Inside Story Jets team in Disarray

1 hour ago, Alka said:

This article has hit the nail on the head.  It's like the author asked for my opinions about the Jets and have put it on paper.  This article tells it exactly how I feel.  

One of the most honest, blunt assessments of the NY Jets that I have ever read.  

I believe that the Jets have no choice but to allow Joe Douglas at least another year to get things right, and to allow Robert Saleh another year after this one as well.

The only person that I think will be and should be on the hot seat after this season is the offensive coordinator, Lefleur.  If things don't improve on the offense, and the Jets continue to be totally inept on scoring in the 1st quarter and 1st half, then he should be a goner.

After next year, if things haven't improved significantly, then I would say goodbye to both Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh.

To date, if I'm rating on a scale of 1-10 the job Joe Douglas has done to date, I would give Joe Douglas a score or 3, with the highest possible score a 10.  The offensive line is still nothing special, we still need a center and right guard, and Mecki Becton has been a disappointment, if we are being honest.  I could go on and on, but the article says it all.

I agree with most of what you said, but too many Jets fans like to pile on players when they are hurt. Becton is no worse today than he was three weeks ago. He's a potentially dominant player, far from disappointing. Zach is the same - he is starting to come around but now is hurt. Becton needs to take his job more seriously though, I'll give you that.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

So for the record, at only week 8 under the Saleh/Douglas regime…

1) The owner has already been asked the “confidence” question

2) Articles talking about dysfunction at one Jets dr are being published 

3) Every major sports commentator is destroying the Jets

4) Attendance at Metlife is tanking in a concerning fashion 

I have to say, The wheels have come off in a shockingly fast way. I can’t even wrap my head around it. 

We've got this thing down to a science

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

@Matt39  Apparently Saleh is overworking the players while not having padded practices and giving them Tuesday off after getting shellacked coming out of the bye.

yeah... there's something wrong with that part of the piece.  Especially under the terms of the CBA.

That part of it sounds like lazy players who don't want to practice one more minute then that stupid CBA allows.  That would fit because he only interviewed players who were here with Gase.  ANd that was definite under Gase.  Maybe things were so lax under Gase that a normal practice week seems excessive to our "motivated" players.

• Upvote 2

Interesting piece.  Strikes me as hit and run journalism, but there's not much that's incorrect.  But in a world of grays, this guy is selling the dark side.

Is JD sacrificing current wins by being cheap in FA?  Absolutely, but that doesn't make him wrong.  And if he hits on a few more draft picks, he has the funds to keep them and add some missing pieces when the team is in a position to contend.

Is Becton immature?  Sure seems like it.  We have to hope he'll grow up soon...and he might not.  If so, JD sucks.  But if Becton gets his act together, he can be an All-Pro.  Time will tell.  Again, painful to watch and wait.

Writer argues the CS is lousy and are bad choices.  Then says others say it's all growing pains.  But he leads with the negative.  Players still seem to like Saleh

Writer headlines jets as DYSFUNCTIONAL.  Then says maybe not.  Which do we remember.  And there are several teams in the same situation.  Jets at least have a plan that can work.

Look, the Jets have been baaaaaaad for decades.  So asking for patience is spitting in the wind.  But that's where we are.  I would give the current group 2 more years, but then I'm one of the optimists.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

So for the record, at only week 8 under the Saleh/Douglas regime…

1) The owner has already been asked the “confidence” question

2) Articles talking about dysfunction at one Jets dr are being published 

3) Every major sports commentator is destroying the Jets

4) Attendance at Metlife is tanking in a concerning fashion 

I have to say, The wheels have come off in a shockingly fast way. I can’t even wrap my head around it. 

Woody/Chris can give a TED Talk on the topic of incompetence

33 minutes ago, addage said:

Is Becton immature?  Sure seems like it.  We have to hope he'll grow up soon...and he might not.  If so, JD sucks.  But if Becton gets his act together, he can be an All-Pro.  Time will tell.  Again, painful to watch and wait.

Hopefully he sees Fant playing and playing pretty well in his spot and will realize he needs to get his act together.  Quickly.

I think Becton being out has really hurt the run game, but don't think we have missed him much in the passing game.  There may be a ton of other problems with the passing game, but OL pass blocking is not one of them.

i think the article didn't accurately say things about douglas the free agents and the draft picks.  first it's kind of silly to say he didn't try to get conklin.  he did.  i'm not sure how much more or less than cleveland the jets offered but it wasn't that much.  with free agents it takes two to tango so it could be cleveland was a better environment for conklin.  we saw this with cousins too.  and when the jets have laid out big money for these guys, like trumaine or leveon, they're slugs.  and does anyone actually think conklin would've changed the jets w-l record?  not one iota.  the anderson loss was a problem mainly because douglas over estimated how much robbie wanted.  as for the drafts, in draft one becton, and hall aren't the only guys.  they've gotten good service from davis and mann.  perine has been injured this season but he did show something last season.  not sure why mims can't get on the field.  only zuniga and morgan can be said to be busts.  clark is still injured so while it looks like he may be a bust, he may also recover and play.  and this past draft yielded wilson, avt, moore, carter and carter and echols.  these guys are all playing quite a bit and doing well enough.  this season's free agents brought in lawson (who's injured), davis (who is better than perriman), cole (who is also better than perriman), rankins (who is injured), feeney (who is why?), j. davis (who was injured but ready to play) and a bunch of nobodies.  and it's not like a lot of these guys came cheap.  lawson and davis are pretty expensive.  they also re-signed myers and after this season we can see qwill going for his.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

think the article didn't accurately say things about douglas the free agents and the draft picks.  first it's kind of silly to say he didn't try to get conklin.  he did.  i'm not sure how much more or less than cleveland the jets offered but it wasn't that much.  with free agents it takes two to tango so it could be cleveland was a better environment for conklin.

