Refs were right about the no calls on Zach. They still suck.

dcJet

I was pissed at the no-call for the low hit and the injury hit but after further review... a QB loses protection from a low hit if they leave the pocket.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/roughing-the-passer/#:~:text=When the passer goes outside,e) above%2C but he remains

image.thumb.png.bffd8b9a9757dcda3017507f4b1856e1.png

I'm still pissed about Saleh being so Bowles-ish about it.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Mac Jones threw 5 passes behind the line of scrimmage for 98 yards. The team shouldnt be asking their rookie QB to do so much. Thats the problem. Not the refs.

Patriots have to be given credit for how they are bringing Mac along. Will it pay off in the future or is he merely being hidden behind the scheme? Time will tell but I'd sure rather be in Pats fans' shoes than ours right now.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I was pissed at the no-call for the low hit and the injury hit but after further review... a QB loses protection from a low hit if they leave the pocket.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/roughing-the-passer/#:~:text=When the passer goes outside,e) above%2C but he remains

As others will say, if its another QB like Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers etc they get flagged and fined.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Patriots have to be given credit for how they are bringing Mac along. Will it pay off in the future or is he merely being hidden behind the scheme? Time will tell but I'd sure rather be in Pats fans' shoes than ours right now.

I agree. You dont know if Mac will make the big throws needed in the playoffs or even get them there. But the way to bring along a young QB is the way the Pats are. Quite frankly the Cards, and Browns are too among others. The Jets brought along Sanchez this way as well. It was the right way to do it and frankly the only way I see work.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dcJet said:

Not really bombs away, they are still protected but not for the low hit or one-step (late hit).  

If the NFL protected players outside the pocket the same way as QB's it would change the game. Teams could line up RB's under center and they would be difficult to tackle outside the pocket.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Geno kinda tripped over a motionless defender on the ground and he got a flag. 

I saw that.  There are horrible calls every game on QB hits.  We get screwed every time.

I have hope for the new "expedited replay" rule to fix this.  Right now they don't review penalties.

I think it can work though.  In the time it takes for the refs to huddle and discuss the flag the booth can be reviewing the penalty.  If it's an obvious bad call like the Geno one, they can pick up the flag.

14 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Zack Wilson seems to be running for the sidelines a lot.  Is this him panicking or breakdown in O-Line play?

On Sunday I felt that he looked to bail on the pocket pretty quickly on at least a few occasions (can't say I blame him based on previous experience).

He also tended to roll out in a direction that meant his blockers were then out of the play and the defense could just disengage and chase him down. Not sure this did him any favors.

I know when White came in BB may have eased off on the pressure but he seemed to use the pocket a lot more and get the ball out quickly. It'll be interesting to see if that continues or if White has the same issues in the coming weeks. Maybe having Zach sit and see that there is a pocket can help him start to build some trust in staying put once he's back.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

The first one should be a penalty on any player...jeeze he torqued his knee.  

Second one was clearly late and then he fell on top of his back - it is a bit ticky-tack but that has been getting called all the time on anyone not name Zach Wilson.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Zack Wilson seems to be running for the sidelines a lot.  Is this him panicking or breakdown in O-Line play?

Its' mostly a breakdown in OL play.

But I do think he is a bit shell shocked.  There are just far too many free blitzes still getting through.  

I think he's more of a if my first or second read isn't there I'm bailing - he does need to get past that...

but he also needs to able to trust his OL better - and I can't blame him if he doesn't.

I mean jeez, the third offensive play of the game - guy came free right up the middle.  I mean that kind of stuff should happen a few times a year.  Still happening to the Jets a few times a week.  It really is hard to blame this kid.

• Sympathy 1