs.  

Two things on this thread.  First Demario Davis ended up being good and is a good lesson that some players take time to develop.   Most fans hated him when he was on the Jets his first go around.  Second on the Rex thing.   I am a believer that most coaches (not all) are the same.   There isn’t a whole lot of difference between coaches, but the players matter more.   Jets had good players when Rex first got to the Jets.   I believe Mangini would have had the same success if he stuck around with the same players.   For most coaches I look for their in game management.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Most fans hated him when he was on the Jets his first go around.

Very true....

However he was very good in his 2nd stint and Mac still let him walk....replaced him with Avery Williamson...

In our current switch to a 4-3, he would have been a monster next to Mosley. Hindsight I know but still lol 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Very true....

However he was very good in his 2nd stint and Mac still let him walk....replaced him with Avery Williamson...

In our current switch to a 4-3, he would have been a monster next to Mosley. Hindsight I know but still lol 

Yeah he was and that’s on Mac.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Demario Davis was a great draft pick from a smallish college.  But as we are seeing, LBs are not created equal-they have to fit a system.  DD did not fit a 3-4 system.  We watched him get burned on wheel routes and get run over regularly.  In a chase defense he is great.   Same story with Vilma and Farrior (the other way around).  The Jets need to draft players that fit their system.  

Hamsah and Sherwood fit the Jets system.   It was stretch to play either year 1 because they need a year of weight training to bulk up for LB.  Hopefully Sherwood can get well and come back and compete next year after tearing his Achilles.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We shouldn’t look back on that with whimsy.  We should be looking back with anger because we didn’t win a division title or go to the SB with a loaded roster and have sucked for a decade, with Rex being a huge reason that roster fell apart. 

The Jets’ bad history doesn’t make Rex Ryan a good coach retroactively.  It just shows how bad the Jets are and that we deserve a lot better than someone like Rex Ryan.  

The problem Rex had was he wanted to be the King here. If he had a competent GM that kept him in his place, and knew how to pick players, I believe Rex might have achieved something here. We did witness what he did with all of Mangini's players until they started letting them go and picking bad players under Tanny and Idzik.

Mangini had Tanny under control, but Rex didn't, cause we all know Tanny wasn't picking the players.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Pac said:

Also Rex went 8-8 with Geno Smith and a roster several orders of magnitude worse than the Seahawks have.

Sooner or later even the staunchest Rex haters are going to have to come to the realization that he was a pretty damn good coach.

i will give rex some credit for being a dyed in the wool jet guy. he grew up with the team when his dad was the defensive coach.  but also influenced some pretty iffy draft decisions and then feuded with idzik.  i'm not sure why tanny was launched.  could've been tebow or it could've been holmes.  it didn't seem like rex did too much to try and keep him.

6 hours ago, JiFapono said:

You have to feel somewhat bad for Shane, he downgraded from @dbatesman who is a total catch and had to settle for 80 and well, we know what that is.

Shane lost dbatesman with his Gase love.  Which I must admit does still bother me.  Especially since Shane aligns himself with SAR I on those takes.  That's an even more disgusting alliance than you and Pac.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

i will give rex some credit for being a dyed in the wool jet guy. he grew up with the team when his dad was the defensive coach.  but also influenced some pretty iffy draft decisions and then feuded with idzik.  i'm not sure why tanny was launched.  could've been tebow or it could've been holmes.  it didn't seem like rex did too much to try and keep him.

No matter what people try to argue to the contrary, Tannenbaum was always heavily influenced by his HC when making his offseason decisions.  You can't be that way if you're going to be a successful GM.  You have to be willing and able to overrule your HC when its in the franchise's best interests.  And its not like Tannenbaum had much success in Miami afterwards, either. 

He wasn't a terrible GM but he wasn't a good one, either.  He deserved to get axed, it just shouldn't have been Rex Ryan that got to make him be the scapegoat.  And the franchise shouldn't have been saddled with the likes of Mike Maccagnan in a subsequent GM hire.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And then what happened?

Also, this take is confusing because you also think Geno is good.  How is going 8-8 and getting outscored by 97 points on the season with a good QB a positive for Rex Ryan?  

Demario Davis is the only ex-Jet player, coach or GM anyone should wish we still had at this point. 

Recently, yes. But Belichick / Pete Carroll have to be added to that list if we're talking active players/coaches.

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Umm, I like Parcells.

