"Same old Jets" used to mean something different

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The Jets have sucked for six consecutive seasons, and we've lost sight of what Same Old Jets used to mean. The Same Old Jets as we knew them were laid to rest on January 3, 2016 when the 10-5, win and they're in New York Jets sh*t the bed and lost to a Bills team that only had pride to play for. 

Same Old Jets didn't always mean unwatchable, hopeless football. On the contrary, the Same Old Jets would invent new and exciting ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The Same Old Jets would motor into the 4th quarter with leads only to go into the dreaded prevent defense, which for the Jets meant that it prevented them from winning the game. That, or they would play for the FG instead of staying aggressive and trying to score a TD, and then miss the FG attempt. The Same Old Jets would beat teams that they had no business beating, only to follow it up with an absolute stinker. The Same Old Jets would surprisingly be in playoff contention until late in the season, and end up with a 7-9., 8-8, or a 9-7 record. The Same Old Jets would go 10-6 (playoffs), 4-12, 10-6 (playoffs), 4-12. THAT is what I remember the Same Old Jets being. 

The Same Old Jets did NOT mean six consecutive seasons of futility with the worst 7-9 season in football history. (The Same Old Jets did rise from the dead for that ONE game against the Bengals)

Here are my top 5 Same Old Jets moments:

5. Doug Brien misses two makeable FG's that prevented the Jets from going to the AFC Championship Game. Herm Edwards goes ultra conservative and doesn't try to get better field position for FG attempt. 

4. Ryan Fitzpatrick throws three interceptions and loses to Bills, and misses playoffs

3. Jets start the season at 8-3 with Brett Favre, and end the season at 9-7 missing the playoffs

2. Bill Parcells decides that a Leon Johnson halfback option was a better choice than letting Neil O'Donnell take the Jets to victory in Detroit. 

1. Mark Gastineau spears Bernie Kosar on an incomplete pass that would have resulted in a 3 and 18 in the 1986 AFC Divisional Round of the playoffs. This was the most traumatic loss I have experienced to this day. 

If this were truly the Same Old Jets, the 2022 New York Jets start the season 6-0, and end up missing the playoffs by one game, and that game is lost against a practice squad QB who is only starting because the top two QBs went down. We are watching the New Same Old Jets which is much less fun version of this team. At least the Old Same Old Jets gave you that false hope, which at the end of the day was still hope. 

Ah yes the good old days, the Gastineau  roughing. I listened to that game on Armed Force’s radio, and wore a hole in the carpet pacing back and forth. I was Big Mad. 

Your right, we have now evolved into SOJ being the absolute worst team in the NFL if not all of Pro sports year in and out.

• Upvote 2

I actually long for the SOJ days. A few more SOJ highlights:

Fake Spike

Starting 4-0 & 9-4 in '00 then losing to the 2 win Lions in week 16 and the Ravens in week 17 after being up 14-0

Blowing a 21-0 against the undefeated Eagles in '93

Losing to the Ravens in '04

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, stevie90 said:

I never thought I'd see the day when I was so damn frustrated & actually bored by halftime that I would rather watch family guy then this team. 

Gonna be honest, I haven’t watched much at all this year. It’s been so trash, games are over after 1 quarter. Salah is also trash. JD was always trash to begin with. Team is sh*t. 45-6 today. 

I know this thread is designed to just be a bitch fest and I get it - And I do agree about what SOJ's meant...

....but there's a reason we were sh*tty for two, three years then steal a wild-card every three or four years....and were never good enough to truly put a consistent winning product on the field.

It was because we never built a team the right way....We would go out and spend money on bad free agent contracts make a one year push and then fall back to futility.  They would start a rebuild and the fan base and Woody would get upset, so we would then go out and spend big on bad contacts etc - win 9 games and everyone would calm down...rinse and repeat.

Joe Douglas is trying to do this the right way.  Wether or not it works is still a huge question mark, but, IMO, he is trying to do it the right way.

• Upvote 1

Biggest SOJ moment Woody failing to get BB on board before closing the deal on the team.    Second biggest selling the fan base on a NYC domed stadium that would be the nicest stadium in the country before scrapping it to continue being the Giants slightly retarded little brother.  

