Mike “Great” White

Stark

Reading all these posts I get shocked with how many folks around here (not everybody, of course) are determined to spread negative vibes, no matter what the circumstances.  We beat a good team with a pretty much unprecedented performance by a backup in his first NFL start.  What's all the nit-picking and negativism about?  Were you glum on your wedding day?  When your kids were born?  Christmas morning?  Enjoy it.  Or at least allow us to. 

• Upvote 4

He sat, watched and learned.  Maybe that still can mean something in this instant gratification league.  I get it, he could be Eric Hipple for us.  But, until proven otherwise, he can be Kurt Warner.  He's both until the games are played.  I just choose to be optimistic once again.

Besides, predicting someone will suck playing QB in the NFL isn't some bold move.  Most people suck at being an NFL QB. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Reading all these posts I get shocked with how many folks around here (not everybody, of course) are determined to spread negative vibes, no matter what the circumstances.  We beat a good team with a pretty much unprecedented performance by a backup in his first NFL start.  What's all the nit-picking and negativism about?  Were you glum on your wedding day?  When your kids were born?  Christmas morning?  Enjoy it.  Or at least allow us to. 

Because the blind hyping of white is actually negative as it relates to the QB that is actually the future of the franchise. “The offense clicked because white is brady 2.0 and Wilson sucks. End of story”- that is a toxic take IMO. The truth is much more nuanced. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Pichula said:

Because the blind hyping of white is actually negative as it relates to the QB that is actually the future of the franchise. “The offense clicked because white is brady 2.0 and Wilson sucks. End of story”- that is a toxic take IMO. The truth is much more nuanced. 

I don't know who is saying that.  I think most of us think that Wilson is going to be very good.  But regardless, we should be happy that White may be much better than expected. 

5 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I don't know who is saying that.  I think most of us think that Wilson is going to be very good.  But regardless, we should be happy that White may be much better than expected. 

I am rooting for white to be Brady as much as anyone. But until we see him complete a pass past 5 yards it’s hard to get that hyped up in a serious way. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

It's a reaction to the overwhelming negativity from the same Chicken Little posters from August until yesterday.  All we heard from these posters was that Wilson, Saleh, Lafleur, Douglas were all terrible and nothing had changed from the past year or past 52 years.  We heard that immediate changes were needed.  We heard that the season was destined for failure if a veteran QB (like Hoyer or Flacco or Foles - what a group) was not signed to "mentor" the young QBs.  We heard impatience and a desire to have competitive games now - future success be damned.  We heard how great the 2019 7-9 team was under Gase and how 2015 was so much fun.  And then White plays one game and now we have the next Brady/Warner based on that?  Please.  All some of us are saying is pump the brakes and let this play out. This is a long term rebuild and the play to play roller coaster some posters are on is just absurd.

• Upvote 2

It's a reaction to the overwhelming negativity from the same Chicken Little posters from August until yesterday.  All we heard from these posters was that Wilson, Saleh, Lafleur, Douglas were all terrible and nothing had changed from the past year or past 52 years.  We heard that immediate changes were needed.  We heard that the season was destined for failure if a veteran QB (like Hoyer or Flacco or Foles - what a group) was not signed to "mentor" the young QBs.  We heard impatience and a desire to have competitive games now - future success be damned.  We heard how great the 2019 7-9 team was under Gase and how 2015 was so much fun.  And then White plays one game and now we have the next Brady/Warner based on that?  Please.  All some of us are saying is pump the brakes and let this play out. This is a long term rebuild and the play to play roller coaster some posters are on is just absurd.

I don’t even know what you’re talking about. Who said the next Brady? That’s silly. I don’t need to “pump the brakes.” I’m just having some fun with a good win.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I have to admit that this part kind of surprised me.  So his short passing may have more to do with discipline and what the D was giving him than lack of arm strength.

Looking forward to Thursday to see if he can build on this.

For sure. 

It definitely gives me hope beyond it was a fluke or all he can be is a game manager/back up.

Who knows, maybe he figured something out his three years watching.  I mean stranger things have happened.

• Upvote 1

White played a smart game and I give him credit for not pressing. Bengals typically play a soft two deep zone basically keeping things in front giving up the short passing game. Even though the OC called an aggressive game plan, White threw underneath allowing receivers to gain YAC. I believe the difference here is the offense got into a rhythm early especially against a weak box. Zach probably would have thrown into the Bengals strength which is the deep ball. Similar calls executed by processing two different QB's. Zach passes up easy completions. White took them. Looks like it was the execution after all. When the offense stays ahead on early downs, second and short, third and short, the playbook is wide open. Scoring early contributes to complementary football. I wouldn't put White in Canton just yet. Even if he plays well vs Colts.

On 11/2/2021 at 11:08 AM, Uncle Nicco said:

Bro, you come here for nuance??

james franco wtf GIF

On 10/31/2021 at 4:27 PM, Smashmouth said:

Mike White answered a lot of questions today.

Was not LaFleur 

Was not the team not executing

Was not the HC

Was Not Joe Douglas

It Was a QB in over his head and Zach needs time ...that is if Mr. White lets him see the field again. 

Like I said if this kid plays like this for 4 games while Zach is out you have got to be nuts to take him out.

I'm trying not to over react here but this offense was so horribly bad with Wilson at QB you could never expected this to happen especially to a team that has not given up even 25 points in forever. Mike White is not a fluke

The offense looked nothing like the offense that they’ve been running.  Have no clue how anyone watched the Bengals game and didn’t notice that it was crackdown Charlie all day with a few trick plays thrown in