1 minute ago, Saul Goodman said:

Joe Douglas deserves a 10-year extension even after this disastrous start to the season.  

Joe told them he needs 6 years for his "rebuild", I have no doubt next year he will ask for more time, with more rebuild talk, doing it "the right way" Woody eats this crap up. Its so easy. 

Easiest 3 mil a year job in the world. 

• Upvote 3

No he does have a point.

Far more of the scrutiny has been directed at Saleh, LaFleur and even Wilson despite all three of them being a product of Joe Douglas and have having only had 7 games.

Joe Douglas has had 39 and even if you want to discount year one like a coward then his record is still 3-20 since. That’s abysmal by and measure and it’s showing no signs of improvement despite the resources he’s had in the draft and FA.

He’s the one who should be under the most pressure, he should probably be out already tbh and a franchise with standards and ambition would have probably pulled the trigger.

His recruitment has been objectively terrible and some can’t wait to give him 5 more Top 100 picks in 2022. It boggles the mind where the loyalty towards a guy whose only experience is failure. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
4 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

No he does have a point.

Far more of the scrutiny has been directed at Saleh, LaFleur and even Wilson despite all three of them being a product of Joe Douglas and have having only had 7 games.

Joe Douglas has had 39 and even if you want to discount year one like a coward then his record is still 3-20 since. That’s abysmal by and measure and it’s showing no signs of improvement despite the resources he’s had in the draft and FA.

He’s the one who should be under the most pressure, he should probably be out already tbh and a franchise with standards and ambition would have probably pulled the trigger.

His recruitment has been objectively terrible and some can’t wait to give him 5 more Top 100 picks in 2022. It boggles the mind where the loyalty towards a guy whose only experience is failure. 

This is all true for 

10 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

No he does have a point.

giphy.gif

SAR I

• Haha 3
Just now, undertow said:

There's definitely a bizarro cult like fandom of JD in the fanbase but I'd say the media has coddled him more then fans.

Agreed.  That's why today is a banner day.  The day the media turns is the day that the end of the tunnel starts to come into view.

October 27, 2021 shall be remembered and celebrated as the day this franchise finally took a turn towards a bright future.  God bless Mark Canizzaro.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2
7 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

That jumped right out when reading the article online this morning..these writers get too close to the coaches and GM...they want to have access so they trade content for it.

I'm surprised that Dave Gettleman hasn't had his podium presser moment yet, when he utters "Why are you guys coming after me when I'm not even the worst NFL GM in this town?"

SAR I

• Upvote 2

Finally the floodgates are starting to open. Who knows what the future holds (meaning he may turn it around), but Douglas's record so far leaves me longing for the day he is canned. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agreed.  That's why today is a banner day.  The day the media turns is the day that the end of the tunnel starts to come into view.

October 27, 2021 shall be remembered and celebrated as the day this franchise finally took a turn towards a bright future.  God bless Mark Canizzaro.

SAR I

I hope the guy succeeds I don't root against the Jets but the days of "trust the process" and "be patient we are rebuilding" should be over in year 3.  Show progress and put a competitive team on the field or it's time to go.  

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, undertow said:

I hope the guy succeeds I don't root against the Jets but the days of "trust the process" and "be patient we are rebuilding" should be over in year 3.  Show progress and put a competitive team on the field or it's time to go.  

Exactly.  He can't pick players.  He's headed to 3-30.  Enough is enough.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, undertow said:

There's definitely a bizarro cult like fandom of JD in the fanbase but I'd say the media has coddled him more then fans.

To be fair, he has made some great trades and has drafted two OL that appear to be long term starters for this team (something we have all been begging for), he has also went out and used early draft capital to get WRs and used a chunk of cap space to get Davis. And he drafted a QB early. 

So there are a lot of positives in terms of approach, but at some point you need to play consistent competitive football. I think the fanbase could stomach 1-5 if it was a bunch of 24-21 type losses. 

Instead, we have seen horrible offense on top of horrible defense leading to too many games where we are toast by the second quarter. 

So either JD has failed to supplement the roster properly or picked the wrong HC. Either way, it is on JD. 

Would I fire him after this year? Probably not. I think he still deserves to fix things with the 11 picks he accumulated. But I won't be upset if we did. 

