I can have us in the playoffs next year with what JD is sitting on…

53 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Steve Keim has been the GM in Arizona since 2013.  

I know.  He hired and fired his hand picked HC a year after hiring him and tossed his QB a year after drafting him.  

Was one of my shining examples of GMs being able to survive if their high first round QB fails

I was pointing more towards the HC still being there.  I think a big part of dumping Rosen is his lead footed QB style didnt fit Kingsburys offense and Murray, the perfect fit, was available.  My bad for making it confusing

25 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I definitely think there has to be some sort of impact.  Just from a mindset perspective on the approach, how you build the team and where you spend your time.  For example and it's a different game but the Gators were inept offensively for years under Muschamp and McElwain.  Like, completely incompetent.  Qb play was abysmal, OL play sucked, RB's were meh, couldnt score, could pick up first downs, it was tragic.  In comes Dan Mullen, instantly one of the best offensive teams in the country and by year 4 has one of the most historic offensive teams in school history.

In college , its all about a coaches reputation and recruiting. If a coach/school is known for say its RB's its easy to attract top RB talent . The NFL is different in that the talent pool you recruit from (draft/FA) is a lot more finite. Coaches may be known for a style ( i.e the Shanahan zone blocking scheme but its a lot harder to acquire the right pieces for your team. 

5 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I’m not trying to sound tough and I know it’s really easy to be an armchair GM. However, with the assets we have for the offseason, I truly believe I can construct a playoff team for next season.

The Johnson’s have been terrified to invoke a playoff mandate on anyone publicly, but it’s time. Next year, we better be playoff bound.

Trade for Russel Wilson and load up on FA? 

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Agreed.  Why is it for the past 10 years or so we can seem to NEVER have an offence that can show anything?  There is something fundamentally wrong here.  There is talent on this roster.  Put this offence with the current talent in the hands of Brian Daboll, Josh McDaniels, Pete Carmichael, etc. and we are, at the very least, a middle of the pack team.  But we have been ranked, consistently, at the bottom of the NFL.  

Question to everyone on the board: How much does the hiring of defence-minded head coaches have on this? 

Part of the problem is that when you're continually fire coaching staffs and Gm's on a regular basis, you invariably start over again with different schemes/ player fits and players that are favorites of the past regime but not the current.  Its why we need to be patient with this rebuild vs the half assed retool approaches of the past. Continuity is key here.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Draft the best center in the draft and move Becton to RG 

Yes, for sure draft the best center..

On Becton two things - I don't think he would move to RG and I've also heard he's too tall for G (I really don't know if that's a thing - but I've heard people mention it). 

But Jeeze imagine - best C in the draft, AVT and Becton - would be nasty...

49 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Don't necessarily think he was a miss, but I'm not sure he's a great fit at LT for this zone blocking scheme. 

I worry more about him staying healthy.  I always did - his body makeup always scared me. 

But I can honestly say I have no idea if there's anything behind that.

28 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

In college , its all about a coaches reputation and recruiting. If a coach/school is known for say its RB's its easy to attract top RB talent . The NFL is different in that the talent pool you recruit from (draft/FA) is a lot more finite. Coaches may be known for a style ( i.e the Shanahan zone blocking scheme but its a lot harder to acquire the right pieces for your team. 

Agreed, 100%, which is why I said it's a different game and said it only sort of has an impacts the teams overall offensive success.  I do think the mindset and approach is real though.  Unless you just hit an absolute homerun on OC and/or more importantly, QB.

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Agreed.  Why is it for the past 10 years or so we can seem to NEVER have an offence that can show anything?  There is something fundamentally wrong here.  There is talent on this roster.  Put this offence with the current talent in the hands of Brian Daboll, Josh McDaniels, Pete Carmichael, etc. and we are, at the very least, a middle of the pack team.  But we have been ranked, consistently, at the bottom of the NFL.  

Question to everyone on the board: How much does the hiring of defence-minded head coaches have on this? 

Don't think it matters much quite honestly.  Over the past few years guys like Sean McDermott (defensive HC) have had the best offense in the NFL.  John Harbaugh (Special Teams background) has had one of the best offenses in the league in Baltimore with Lamar Jackson.  Same with the Tennessee Titans recently under Vrabel (defense) and Seahawks with Carroll (defense) over the past 5 years.  That's like 4 of the Top 7 offenses the past few years, the others being Andy Reid (KC), LaFleur (Packers), and Arians (just starting last year with Brady).

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I mostly agree...

Although I don't think the WR's or McGovern are good enough...

Well, let me follow up.

The WR room is fine - but in order to win in today's NFL you need at least one real playmaker.  The Jets don't have that - We had hoped it would be Moore - but I haven't seen that type of explosiveness from him yet.  I guess that can change.  Davis definitely isn't that guy.

McGovern, he's only good enough if he's the weakest link on the OL.  So if you can find a true LT, heavily upgrade RG  and keep our two RT's - then I guess what we have is fine...

Point is, you're probably going to have to take the best playmaker on the board with our top 3 pick and then take an LT with the second 1st.  Maybe when/if Becton comes back he can show something - but I really think he was just a miss.

Then you still need a TE, that can be taken with the early second

Going to have to focus on D with all that free agent money...other thing - we should be going into next season cash strapped on the cap.  it's time to spend.

