Does Mike White have a realistic chance of keeping the starting job when Zach Wilson returns?

T0mShane

Can Mike White steal the QB-of-the-future job from Zach Wilson?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Can Mike White steal the QB-of-the-future job from Zach Wilson?

From what I saw today with laFleur up in the booth is the HE had a better feel for the game no came out throwing.  Not deep throws.  But high percentage throws. It was a different game plan. The coaching was different as were the personnel sets. Zach will start when he’s healthy. White has been around 4 years, he head a great game today. Let’s beat Indy and have a problem once Zach is healthy.  It would be nice to have those problems. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ZachEY said:

I’m not sure.  The last thing you want is to pull White while he’s doing even okay and have Wilson pick up where he left off.  Fans, and maybe team, turn on Wilson quickly.  That’s a bad situation.

All depends on what we mean by “ok” - but sure 

I actually thought Wilson may have been starting to see the field better in the NE game before he got hurt 

• Sympathy 1

Because QBs make so much that it becomes more difficult to win once you pay them, and it also forces your hand on a decision with a very small sample size.

But the rookie deal is 4 year. Year 5 is also sort of reasonable. If they sit for even two seasons you still have two years to see if they are any good. I just dont see a ton of success with starting rookies from day one. It started with Wentz and Goff - but since them Herbert has really been the only other one to play well in year one. I guess you could also say Mac Jones is playing well. It seems more rare that they play well in year one.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

Mike White played  a great game and the team really rallied around him, very impressive win. I agree with the above,  let Wilson sit and see how White plays. I would like to see how he does throwing down the field as almost half his yards we’re dump offs, but he executed perfectly for his first start. 

I love Zach Wilson and think he is going to be great in this league, but as far as I am concerned, this is white mikes job until he loses it.

His performance today wasnt luck or a freak thing.  What he did today almost no qb in the history of the nfl has ever done.  White Mike is a really good qb.

White Mike is going to have a monster performance Thursday night and the home game against buffalo is going to be the most crazy jet game in the last 10 years.  The stadium is going to go bonkers for our new franchise qb Mike White!

Lets go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

I remember not too long ago that the entire team stepped up instead of Zach Wilson. Could it be that Wilson is holding back the offense? Could it be that the team has lost faith in Zach Wilson and now believe in Mike White and continue to play hard for him? This will be very interesting in the coming weeks if Mike White is able to play good consistent football

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

If Mike White continues to play well and Zach starts when he is healthy this year, I will loose any remaining confidence in the CS,

Let Zach sit and learn and then have a QB competition next preseason. 

I dont even look at it that way.  You play White for the rest of the year. It accomplishes numerous things. It allows White to get experience and allows Wilson to sit back and learn. The team will collectively play better around someone who is more seasoned. Next year we continue to improve the D and offense with picks and FA's.  You see where Zach is next season. He's all of 22 years old. He's just a pup. You dont invest 35M in a kid and a #2 pick and just dump him. It aint happening.  This is a good problem to have. They can even WAIT 2-3 years. Aaron Rodgers didnt play for 3 years and in his first full year, his 4th, went 6-10.  No rush here to be impulsive.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Wilson is definitely the better overall talent, but in my opinion needs a little seasoning to fully reach his potential. I think White should play as long as he is showing he is a competent starter. Let Wilson sit and watch, hopefully absorbing the offense and learning. White playing well will only help Wilson develop his natural talents for next season or the season after that. If he starts to show that he is catching up to his superior talents, then we may also have a very valuable trade chip in White and we can bring in a veteran QB as a backup at that point. Win/Win in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

54 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If he keeps playing like this it's a no-brainer.  But here's the thing.

The number one thing that jumped out to me today was the use of 4 and 5 WR sets.  Up until now it was a TON of 2 TE or 2 back sets with Wilson having 3 receivers to throw to and a couple of guys who are better suited to block.

White had opportunities today that Wilson has not yet had.  Imagine being a QB and having these two groups to choose from as your top guys on game day.  Which are you taking?

Davis, Moore, Crowder, Kroft, Griffin, Wesco

or

Davis, Moore, Crowder, Cole, Mims, Berrios, M. Carter

Even with Davis out today, one is clearly superior to the other with the QB having a chance to exploit some actual mismatches.  

Would love to see Zach with the more wide open attack and more athletic pass catchers.

Except across the board White played much smarter, checked down to the open guys underneath, didn;t force it. His 2 INTs were a tipped pass and another where he drilled the WR in the hand, so accuracy wasn't an issue. In short he played with a higher football IQ. It's his job for now. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jet25 said:

I remember not too long ago that the entire team stepped up instead of Zach Wilson. Could it be that Wilson is holding back the offense? Could it be that the team has lost faith in Zach Wilson and now believe in Mike White and continue to play hard for him? This will be very interesting in the coming weeks if Mike White is able to play good consistent football

Of course Wilson was holding back the offense.  He was struggling to complete dumpoff passes to the running backs.