Saleh on the other hand could be fired tomorrow. I still hate the way he has handled Wilson and the way he has coddled the defense. It should have always been the other way around.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

To be fair, he has made some great trades and has drafted two OL that appear to be long term starters for this team (something we have all been begging for), he has also went out and used early draft capital to get WRs and used a chunk of cap space to get Davis. And he drafted a QB early. 

So there are a lot of positives in terms of approach, but at some point you need to play consistent competitive football. I think the fanbase could stomach 1-5 if it was a bunch of 24-21 type losses. 

Instead, we have seen horrible offense on top of horrible defense leading to too many games where we are toast by the second quarter. 

So either JD has failed to supplement the roster properly or picked the wrong HC. Either way, it is on JD. 

Would I fire him after this year? Probably not. I think he still deserves to fix things with the 11 picks he accumulated. But I won't be upset if we did. 

Saleh on the other hand could be fired tomorrow. I still hate the way he has handled Wilson and the way he has coddled the defense. It should have always been the other way around.

To be fair, he was straddled with Darnold when he first got here - and I think now we can all see Sam is a liability.  JD understood that and moved on sooner than later.

And now he has a rookie starting - that is going through some growing pains.

You guys want to bucket everything under the same umbrella, but circumstances matter.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agree with the trades, the problem is the return on the trades. When your strategy is tear down to the studs and build through the draft you better be a really really good drafter and I dont see that. 

As for the Oline, lets see when and if Becton comes back this year. He has to stay healthy. His FA signings however on the line, have been poor. 

WR's Mimms and Moore? Ghosts this year

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

JD could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and Woody isn't firing him until he has 2 years or less on his contract remaining. That's how Woody stacks it to avoid paying more than 2 HCs and 2 GMs at the same time, which we have been doing almost uninterrupted for going on 10 years.

• Sad 2
  • Post of the Week 1
2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

And yet, even if you listen closely, you hear almost no griping from Jets fans

He’s referring to FAN callers. Cannizzarro is a columnist and hasn’t come close to an actual Jets fan since 1996.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

To be fair, he has made some great trades and has drafted two OL that appear to be long term starters for this team

His trades all suck because the players he drafts suck.  All he has accomplished is trading away talent and replacing it with nothing.

He drafted Becton who can't stay healthy and fundamentally is a fragile player.  He drafted AVT who looks good but he's a guard.  He didn't draft a center. 

He also didn't fix CB, he's about to lose his S, his WR's all suck, we don't have a starting caliber RB, we have no TE's, he thinks he's smart by picking up cheap players with a history of injury, and he has a fetish for small WR's and RB's.  And he thought that pairing a rookie coaching staff and a rookie quarterback was genius.  He is a complete disaster.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

Joe Douglas is terrible the next guy we hire will likely be terrible, woody’s pushed out as owner then another cheap bastard replaces him but will probably be less engaging with fans. We fire terrible Saleh and LaFleur, Zach will have to learn a new system 

At this point wtf can we really do??? 

NYJ are the biggest jokes in all of professional sports  

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Joe Douglas is terrible the next guy we hire will likely be terrible, woody’s pushed out as owner then another cheap bastard replaces him but will probably be less engaging with fans. We fire terrible Saleh and LaFleur, Zach will have to learn a new system 

It is true, we are in a very bad place. Its like accept incompetence for consistency. 

Or realize our mistakes, cut bait, but have to start over. 

You can thank JD and his "rebuild"

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Here's the plan.  It's the only thing that will work.  Don't tell the Jets Illuminati.  They'll ruin it:

We have to steal another team's established coaching staff and front office.  We need to do this by tampering with a group that has been elite for awhile but is about to hit a down period.  We need to be the place they can come, be overcompensated, be given complete control, and pick up where they left off as a comfortable group but in a new city with young players and a supportive owner.

This worked once before.  It can work again.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Here's the plan.  It's the only thing that will work.  Don't tell the Jets Illuminati.  They'll ruin it:

We have to steal another team's established coaching staff and front office.  We need to do this by tampering with a group that has been elite for awhile but is about to hit a down period.  We need to be the place they can come, be overcompensated, be given complete control, and pick up where they left off as a comfortable group but in a new city with young players and a supportive owner.

SAR I

here is what would really happen...

