Injured draft picks...GM to blame?

AFJF

Does the GM deserve blame when draft picks with no injury history get hurt?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yes, injuries are the GM's fault
    • No, it's the NFL. Guys get hurt

I mean, he's drafted numerous guys with injury histories who are often, injured.

Becton, Wilson, Perrine, Zuniga, Davis, Nasirildeen and like, they're all injured.                                                                                       

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, freestater said:

You can keep pretending thats all it about if you like. I won't be joining you. Its about not being able to keep up with an edge, not being prepared for camp, missing time last year then this year, then he'll have to get up to speed with with an o-line apparently swimming with this new offense. The other guy who was there has been a stud. You can go on about how Wirfs is an RT too, if you like. I also won't be pretending we didn't need one of those at the time. 

This is about whether or not his injuries are due to his weight.  They have not been up to this point.  

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I mean, he's drafted numerous guys with injury histories who are often, injured.

Becton, Wilson, Perrine, Zuniga, Davis, Nasirildeen and like, they're all injured.                                                                                       

How extensive were these injury histories?  Guys who missed a few games as countless players do, or were they fragile guys who missed huge chunks or entire seasons?  I'm sure Becton played 20+ games in 2018/2019 so not sure how many games he could have missed in the two seasons before he was drafted?

And to each his own, but IMO day 3 of the draft is ideal for snagging high ceiling guys who drop due to injury.  Opportunity to get a round 1-3 talent in rounds 5-7 is worth the risk.

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This is about whether or not his injuries are due to his weight.  They have not been up to this point.  

I already stipulated that you made a fair point, keep hammering away if you like. 

When the guy you pass on is a perennial stud and the guy you took can't make the field, you have criticism coming your way. This isn't about whether Becton's injuries are due to his weight, I get that you'd like to set that as the parameter of the argument, but its not. This is about a GM producing results. Results like pro bowls or IR. Some results get you lauded, others get you criticized. JD is not some sacred cow above critique. Myself and others really would've liked Wirfs, but JD didn't take him because he thought Becton would have a better career in the pros. That has been an awful decision thus far. If it were Douglas' one glaring mistake, then it might be a blip on radar. Unfortunately, it looks suspiciously close to a disturbing pattern of poor decisions. 

7 minutes ago, freestater said:

I already stipulated that you made a fair point, keep hammering away if you like. 

When the guy you pass on is a perennial stud and the guy you took can't make the field, you have criticism coming your way. This isn't about whether Becton's injuries are due to his weight, I get that you'd like to set that as the parameter of the argument, but its not. This is about a GM producing results. Results like pro bowls or IR. Some results get you lauded, others get you criticized. JD is not some sacred cow above critique. Myself and others really would've liked Wirfs, but JD didn't take him because he thought Becton would have a better career in the pros. That has been an awful decision thus far. If it were Douglas' one glaring mistake, then it might be a blip on radar. Unfortunately, it looks suspiciously close to a disturbing pattern of poor decisions. 

Criticize away.  Mekhi rag dolls defenders in a way I've never seen in my life.  If his head coach wasn't an idiot last season and a dude didn't roll up his leg this season, there's no need for this conversation.  If you don't like the guy you're going to find ways to blame him for things beyond his control and that's your right as a fan.

We have different views on what  GM should be able to do.  I think he should be able to identify good football players.  I don't think he should be able to predict the likelihood of a freak injury. 

29 minutes ago, AFJF said:

How extensive were these injury histories?  Guys who missed a few games as countless players do, or were they fragile guys who missed huge chunks or entire seasons?  I'm sure Becton played 20+ games in 2018/2019 so not sure how many games he could have missed in the two seasons before he was drafted?

And to each his own, but IMO day 3 of the draft is ideal for snagging high ceiling guys who drop due to injury.  Opportunity to get a round 1-3 talent in rounds 5-7 is worth the risk.

Wilson was injured a lot in college.  Zuniga was injured a lot in college.  Perrine was a nagging injury every week in college. Davis was always injured in college.  Becton, had an injury in college, though not like we're seeing in the NFL.  They were all selected in the 3rd our higher, no? 

23 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Wilson was injured a lot in college.  Zuniga was injured a lot in college.  Perrine was a nagging injury every week in college. Davis was always injured in college.  Becton, had an injury in college, though not like we're seeing in the NFL.  They were all selected in the 3rd our higher, no? 

I guess it comes down to each person's definition of "a lot".  To me, it's a guy who is out for an extended period of time multiple times or a guy who seems to have to sit every couple of weeks.  How do you define a guy being injured a lot or "always"?  Also "injured" vs "hurt".  

Wilson had one significant injury and still played 30 games in 3 years.

Perine played 50 games in college in 4 years and logged over 500 touches.

Zuniga played 35 games in 3 years before his injury as a senior held him to 5 games.  I recall reading that he hurt the ankle, then a Gase-like decision meant he came back too early and re-injured the same ankle.

Davis played 45 games in 4 seasons.

Becton looks to have started 23 games from 2017-2018 and can't find anything about missing time in 2019.

None of these are what I would consider being injured "a lot" or "all the time".  More in line with guys playing football, getting nicked up and missing a few games.  If teams start taking every guy who fits that description off their board, they're not going to have many guys to choose from on draft day.

Oh, and with day 3 guys I was referring to Nasirildeen.

Edited by AFJF