The 2021 NFL trade deadline is set for 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 2.

rox

54 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

A 1-5 team shouldn't use draft capital to fix the oline at the deadline. You have to overpay at the deadline for players. You are competing with teams who are desperate for help to win a Super Bowl. The time to fix the oline is in the offseason. Then again, 1-5 teams generally don't trade draft picks for 3rd string QBs........

I would disagree with this.

So much this year is about evaluating the talent (or lack there of) that you have....

When the OL is this porous it's very difficult to make any real determinations.

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

Saleh's idea of using safties to play LB was quite odd. I get the notion it has become a passing league etc etc but it doesnt seem to be working. Even withthe inuries to Cashman and Davis - who knows what they really would have been able to contribute - I agree LB is a desperate need.  Mosely is the only LB we have that makes an impact.  Lil QW has been good and makes a nice depth piece.  Will be interesting how they go foward withthe LB position next year.  

Even with a healthy Cashman – Yes I know, it's an oxymoron – The LB corp is piss poor. Quincy made some dynamic plays here and there. Mosely's tackles were usually 4 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. He has 1 TFL. Maye has 3, Hell Michael Carter the second has 2 TFL. It's a need. Fix the run defense, and make teams one dimensional. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

My trade deadline prediction is that Joe D doesn’t trade Maye, trades Crowder to Baltimore and does nothing to address OL/TE

I hope I’m wrong because I really want him to bring in Hurst,Engram,Howard or Njoku

It woul dbe nice to have a vet TE but there are many good options for TE in next year's draft and FA.  I can see JD taking 2 TE's in next year's draft - probably 3rd 4th rounds - Ruckert, Stonger, Otton, La Porta, Kolar, Krull, Whyle, Billingsley, Kuthie, Ferguson - All these guys are GOOD with high upside. Regradles we will have 2 new shiny TE's next year for Wilson.

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Thirded (is that a word?; it should be).  I think we're fine at center & obviously left guard.  I was with you Paradis at TE a week ago but then didn't see any first round tight ends on any 2022 draft lists so my views on this have changed.  Plus an effective TE is often a rookie quarterback's best friend.  Our LBs have been decimated but I think offense and Wilson's development trump Defense, especially if Davis and Mosely are healthy going forward. 

Goodbye Maye & Crowder. 

Hello RG & TE.

Oh dude.... just wait. It takes the proverbial draft community a while longer to catch up on TEs.... This is the deepest class i can recall in sometime... well, maybe strongest is a better word. There's a handful of good to great playmaking TEs this round. True TEs. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

It woul dbe nice to have a vet TE but there are many good options for TE in next year's draft and FA.  I can see JD taking 2 TE's in next year's draft - probably 3rd 4th rounds - Ruckert, Stonger, Otton, La Porta, Kolar, Krull, Whyle, Billingsley, Kuthie, Ferguson - All these guys are GOOD with high upside. Regradles we will have 2 new shiny TE's next year for Wilson.

I sure hope so.  I cannot believe that JD ran with the trio this year.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think we need a shutdown CB cause they aren't playing that kind of D.  The kids have been okay and are developing.  If they go for a CB, I only see it being a value deal.  

At this point I don't think we even have 3 healthy LB on roster and that includes safeties we are converting to LB.  

Revis, under Rex, catapulted the Jets into back to back AFC Championship games. Saleh needs to get his head out his azz and get a shut down CB. DL helps the CB's. Guess what? CB's help the DL. It goes both ways. Revis was the #1 Jets player that had the greatest impact of any player in Jets history - besides Namath.  There are a number of very goos CB's coming out in teh draft next year - Stingley, Elam, Booth, Gardner, McDuffie, Wright, Hodges- Tomlinson (recognize the name?). I'd be thrilled to get one of these guys and the last 3 could be had in Round 2.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Oh dude.... just wait. It takes the proverbial draft community a while longer to catch up on TEs.... This is the deepest class i can recall in sometime... well, maybe strongest is a better word. There's a handful of good to great playmaking TEs this round. True TEs. 

