Inside Story Jets team in Disarray

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Fair article. Saleh/Lefleur tandem has thru 22/23 season to get the ship righted. If not, Lefleur goes first for a veteran OC. Following season Saleh goes if we have another .500 or below season along with JD. That gives JD 2 more cracks at draft and FA. 
Lets Go Twitch GIF by Hyper RPG

Next year should’ve been it for JD to reach .500. If you can’t reach 500 in year 3 or year 4, your rebuild is a failure and so are you. 

• Upvote 1

Douglas’ #1 problem is Saleh and Saleh’s buddies/assistants. There are a bunch of decent coaches who 1. Would have kept Wilson on the bench for a few months and 2. Won a few games with this talent. The OL is competitive. The WR group is solid to good. There are enough backs. The DL should be playing better. The only unit Saleh’s band of bros has maximized is the DB group. The LBs suck because Saleh has wasted months trying to convert college SS’s into OLBs. Saleh sucks.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Also, re: patience, if this bunch of coaches wants the fanbase to show patience, they better plug these leaks right quick. It’s fun that they think they can push this “Douglas kneecapped us!” narrative to cover their asses, but nobody’s buying it. If Douglas goes down, these losers are following him out the door.

• Upvote 1

Good article.

It’s frustrating because everything we are seeing was predictable, if not inevitable. Poor drafts, huge reach for a QB, rookie HC/OC/QB combo. 

We’ll see if the wheels come completely off, as in players mail it in, as this season continues to spiral. For all of Gase’s and Bowles’ faults, their players never quit on them. 

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Also, re: patience, if this bunch of coaches wants the fanbase to show patience, they better plug these leaks right quick. It’s fun that they think they can push this “Douglas kneecapped us!” narrative to cover their asses, but nobody’s buying it. If Douglas goes down, these losers are following him out the door.

Thought Douglass and Saleh were on same page 

The article could be baloney, partly true or untrue.  Does it matter? 

All I care about is winning.  That being said, I have very little, maybe no, faith that this HC and CS can right the ship.  After 54 years watching this team, I think I have seen it all... then as usual reality has a way of waking you up from your dream (competitive team, well coached, and winning). 

For me, It positively disconcerting to see the level of dysfunction we have witness to date.  Having, said that, there are things contained in the article that this board and others, I might add, have exposed as issues that have plagued this team for I don't know at least 45 years I been watching.  

So while I will always be a fan, a few years back I start watching the Packers because at least they are competitive, well coached, and winning. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Footnotes:

Joe Douglas isn't very good at free agency or the draft.

Becton is a lazy and immature.

Coaching staff is all hype no results.

Jets season ticket holders are apathetic.

Bengals game this Sunday is gonna be another gut punch a week after the Patriots just dropped a 50 burger on the bungling Jets. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Seems like folks said this last year.   What makes you think he will pick any better?  I don't believe it for a second.  And as I said before the season, we put up 12 to 15 losses again and JD is getting fired.

He is a scout, he purposely traded for picks for this upcoming draft instead of last year’s because of Covid, I’ll give him one more draft.

8 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Fair article. Saleh/Lefleur tandem has thru 22/23 season to get the ship righted. If not, Lefleur goes first for a veteran OC. Following season Saleh goes if we have another .500 or below season along with JD. That gives JD 2 more cracks at draft and FA. 
Lets Go Twitch GIF by Hyper RPG

Perfect. By the time the coaches are held to the expectation of basic compentence, the “rookie QB window reset button” can be hit again.

This effin team.

• Haha 2

Douglas’ inability to bring in quality FA’s (good ones don’t tend to come here) would be forgivable if he was nailing a solid % of his picks.  He hasn’t thus far.

There’s no fixing this mess.  Eventually Douglas and Saleh will get fired, and the Johnson’s will hire another Maccagnan at GM and let him pick the next HC.  Oh, joy.

• Upvote 2

Call me a blind homer but I still love what JD has done so far.  The healthy cap is Everything.  He started subterranean, $30 mill of dead Mac money still on the books this year.  Sacrificed his first year to clean up the cap. 

First draft was meh, getting two should be good starters is average in Mekhi and Hall. 

2021 draft could be transformational.  I think Zach has the goods and AVT will be an all pro. MC1 is a good change of pace back and MC 2 will be a top slot CB for years. That’s a home run draft if Zach hits.

