Inside Story Jets team in Disarray

26 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

One long-time league insider told me, “It’s criminal the Jets had no veteran quarterback on the roster through camp and the season to help mentor Zach Wilson.” The Jets wanted to sign Brian Hoyer during the offseason for just this purpose, but Douglas gave him a lowball offer. Hoyer rejected the offer, signed a nice deal with the Patriots, and is doing wonders mentoring New England’s rookie quarterback Mac Jones. Jones put up 54 points against the Jets last Sunday, beating them for a second time this season.

:bag:

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

I just want to say I think this take is complete BS. it sounds like typical anti jet beat write crap. Notice the multiple sources are never named and basically its just whatever quote he needs to full fill his limited take. Just sing robbie and over pay guys thats the ticket give me a braek

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

I can't add much to this great Article Tony P wrote and the posts that followed.  What I will add is:

• I do suspect that the Johnsons held JD back in his spending.  I also believe that JD believes that you spend in FA to complement your draft picks, and that he was going to draft a foundation first.  The problem with that approach is when your draft picks don't work out. We have seen teams, including successful Jets and Patriots teams, to use FA to compensation for bad drafts.
    • But I also believe that some FAs choose not to sign with the Jets for even good money.  The Jets need to show the NFL that they are functional and can draft/coach well before real FAs will sign with them.
  • Everyone has to grow into their role, but Lafleur may need to spend more time on the drawing board.  Maybe he needs to OC a college team or something.   If things do not drastically turn around, he needs to be replaced or supplemented with someone who is OC except in name.  I think that is what Knapp was going to do.
  • The Becton issue is very troubling.  That is all on JD.  We all knew from reading the articles that Wirfs was the guy setting the Iowa weight room record.  He was mature and hardworking.   This videos of Becton running in place are baloney.  Becton needs to get his act together.  
  • JD should hire Scot M as a consultant to help him with personnel.  Pay him a fortune.   I think that for this upcoming offseason coaching and scouts needs upgrading and supplementation.  If the Jets are not much, much better next year, JD and Saleh will go with 2 years left on the contract-another really bad Jets look.
  • I would not expect any veterans to be pushing through injuries on this team.  Use IR when necessary and play and look for younger players.  Every player knows that they have a limited number of snaps or collisions on their bodies-they are not wasting it on this team.

One of the top posts I've read on here in a few weeks

• Upvote 1

Just now, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I just want to say I think this take is complete BS. it sounds like typical anti jet beat write crap. Notice the multiple sources are never named and basically its just whatever quote he needs to full fill his limited take. Just sing robbie and over pay guys thats the ticket give me a braek

Jets fans wouldn't just shoot the messenger, we'd string up his horse for good measure.

blazing-saddles-hanging-horse – Knowledge is Power

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, jbt said:

dam if we had Hoyer we would of put up 54 points.   maybe they will let McDaniels go and we can sign him

it worked so well with Sam and McCown

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Is Brian Hoyer also the reason they only scored 16 points against the Dolphins? Or 13 against the Saints? Or 17 against the Buccaneers?

While emotionally unsatisfying, complex problems often have many inter-related causes. Disingenuous to dismiss the article by pointing to one of like 20 problems listed and say "Brian Hoyer wouldn't give us 50 points."

• Sympathy 1

In conversations with players, the word that often popped up to describe the Jets was “dysfunctional.” Several players who were on the 2020 roster say the situation today is not much better than it was a year ago under Gase.

I wish they would be more specific.  Is Saleh disorganized with no real plan?  Anyone can see that the Jets do not function properly in any way.  

There is no animus towards Saleh — everyone I spoke with personally likes him. 

Players tell me there is no sense of direction and things are often in disarray. Multiple people told me Saleh overworks the team during the week, and players are gassed come Sunday’s game. I’m hearing similar criticisms coming out of Jacksonville.

"no sense of direction" Is this something the players actually said or is it the writer's words?  It's not in quotes, so I'll assume it's Pauline's phrasing there.  Again, I'd like the specifics.  The overworking doesn't surprise me much as I think younger, newer HCs tend to do that, but under the current CBA, how much can he really be "overworking them" without violating the terms of the agreement?  The players should see what two a days were like some 25 years ago and earlier.  With the extreme limits on time on the field by the CBA, how in the world can any coach really "gas" them?  I'm asking.  I don't know, but the article made me wonder.