I’d really like to see a deadline move for one of the vet TEs out there right now and really want to see Joe D use a valuable pick on a TE as well

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

Revis, under Rex, catapulted the Jets into back to back AFC Championship games. Saleh needs to get his head out his azz and get a shut down CB. DL helps the CB's. Guess what? CB's help the DL. It goes both ways. Revis was the #1 Jets player that had the greatest impact of any player in Jets history - besides Namath.  There are a number of very goos CB's coming out in teh draft next year - Stingley, Elam, Booth, Gardner, McDuffie, Wright, Hodges- Tomlinson (recognize the name?). I'd be thrilled to get one of these guys and the last 3 could be had in Round 2.

Did you ever like this hire?  Cause this is not the D that Ryan wanted to play.  It's about as far from it as you can get.  Rex played a 3-4 with LBs over 270.  The corners covered man and did little else.  Saleh isn't looking for any of that.  The LBs are 235ish and they are playing a ton of zone.  If Saleh decides to completely switch his D because a team a decade ago made the AFC championship game he can go coach somewhere else. 

I like cover corners and blitzing.  It is probably my favorite D, but that is not what these guys are doing and it has worked elsewhere.

I don't want to buy any talent.

I'm fine selling talent we have intention of keeping beyond this year (Crowder, Maye).

This year is over (from a competitive standpoint) and Wilson's season is effectively over (due to his injury, and the fact he's been the worst QB in the NFL as a starter, he clearly wasn't ready).

Wilson can sit the remainder of 2021 and watch, someone else (White, Flacco, Johnson) can take the hits, while Wilson is taught how to play QB at the pro level.

Regroup, draft well, pay to get some free agent talents, hope for better next year.

There is no fixing this year, certainly not by expensive trade-deadline trades.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Did you ever like this hire?  Cause this is not the D that Ryan wanted to play.  It's about as far from it as you can get.  Rex played a 3-4 with LBs over 270.  The corners covered man and did little else.  Saleh isn't looking for any of that.  The LBs are 235ish and they are playing a ton of zone.  If Saleh decides to completely switch his D because a team a decade ago made the AFC championship game he can go coach somewhere else. 

I like cover corners and blitzing.  It is probably my favorite D, but that is not what these guys are doing and it has worked elsewhere.

I get it. BUT whats wrong with having a solid CB with very good upside.  It's like Saleh is trying to prove he's smarter than everone else by going with 4th 5th rounders at the CB position.  Its a passing league right. So get GOOD cb's to offest that.  We have some nice kids, hall, echols, Carter, Guidry. Nice group to bulid around but Its not like we dont have the capital or picks to get a prospect in round 2 next year.  Sorry but I was sick to my stomach watching Ryan and that peashooter pick us apart with 5 yard throws ALL DAY LONG.    

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't want to buy any talent.

I'm fine selling talent we have intention of keeping beyond this year (Crowder, Maye).

This year is over (from a competitive standpoint) and Wilson's season is effectively over (due to his injury, and the fact he's been the worst QB in the NFL as a starter, he clearly wasn't ready).

Wilson can sit the remainder of 2021 and watch, someone else (White, Flacco, Johnson) can take the hits, while Wilson is taught how to play QB at the pro level.

Regroup, draft well, pay to get some free agent talents, hope for better next year.

There is no fixing this year, certainly not by expensive trade-deadline trades.

Sit and watch. Next year, regroup.  So many areas to cleanu p. But they wont. They'll stick Wilson back in there as soon as he's healed up. Dumb and dumber. 

22 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I get it. BUT whats wrong with having a solid CB with very good upside.  It's like Saleh is trying to prove he's smarter than everone else by going with 4th 5th rounders at the CB position.  Its a passing league right. So get GOOD cb's to offest that.  We have some nice kids, hall, echols, Carter, Guidry. Nice group to bulid around but Its not like we dont have the capital or picks to get a prospect in round 2 next year.  Sorry but I was sick to my stomach watching Ryan and that peashooter pick us apart with 5 yard throws ALL DAY LONG.    

Saleh has been here for 1 draft.   1.