Cory Davis helps a winning football team. Carl Lawson injury sucks.  Lafeur is learning but this team has one of the worst running games in the league and that is more crappy players that than coaching. Rookie QB with no run game and a slat of drops and everyone blows up the young OC who I agree hasn’t done a great job.  But I think you draft two OL and get Zach some seasoning and Lafeur could be alright. 

JD is doing everything right to change how the team operates. Get your HC, get young QB, 2 first round OL in past two drafts- no more bad contracts.  I’ll wait. Not patiently but I appreciate the excavation happening.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Douglas’ #1 problem is Saleh and Saleh’s buddies/assistants. There are a bunch of decent coaches who 1. Would have kept Wilson on the bench for a few months and 2. Won a few games with this talent. The OL is competitive. The WR group is solid to good. There are enough backs. The DL should be playing better. The only unit Saleh’s band of bros has maximized is the DB group. The LBs suck because Saleh has wasted months trying to convert college SS’s into OLBs. Saleh sucks.

I'm not even sure we've maximized the DBs. 

We played the titans without brown and Julio and the falcons without Ridley.

Pats have no WRs, DJ Moore and 6/80 and robby had 1 of his two TDs against us. 

Let's see if this defense can contain Chase, Boyd, Higgins before I start giving Saleh credit for even getting one thing right. 

• Upvote 1

What a garbage article. A 5th grader could have written a better one. It’s fair to question JD’s decisions thus far but describing them as “Dysfunctional” is simply a reach. The title makes it sound like he actually has a scoop of some sort to tell us about when in fact he’s got none.

Then In the following paragraph the writer then proves that he has NO idea of the true inner workings of the franchise by stating :

Could this just be growing pains?

To be completely honest and transparent, several people in the league who I know, people who I trust, believe these are just growing pains being experienced by Saleh and LaFleur. Additionally, they believe the Douglas-Saleh relationship is also experiencing growing pains.

So which one is it Pauline, are the dysfunctional, or simply going through growing pains?

what the hell is the point of this article?
Click bait…

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

What a garbage article. A 5th grader could have written a better one. It’s fair to question JD’s decisions thus far but describing them as “Dysfunctional” is simply a reach. The title makes it sound like he actually has a scoop of some sort to tell us about when in fact he’s got none.

Then In the following paragraph the writer then proves that he has NO idea of the true inner workings of the franchise by stating :

Could this just be growing pains?

To be completely honest and transparent, several people in the league who I know, people who I trust, believe these are just growing pains being experienced by Saleh and LaFleur. Additionally, they believe the Douglas-Saleh relationship is also experiencing growing pains.

So which one is it Pauline, are the dysfunctional, or simply going through growing pains?

what the hell is the point of this article?
Click bait…

You are 100% correct.  Absolutely nothing is supported, there are no sources quoted, only Pauline's convenient interpretations.  Too bad he is probably correct about it all, but as for the professionalism of his article...  not good at all.  Uses his own opinions as if they were actually statements by players.  No quotes.  No sources.  Just his own opinions.  Total trash as far as any form of respectable journalism.   Pauline is a fan, not a reporter so expecting anything more than a hack article is asking for too much.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

They were on the same page until the coaching staff got whacked 54-13 and lost their starting quarterback. Now it’s CYA time.

Douglas taking Becton when it was obvious pre draft he wasn’t going to try kind of had me out on him in general. The Jets do a pitiful job finding out during the process if the player is committed to football. 

8 hours ago, David Harris said:

2021 draft could be transformational

Umm Zach has been bad. Looks nothing like Burrrow,  or Herbert in his rookie year but jury is out. He can turn it around

Moore may become Mimms 2.0. A talented receiver who becomes a non factor.

AVT looks legit 

Carter the RB has Gore like stats number. Prob a 2nd to 3rd rotational back at best 

Sherwood = Bad

Echols is a rotational back 

Carter the CB looks legit 

Pinnock, Nas, and Marshall = who??

I would slow down with transformative unless it’s all banking on Wilson becoming Rodgers and then the discussion changes a bit.

The clearly wrong approach JD is taking is he sells talent for picks but he isn’t a really good drafter, he’s average at best. His FA signings to plug gaps turn out he guys like Perriman or GVR. Value guys at cheap who don’t perform. Hence here we are, arguably the worst Jets Roster in its history.  

JD gambled on himself as some talent evaluator guru and he hasn’t crushed it like he thought he would. We are red, and the ball keeps popping into black at the roulette table. 