Yeah, the Conklin and Hoyer stuff is suspect. Hoyer was always going back to the Pats if and when they called, and Conklin is a hillbilly who wanted no part of the metro area.

• Upvote 1

Tony Pauline has been a very credible NFL reporter and has had the inside information on the Jets.   There is nothing that would lead one to believe article is not mostly true and based on real facts/sources.  It confirms what many on this Board have suspected.   It appears both perceptive and constructive.

JD has been involved with three successful NFL teams.  He has observed and learned from some of the best in the business.   The big difference now is that he works for Hymie and the Johnsons.   There were too many bad luck events in 2021 that added onto to too many bad decisions.   Had JD spent more on FAs before, it would not have mattered much.  Next year Lawson, Corey Davis, Mosely (not JD, McGovern (not the biggest problem) and Fant will all be back and can be valuable contributors.  

Time is up for JD.  He now has to spend to make up for his bad drafting so they can fill the seats again.  Hopefully his draft picks in 2022 can carry the team when the contracts on the 2022 FAs come due.

I would try and renew Moses on a friendly deal.   Only option for Maye could be FT2.  He needs good players.  Only the teams that are great drafters can never overpay on second contracts for players that they need.   

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think the article didn't accurately say things about douglas the free agents and the draft picks.  first it's kind of silly to say he didn't try to get conklin.  he did.  i'm not sure how much more or less than cleveland the jets offered but it wasn't that much.  with free agents it takes two to tango so it could be cleveland was a better environment for conklin.  we saw this with cousins too.  and when the jets have laid out big money for these guys, like trumaine or leveon, they're slugs.  and does anyone actually think conklin would've changed the jets w-l record?  not one iota.  the anderson loss was a problem mainly because douglas over estimated how much robbie wanted.  as for the drafts, in draft one becton, and hall aren't the only guys.  they've gotten good service from davis and mann.  perine has been injured this season but he did show something last season.  not sure why mims can't get on the field.  only zuniga and morgan can be said to be busts.  clark is still injured so while it looks like he may be a bust, he may also recover and play.  and this past draft yielded wilson, avt, moore, carter and carter and echols.  these guys are all playing quite a bit and doing well enough.  this season's free agents brought in lawson (who's injured), davis (who is better than perriman), cole (who is also better than perriman), rankins (who is injured), feeney (who is why?), j. davis (who was injured but ready to play) and a bunch of nobodies.  and it's not like a lot of these guys came cheap.  lawson and davis are pretty expensive.  they also re-signed myers and after this season we can see qwill going for his.

You are really missing the point...

JD tore the team to the studs...to an almost non NFL ready team. The only way you recover is via the draft. That is 100 percent a calculated risk, Injuries factor into risk management. Its the NFL, lots of people get hurt. So, once people did get hurt, the jets turned around and said "oh sh*t" because they have very little depth. That is poor risk management and is clearly at the feet of the FO.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

You are really missing the point...

JD tore the team to the studs...to an almost non NFL ready team. The only way you recover is via the draft. That is 100 percent a calculated risk, Injuries factor into risk management. Its the NFL, lots of people get hurt. So, once people did get hurt, the jets turned around and said "oh sh*t" because they have very little depth. That is poor risk management and is clearly at the feet of the FO.

joe tore it to the studs?  have you paid attention to what mac left?  joe wants to build primarily through the draft and doesn't always pursue the big name free agents.  mac pursued trumaine and leveon and got burnt.  and don't forget re-signing the slug wilkerson.  but there is a risk as you say because you just can't get enough depth with draft picks so the team needs to bring in some decent free agents to fill the gaps until the younger players develop.  but have you considered that's a risk woody is willing to take for a better future team?  i know it's tough to watch this team after watching the past 8 seasons of futility but it's only poor risk management if the risk isn't accepted in the first place.  i'm willing to bet woody knew full well this would be an up and down (mostly) season given so many young players, new qb, and new coaching.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

joe tore it to the studs?  have you paid attention to what mac left?  joe wants to build primarily through the draft and doesn't always pursue the big name free agents.  mac pursued trumaine and leveon and got burnt.  and don't forget re-signing the slug wilkerson.  but there is a risk as you say because you just can't get enough depth with draft picks so the team needs to bring in some decent free agents to fill the gaps until the younger players develop.  but have you considered that's a risk woody is willing to take for a better future team?  i know it's tough to watch this team after watching the past 8 seasons of futility but it's only poor risk management if the risk isn't accepted in the first place.  i'm willing to bet woody knew full well this would be an up and down (mostly) season given so many young players, new qb, and new coaching.

Macs team won 7 games.......is your premise that the 2019 team WAS NOT better then this team? Because it was by any measure

This entire story is made up. I could have written this without one source. 
JD IS CHEAO

BECTON IS FAT AND LAZY

the only new thjng is that perhaps saleh overworks his players . That’s disgruntled vets. 

This story is lazy and doesn’t tell the story we want to know.

What does the front office and ownership actually believe? Was this supposed to be a lost season anyways?

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

"According to many I’ve spoken with who deal directly with Douglas, “He spends money in free agency as though it was the last dollar coming from his wallet.”

I have been screaming this for 2 years now. Dude isn't "smart" with money, hes downright cheap. The part of the article that talks about low balling Hoyer and him going to the Patriots is so JD. 

That tells me this is classic Woody behind the scenes....he loves being way under the cap.

36 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Macs team won 7 games.......is your premise that the 2019 team WAS NOT better then this team? Because it was by any measure

and then that same team won 2 the next season.  your point?  there's eleven games left.  they could win out or finish somewhere between 6 and 7 wins or even lower.  no telling at the moment.