I want to upgrade C this offseason (the Linderbaum hope is strong!) and move McGovern to RG.  That would upgrade two spots at once. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, for sure draft the best center..

On Becton two things - I don't think he would move to RG and I've also heard he's too tall for G (I really don't know if that's a thing - but I've heard people mention it). 

But Jeeze imagine - best C in the draft, AVT and Becton - would be nasty...

he could very well be too tall for guard for a couple of reasons but I'm not sure he has the durability to play in space and deal with speed rushers. Keep in mind Fant has not given up a sack that's pretty damn impressive

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Snell41 said:

If not, they need to take a real hard look at FA possibilities like Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers and give them a dump truck full of gold.

Yeah, like they're coming here!  Ha ha ha!  He he he!  Ho ho ho!

Gardner Minchew would turn down the Jets in 2022.

SAR I

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I’m not trying to sound tough and I know it’s really easy to be an armchair GM. However, with the assets we have for the offseason, I truly believe I can construct a playoff team for next season.

The Johnson’s have been terrified to invoke a playoff mandate on anyone publicly, but it’s time. Next year, we better be playoff bound.

You must be playing Madden again

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Lith said:

Depends on what Wilson does when he gets back.  To me, he has not done nearly enough so far to be handed the job again next year.  If Wilson is a legit starting QB in the NFL, then he should not be afraid of competition.

The whole point of this season is to let Wilson learn so he will be prepared next season. The kid is undoubtedly going to start next season. You don’t invest the 2nd overall pick on a player only to dump him after one season. 

On 10/26/2021 at 11:50 AM, Trotter said:

True,  but that is changing. Look over the past several years and identify players that are making immediate impacts in not only their first year but first handful of games. Now look at the players JD has drafted and identify one that fits that model. Maybe Becton last year but even that is becoming questionable.  

I think it is more to do with the coaching.  We have drafted some good players. For instance, how is Mims and Moore not seeing the field?

On 10/26/2021 at 2:42 PM, Barkus said:

Trade for Russel Wilson and load up on FA? 

Yes. Their Wilson for our Wilson plus both our 1st rounders (less if they'd take it, of course). RW's cap hit is (currently) at just $27MM/yr for a new team. He'd surely want to add to that, and the GM should happily oblige in the form of an extension to take him past the 2023 season. Still plenty of draft picks and cap room. 

No of course it's not happening, but it's more entertaining for Jets fans to daydream/imagine than it is to watch Jets reality. 

Of course as long as I'm dreaming I may as well dream for these coaches and players to suddenly start looking championship caliber. Hm. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/26/2021 at 9:23 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

This team will def be competing for a playoff spot next year and will def be making a Super Bowl run in 2023.  We have some real nice pieces now and still have this upcoming offseason and draft.

Playoffs are a realistic goal next year and a Super Bowl run is happening in 2023.

Douglas/Saleh/Wilson = The Holy Trinity

You're just trolling now.

On 10/26/2021 at 2:49 PM, 56mehl56 said:

Part of the problem is that when you're continually fire coaching staffs and Gm's on a regular basis, you invariably start over again with different schemes/ player fits and players that are favorites of the past regime but not the current.  Its why we need to be patient with this rebuild vs the half assed retool approaches of the past. Continuity is key here.

Cool so we're going to have a grammer school offense for the next 5 years. 

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Hows that High School thing going.

All you need to remember is that you were dead wrong about Adam Gase and that led to Robert Saleh and the worst team in Jets history, setting us back another 10 years before we'll get close to the playoffs.

Sweet dreams.

SAR I

On 10/26/2021 at 7:52 AM, Sammybighead said:

Me too! I'm really good at madden so I can make the playoffs with any roster. 

On 10/26/2021 at 8:49 PM, 56mehl56 said:

The problem is not the churn. That's just a consequence of the root cause: hiring the wrong guys to begin with.

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

All you need to remember is that you were dead wrong about Adam Gase and that led to Robert Saleh and the worst team in Jets history, setting us back another 10 years before we'll get close to the playoffs.

Sweet dreams.

SAR I

Adam Gase’s theme song

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

What's next?  Soupy Sales?  No one gets your 1950's humor. 

Your problem isn't Adam Gase.  Your problem is Robert Saleh.

You created this mess.  You are to blame.

Sweet dreams.

SAR I

How dare you disparage Soupy Sales.  I met him a couple times. Really cool down to earth guy. You're a communist.

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

Sweet dreams.

SAR I

Lol dead wrong. If aspiring to being a bottom feeder instead of a worse bottom feeder is dead wrong, then being dead wrong never looked so good

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

What's next?  Soupy Sales?  No one gets your 1950's humor. 

Your problem isn't Adam Gase.  Your problem is Robert Saleh.

You created this mess.  You are to blame.

Sweet dreams.

SAR I

BlackTooth: Hey Soupy where did Adam Gase go? I thought the was the next genius HC? 

Soupy: Well he went back to school to get his high school diploma.  He lied on his application. Dont lie children. It doesn't pay!

360_soupy_sales_1023.jpg

On 10/26/2021 at 5:52 AM, Sammybighead said:

What JD is sitting on? This year the J E T S look like total crap. 

I know what he's sitting on; I can smell it through the NFLBITE.