Tony Pauline (like every other journalist) is occasionally. going to be wrong, but he has a pretty good track record on. things going. on behind the scenes for the Jets and nothing in this article is particularly surprising if you have been honestly paying attention. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

I agree with most of what you said, but too many Jets fans like to pile on players when they are hurt. Becton is no worse today than he was three weeks ago. He's a potentially dominant player, far from disappointing. Zach is the same - he is starting to come around but now is hurt. Becton needs to take his job more seriously though, I'll give you that.

I think the biggest disappointment with Becton is what has been described as his immaturity.

Coming into preseason camp overweight and out of shape, embracing the nickname "big ticket", and saying things that promote his abilities, and then not being able to back it up on the field.  I get that he got injured now for the second year in a row, but if he was just a little more humble, and pushed himself to come into camp in great shape and not overweight, then maybe he would avoid getting injured in the first place.   What he does with his money is not my business, but I understand he bought a necklace with "big Ticket" on it for $600,00.00 when he was first signed.  

I'm not the guy's mother or father, but to me, these are all signs of immaturity.  

He will never reach his potential unless he grows up and takes things more seriously.  He has all the talent in the world, and no-one can deny his great potential, but it all starts between the ears, and if can get that right, then maybe he will be the player that the Jets first envisioned.

Until that time comes, I wish the Jets would have drafted Wirfs instead of Becton.  It pains me to say that.

19 hours ago, peebag said:

Ho-hum, the same info has been brought up on this forum many times.

Exactly - the article's headline states the "inside story" but there's very little inside information here.  It's mostly regurgitated opinions that you can find on any Jets message board.

He hints that some players he has talked to think the team is in "disarray" but what else would a 1-5 team be?  He also states that his sources think the coaches are working the players too hard during the week but that Saleh has not lost the locker room.

I'm not sure how a team can be worked "too hard" the rules regarding practice are league wide and very minimal, at best.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, David Harris said:

Call me a blind homer but I still love what JD has done so far.  The healthy cap is Everything.  He started subterranean, $30 mill of dead Mac money still on the books this year.  Sacrificed his first year to clean up the cap. 

First draft was meh, getting two should be good starters is average in Mekhi and Hall. 

2021 draft could be transformational.  I think Zach has the goods and AVT will be an all pro. MC1 is a good change of pace back and MC 2 will be a top slot CB for years. That’s a home run draft if Zach hits.

Cory Davis helps a winning football team. Carl Lawson injury sucks.  Lafeur is learning but this team has one of the worst running games in the league and that is more crappy players that than coaching. Rookie QB with no run game and a slat of drops and everyone blows up the young OC who I agree hasn’t done a great job.  But I think you draft two OL and get Zach some seasoning and Lafeur could be alright. 

JD is doing everything right to change how the team operates. Get your HC, get young QB, 2 first round OL in past two drafts- no more bad contracts.  I’ll wait. Not patiently but I appreciate the excavation happening.

I’m with ya. Of course it looks ugly right now but he’s essentially starting from the ground up. There’s zero carry over from other drafts. 

Other teams have had at least some solid parts to it but this one? Nothing. I think if we keep adding on top of his drafts, we’ll get there. The first draft was rough but I like the second one. I don’t see any Jalen Saunders and Adarius Stewart type picks. 

Though I am out on Lefluer. Saleh needs to get veteran coaching experience in there for these young guys. 

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

JD didn’t give the coaching staff much of a choice whether to play Wilson

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I’m with ya. Of course it looks ugly right now but he’s essentially starting from the ground up. There’s zero carry over from other drafts. 

Other teams have had at least some solid parts to it but this one? Nothing. I think if we keep adding on top of his drafts, we’ll get there. The first draft was rough but I like the second one. I don’t see any Jalen Saunders and Adarius Stewart type picks. 

Though I am out on Lefluer. Saleh needs to get veteran coaching experience in there for these young guys. 

Of all the things wrong, the Oc may be the most wrong.  It’s apparent the offensive coaches don’t know what they’re doing.  I have no faith they understand how to maximize the talent they have, and there is talent on offense.  I also don’t trust their assessment of mims.  The allegation in the article that the offense is “inflexible” is on full display every Sunday.  And the fact they have zero points in 6 first quarters this year illustrates this perfectly.  This offensive coaching staff has zero credibility as well as zero points.

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Douglas taking Becton when it was obvious pre draft he wasn’t going to try kind of had me out on him in general. The Jets do a pitiful job finding out during the process if the player is committed to football. 

This is true. But to be fair, every team struggles with this.