Woody gives Joe Douglas and Saleh his unwavering support

Rhg1084

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah,  I rather watch the Pats hang 50 on us and be eliminated from the playoffs before November.  

Ask a Saints fan what it's been like to have a Hall of Fame HC and QB and not go near the Super Bowl for the last 12 seasons and now head to the abyss.  Ask a Dolphins fan with Marino, ask a Packers fan with Rodgers.  

The closer you get to the prize, the bigger the pain when you lose.  In the end, we all lose.  Jets fans are grumpy in October.  Bills fans will be jumping off buildings in February.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

For once I'm going to agree with you... Woody is so F'n soft it's not funny, he wouldn't know how to run a successful organization if he actually had some skills. I'm not going to waver my support for JD, just yet, but telling this football operations in public he expects more out of them is not throwing them under the bus, but making it clear, that things need to change, and they'd better start figuring out ways to make that happen.
In private, I would be sitting them down and saying listen, I know it's only 5 games, but what I'm looking at is not what I expected. I'm not firing anyone over this yet, but if you need to bring in some football consultants to help you guys figure out what is wrong and get other opinions to help you grow in your job, then GET IT DONE...

They have tried the football consultants before and that didnt work either. Its hard to say what the answer is. I think its too simple to say its the head coach or GM at this point. I dont like Salehs philosophy and scheme and I hate his DCs as well. The OC is green. These things we pretty much know. They all seem in over their head. I think the Jets are going to have to go hard at free agents this year. Not just bank on rookies. They need to make plays for the right free agents though.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I thought it was worse…..  

jetshistory.jpg

It was actually better.

From 2000 to 2011 with a healthy quarterback, the Jets had 9 non-losing seasons, 8 winning seasons, and averaged 10 wins per year.  We were in the playoff conversation for a decade.  We didn't win it all, but we actually had a golden age, we had a great decade.

And like every NFL franchise that has a great decade, it is followed by a suck decade.  Go look at your NFL history.  Go look at the Cowboys, go look at the Giants, the Broncos, the 49ers.  It took the Bills 30 years to get back.  The Dolphins are 30 years and counting, no closer than since Marino left. 

It's the price you pay for being in the playoff conversation for 10+ years.  You have to go to the back of the line when its over.  Woody Johnson delivered a great decade.  The Jets were one of the elite AFC franchises despite the Patriots dynasty.  Jets Illuminati didn't recognize it back then.  Perhaps here in the depths of hell, they'll see it now.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

They have tried the football consultants before and that didnt work either. Its hard to say what the answer is. I think its too simple to say its the head coach or GM at this point. I dont like Salehs philosophy and scheme and I hate his DCs as well. The OC is green. These things we pretty much know. They all seem in over their head. I think the Jets are going to have to go hard at free agents this year. Not just bank on rookies. They need to make plays for the right free agents though.

You missed the point, not consultants to hire, but tell Saleh and JD, they can reach out to mentors etc to help them out in their jobs... Maybe consultants was the wrong word.

You missed the point, not consultants to hire, but tell Saleh and JD, they can reach out to mentors etc to help them out in their jobs... Maybe consultants was the wrong word.

Ah ok. Thats a good idea probably. We are probably going to have to live with getting embarrassed and hope the coaching staff is capable of getting better. But that’s a good idea. Maybe Mike Shanahan is looking for a part time job.

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Why?

The owners job is to buy a franchise at X value, expand the fanbase, build a training facility, build a stadium, and achieve Y value.  Woody Johnson purchased the Jets for $635M and 22 years later it's worth $4.05B or almost 7x what he paid.  Since its completion, MetLife Stadium has propelled the Jets to Top 3 in the NFL and #1 in the AFC in attendance.  That's an A+ by any measure.

31 owners don't win the Super Bowl each year.  That doesn't make them losers.  Woody Johnson is kind and compassionate, he truly wants to win, he is very generous to his fans, and he has not raised ticket prices in 13 years.  One day he will get the GM and the HC right.

SAR I

Seems like he’s done a great job at everything but hiring the right people to actually win football games. Good work Woody!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You mean the General Managers he hires?

You’re making his point for him.  

Woody hires them because guys who are suppose to know about football tell him to.

Casserly and Wolf got us MAC..

Mac got us Bowles...

Peyton got us Gase...