Before the draft, EVERYONE stressed going offense to help the QB.   So, JD drafted offense, he went QB, line, WR, running back.  How was Saleh supposed to get a 1st or 2nd round corner out of that?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Its a passing league right. So get GOOD cb's to offest that. 

A pass rush offsets the passing game far more effectively. The problem with CBs is it's far easier to line up 5 good WRs than it is 5 good CBs at which point the offense simply attacks the weak link. That's what teams did to the jets with revis and cro. Even with good CBs if a QB has enough time WRs will almost always beat CBs. You need competent CBs, and a monster pass rush. 

25 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I am WAAAAAAAAAY more worried about the run D.  I don't have a problem with looking for more corners.  I think they will, but they are not in position to make a deal like teams did for Ramsey or Marcus Peters.  If there is a value move to be made, or a pick next year, sure. 

The thing that concerns me is that they are not great at stopping the run AND not getting turnovers.  That is a horrible combo.  I would think it might just be luck, or being soft as they develop, but Saleh's D was not particularly great at generating turnovers even when they were good.  In 2018 SF was historically bad and we are matching that now.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am WAAAAAAAAAY more worried about the run D.  I don't have a problem with looking for more corners.  I think they will, but they are not in position to make a deal like teams did for Ramsey or Marcus Peters.  If there is a value move to be made, or a pick next year, sure. 

The thing that concerns me is that they are not great at stopping the run AND not getting turnovers.  That is a horrible combo.  I would think it might just be luck, or being soft as they develop, but Saleh's D was not particularly great at generating turnovers even when they were good.  In 2018 SF was historically bad and we are matching that now.   

Why they only gave up 10 yards a run last week.  Lets focus on the really really bad aspects of the defense. Giving up 5-8 yard button hooks.  Screen passes ALL DAY LONG. No pressure from front four. No INT's or fumbles caused. Long long long drives given up. Did I miss anything?

30 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Except TEs are a QB's best friend, safety valve, and something a young struggling QB would benefit from.

Except his problem is ignoring the easy outs. He’s not short on options of open WRs and TEs in the flat and running 5 yard slants. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Would you trade Maye to Giants for Evan Engram?

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Saleh has been here for 1 draft.   1.

Before the draft, EVERYONE stressed going offense to help the QB.   So, JD drafted offense, he went QB, line, WR, running back.  How was Saleh supposed to get a 1st or 2nd round corner out of that?

So you do it in 2022 draft - get a cab in round 2 - edge/OL/ CB/LB it’s all dependent on who’s there at the time we pick but they could easily get these 4 spots filled filled the top 4 draft picks - and there FA and trades as well- enough of this nonsense going with inferior draft picks all over the secondary. Get some balance.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Who the fck is going to give you that for a lb that is massively over paid and sat out essentially two years?  No one.

I want them to trade Mosely out of sympathy. He’s clearly miserable here and it’s a waste of a good player. Quinnen Williams’ brother has looked pretty good. Let him take Mosley’s spot

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, SR24 said:

I’d really like to see a deadline move for one of the vet TEs out there right now and really want to see Joe D use a valuable pick on a TE as well

But who? there scenarios where one can land a useful TE that doesn't require a new contract or isn't overpriced.... I dunno. Who is that? 

18 hours ago, section314 said:

Would you trade Maye to Giants for Evan Engram?

Ehh.. Engram is a name only at this point, sadly. And while there's some sense in moving Maye in a lost season - Engram is unlikely to do much and the lockerroom message is - "OK we're mailing it in, say good bye to the last tenured player..."

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

But who? there scenarios where one can land a useful TE that doesn't require a new contract or isn't overpriced.... I dunno. Who is that? 

Ehh.. Engram is a name only at this point, sadly. And while there's some sense in moving Maye in a lost season - Engram is unlikely to do much and the lockerroom message is - "OK we're mailing it in, say good bye to the last tenured player..."

I’d go for Hayden Hurst in Atlanta. He’s not a world beater by any means but he can make some plays, his options already been declined and the Falcons have Pitts. Shouldn’t be too expensive to get or extend after this year