Jets Slowest Team in NFL (ESPN)

kevinc855

Oh please another hit piece on the Jets. I bet there are a number of HOF receivers and running backs who never had the fastest 40 times but never got caught from behind Cornerback that were never the fastest but shut opponents down Linebackers that were slow but never missed tackles because of the ability to take proper angles to make a sure tackle. Just another kick em when their down article 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How does one measure the "fastest" team?

What is the actual measurement being used, their 40 times when they did their combines?

I guess I'm sorta confused how one measures and compares "fastest" teams for the on-field speeds mid-season.

It’s a hack piece just sh*tting on the Jets. I can assure you if that if we got the author in a room with a light and you interrogated him he would tap out and want out of said room.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How does one measure the "fastest" team?

What is the actual measurement being used, their 40 times when they did their combines?

I guess I'm sorta confused how one measures and compares "fastest" teams for the on-field speeds mid-season.

My guess is using advanced metrics from real games.

Metrics that come up with stats such as these:

• Upvote 1

Not sure how they measured this, but the Jets have a fair number of fast players.

Guidry has world-class speed, Echols is very fast, as are both Carters. Coleman is extremely fast for a RB. Moore and Mims have very good speed, Jeff Smith is also pretty fast.

It's a lot better than we have been in recent years.

14 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

My guess is using advanced metrics from real games.

Metrics that come up with stats such as these:

So to be clear, you think someone out there is doing this, for every play, for every player, in every game in 2021, and that is how this list was created and the Jets found to be dead last?

If so, that's impressive, even with today's massive computing processing power.

FYI, this for 2020 and 2021 through 6 games. It is NOT just for the 2021 team.

Method: We found players' average yards covered per second by computing their five top speeds -- run and pass plays only -- recorded during the 2020 and 2021 seasons (through Week 6), using player-tracking data from NFL Next Gen Stats. Team, unit and position group speed were calculated with the top three WRs, two TEs, two RBs, two QBs, four DBs and 2 LBs from each team according to weighted average of top speed and snap count. Offense speed was weighted with 45% WR, 25% TE, 20% RB and 10% QB, while defense speed was weighted with 70% DB and 30% LB. Team speed is 50% offense and 50% defense. And lastly, players who changed teams count toward their current roster, and they must have made an appearance this season to factor in.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Regardless of 40 times the jets play slow.

I agree.  I would think the issue is that we have young guys, including some learning new positions, that are slow to recognize and diagnose plays on defense.  They may have some speed, but have not learned to play to it yet.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

So to be clear, you think someone out there is doing this, for every play, for every player, in every game in 2021, and that is how this list was created and the Jets found to be dead last?

If so, that's impressive, even with today's massive computing processing power.

TEAM SPEED RANKINGS

Method: We found players' average yards covered per second by computing their five top speeds -- run and pass plays only -- recorded during the 2020 and 2021 seasons (through Week 6), using player-tracking data from NFL Next Gen Stats. Team, unit and position group speed were calculated with the top three WRs, two TEs, two RBs, two QBs, four DBs and 2 LBs from each team according to weighted average of top speed and snap count. Offense speed was weighted with 45% WR, 25% TE, 20% RB and 10% QB, while defense speed was weighted with 70% DB and 30% LB. Team speed is 50% offense and 50% defense. And lastly, players who changed teams count toward their current roster, and they must have made an appearance this season to factor in.

Seems like it?