LaFleur & Saleh Left Their Courage In SF (So Far)

Not to mention their competitive ruthlessness, creativity, fire, brilliance, desperation. Will they re-discover it?

They should understand the second they signed their Jets contracts, the clock began ticking. With the Jets but more so on their NFL careers as OC and HC. If they screw up here, they may never get another NFL chance. It seems they don't know that right now. And in LaFleur's case since he got the job. A Florham Park Pop Warner OC could do much better.

Being in the big chairs leading a team or a unit, is completely different than being some form of assistant. Right now all their good work in SF - and with LaFleur that's only clear to those inside the Niners organization - has been rendered meaningless. 

(This post was gonna be about LaFleur only. But after Sunday's defensive fiasco and as former 49er, Saleh is down there with him).

• Upvote 4
Just now, McNeil said:

Not to mention their competitive ruthlessness, creativity, fire, brilliance, desperation. Will they re-discover it?

They should understand the second they signed their Jets contracts, the clock began ticking. With the Jets but more so on their NFL careers as OC and HC. If they screw up here, they may never get another NFL chance. It seems they don't know that right now. And in LaFleur's case since he got the job. A Florham Park Pop Warner OC could do much better.

Being in the big chairs leading a team or a unit, is completely different than being some form of assistant. Right now all their good work in SF - and with LaFleur that's only clear to those inside the Niners organization - has been rendered meaningless. 

(This post was gonna be about LaFleur only. But after Sunday's defensive fiasco and as former 49er, Saleh is down there with him).

But they're grown men!

17 minutes ago, McNeil said:

Me looking for the details on the CS lacking courage

discover tv show GIF by HULU

With lafleur I don’t think it’s play design. Guys are open on most of the passes. The problem seems to be a few things. He calls plays that don’t work sometimes because Zach isn’t ready to change them at the line if he sees something he doesn’t like. The line misses assignments on a regular basis. There seems to be a lot of miscommunication up front for whatever reason. It has been improving slowly as we get further into the season. GVR is a massive liability out there. He’s getting steamrolled or missing assignments on a regular basis. Might as well throw feeney in because he can’t be that much worse.

The other issue is that Zach is having a very hard time making reads while in the pocket. He tends to focus on a guy and wait till they are open instead of passing to someone who is already open. This will hopefully improve with time.  These are just a few things that I’m noticing, I’m sure there’s more to it. I don’t 100% blame lafleur with how the offense has been stinking up the place it’s a culmination of many things not working as they should. Having a vet like Flacco come in may be the best thing right now. Zach can sit down and see how an experienced guy does it. 

55 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

How do we know LaFleur ever had any courage?  He was an assistant to an assistant... a total unknown.  He got hired, I guess, based on his family name?

He parlayed being a gofer for the younger Shanahan for 5 years to OC of an NFL franchise. It's really impressive when you think about it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I always wonder about the psychology of people who are greatly elevated in their careers

do they stick to what made them worthy of possible elevation and past lauded behavior ?

or

do they do what they THiNK the role requires at the expense of their identity?

im utterly shocked that so far Saleh is not what we thought he was. What an incredible fake. 

Whether you like it or not, Saleh became hot for certain reasons. And he will be fired because he didn’t stay true to what made him interesting.

id rather someone who stays true for better or worse.

On 10/26/2021 at 12:38 PM, BurntDice said:

With lafleur I don’t think it’s play design. Guys are open on most of the passes. The problem seems to be a few things. He calls plays that don’t work sometimes because Zach isn’t ready to change them at the line if he sees something he doesn’t like. The line misses assignments on a regular basis. There seems to be a lot of miscommunication up front for whatever reason. It has been improving slowly as we get further into the season. GVR is a massive liability out there. He’s getting steamrolled or missing assignments on a regular basis. Might as well throw feeney in because he can’t be that much worse.