Rex Hogan get promoted... Woody is never paying for 2 GMs over the next 3 years...

then you get a retread coach cause who good is going to take a job after you fired the last guy after 1 year. a guy who failed somewhere else and would never get another starting job except this one.

then next year when this team wins 8 or more games with JD players and draft picks start playing good while our new GM picks a box safety with one of our #1 picks you all will be sorry he is gone.

we sat thru the growing pains of a new HC and GM and dont want to give them enough time to see if they learned anything. so we can sit thru the same gowning pains with 2 new guys...and 2 years later we do it again.

• Post of the Week 1
36 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

So like steal the Steelers front office and Tomlin?

There is no booster with a big enough blank check that would convince them to do that. 

I wish I had a $1 for every NY sports Columnist / radio personality that uses the Parcell’s “You’re only as good as your record “ mumbo-jumbo. Really? How many out there thought we were in for a winning season this year?

JD took this job knowing he was here for a total Re-build. Hence, the 6 year contract. All you guys out there asking for his head after 2 years have at it. But, it’s not happening. 
The Johnsons seem like they’re in it for the long haul this time.

I’m not saying that I’m convinced that it’ll work this time, but we need to give this JD-Saleh-Zach experiment until 2023.

live with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Joe Douglas has had 39 and even if you want to discount year one like a coward....

I have to say, I do not understand where "cowardice" enters this discussion, or how being factually accurate makes one a "coward".

Joe Douglas did not build the 2019 team.  He was brought in by the Head Coach/Acting GM long after the draft and after free agency, with only training camp left to "manage the roster" under the aforementioned Head Coach/Former Acting GM still in house.

Perhaps you might have expected JD to come in at that late stage and in defiance of the man who helped hire him (Gase) to tear down the whole roster and make massive changes.....during training camp.....but I think that's entirely unrealistic.

The 2020 and 2021 rosters are 100% on JD.  And as you say.....

.....then his record is still 3-20 since.   That’s abysmal by and measure and it’s showing no signs of improvement despite the resources he’s had in the draft and FA.

Absolutely true to-date.  This is where the evaluation/criticism of JD belongs, as he squarely and fully owns these two rosters, even if Gase was still involved in 2020 and likely still possessed material organizational power at that point.

Perhaps.  However, his fate likely lies tied directly to the fate of his handpicked Head Coach.

If JD is to go, I doubt it's in 2021.  I honestly doubt it'll be 2022 either.  After 2023 is when I'd expect Woody to act, if acting is needed.  And then. at that point, I expect a full house cleaning, JD, Saleh, everyone, all at once.

I don't see JD being fired and Saleh retained.  So when one goes, all will be going. 

It's interesting, because on Draft Day, and in Free Agency, my perception is the vast bulk of this board likes the vast bulk of his moves and picks.  

Many people who expressed that on draft day now want to hang him for poor picks and pickups.

Hypocrisy of fans is no defense of JD, of course.  Just an interesting observation IMO is all.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

I've never liked this guy's face or name. Beat writer? As if. 

More like a day manager at a local parts distributer. Used to haul but married into the gig. No one really likes him and Luke at the tire department actually considering hurting him, 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Wit said:

So like steal the Steelers front office and Tomlin?

There is no booster with a big enough blank check that would convince them to do that. 

Steelers, Chiefs, Titans, Bills, Ravens, Colts, Rams, within the next few years they'll hit the skids, it's inevitable. 

But I'd go straight at the Saints right now.  Offer Loomis and Peyton a percent of the franchise.  Then tamper again and go get Kamara too.  Just like '97.

SAR I

2 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I wish I had a $1 for every NY sports Columnist / radio personality that uses the Parcell’s “You’re only as good as your record “ mumbo-jumbo. Really? How many out there thought we were in for a winning season this year?

JD took this job knowing he was here for a total Re-build. Hence, the 6 year contract. All you guys out there asking for his head after 2 years have at it. But, it’s not happening. 
The Johnsons seem like they’re in it for the long haul this time.

I’m not saying that I’m convinced that it’ll work this time, but we need to give this JD-Saleh-Zach experiment until 2023.

live with it.

best thing he did for himself was that 6 year contract. 

all this nonsense about tampering or steeling GMs from other teams is so stupid. what makes them think Woody will pay all that money to another GM for 3 years. hes here till the end of 2022 at the earliest.  

• Upvote 1