I can have us in the playoffs next year with what JD is sitting on…

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

The team is a mess because JD made it a mess.....now granted we have draft capital. 

He needs to 100 percent hit on these 2022 picks. Some of our gripes have been do you trust him with that many picks? He's a very averageish drafter. He cant be average in 22, he needs to draft well. 

Agreed.  Prior to JD’s first draft in 2020 I said he needs to have 2 out of his first 3 drafts be well above average for this thing to get going.  The roster was just so bad and void of talent that without really good drafts this thing is going to stall and not get off the ground.  This 2022 draft is critical for JD. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The team is a mess because JD made it a mess.....now granted we have draft capital. 

He needs to 100 percent hit on these 2022 picks. Some of our gripes have been do you trust him with that many picks? He's a very averageish drafter. He cant be average in 22, he needs to draft well. 

and that is the problem right there. We have 4 picks in the first 64 and potentially 2 of the first 12. Does anyone here feel confident in JD and the scouting staff getting these correct? History does not provide confidence.

• Upvote 3

I'm much more worried about this coaching staff than the general manager. 

This is a roster than somehow beat Tennessee a few weeks ago - but we give up 54 points and are noncompetitive against a 2-4 Pats team (a team that we are supposed to despise?) We get shutout in Denver by a mediocre Broncos team? We have five losses and have been blown out 3 times (and were down 16-0 and 17-0, respectively, in the other two losses!)That is coaching, fellas. Being consistently noncompetitive in the NFL is a coaching issue. 

If JD wants to save his job, he needs to get himself a competent head coach who knows how to put together an NFL staff. Saleh gets the rest of year no matter what - but we need to see a major uptick in the competitiveness going forward. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Do you think it’s a chance the Jets draft another QB next year???

If Malik Willis, Kenny Pickett, and (possibly) Matt Corral is available, then yes.  Look at the Cardinals, and look how it worked out.  You gotta keep taking QB's until you find one.  Imagine the Jets drafting Josh Rosen and then turning around the following year and drafting Kyle Murray.  People would have burned down the head office.  How did that work out for Arizona?

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is a roster than somehow beat Tennessee a few weeks ago - but we give up 54 points and are noncompetitive against a 2-4 Pats team (a team that we are supposed to despise?) We get shutout in Denver by a mediocre Broncos team? We have five losses and have been blown out 3 times (and were down 16-0 and 17-0, respectively, in the other two losses!)That is coaching, fellas. Being consistently noncompetitive in the NFL is a coaching issue. 

If JD wants to save his job, he needs to get himself a competent head coach who knows how to put together an NFL staff. Saleh gets the rest of year no matter what - but we need to see a major uptick in the competitiveness going forward. 

Absolutely fair, but the problem is we will NEVER get a competent head coach with a track record of firing rookie coaches after a season or two.  Nobody will apply, unless there is a ridiculous number on the piece of paper slid across the table as compensation, and assurances of number of years. 

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I’m not trying to sound tough and I know it’s really easy to be an armchair GM. However, with the assets we have for the offseason, I truly believe I can construct a playoff team for next season.

The Johnson’s have been terrified to invoke a playoff mandate on anyone publicly, but it’s time. Next year, we better be playoff bound.

Lets try to become an NFL team first 

16 minutes ago, Trotter said:

and that is the problem right there. We have 4 picks in the first 64 and potentially 2 of the first 12. Does anyone here feel confident in JD and the scouting staff getting these correct? History does not provide confidence.

Yes.  But many fans seem to think that you can judge players on about 16 games or less as a pro, even though every expert says otherwise.  So there is that. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Absolutely fair, but the problem is we will NEVER get a competent head coach with a track record of firing rookie coaches after a season or two.  Nobody will apply, unless there is a ridiculous number on the piece of paper slid across the table as compensation, and assurances of number of years. 

You could be right and there is almost no chance the Jets fire Saleh after one season, anyway. 

But I'm very, very worried about this staff. I have the same hopeless feeling that I had with Gase after the first handful of games and I honestly think Saleh has more talent to work with than Gase had. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Jameis Winston ? I hang up the phone within seconds

You just wait for the epic Brady vs. Winston show down in the NFC Champ game and when Winston eats that W like a crab leg, I will bump this post w/ the quickness.  If this doesnt happen, I will act like I never made this statement.

20 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yes.  But many fans seem to think that you can judge players on about 16 games or less as a pro, even though every expert says otherwise.  So there is that. 

True,  but that is changing. Look over the past several years and identify players that are making immediate impacts in not only their first year but first handful of games. Now look at the players JD has drafted and identify one that fits that model. Maybe Becton last year but even that is becoming questionable.  

