Zack Wilson Can Take a Seat

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

Outside of the diciples of the church of Zachapono on this board, who the hell is giving up 2 first rounders for Wilson? Just sit him until he’s ready (if ever). 

What did Josh Rosen get the Cardinals when they traded him? That's what we would get for Wilson if the Jets traded him. Nobody will give two first rounders for Wilson at the moment.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

I noticed the OL played harder and better for Mike White

he had a clean pocket all day and I didn't see any free rushers coming at him 

It may be what Willie Colon said today, that they may have stopped believing in a QB like Zach Wilson that constantly struggles putting pressure on the defense and the OL. 

25 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Zach’s ceiling is what we just saw today from Mike White. That’s not to say that White will duplicate that performance but Zach would have to have everything break right to produce a similar game. 

Couldn't you say that about just about any QB in the league?

400 yards...Doesn't that have to go right for just about anyone to put up those numbers?  

3 hours ago, heymangold said:

This offense looks like a completely different scheme.  Run this with Zach and see what happens.

Yeah well I think that’s the point. Zach can’t run the offense. Did they switch playbooks in the middle of the game last week as well? Cuz mike white was moving a bit last week as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Couldn't you say that about just about any QB in the league?

400 yards...Doesn't that have to go right for just about anyone to put up those numbers?  

Probably so if you’re looking at passing yards. But White going 37 for 45, 82.1% completion, is exceptional. I don’t know that Zach has the accuracy to do that. 

Today’s game from Mike White is just shocking on multiple levels. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

With all the talk of controversy, I only see one potential controversy and that is if ZW becomes the starter if Mike White continues to play well. Even then, that is a major coaching flaw and not a QB controversy. 

I still believe ZW has more upside potential than Mike White, and Mike White continuing to play well could be the perfect situation for ZW to develop into a FQB as he can sit and learn, and take time to work on those issues he needs to improve.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fusionCA said:

lol

coach says Mike White didn't need a guy talking to him down on the field 

so they had to baby sit Wilson all season long 

Even more comical that the Jets brain trust thought it was okay to just hand him the starting job from day 1 without anyone remotely close to compete for it ??‍♂️

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I bet you get that deal today.  Look at what they gave up for Darnold after three disastrous seasons.   I think Houston pulls that deal today.

If Houston gives up 2 first rounders for Zach Wilson. I personally would drive him to the airport myself nobody be dumb enough to trade for Zach he is clearly the most overhyped draft pick in the history and Douglas sucked into it.My prediction like I said in March Zach will be gone in 2 years and Jets be lucky to get a jock strap for him. Chance of getting  2 first round picks went in April when the Jets held onto the pick and took Zach.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

35 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

People want to compare him to Mahomes, well treat him like Mahomes, SIT HIM and let him learn the offense!  People keep forgetting Pat sat for damn near the whole season.

This is Saleh's fault. Wilson should never have even seen the field and should have been in the press box with LaFleur since day 1. Saleh  yapped that anything is possible regarding White as being the starter. Guess what Bobbie. That includes you as well.  

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

This is Saleh's fault. Wilson should never have even seen the field and should have been in the press box with LaFleur since day 1. Saleh  yapped that anything is possible regarding White as being the starter. Guess what Bobbie. That includes you as well.  

I doubt that important of a decision is being made solely by a first year coach it was most likely an organizational one.

45 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

People want to compare him to Mahomes, well treat him like Mahomes, SIT HIM and let him learn the offense!  People keep forgetting Pat sat for damn near the whole season.

I read an interesting take from Chris Simms, who as everyone knows had Wilson as the top rated QB in the draft ahead of Lawrence.

He said that he still sees potential greatness in Wilson and could care less about the lumps he has taken during the initial handful of games in his career, or ANY of Wilson's stats this year.  His reasoning is that he says that he has already seen Wilson hit about 20 throws THIS year where that if you close your eyes you would swear it was Mahomes or only a few other QB's in the world who could hit them.

Simms thinks that a lot of the "lay up" throws that Wilson has missed is due to him trying to do too much and reverting to how he played at BYU, where he defaulted to always looking for the hi light reel play on his first read and pushing the envelope, that doesn't work in the pros.  Simms has a high level of confidence that Wilson will easily clean this problem up and that by next training camp it won't be an issue and that Wilson's "Special arm talent" still supercedes Any rookie mistakes you're seeing now.

Personally I never expected to see WIlson miss so many easy throws from watching a decent amount of his college tape where he was extremely accurate, so I hope Simms is right.

Regardless, if Mike White continues to show that he can lead an NFL team like he did today (not expecting 400 yards every week), and then concurrently Wilson cleans up lots of what Simms sees as easily correctable mistakes as he adjusts to pro speed, what an awesome and unexpected turn of events for the NYJ that'll be huh?

Potentially TWO dangerous Pro QB's on the same roster, when we are not used to even ONE...over the past 20 years.

Sanchez and Darnold are BOTH looking up at Mike White's stats today.  Neither have EVER had a day like his day today...what a drought.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

We will see how the next couple weeks go, but that was the best QB performance the jets have seen in years.

The offense looked alive for the full game. It wasnt just a couple of flashy plays.

Mike White looked like a vastly better QB than Wilson, and it wasnt even close.

White seems to have a weak arm, but he just takes what he gets and doesnt try to make a highlight reel every play. He just executed the plays as they were called.

If, and that is a big if, because 1 game is just that, but if he continues looking this good you keep playing him. 

Imagine him playing well then you bench him for Wilson who comes back in and stinks up the place again lol.

Again, its 1 game, and it's very possible the Bengals just didnt come to play today and this was just a trap game for them and white stinks next week.