The other issue is that Zach is having a very hard time making reads while in the pocket. He tends to focus on a guy and wait till they are open instead of passing to someone who is already open. This will hopefully improve with time.  These are just a few things that I’m noticing, I’m sure there’s more to it. I don’t 100% blame lafleur with how the offense has been stinking up the place it’s a culmination of many things not working as they should. Having a vet like Flacco come in may be the best thing right now. Zach can sit down and see how an experienced guy does it. 

LaFleur said on Monday that his first 3 plays (2 runs and a pass) were to ease Zach into the game.

Question. does Zach really need that... or....is LaFluer being too overprotective. cause if its the 1st one then were in trouble. at game 6 he shouldnt need to be eased into any game. or LaFluer is being too cautious with him.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:44 AM, McNeil said:

And the good players.

7 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Run, run, pass isn’t that uncommon. 

The first run (1 yard) got blown up in the backfield by the defender in front of GVR. 

3016906F-7BFE-4765-9BE6-764B4E326031.jpeg

The “pass” was a -9 yards sack because GVR had both hands on Moses, Congo style, while a blitzing linebacker streaks by them both unnoticed. 

6845883E-A7C4-4A15-94F8-F5E50147E573.jpeg

He is probably the culprit on at least one down of every 3 & out we’ve ever had.  Fix RG and we fix the whole offense. 

ok cause saying zach still needs to go slow to start the game is very concerning. 

btw this is good stuff. thanks for posting this. when you see it like this you really can see how bad Van Rotten is.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

The “pass” was a -9 yards sack because GVR had both hands on Moses, Congo style, while a blitzing linebacker streaks by them both unnoticed. 

This is at the same time the funniest and saddest post I’ve read in a while.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

The first run (1 yard) got blown up in the backfield by the defender in front of GVR. 

He is probably the culprit on at least one down of every 3 & out we’ve ever had.  Fix RG and we fix the whole offense. 

To me and I wanna believe in JD, but that's his biggest failure so far from my standpoint. He did not do what was needed to be done if the selection was ZW to protect the kid. He left 2 of the worst OLmen on this roster for ZW to get killed. If there is any thought of getting rid of Crowder and Maye, you'd better be getting something you can parlay into Linderbaum. Since it's looking slim on the RG draft, you'd better be active in FA for that position.

I agree with the OP, that Saleh is an enigma right now. Don't know if we're getting the rah-rah Saleh, or the guy who was stoic watching his QB take a hit that even if he knows the rule about being out of the pocket, should have gotten himself tossed from the game for standing on the field and protesting his QB getting hit like that, and wondering what it's going to take to have his QB protected by NFL officials. Sad really.

LaFleur, I know nothing about, just that the older bro is HC of GB. Liked the hire cause I thought maybe that was the innovative mind we needed after having Gase, but his play calling is leaving a lot to be desired.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Jesus, how is van rotten still playing? And he was talking sh*t about Wilson holding the ball too long.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Sadly, this is what Plan C looks like. Plan A was Alex Lewis. Plan B was Cameron Clark. Van Roten is the third option. Take the third option at any position and you'll find a well below average starter. Just imagine how bad Feeney is to not show enough in practice to steal at least a few snaps from Van Roten. 

Rather than trade a 6th for a back up QB, JD would have helped the team far more by trading a 4th for the backup Guard on a team with a good starting O line.

• Like 1
On 10/26/2021 at 11:44 AM, McNeil said:

Saleh made a big mistake hiring a guy with so little experience and guiding a rookie QB but he had Knapp to oversee and provide insight that is lost now. Lafleur will learn but can the Jets wait on his learning curve? Saleh needs to bring in an offensive 'consultant' of some kind to help Lafleur speed up his learning curve.

Just now, thebuzzardman said:

Watching his coaching of the Jets has aged me like 30

No joke, I just showed that image to my wife, who did a classic wide-eyed "what?" stunned look.   Said he reminded her of her late grandfather.

• Haha 1