44 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  Prior to JD’s first draft in 2020 I said he needs to have 2 out of his first 3 drafts be well above average for this thing to get going.  The roster was just so bad and void of talent that without really good drafts this thing is going to stall and not get off the ground.  This 2022 draft is critical for JD. 

Agreed....to flip this around you need the type of drafts the Browns had in 2017-18. 2 solid drafts bringing in major cornerstones....

You have to be able to land the franchise changers with your picks in order for this method to work. The Browns did it, or else you end up like Jacksonville for many years or the Idzik Jets 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I’m not trying to sound tough and I know it’s really easy to be an armchair GM. However, with the assets we have for the offseason, I truly believe I can construct a playoff team for next season.

The Johnson’s have been terrified to invoke a playoff mandate on anyone publicly, but it’s time. Next year, we better be playoff bound.

Roster construction is one thing.  But there are only two really key questions that will determine whether the Jets (with ANY roster construction) are a 3-4 win team or a 10-11 win team.  Do we have the right Head Coach?  Do we have the right QB?

Defense needs some talent infusion but when they were mostly healthy, had Mosley, etc. it was already an overachieving group that was in the top half of the NFL.

Offense is different.  How many GLARING upgrades are needed?  I really only see two (TE, RG) and then a few areas I'd love to improve but are currently okayish.  With the O its all about Zach and LaFleur (and thus Saleh).  The talent is young but it's mostly there outside of TE and RG.  The WRs are "good enough" and McGovern and the OTs are "good enough."

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You could be right and there is almost no chance the Jets fire Saleh after one season, anyway. 

But I'm very, very worried about this staff. I have the same hopeless feeling that I had with Gase after the first handful of games and I honestly think Saleh has more talent to work with than Gase had. 

I’m starting to get there too....trying to be patient, mainly because I’m sick of the revolving door....but there’s some troubling signs early on and we’ve seen this movie too many times 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Trotter said:

True,  but that is changing. Look over the past several years and identify players that are making immediate impacts in not only their first year but first handful of games. Now look at the players JD has drafted and identify one that fits that model. Maybe Becton last year but even that is becoming questionable.  

The impact players, just like every year, are far fewer than the total number drafted.  Hitting home runs is fun, and makes the fans stand and cheer.  But a team is better suited to have competency throughout the roster.  We don't have that yet, no question.  But judging drafts after a handful of games is pointless.  While fun to watch, those flashing few games get figured out after watching some tape.   

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Roster construction is one thing.  But there are only two really key questions that will determine whether the Jets (with ANY roster construction) are a 3-4 win team or a 10-11 win team.  Do we have the right Head Coach?  Do we have the right QB?

Defense needs some talent infusion but when they were mostly healthy, had Mosley, etc. it was already an overachieving group that was in the top half of the NFL.

Offense is different.  How many GLARING upgrades are needed?  I really only see two (TE, RG) and then a few areas I'd love to improve but are currently okayish.  With the O its all about Zach and LaFleur (and thus Saleh).  The talent is young but it's mostly there outside of TE and RG.  The WRs are "good enough" and McGovern and the OTs are "good enough."

Agreed.  Why is it for the past 10 years or so we can seem to NEVER have an offence that can show anything?  There is something fundamentally wrong here.  There is talent on this roster.  Put this offence with the current talent in the hands of Brian Daboll, Josh McDaniels, Pete Carmichael, etc. and we are, at the very least, a middle of the pack team.  But we have been ranked, consistently, at the bottom of the NFL.  

Question to everyone on the board: How much does the hiring of defence-minded head coaches have on this? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Saleh may still turn out to be a good head coach in time, but i believe the real telling  moment for Saleh will be watching to see what changes he makes with this coaching staff after the season.  Does he stay loyal to his buddies from his previous coaching stops or does he see his ass in the frying pan here and he needs to make big boy decisions that may not be popular with his friends but brings tangible results to the football field?  We crushed Macaganan for not letting Rhule pick his coaches but maybe Joe Douglas should have given some more input on Saleh's staff.  LeFleur is clearly not ready yet and there are too many first time coaches who are learning on the job.  Need a few gray haired guys to help this staff.  people who can get in Saleh's ear and help shorten the learning curve. 

I also believe Woody and Chris Johnson are too easy going and want to be "one of the guys" around the team.  I wish they had a little more George Steinbrenner mentality to them and were as pissed off, ashamed, and embarrassed as most Jets fans were after that performance on Sunday.  Instead we get the corporate bull sh_t line of...  its a process, we see improvements, we had a good week of practice, guys are doing all the hard work in the classroom, ect   That Pats game was already lost before the kickoff

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This team will def be competing for a playoff spot next year and will def be making a Super Bowl run in 2023.  We have some real nice pieces now and still have this upcoming offseason and draft.