Gase got us JD...

i dont think you want Woody and Chris deciding on there own who to get next. Woody is just getting bad advice. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, munchmemory said:

We've been patient (me at least) from Todd through Darnold.  Asking abject absolution for Zack's stumbles  is just never gonna happen.  We need a QB to click immediately.  And, honestly, we were told Zack already had the skills to succeed on day one.

We've been?  I'm not telling anyone to be patient, but it has been 6 games.  6 games and they beat what is possibly the 1 seed in the AFC on the road.  You can curse and complain.  We all have the right.  Just don't do it and pretend you've been patient.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

Ask a Saints fan what it's been like to have a Hall of Fame HC and QB and not go near the Super Bowl for the last 12 seasons and now head to the abyss.  Ask a Dolphins fan with Marino, ask a Packers fan with Rodgers.  

The closer you get to the prize, the bigger the pain when you lose.  In the end, we all lose.  Jets fans are grumpy in October.  Bills fans will be jumping off buildings in February.  

SAR I

That’s why I fired Gase and got rid of the Sanchize.  Grumpy is preferable. 

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

jetshistory.jpg

It was actually better.

From 2000 to 2011 with a healthy quarterback, the Jets had 9 non-losing seasons, 8 winning seasons, and averaged 10 wins per year.  We were in the playoff conversation for a decade.  We didn't win it all, but we actually had a golden age, we had a great decade.

And like every NFL franchise that has a great decade, it is followed by a suck decade.  Go look at your NFL history.  Go look at the Cowboys, go look at the Giants, the Broncos, the 49ers.  It took the Bills 30 years to get back.  The Dolphins are 30 years and counting, no closer than since Marino left. 

It's the price you pay for being in the playoff conversation for 10+ years.  You have to go to the back of the line when its over.  Woody Johnson delivered a great decade.  The Jets were one of the elite AFC franchises despite the Patriots dynasty.  Jets Illuminati didn't recognize it back then.  Perhaps here in the depths of hell, they'll see it now.

SAR I

Great decades are always followed by a suck decade?  Has anyone informed the Patriots, Steelers and Ravens of this?

10 hours ago, doitny said:

Woody hires them because guys who are suppose to know about football tell him to.

Casserly and Wolf got us MAC..

Mac got us Bowles...

Peyton got us Gase...

Gase got us JD...

i dont think you want Woody and Chris deciding on there own who to get next. Woody is just getting bad advice. 

you forgot one

JD got us Saleh and LaFlour

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

Why?

The owners job is to buy a franchise at X value, expand the fanbase, build a training facility, build a stadium, and achieve Y value.  Woody Johnson purchased the Jets for $635M and 22 years later it's worth $4.05B or almost 7x what he paid.  Since its completion, MetLife Stadium has propelled the Jets to Top 3 in the NFL and #1 in the AFC in attendance.  That's an A+ by any measure.

31 owners don't win the Super Bowl each year.  That doesn't make them losers.  Woody Johnson is kind and compassionate, he truly wants to win, he is very generous to his fans, and he has not raised ticket prices in 13 years.  One day he will get the GM and the HC right.

SAR I

Woody Johnson (like many asset holders) benefited from inflation?!   Wow, great job!

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

What a terrible way to look at sports. "If my team doesn't win it all, the season was a failure." 

49 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Great decades are always followed by a suck decade?  Has anyone informed the Patriots, Steelers and Ravens of this?

Generational quarterbacks and head coaches can win Super Bowls (Belichick, Brady) and can make the playoffs (Tomlin, Roethlisberger, Harbaugh).  That ain't us.  We're in the soup with the other 29 teams that don't have such luxuries.

You are smarter than this.  I thought.

SAR I

45 minutes ago, jgb said:

What a terrible way to look at sports. "If my team doesn't win it all, the season was a failure." 

That's not how I look at it, but it depends on context.

My Rangers didn't make the playoffs last season but as a rebuild I was very pleased with our goaltending, our scoring, and our budding young stars.  It was a satisfying year.

My Yankees didn't get through the wildcard last season and as a team with a solid core, several superstars, and a high payroll I was very unhappy.  It was a terrible year.

My Yankees made the playoffs 6 times in the last 7 years and I suffered crushing postseason losses, made me feel like crap.  My Rangers don't make the playoffs but they make me feel better than the Yankees.  The difference is the promise of hope for an ascending hockey team vs. the frustration of a mature baseball team.  That's what Saints fans felt.  That's what Jets fans didn't.