Other than that there haven’t been much in the way of successful players or coaches since.  Nearly 2 decades without a home playoff game.  I remember the ‘98 and ‘02 home playoff games fondly, as I was lucky enough to be in attendance.  Those were fun.  I’d like to get back to that.  I don’t care to revise history so much that I trick myself into thinking much of anyone else since was any good.  It’s bad enough that Herm Edwards had the most successful seasons (3 playoff appearances, 1 division title) of any Jets coach since 2000.  That’s just sad.

We all can’t get behind the likes of Geno Smith or Sam Darnold like you do.  It’s truly a gift to delude oneself into thinking those are good QBs.  And ignoring Rex Ryan’s history from 2011-present to view him as anything other than a clown show is a waste of emotional attachment.

Fans like Pac are the Johnsons' wet dream. Pun intended.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

I don't recall anyone here crying when they let Davis walk.

You remember posts from nearly 4 years ago?

It certainly seems people were happy when we brought back in 2017:

And people were indeed upset we let him go:

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/145673-5-players-the-new-york-jets-should-have-never-let-get-away/?tab=comments#comment-4133403

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No matter what people try to argue to the contrary, Tannenbaum was always heavily influenced by his HC when making his offseason decisions.  You can't be that way if you're going to be a successful GM.  You have to be willing and able to overrule your HC when its in the franchise's best interests.  And its not like Tannenbaum had much success in Miami afterwards, either. 

He wasn't a terrible GM but he wasn't a good one, either.  He deserved to get axed, it just shouldn't have been Rex Ryan that got to make him be the scapegoat.  And the franchise shouldn't have been saddled with the likes of Mike Maccagnan in a subsequent GM hire.

makes sense.  rex needed a leash and tanny didn't have the talent acumen to draft and trade for the right players.  think about all the first round misses the rex/tanny show had.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You remember posts from nearly 4 years ago?

It certainly seems people were happy when we brought back in 2017:

And people were indeed upset we let him go:

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/145673-5-players-the-new-york-jets-should-have-never-let-get-away/?tab=comments#comment-4133403

You literally linked a post where a majority of posters where more then happy to lose Davis due to his age, salary demands and the promise of a better player in Avery Williamson.

Then there's this thread....(same sentiments) 

This thread....(same sentiments)

Then of course you seemed to be ok with the swap of Davis for Williamson in this thread about the general state of free agency in 2018 (other than bringing back Uncle Josh)

22 hours ago, Pac said:

He was a pretty damn good DC. 

23 hours ago, Pac said:

Rex finally picked a good one. Unfortunately for us, for every Demario Davis he picked, there were 5 more Conners, Calvin Pryors, and Coples  ?

Rex Ryan went to two straight AFC championship games. Played the best teams in those runs- at their prime - lost to manning then beat him. Then Brady. Using genius defenses. He didn't play fluke teams. Twice, one game from the sb. With Sanchez.

People are delusional. We would die for that kind of success and drama and consequence. Are you all literally joking? What coach In NYJ history took us 2 consecutive afccg? With Mark fricking Sanchez? Parcells didn't do that. Herm didn't do that. Manginididn't come close. 

Ray Ryan did that. Stop playing games. Rr is literally peak 21st century Jets. And a top 2 jets HC all time based on performance and results. Again, what he did was against prime Manning and Brady and BB. Those Jets - Colts games were purely Manning v Ryan. He is a legend. Yeah, he had bluster. Time to recognize what he was though.

20 hours ago, Beaver said:

Two things on this thread.  First Demario Davis ended up being good and is a good lesson that some players take time to develop.   Most fans hated him when he was on the Jets his first go around.  Second on the Rex thing.   I am a believer that most coaches (not all) are the same.   There isn’t a whole lot of difference between coaches, but the players matter more.   Jets had good players when Rex first got to the Jets.   I believe Mangini would have had the same success if he stuck around with the same players.   For most coaches I look for their in game management.   

shocked will ferrell GIF by Anchorman Movie

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Vader said:

Rex Ryan went to two straight AFC championship games. Played the best teams in those runs- at their prime - lost to manning then beat him. Then Brady. Using genius defenses. He didn't play fluke teams. Twice, one game from the sb. With Sanchez.

People are delusional. We would die for that kind of success and drama and consequence. Are you all literally joking? What coach In NYJ history took us 2 consecutive afccg? With Mark fricking Sanchez? Parcells didn't do that. Herm didn't do that. Manginididn't come close. 

Ray Ryan did that. Stop playing games. Rr is literally peak 21st century Jets. And a top 2 jets HC all time based on performance and results. Again, what he did was against prime Manning and Brady and BB. Those Jets - Colts games were purely Manning v Ryan. He is a legend. Yeah, he had bluster. Time to recognize what he was though.

IIRC Mangini made it to one playoff game and got smoked.