10 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The Jets have sucked for six consecutive seasons, and we've lost sight of what Same Old Jets used to mean. The Same Old Jets as we knew them were laid to rest on January 3, 2016 when the 10-5, win and they're in New York Jets sh*t the bed and lost to a Bills team that only had pride to play for. 

Same Old Jets didn't always mean unwatchable, hopeless football. On the contrary, the Same Old Jets would invent new and exciting ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The Same Old Jets would motor into the 4th quarter with leads only to go into the dreaded prevent defense, which for the Jets meant that it prevented them from winning the game. That, or they would play for the FG instead of staying aggressive and trying to score a TD, and then miss the FG attempt. The Same Old Jets would beat teams that they had no business beating, only to follow it up with an absolute stinker. The Same Old Jets would surprisingly be in playoff contention until late in the season, and end up with a 7-9., 8-8, or a 9-7 record. The Same Old Jets would go 10-6 (playoffs), 4-12, 10-6 (playoffs), 4-12. THAT is what I remember the Same Old Jets being. 

The Same Old Jets did NOT mean six consecutive seasons of futility with the worst 7-9 season in football history. (The Same Old Jets did rise from the dead for that ONE game against the Bengals)

5. Doug Brien misses two makeable FG's that prevented the Jets from going to the AFC Championship Game. Herm Edwards goes ultra conservative and doesn't try to get better field position for FG attempt. 

4. Ryan Fitzpatrick throws three interceptions and loses to Bills, and misses playoffs

3. Jets start the season at 8-3 with Brett Favre, and end the season at 9-7 missing the playoffs

2. Bill Parcells decides that a Leon Johnson halfback option was a better choice than letting Neil O'Donnell take the Jets to victory in Detroit. 

1. Mark Gastineau spears Bernie Kosar on an incomplete pass that would have resulted in a 3 and 18 in the 1986 AFC Divisional Round of the playoffs. This was the most traumatic loss I have experienced to this day. 

If this were truly the Same Old Jets, the 2022 New York Jets start the season 6-0, and end up missing the playoffs by one game, and that game is lost against a practice squad QB who is only starting because the top two QBs went down. We are watching the New Same Old Jets which is much less fun version of this team. At least the Old Same Old Jets gave you that false hope, which at the end of the day was still hope. 

This is the millennial version

10 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If for one day they revert back to the original soj  - then we win today

• Upvote 1

The 86 Jets need to be on that list twice, they were and will always be the epitome of SOJ.

Remember, they were 10-1 and headed for the #1 seed in the AFC.  Then Paul McGuire predicted that they would not win another game and, sure enough, they lost 5 in a row to end the season.

That Browns game should have been a home game instead of in Cleveland.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Ian Fleming said:

I’d add the Blair Thomas fumble at Chicago during Monday Night Football.

I thought the SOJ curse was broken after the Monday Night Miracle and in 2003 with the rise of Pennington and in 2009-10 when Rex beat the Pats the first time he played them. Alas, so many false hopes.

Wow, I didn't think anyone was going to post this.  You beat me to it.  

Thanks but after 54 years, I didn't need the reminders...

Why do you think my moniker is SOJ... different players, different FO, different CS but same results... Irrespective of some posters thinking the JD tear down is the right thing, they have not change the losing SOJ culture at all... and the platitudes and placebos espoused by this used car salesman HC is just that. 

here is a thought, try getting the team ready to play, you know like be competitive even if you don't win, if that is in your vernacular or capabilities.  

7 hours ago, SOJ said:

Thanks but after 54 years, I didn't need the reminders...

Why do you think my moniker is SOJ... different players, different FO, different CS but same results... Irrespective of some posters thinking the JD tear down is the right thing, they have not change the losing SOJ culture at all... and the platitudes and placebos espoused by this used car salesman HC is just that. 

here is a thought, try getting the team ready to play, you know like be competitive even if you don't win, if that is in your vernacular or capabilities.  

Your name is SOJ, but you somehow don't know what Same Old Jets means. SOJ doesn't mean bad football team, because the Lions would also be the Same Old Jets. Today is a shining example of what the Same Old Jets would do. They beat a team that they CLEARLY had no business beating, and with a QB they picked up off the scrap heap. 

The Same Old Jets never tore down and attempted a rebuild like JD is doing. Maybe you should change your name.

• Upvote 1