SAR I

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

jetshistory.jpg

It was actually better.

SAR I

That 2008 team might have been our best team in the last 20 years, until Favre got hurt and refused to sit.

Just now, jgb said:

So... why are you bothered by Jets, exactly?

If you had hope this season, that's on you.

My Rangers, my Yankees, and my Jets all announced rebuilds right around 2016.

The Yankees didn't actually rebuild.  They had a one year no-playoff blip and returned to dominance immediately.  They simultaneously developed a new core in the minors while showing the old core out the door in the majors.

The Rangers rebuilt for real.  Ran the script perfectly.  Combination of shedding old players, drafting very well, and doing an exceptional job with trades and free agency.  They look to be set for a 5+ year Cup run.

The Jets did the opposite of what the Yankees and Rangers did.  They failed with 2 rebuilds after announcing the first rebuild, maybe its 3 rebuilds, I lose count.  The Jets are clearly worse than they were in 2017 and there is no hope that the current regime gets it done, we're going to have to wait another year for the next HC and GM to try yet again.

I did not have 'hope' for this year's Jets season.  I expected growth from our 2nd and 3rd year players and flashes from our 1st year players.  I expected a head coach to change the culture.  The Yankees changed the manager.  The Rangers changed the head coach and the GM.  You could feel the energy change.  The Jets make changes and nothing changes.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

My Rangers, my Yankees, and my Jets all announced rebuilds right around 2016.

The Yankees didn't actually rebuild.  They had a one year no-playoff blip and returned to dominance immediately.  They simultaneously developed a new core in the minors while showing the old core out the door in the majors.

The Rangers rebuilt for real.  Ran the script perfectly.  Combination of shedding old players, drafting very well, and doing an exceptional job with trades and free agency.  They look to be set for a 5+ year Cup run.

The Jets did the opposite of what the Yankees and Rangers did.  They failed with 2 rebuilds after announcing the first rebuild, maybe its 3 rebuilds, I lose count.  The Jets are clearly worse than they were in 2017 and there is no hope that the current regime gets it done, we're going to have to wait another year for the next HC and GM to try yet again.

I did not have 'hope' for this year's Jets season.  I expected growth from our 2nd and 3rd year players and flashes from our 1st year players.  I expected a head coach to change the culture.  The Yankees changed the manager.  The Rangers changed the head coach and the GM.  You could feel the energy change.  The Jets make changes and nothing changes.

SAR I

The Jets are not your team.  You're a fan but they're not yours.  The Jets ARE my team, however, since I have direct control over Woody Johnson.  

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Generational quarterbacks and head coaches can win Super Bowls (Belichick, Brady) and can make the playoffs (Tomlin, Roethlisberger, Harbaugh).  That ain't us.  We're in the soup with the other 29 teams that don't have such luxuries.

You are smarter than this.  I thought.

SAR I

Sanchez and Gase are generational.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Jets are not your team.  You're a fan but they're not yours.  The Jets ARE my team, however, since I have direct control over Woody Johnson.  

"You" as in the collective "you" that make up several thousand noisy, entitled, misguided, incorrect Jets Illuminati are most definitely to blame for this disastrous predicament.  You run the old guy out of town and the new guy is infinitely worse:

Sanchez > Smith > Petty > Darnold > Wilson

Tannenbaum > Maccagnan > Douglas

Schottenheimer > Sporano > Gailey > Bates > LaFleur

Bowles > Gase > Saleh

Every time you say "get rid of him we can do better!" we don't.  You had your turn, now pipe down while the silent majority gets in Woody's ear and fixes this thing, finally.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

"You" as in the collective "you" that make up several thousand noisy, entitled, misguided, incorrect Jets Illuminati are most definitely to blame for this disastrous predicament.  You run the old guy out of town and the new guy is infinitely worse:

Sanchez > Smith > Petty > Darnold > Wilson

Tannenbaum > Maccagnan > Douglas

Schottenheimer > Sporano > Gailey > Bates > LaFleur

Bowles > Gase > Saleh

Every time you say "get rid of him we can do better!" we don't.  You had your turn, now pipe down while the silent majority gets in Woody's ear and fixes this thing, finally.

SAR I

Woody clearly reads (and takes his direction) from this forum.

Woody - please listen to SAR for once and bring back Adam Gase, Mike Maccagnan and Bryce Petty.  SAR is always right.