CFB Game Day Thread 10/30

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I actually got down to a 10.2 but I’m paying at 11.3 right now.  Just can’t get over the hump.  

80 was the hardest for me to break.  Took forever, but it was mostly mental. 

Once you do, the flood gates open and it gets pretty routine.  

You probably know all of this already, but:

-Chipping and putting.  Spend 90% of your practice on this. 

-Course management.  Quit with the hero shots until you get over the hump.  Find your money distance and layup to that number on as many holes as you can.   

7 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

80 was the hardest for me to break.  Took forever, but it was mostly mental. 

Once you do, the flood gates open and it gets pretty routine.  

You probably know all of this already, but:

-Chipping and putting.  Spend 90% of your practice on this. 

-Course management.  Quit with the hero shots until you get over the hump.  Find your money distance and layup to that number on as many holes as you can.   

I've shot 79, 3 times and 78 once.  So I've done it, I just cant do it consistently and I have not broke 80 in 2021, which is frustrating.  Stuck in the 80's.  Typical round for me is 81-85.

Chipping and putting are the strength of my game.  My chipping is top notch, I play with a lot of single digit to scratch guys who would die for my chipping.  The putter is usually solid but sinking them comes and goes a bit.  I rarely 3 putt.  And I've definitely become a much better course manager, I still have that one brain fart every round though, where I want to kick myself.  

Where I struggle if off the tee and directionally with long irons.  I dont hit it far, so that's hurts as well but does force me to manage the course better.  3 of my under 80 rounds, I didnt hit driver the entire day but I also know that but those were on short-ish courses and like ideal conditions...and when I play longer courses, I'm struggling to hit GIR, which as we know, will hurt the scorecard...especially if there are elements like wind which we see a lot of in Florida.  So I committed to hitting my driver in 2021.  And I'm hitting it better than ever but I still have 2-3 tee shots a round that kill my score.  

I dont have fitted clubs and everyone keeps telling me that's the best thing I can do for my game right now because I've more than likely established my forever swing, there arent that many more adjustments to my game I can make, even with lessons, etc. I've had numerous people tell me it shaved 3-6 strokes off their game.  Like right now, I have different shafts on everything and I dont think I hit the right driver.  So, that's on the radar soon.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I've shot 79, 3 times and 78 once.  So I've done it, I just cant do it consistently and I have not broke 80 in 2021, which is frustrating.  Stuck in the 80's.  Typical round for me is 81-85.

Chipping and putting are the strength of my game.  My chipping is top notch, I play with a lot of single digit to scratch guys who would die for my chipping.  The putter is usually solid but sinking them comes and goes a bit.  I rarely 3 putt.  And I've definitely become a much better course manager, I still have that one brain fart every round though, where I want to kick myself.  

Where I struggle if off the tee and directionally with long irons.  I dont hit it far, so that's hurts as well but does force me to manage the course better.  3 of my under 80 rounds, I didnt hit driver the entire day but I also know that but those were on short-ish courses and like ideal conditions...and when I play longer courses, I'm struggling to hit GIR, which as we know, will hurt the scorecard...especially if there are elements like wind which we see a lot of in Florida.  So I committed to hitting my driver in 2021.  And I'm hitting it better than ever but I still have 2-3 tee shots a round that kill my score.  

I dont have fitted clubs and everyone keeps telling me that's the best thing I can do for my game right now because I've more than likely established my forever swing, there arent that many more adjustments to my game I can make, even with lessons, etc. I've had numerous people tell me it shaved 3-6 strokes off their game.  Like right now, I have different shafts on everything and I dont think I hit the right driver.  So, that's on the radar soon.  

I’d definitely get a driver fitting, it’s really helpful to get the right shaft in the driver.  I tweak my equipment a lot and experiment with a ton of different shafts and they can really help.  It’s all about getting the right shaft.  

What is your iron set up?  What is the longest iron you are comfortable hitting?   If you are struggling with those get some hybrids.  I added a 24 degree hybrid to replace my 4 iron two years ago and it’s been fantastic.  I have friends who’s longest irons are 6 or 7 irons and hybrids to make up the difference.  

If you want PM me, we can into more detail. 

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Driver fitting will definitely help if you're struggling with distance and dispersion.  

I've always self fit myself.  I have access to a Trackman and a room full of clubs/shafts for $26 an hour.  

Try to find a place where you have Trackman/GC Quad AND the ability to hit outside and see real ball flight.  It might just be a simple thing like angle of attack or too much spin holding the distance back, both easy fixes.  

I think I joked with you before, but if you're not a long hitter then swallow the ego and move up a box until you figure it out.   

Keep the positive scores coming then move back after the equipment upgrades.  

Btw- different shafts isn't a bad thing.  People hit woods and hybrid different than the driver.  I have different brands and flexes in my whole setup. 

On 10/31/2021 at 9:48 AM, sec101row23 said:

I’d definitely get a driver fitting, it’s really helpful to get the right shaft in the driver.  I tweak my equipment a lot and experiment with a ton of different shafts and they can really help.  It’s all about getting the right shaft.  

What is your iron set up?  What is the longest iron you are comfortable hitting?   If you are struggling with those get some hybrids.  I added a 24 degree hybrid to replace my 4 iron two years ago and it’s been fantastic.  I have friends who’s longest irons are 6 or 7 irons and hybrids to make up the difference.  

If you want PM me, we can into more detail. 

On 10/31/2021 at 10:47 AM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Driver fitting will definitely help if you're struggling with distance and dispersion.  

I've always self fit myself.  I have access to a Trackman and a room full of clubs/shafts for $26 an hour.  

Try to find a place where you have Trackman/GC Quad AND the ability to hit outside and see real ball flight.  It might just be a simple thing like angle of attack or too much spin holding the distance back, both easy fixes.  

I think I joked with you before, but if you're not a long hitter then swallow the ego and move up a box until you figure it out.   

Keep the positive scores coming then move back after the equipment upgrades.  

Btw- different shafts isn't a bad thing.  People hit woods and hybrid different than the driver.  I have different brands and flexes in my whole setup. 

Shot a 78 today boys!  Was on fire!  The 3 birdies helped but I was making crucial par putts all day long.  Really solid tee to green.  It just all came together!!! 

• Upvote 4

On 10/30/2021 at 9:33 PM, JiFapono said:

I actually got down to a 10.2 but I’m paying at 11.3 right now.  Just can’t get over the hump.  

Got my first hole in 1 tonight. Dropped a gap wedge 10 feet past pin, spun back right into the cup.  Never saw it, lol. I thought I was going to land short of the pin as did 1 of the guys I was with.  I looked down to pick up cigar and everyone starts yelling… “ it’s going in the hole”. 

thought they were messing with me. 
awesome feeling 

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

Got my first hole in 1 tonight. Dropped a gap wedge 10 feet past pin, spun back right into the cup.  Never saw it, lol. I thought I was going to land short of the pin as did 1 of the guys I was with.  I looked down to pick up cigar and everyone starts yelling… “ it’s going on the hole”. 

thought they were messing with me. 
awesome feeling 

That's awesome!  Great story.   I didnt know my only hole I one went in either.   I couldn see the green, huge shadow over it, I hit a fade, thought it pushed it right, went looking in the trap and my boy is like, dude, you're in the hole!

Enjoy!

• Post of the Week 1