Mike “Great” White

Stark

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah.  I’m sure that fully explains why White completed 80+ % of his throws.

It sort of does, our RB had 160 yards receiving. I counted more passes behind the line of scrimmage than past. If he had connected on the wheel (should have been picked) or the deep pass to Moore (over thrown by 10 yards) I’d feel a little more optimistic. The guy was solid, but I don’t see a high ceiling or long term answer. Keep playing him until he sh*ts the bed. I hope to be proven wrong but i don’t see it.

Just now, Pichula said:

Is sort of does, our RB had 100 yards receiving. I counted more passes behind the line of scrimmage than past. If he had connected on the wheel (should have been picked) or the deep pass to Moore (over thrown by 10 yards) I’d feel a little more optimistic. The guy was solid, but I don’t see a high ceiling or long term answer. Keep playing him until he sh*ts the bed. I hope to be proven wrong but i don’t see it.

Really?  What was your final count?  He threw 45 times, so you are saying he threw 23 passes behind the line of scrimmage?  I know you’re pretty much a clown around here but at least try to be somewhat factual.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pichula said:

It sort of does, our RB had 160 yards receiving. I counted more passes behind the line of scrimmage than past. If he had connected on the wheel (should have been picked) or the deep pass to Moore (over thrown by 10 yards) I’d feel a little more optimistic. The guy was solid, but I don’t see a high ceiling or long term answer. Keep playing him until he sh*ts the bed. I hope to be proven wrong but i don’t see it.

Stop.

Zach has been skipping rocks all year on those same types of passes.  I'm not buying into the Great White crap just yet but if you think Zach hasn't sucked this year you're delusional.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Really?  What was your final count?  He threw 45 times, so you are saying he threw 23 passes behind the line of scrimmage?  I know you’re pretty much a clown around here but at least try to be somewhat factual.  

I’ll check his average air yards per attempt when the stats are available but for reference his average was 4 last week. Nearly 50% of his passing yards were to RBs. Clown.

2 minutes ago, Pichula said:

I’ll check his average air yards per attempt when the stats are available but for reference his average was 4 last week. Nearly 50% of his passing yards were to RBs. Clown.

So those were behind the line of scrimmage?  

Again, you are a clown who will probably get banned again and come back with yet another username. 

3 minutes ago, Pichula said:

What does Wilson have to do with anything right now? 

lmao, what?  You're the one arguing that the OC calling the good plays is why White did what Wilson can't/hasn't done.  Now you're actually suggesting Wilson has nothing to do with the discussion on this?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lmao, what?  You're the one arguing that the OC calling the good plays is why White did what Wilson can't/hasn't done.  Now you're actually suggesting Wilson has nothing to do with the discussion on this?

Exactly correct, Wilson is irrelevant when discussing Whites performance. 

1 minute ago, Alentador31 said:

Tom Brady has made a pretty good living dinking and dunking. Not saying Mike White is Brady but he played a good game. Anyone trying to tear him down just has an agenda. 

Yes, but he is also a great deep passer and has a cannon when needed. If white shows that part of his game I will start buying in. 

I think we have an example of two things both being true at once.

Mike White executed the game plan near flawlessy, and the game plan was very different than the first 6 games.

I dont think it means Wilson sucks forever, but it is something to note. End yes Wilson skipped a lot of screen type passes so far, but this misdirection, countering, etc. That just wasnt in the offense to the extent that it was today.

It is what it is.

• Upvote 1

Something I've thought for a while is that the way that NFL coaches are inherently conservative lends itself to the success of the small ball stuff that Our Lord And Savior Mike White executed today. Mac Jones too, I guess. Coaches are so afraid of giving up the chunk play that they'll cede the constant 5-8 yard quick stuff. Make them nickel and dime down the field and if they get close, make em kick a field goal, but don't let them get there all at once and wait for the offense to shoot themselves in the foot on the way. 

5 hours ago, Pichula said:

He is a Mac Jones clone, good processor and good decisions, accurate in short game but not one pass down field today. I really wish he could be the guy but he is too physically limited. 

Lefleur just needs to call his game with Wilson like he did today and we will be special

LaFleur up in the booth today. Like a completely different coordinator. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Pichula said:

Exactly correct, Wilson is irrelevant when discussing Whites performance. 

It's only irrelevant to someone arguing that the only reason White had a good day on a level Wilson hasn't is because of the OC calling the good plays.  Of course YOU would believe Wilson to be irrelevant to the discussion. 

But to anyone else, Wilson's performances to date represent important data points in the topic at hand.  Comparison of the 2 QB's is a natural part of this.  Both QB's are in the same system with the same supporting cast.  How they each have performed in games is more than relevant.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's only irrelevant to someone arguing that the only reason White had a good day on a level Wilson hasn't is because of the OC calling the good plays.  Of course YOU would believe Wilson to be irrelevant to the discussion. 

But to anyone else, Wilson's performances to date represent important data points in the topic at hand.  Comparison of the 2 QB's is a natural part of this.  Both QB's are in the same system with the same supporting cast.  How they each have performed in games is more than relevant.

You are putting words in my mouth. I never said White didn’t play well. I never said that the only reason he played well was because LaFleur called a better game. Now, do I think that LaFleur going up in the booth, calling something other than runs on 1st and 2nd down, and the bengals playing a soft zone all day helped? Yea, I do. I have not seen nearly enough for me to want to start white over Wilson once Wilson is healthy. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

For 2-3 weeks. That’s it. 

I mean, if he replicates today's performance for the next game, how can you not give him more chances?  

I get that the chances of him playing this well on Thursday night are pretty low.  He probably will fall back to earth and make it an easier decision to throw a healthy Wilson back under center.  But if he doesn't?  Then you can't go back to Wilson yet.

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, if he replicates today's performance for the next game, how can you not give him more chances?  

I get that the chances of him playing this well on Thursday night are pretty low.  He probably will fall back to earth and make it an easier decision to throw a healthy Wilson back under center.  But if he doesn't?  Then you can't go back to Wilson yet.

I agree that this will likely get turned into a much easier decision when all is said and done, but if it's not, I think the first move will be a matter of giving Wilson more time to "get healthy".  It's an easy enough excuse to buy yourself a few more weeks, and at least gives more info to work with before having to make a real decision.

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2021 at 4:28 PM, Pichula said:

I will gladly be wrong but there is a reason we didn’t attempt a single pass down field and he overthrew a wide open Moore by 10 yards the one time he did 

i believe the bungles were just laying off the short stuff and white took advantage of it.  as for the pass to moore, it could be he was surprised moore was so open and threw it badly.  it happens.  we'll see soon enough if white can keep being successful.

On 10/31/2021 at 4:27 PM, FidelioJet said:

Just started reading more about him...

White’s arm talent is considered to be one of his best attributes. He can throw the ball with good zip but also with touch when required. As a former baseball player, he was apparently capable of throwing a 90+ miles per hour fastball.

During his first year at Western Kentucky, White led the nation in 30+ and 40+ yard passes, many of which came on downfield throws.

I have to admit that this part kind of surprised me.  So his short passing may have more to do with discipline and what the D was giving him than lack of arm strength.

Looking forward to Thursday to see if he can build on this.

• Upvote 1