But we shall see! All I know is White looked like a real QB today and Wilson looked like a bust all year.

Does not have a "weak arm", per his scouting report someone posted when he was drafted out of W Kentucky, baseball pitcher "consistently threw 90+ mph".

White has had 3+ years to sit and watch (drafted 2018).....Wilson deserves to be cut some slack at this point.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I see a lot of comments like this today and they make me wonder. Do you think Mike LaFleur is trash but came up with an entirely new scheme this week for Mike White, who presumably you also think is trash, and trained the entire offense to run it efficiently by today? I mean, get real.

It's like when Brian Schottenheimer learned all the good plays to call in the offseason between Mark Sanchez and Russell Wilson.  LaFleur is even more impressive because Schotty had a whole offseason to learn football whereas LaFleur did it in a week.

• WTF? 1

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I see a lot of comments like this today and they make me wonder. Do you think Mike LaFleur is trash but came up with an entirely new scheme this week for Mike White, who presumably you also think is trash, and trained the entire offense to run it efficiently by today? I mean, get real.

I think we have a QB that is actually running the WCO. This looked like the WCO. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Pichula said:

Yea let’s pull the rookie as soon as this coaching staff is starting to figure it out, we need to see Wilson in this style offense to see what we have. White will get 3 more starts. 

Wilson has been in this style O. There is video on one of the games that shows Wilson is missing the guys that White was completing passes to today and Wilson has been screwing up these underneath routes when he does try to hit them. Wilson needs to wear a headset for the rest of the season and we try to bring him back in 2022. This is Whites team for the rest of the season or until he screws it up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

what was the longest pass White completed? I mean in length not YAC. Maybe the one to Moore which was about 20 yards. Totally WCO.

Exactly. It is great that Wilson has such arm talent that he can throw the ball accurately  60 yards in the air but White just thew for 400 yards and 3 TD's by throwing a bunch of 8 and 15 yard passes and letting the receiver make a play after the catch. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

..because the idiocy of starting him to begin with kind of forces your hand.. 

Now, I always say beware the QB with no tape (in a trap game for the opponent). People were pumping on David Mills a few weeks ago. 

However, if White plays just competently again then you can't put Zach back in and you may be torpedoing your 2nd overall pick where if he sat initially then inserting him later in the year would have been fine. Now if Zach comes back in and suck.. there's a controversy and that doesn't end well. 

The thing is, White had a game for the ages. You  play him as long as he is keeping this up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Exactly. It is great that Wilson has such arm talent that he can throw the ball accurately  60 yards in the air but White just thew for 400 yards and 3 TD's by throwing a bunch of 8 and 15 yard passes and letting the receiver make a play after the catch. 
And 2 ints.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

And that takes patience and having the game SLOW down for you. Being comfortble in the pocket, scanning the field through the progressions. That's takes time to learn to do.  And the OL was way way way better in protecting White than in any game this year.  LaFleur also totally changed the tempo and play calling with White in there. And for the first time this year, we actually ran the ball well.  It came together finally for once.  And who the heck threw LaFleur's butt up there in the press box? We've been screaming for this to happen for weeks. Perhaps that absolute embarrasment last week really woke this team up.  Lot of different twists and turns took place this week. It wasnt just White walking into this start and being all that.   They actually revised the offense and opened it up for White and the whole offense responded.  This is an excellent scenario to have now. A QB thats raw and plays lights out in his first game but has been around for 4 years and a potential FQB who is a 23 year old rookie that can sit back and learn like he should have from the start. 

If Zach wasn’t injured I’d start White too on Thursday night and ride him until things south. As for why did the Jets did not have a true Qb competition in training camp I can’t tell you why esp considering our recent past history starting high draft pick QBs and handing them the job with no competition. We’ve had this discussion before starting with Mark and that wasn’t too long ago. And it hasn’t worked out with now 4 Qbs so you’d think this org would learn from experience. But I think with Zach the org felt he had the skills to be a big time franchise QB you could win with for years. Not just an efficient game manager. And this season the offenses feature short to medium passes play action screen passes mixed in with running plays esp draw plays and misdirection. It works we’ve seen it all season long against us and today we did it and it worked for us. The numbers show high success up to 70% pass completions averaging over 5 yards usually longer. And look at the completion percentage of long passes it’s not that high. It’ll be interesting to see Zach back in action and see if he’s learned observing someone else running our offense. I still think he could be pretty awesome and the talent level is higher than these other guys. 

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Does not have a "weak arm", per his scouting report someone posted when he was drafted out of W Kentucky, baseball pitcher "consistently threw 90+ mph".

White has had 3+ years to sit and watch (drafted 2018).....Wilson deserves to be cut some slack at this point.

Okay, but watching the games its abundantly clear White has a weak arm.

Also, why exactly does Wilson deserve to be cut some slack? He was the 2nd overall pick and has looked horrendous.

18 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

And that takes patience and having the game SLOW down for you. Being comfortble in the pocket, scanning the field through the progressions. That's takes time to learn to do.  And the OL was way way way better in protecting White than in any game this year.  LaFleur also totally changed the tempo and play calling with White in there. And for the first time this year, we actually ran the ball well.  It came together finally for once.  And who the heck threw LaFleur's butt up there in the press box? We've been screaming for this to happen for weeks. Perhaps that absolute embarrasment last week really woke this team up.  Lot of different twists and turns took place this week. It wasnt just White walking into this start and being all that.   They actually revised the offense and opened it up for White and the whole offense responded.  This is an excellent scenario to have now. A QB thats raw and plays lights out in his first game but has been around for 4 years and a potential FQB who is a 23 year old rookie that can sit back and learn like he should have from the start. 

Agree. I just hope the CS is willing to let White finish the season. 

• Sympathy 1