Playoffs are a realistic goal next year and a Super Bowl run is happening in 2023.

Douglas/Saleh/Wilson = The Holy Trinity

Serious question: are you being sarcastic when you say this stuff or is it what you believe?

Just wondering

54 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Question to everyone on the board: How much does the hiring of defence-minded head coaches have on this? 

In my opinion doesn’t matter what your specialty is but who you hire for your staff Parcells had Ron Erhardt Coughlin Weiss Crennell and another defensive coach a guy who will remain nameless. That’s just one example but I am sure you look at Andy Reid Shanahan their staffs where excellent and produced successful head coaches 

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Depends on what Wilson does when he gets back.  To me, he has not done nearly enough so far to be handed the job again next year.  If Wilson is a legit starting QB in the NFL, then he should not be afraid of competition.

We can say that but there isnt a chance in hell, IMO that theyre going to create a QB controversy.  Teams do everything possible to eliminate that kind of situation

As the old adage goes, if you have two QBs on a team, you have none 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You think they hired Kingsbury and then moved on from Rosen?  Pretty sure they knew they were done with Rosen and that is why they hired Kingsbury.

I doubt it.  I would think if the HC and GM who drafted Rosen were still around Rosen would have survived year two

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I mostly agree...

Although I don't think the WR's or McGovern are good enough...

Well, let me follow up.

The WR room is fine - but in order to win in today's NFL you need at least one real playmaker.  The Jets don't have that - We had hoped it would be Moore - but I haven't seen that type of explosiveness from him yet.  I guess that can change.  Davis definitely isn't that guy.

McGovern, he's only good enough if he's the weakest link on the OL.  So if you can find a true LT, heavily upgrade RG  and keep our two RT's - then I guess what we have is fine...

Point is, you're probably going to have to take the best playmaker on the board with our top 3 pick and then take an LT with the second 1st.  Maybe when/if Becton comes back he can show something - but I really think he was just a miss.

Then you still need a TE, that can be taken with the early second

Going to have to focus on D with all that free agent money...other thing - we should be going into next season cash strapped on the cap.  it's time to spend.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I mostly agree...

Well, let me follow up.

The WR room is fine - but in order to win in today's NFL you need at least one real playmaker.  The Jets don't have that - We had hoped it would be Moore - but I haven't seen that type of explosiveness from him yet.  I guess that can change.  Davis definitely isn't that guy.

McGovern, he's only good enough if he's the weakest link on the OL.  So if you can find a true LT, heavily upgrade RG  and keep our two RT's - then I guess what we have is fine...

Point is, you're probably going to have to take the best playmaker on the board with our top 3 pick and then take an LT with the second 1st.  Maybe when/if Becton comes back he can show something - but I really think he was just a miss.

Going to have to focus on D with all that free agent money...other thing - we should be going into next season cash strapped on the cap.  it's time to spend.

Draft the best center in the draft and move Becton to RG 

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I doubt it.  I would think if the HC and GM who drafted Rosen were still around Rosen would have survived year two

Definitely. We'd would have had and would be having the exact same debate we are about Darnold.

CTRL+C "Darnold," CTRL+V "Rosen."

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I mostly agree...

Well, let me follow up.

Don't necessarily think he was a miss, but I'm not sure he's a great fit at LT for this zone blocking scheme. 

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Agreed.  Why is it for the past 10 years or so we can seem to NEVER have an offence that can show anything?  There is something fundamentally wrong here.  There is talent on this roster.  Put this offence with the current talent in the hands of Brian Daboll, Josh McDaniels, Pete Carmichael, etc. and we are, at the very least, a middle of the pack team.  But we have been ranked, consistently, at the bottom of the NFL.  

I definitely think there has to be some sort of impact.  Just from a mindset perspective on the approach, how you build the team and where you spend your time.  For example and it's a different game but the Gators were inept offensively for years under Muschamp and McElwain.  Like, completely incompetent.  Qb play was abysmal, OL play sucked, RB's were meh, couldnt score, could pick up first downs, it was tragic.  In comes Dan Mullen, instantly one of the best offensive teams in the country and by year 4 has one of the most historic offensive teams in school history.

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

If Malik Willis, Kenny Pickett, and (possibly) Matt Corral is available, then yes.  Look at the Cardinals, and look how it worked out.  You gotta keep taking QB's until you find one.  Imagine the Jets drafting Josh Rosen and then turning around the following year and drafting Kyle Murray.  People would have burned down the head office.  How did that work out for Arizona?

No way you replace Wilson. The kid is actually really good. This coaching staff has literally no idea what it is doing. It starts there. It doesnt matter how good of drafter you are. Also the idea that this board drafts well is laughable. 99% of this board wanted Darnold or even Baker Flutie over Allen. Stop with this nonsense already,