2021 Jets through 1st Quarter 0-44

Paradis

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

scripting is idiocy in any case. imo.  I know, i know all sorts of guys make it work.  I hate it.

it is once again over coaching  over analysis over prep.

You scout a team before you play them and then the 1st play of the game they have 8 men up when you really did not expect that...oh but the script says slam up the gut with the RB.

The only time i'm fine with some scripted plays is if i have a vet qb who i totally trust to change the play.  If i have a rookie you are forcing him into bad plays right away.

Dumb.

If you are a smart oc and play caller no need at all for scripting.

I get where you are coming from, but that is not the overall point of the script at all. 

few things:

No script is iron clad, I dont know any OC's that have a first play scripted, a defense comes out where it absolutely will not work, and they run it anyway because "yolo its my script". Its just not the case. 

The script is based off of how you think the defense will align to certain formations, and what plays you think you can get off of that.  During a script, I may purposely put some new formations on the field, some unbalanced, some TE sets, maybe a bunch or stacked WR set, different personnell groupings.  All of this is to try to get information to see what the defenses game plan is coming in.  

When game planning you have an idea based on film study how defenses will play certain things, the script gives you indicators on their adjustments coming in to play you.   So going back to the point before what am I looking for? Do they stay in a 40, do they shift gaps to unbalanced, do they run with motion?  If not who is taking the motion man in man coverage?  Do they bump the outside backer out to bunch?  Things like that. 

A script is not just "ok these plays we think will work so we'll just run them in order because i think thats what will work". Its more "heres what we like, and heres what we need to see how they adjust to". Ive been apart of a lot of good offenses, mostly we script 10 plays, and you may not even run them in order, but its the 10 plays you feel you need information on to start the game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

i've hung a lantern on that, and the got a luke warm reception at best. The only game we won (and even competed in really) was largely on the heels of Wilson bootlegging and scrambling to go off script. Take it for what it's worth

A larger product of wilsons inability to operate early in games comes from his discipline within the offense.  He has gotten in a habit of passing off open reads to check for bigger plays, then when he comes back to the read its no longer open.  Being disciplined with the progression is important, he's been trying to do a little too much in the early part of the season.  It worked out for him against the titans, but other games so far it has not. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Agreed the worst part this is not a young aggressive team on offense or defense that will make mistakes but will make plays.  It is a slow tentative conservative team who still gets hammered.

Well, we have a young QB doing precisely like that but y'all are killing him for it. 

8 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

A larger product of wilsons inability to operate early in games comes from his discipline within the offense.  He has gotten in a habit of passing off open reads to check for bigger plays, then when he comes back to the read its no longer open.  Being disciplined with the progression is important, he's been trying to do a little too much in the early part of the season.  It worked out for him against the titans, but other games so far it has not. 

i could see that. So messaging from OC/CS should be pretty clear on that issue though, no? 6 weeks in a row of doing that?... 1 week of not knowing where to line up has Mims buried in the Sahara... Why is Wilson given such a wide birth then. 

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

i could see that. So messaging from OC/CS should be pretty clear on that issue though, no? 6 weeks in a row of doing that?... 1 week of not knowing where to line up has Mims buried in the Sahara... Why is Wilson given such a wide birth then. 

I think thats what they were saying about playing "boring". Take the check downs, take the open throws.  Not every play has to be a 60 yd td or pass.  Its hard though, because you cant handcuff the kid either, part of why you drafted him is that special ability to convert chances down the field.  

Best example is the Davis TD against the Titans.  He has Cole WIDE OPEN on the deep cross, passes it up and moves davis deep to get the TD.  He just has to find the balance of ok this is a time to do that, and this is a time to go through the progression and hit the open man.  When playing QB those nuances take time and experience. 

In regards to mims, I get more annoyed as a coach with mental mistakes like lining up improperly than not going through reads correctly, for me one is an easy fix. Also, youre always going to give a wider berth to your rookie hopefully franchise QB over a WR. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is just really bad coaching unfortunately and this is coming from someone who was psyched for the Saleh hiring. Sigh…

Absolutely. 

This is why I can't go crazy on Douglas yet - we have no evidence that these players are being properly motivated and/or put in a position to succeed. The team has zero first quarter points in 6 games, has been blown out three times, and was down 16-0 and 17-0 in the other two losses.

Bottom line? That's a coaching issue.