There is a strong belief, both in the league and from some who cover the Jets daily, that offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur is over his head.

gee, ya think?  It's the most obvious thing on planet Earth.

This was initially told to me from multiple sources early in the season, and the situation has only gotten worse. They question his game plan and his use (or misuse) of players.

Fire him now.  He is goddam poison to Zach Wilson. Let Cavanugh handle the rest of the season, and next time do a real search and don't hire the HC's buddy just because they were on the same team.   Make a f-kin statement Saleh! 

Sources believe if the Jets continue to be non-competitive and Saleh is forced to make changes to the coaching staff, LaFleur will be the first casualty at season’s end.

WHy would Saleh have to be "forced" to make changes?  He should want the entire offensive coaching staff changed.  If he has to be forced by Douglas, then Saleh should be fired too.  Admit you made a mistake and move on.  Otherwise Woody Johnson and Douglas continue to torture the fan base for another 4 years with this crap?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, peebag said:

Ho-hum, the same info has been brought up on this forum many times.

Yep, all things we have thought and discussed. JD will have to open up the wallet this offseason, cannot have a team with a bunch of rookies. Need more vets to show the kids how it is done. Need to beef up the coaching staff also. Especially on offense.

10 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Notice things are not truly quoted either. Most of the phrasing is that of the writer, but made to sound like it was from the (of course) anonymous players.  

Very cheesy journalism... TBH.  You need quotes, not vague overgeneralized writer-created slogans.  Whatever.  

We already know that LaFleur and Saleh suck.  And it's become quite clear to all that Joe Douglas is struggling at this job. 

But I guess this article will bring it more to light to the rest of the public, so there's that.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

While emotionally unsatisfying, complex problems often have many inter-related causes. Disingenuous to dismiss the article by pointing to one of like 20 problems listed and say "Brian Hoyer wouldn't give us 50 points."

I’m not dismissing the article in the least. Everything in it rings true, save the argument that Brian Hoyer is “doing wonders mentoring Mac Jones.” 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

"According to many I’ve spoken with who deal directly with Douglas, “He spends money in free agency as though it was the last dollar coming from his wallet.”

I have been screaming this for 2 years now. Dude isn't "smart" with money, hes downright cheap. The part of the article that talks about low balling Hoyer and him going to the Patriots is so JD. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Is Brian Hoyer also the reason they only scored 16 points against the Dolphins? Or 13 against the Saints? Or 17 against the Buccaneers?

dude, I didn't write the article.  Go ask Tony Pauline.  But it would have been smart to have a vet on the roster, especially after the one guy who was specifically hired to mentor Wilson was tragically killed.  

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Dcat said:

One long-time league insider told me, “It’s criminal the Jets had no veteran quarterback on the roster through camp and the season to help mentor Zach Wilson.” The Jets wanted to sign Brian Hoyer during the offseason for just this purpose, but Douglas gave him a lowball offer. Hoyer rejected the offer, signed a nice deal with the Patriots, and is doing wonders mentoring New England’s rookie quarterback Mac Jones. Jones put up 54 points against the Jets last Sunday, beating them for a second time this season.

:bag:

this was just in my copy/paste launch tube too.

• Haha 1

Hoyer "signed a nice contract?"   Pretty sure he signed for the vet min.  At least Flacco got $3.5M guaranteed with potential for another $4M in incentives.  I assume Douglas thought he could get hold of Hoyer or somebody else cheap (Mullens?) when Flacco went to Philly.  Flacco got way more money than anybody expected.  I get wanting Conklin but the QB discussion seems like trash to me.   

I love how we need an "inside story" to see that the Jets are in disarray.   Other than a few less chaotic years, this team has been in disarray for most of its history.  And in full view of anyone with functioning eyes.  Awful/inept HCs, OCs, GMs, players, we had/have it all by the bushel full. 

• Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

dude, I didn't write the article.  Go ask Tony Pauline.  But it would have been smart to have a vet on the roster, especially after the one guy who was specifically hired to mentor Wilson was tragically killed.  

Sorry, I was asking Pauline—just easier to quote you

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

"According to many I’ve spoken with who deal directly with Douglas, “He spends money in free agency as though it was the last dollar coming from his wallet.”

I have been screaming this for 2 years now. Dude isn't "smart" with money, hes downright cheap. The part of the article that talks about low balling Hoyer and him going to the Patriots is so JD. 

We took Idzik's FA approach and combined it with Macc's drafting, divided by two, threw out the better half... and got Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1