"Same old Jets" used to mean something different

They're just finding new and exciting ways to be the SOJ !!!!

Yay!

I honestly don't think you finished your original post because you left out the Butt Fumble, Neil O'Donnell hurting himself walking out onto the field, Vinny Testaverde rupturing his Achilles tendon standing still, Bill parcells starting Tom tupa at QB cuz we didn't have a backup and the list goes on!

How about drafting Kyle Brady? How about drafting Kyle Wilson for that matter!? How about the Louisville Slugger.. or Michael Vick who admits in week 6 he's never studied the playbook?

Damn I just suddenly felt like Joe Benigno deserves a hug! My fingers hurt now...

On 10/30/2021 at 11:22 PM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The Jets have sucked for six consecutive seasons, and we've lost sight of what Same Old Jets used to mean. The Same Old Jets as we knew them were laid to rest on January 3, 2016 when the 10-5, win and they're in New York Jets sh*t the bed and lost to a Bills team that only had pride to play for. 

Same Old Jets didn't always mean unwatchable, hopeless football. On the contrary, the Same Old Jets would invent new and exciting ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The Same Old Jets would motor into the 4th quarter with leads only to go into the dreaded prevent defense, which for the Jets meant that it prevented them from winning the game. That, or they would play for the FG instead of staying aggressive and trying to score a TD, and then miss the FG attempt. The Same Old Jets would beat teams that they had no business beating, only to follow it up with an absolute stinker. The Same Old Jets would surprisingly be in playoff contention until late in the season, and end up with a 7-9., 8-8, or a 9-7 record. The Same Old Jets would go 10-6 (playoffs), 4-12, 10-6 (playoffs), 4-12. THAT is what I remember the Same Old Jets being. 

The Same Old Jets did NOT mean six consecutive seasons of futility with the worst 7-9 season in football history. (The Same Old Jets did rise from the dead for that ONE game against the Bengals)

Here are my top 5 Same Old Jets moments:

5. Doug Brien misses two makeable FG's that prevented the Jets from going to the AFC Championship Game. Herm Edwards goes ultra conservative and doesn't try to get better field position for FG attempt. 

4. Ryan Fitzpatrick throws three interceptions and loses to Bills, and misses playoffs

3. Jets start the season at 8-3 with Brett Favre, and end the season at 9-7 missing the playoffs

2. Bill Parcells decides that a Leon Johnson halfback option was a better choice than letting Neil O'Donnell take the Jets to victory in Detroit. 

1. Mark Gastineau spears Bernie Kosar on an incomplete pass that would have resulted in a 3 and 18 in the 1986 AFC Divisional Round of the playoffs. This was the most traumatic loss I have experienced to this day. 

If this were truly the Same Old Jets, the 2022 New York Jets start the season 6-0, and end up missing the playoffs by one game, and that game is lost against a practice squad QB who is only starting because the top two QBs went down. We are watching the New Same Old Jets which is much less fun version of this team. At least the Old Same Old Jets gave you that false hope, which at the end of the day was still hope. 

4. Todd Bowles decides not to play Chris Ivory also... 

7 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Yay!

I honestly don't think you finished your original post because you left out the Butt Fumble, Neil O'Donnell hurting himself walking out onto the field, Vinny Testaverde rupturing his Achilles tendon standing still, Bill parcells starting Tom tupa at QB cuz we didn't have a backup and the list goes on!

How about drafting Kyle Brady? How about drafting Kyle Wilson for that matter!? How about the Louisville Slugger.. or Michael Vick who admits in week 6 he's never studied the playbook?

Damn I just suddenly felt like Joe Benigno deserves a hug! My fingers hurt now...

SOJ doesn't mean every bad thing that has ever happened to the Jets. The Butt Fumble wasn't a SOJ moment. 

The Jets going to the AFC Championship game and being projected as a top team in 1998 only to have Vinny T go down in week 1of 1999 is a SOJ moment. 

Recent examples of SOJ is beating the Titans and Bengals, and following up each win with a loss because the team decided not to show up. 

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Yay!

I f it makes you feel any better Tupa didn't start, he came in after Vinny went down and played better than Mired could probably ever have. Still..yes SOJ