Mike Lafluer didnt call a different game today.  Mike lafluer was actually able to call plays while not having to hold his qbs hand.  What lafluer has been doing is the equivalent of getting into a fist fight w/ one hand tied behind ur back.  We actually got 1st downs today.  We actually had long drives which lets the oc get in a rhythmn.  Mike lafluer is one of the brightest and best young OCs in the league.

And Im not bashing Wilson.  I think he is going to be great here.  But he is not ready to play right now.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

thank god for the short week. i never been happier for a TNF game. after today i need to see more White sooner then Sunday.

just thinking about how nice a week this will be reading and listening to the Media. were going to get alot of good press this week. its nice for a change.

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Except across the board White played much smarter, checked down to the open guys underneath, didn;t force it. His 2 INTs were a tipped pass and another where he drilled the WR in the hand, so accuracy wasn't an issue. In short he played with a higher football IQ. It's his job for now. 

This was kinda' my point.  It's a hell of a lot easier to operate and make quick decisions when you're able to find mismatches on offense.  Griffin/Kroft/Wesco aren't overwhelming anyone.  

Re-watching now and it's crazy to see how much room some of the backs have out of the backfield because the secondary has to respect the four receivers they're working with down the field.

• Sympathy 2

Honestly, I'd be surprised if the #2 pick doesn't automatically get back on the field once he's healthy, no matter how White is playing. I'm not saying that's the correct call, but Wilson is "the guy". They may hold him out an extra week or two while publicly saying they want to make sure he's 100%, just to save face, but I expect Wilson to start again this season.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Honestly, I'd be surprised if the #2 pick doesn't automatically get back on the field once he's healthy, no matter how White is playing. I'm not saying that's the correct call, but Wilson is "the guy". They may hold him out an extra week or two while publicly saying they want to make sure he's 100%, just to save face, but I expect Wilson to start again this season.

Agreed, although the one thing that could make it tougher is if the locker room decides White is their guy over the next few weeks.  Not that I necessarily expect that to be the case, but that would be a much tougher situation for Saleh than even any thoughts of the fans or media.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Other teams now have some film to scout and will clamp down on the short stuff, next game we better have some deep shots ready to go early next game.

Yeah, that's going to be the key.  Nothing wrong with taking the underneath stuff when they're giving it to you, but if the defense starts to clamp down on those, can White make them pay for it down the field?

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, that's going to be the key.  Nothing wrong with taking the underneath stuff when they're giving it to you, but if the defense starts to clamp down on those, can White make them pay for it down the field?

Best way is to go deep early and show you are willing to do it.  1st play of the game.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Agreed, although the one thing that could make it tougher is if the locker room decides White is their guy over the next few weeks.  Not that I necessarily expect that to be the case, but that would be a much tougher situation for Saleh than even any thoughts of the fans or media.

Yes, that's another element. A fractured locker room would be really bad for this team.

13 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I dont even look at it that way.  You play White for the rest of the year. It accomplishes numerous things. It allows White to get experience and allows Wilson to sit back and learn. The team will collectively play better around someone who is more seasoned. Next year we continue to improve the D and offense with picks and FA's.  You see where Zach is next season. He's all of 22 years old. He's just a pup. You dont invest 35M in a kid and a #2 pick and just dump him. It aint happening.  This is a good problem to have. They can even WAIT 2-3 years. Aaron Rodgers didnt play for 3 years and in his first full year, his 4th, went 6-10.  No rush here to be impulsive.  

I never said anything about dumping ZW. IMO as long as Mike White doesn’t stink things up, you let him play. Next preseason you have a competition to see where they are at and start the better quarterback. I still believe ZW may develop into the better QB regardless if it is this year, next or a couple of years from,now.

Having him sit maybe the best thing for his development. From several earlier interviews he has done, he relishes proving people wrong and being the underdog. It will hopefully take some pressure off him as well. It seems the game has gotten into his head as he didn’t have such a problem with short ball accuracy in college. He even mentioned he is overthinking things. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

I never said anything about dumping ZW. IMO as long as Mike White doesn’t stink things up, you let him play. Next preseason you have a competition to see where they are at and start the better quarterback. I still believe ZW may develop into the better QB regardless if it is this year, next or a couple of years from,now.

Having him sit maybe the best thing for his development. From several earlier interviews he has done, he relishes proving people wrong and being the underdog. It will hopefully take some pressure off him as well. It seems the game has gotten into his head as he didn’t have such a problem with short ball accuracy in college. He even mentioned he is overthinking things. 

I guess you didnt read what I said. Is realy NOT about a QB competition. Its about building a team which is what Saleh preached when he was hired. What they should have done from the begining was sign a vet and have White as the backup and red shirt Zach for the year.  He shouldn't have even played this year. We all knew this. Only ones that didnt for some unbeknownst reason were Saleh, JD and LaFleur. Once Zach matures, then you start him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I really love this take. This is the smartest approach to the situation in my eyes. Hopefully Zach got Rodgers number during TC and Arod can tell him to relax you can't win a marathon on the first mile. I think this helps Zach in the long run and I think he's smart enough to take advantage of the situation instead of being a diva about it.

• Sympathy 1